Author Topic: Tesla Model S, Third Fire  (Read 246637 times)

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
Re: Tesla Model S, Third Fire
« Reply #375 on: November 29, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
Business as usual for Ford... but 3 fires in Tesla is a serious problem...

I don't think anyone here has claimed the Tesla fires are a serious problem for owners. They are a serious problem for Tesla because unlike Ford their ridiculous stock valuation is built from sentiment and speculation and go up in a puff of smoke more easily than their cars.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #376 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23:38 pm »
30 fires from 140000 cars is one out of 4700 cars.
3 fires in 12000 cars is one out of 4000.
All in all Tesla does just as bad as Ford.
Time to check your sources.... My serial number is 28045...
So its 3 in 28000. That's 1 in 9333...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »

Do you know for a fact that the serial numbers are contagious with no gaps?

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2013, 11:54:41 pm »
The Mission of Tesla (18/11/2013) by Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO, after the From a Model S owner in Tennessee (9/11/2013) and the Model S Fire (4/10/2013) formal TESLA MOTORS Corp. announcements.

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #379 on: November 30, 2013, 12:09:43 am »
Do you know for a fact that the serial numbers are contagious with no gaps?

I've never seen one that was.  Many times the date/building/line/etc code is incorporated in the SN, and usually don't start with zero anyhow.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #380 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:56 am »
30 fires from 140000 cars is one out of 4700 cars.
3 fires in 12000 cars is one out of 4000.
All in all Tesla does just as bad as Ford.
But yours isn't on the road like thousands of other Teslas which are ordered but not yet delivered.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #381 on: November 30, 2013, 01:29:57 am »
It's worth noting that it would be better to compare the Tesla in a crash to an ICE in a crash. In this case the Tesla performs worse. Only about 4% of car fires are due to crashes, so it's more like 7,500 cars a year due to crash catch fire. Better than Tesla, as ICEs are at 1 car in 33,750 compared to the current ~1 in 9,000.

But, it's not a big problem, because most cars in any crash severe enough to start a fire would be already wrecked anyway, no major economic loss. The Tesla did well by warning the driver of the fault condition (admirable that it managed to retain traction power despite such severe damage alone!) and it only burned slowly, cabin never reached in all three instances, compared to an ICE fire, which would most likely burn rapidly if due to a crash (fuel leak would be expected, that can mean car engulfed in 15~30 seconds.) Tesla will also cover any battery fire under warranty so insurance shouldn't be affected.

What Tesla has to hope doesn't happen is spontaneous fires, like when charging, parked or driving normally. i.e. like the Fisker Karma.Just reading some of their patents on just their battery technology gives you an idea on how seriously they take this. The battery management system has got to be one of the most advanced ever. Multiple coolant loops, layers of intumescent material, isolation fault detection, two temp sensors per module, etc.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:57:26 am by tom66 »

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:01 pm »
10 DAYS TO GO VINCENT

I definitely want pictures

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #383 on: December 12, 2013, 12:25:44 am »
It's worth noting that it would be better to compare the Tesla in a crash to an ICE in a crash. In this case the Tesla performs worse. Only about 4% of car fires are due to crashes, so it's more like 7,500 cars a year due to crash catch fire. Better than Tesla, as ICEs are at 1 car in 33,750 compared to the current ~1 in 9,000.

Given only 3 data points for the Tesla it's kinda hard to make any real comparison. You could easily have 3 freak underbody accidents (the kind most likely the pierce/short the battery).
Wait until there are a few dozen Tesla's in the usual frontal accidents etc (maybe there have been already and don't get reported because they don't catch on fire?)

But, it's not a big problem, because most cars in any crash severe enough to start a fire would be already wrecked anyway, no major economic loss. The Tesla did well by warning the driver of the fault condition (admirable that it managed to retain traction power despite such severe damage alone!) and it only burned slowly, cabin never reached in all three instances, compared to an ICE fire, which would most likely burn rapidly if due to a crash (fuel leak would be expected, that can mean car engulfed in 15~30 seconds.) Tesla will also cover any battery fire under warranty so insurance shouldn't be affected.

I agree, not a huge deal, it's not the thing exploded.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: December 13, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »
If they want that test data then they just need to sell a few in South Africa, where there are more MVA's per any unit you care to use, though admittedly most involve minibus taxis and buses.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #385 on: December 14, 2013, 02:13:00 am »
There have been at least 9 other Tesla's involved in accidents. T-boned ,full frontal impact , and others. Zero people hurt , zero fires.

One car got T-boned on the driver side by a big cadillac escalade.
Any other car and you , and the other occupants, would have been dead. The crossbar protecting the battery pack protected the car side from being crushed. Pictures circulate on Tesla forum. In a regular car the width is typically compressed to 1/2 the original width of the car. the tesla only compressed a few inches.

German safety board finished their fire investigation. Result : Not an issue with the car . Perfect safety bill ( and this coming from the Germans known for their grundlichkeit and non-german car aversion)

I don't care. 9 more days and i'll be grinning ear to ear and doing the tesla nod

Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
I don't care. 9 more days and i'll be grinning ear to ear and doing the tesla nod

You bastard.
That is all.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2013, 02:30:38 am »

You bastard.
That is all.
smell my tailpipe  ;D

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #388 on: December 14, 2013, 05:06:50 am »
smell my tailpipe  ;D
Trick question as a pure EV doesn't have one.

I have thought about the Tesla (and other EVs), but I would like to see a range extender trailer (OEM or third party) for the times I drive long distance. (Thought about DIYing one but I already have plenty of stuff to work on...) Until then, looks like my only option is to stick with (plug in) hybrids...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #389 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:44 am »
smell my tailpipe  ;D

Go suck on your tailpipe and... oh...

I can get 2nd hand iMiev here for under AU$20K
About the only affordable electric car in this country.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: December 14, 2013, 05:47:45 am »
I saw a Porsche Cayenne 4s ( it was brand new, less than 1000km on the clock) that was t boned by a Hiace. Cayenne went 50m sideways down the road, and taxi made a new drive through window into the block where I was staying. Driver of the Porsche was uninjured aside from glass scratches, despite the impact having been on the drivers door and A pillar, bending the car into a banana. Airbags worked as designed, and after the accident the door still was openable ( screeching bent and buckled metal) and still closed and latched fully, and would still lock. Taxi was 18 injured, but the driver did a runner, later was arrested on scene when he came back looking for his stuff.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #391 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »
There have been at least 9 other Tesla's involved in accidents. T-boned ,full frontal impact , and others. Zero people hurt , zero fires.

One car got T-boned on the driver side by a big cadillac escalade.
Any other car and you , and the other occupants, would have been dead. The crossbar protecting the battery pack protected the car side from being crushed. Pictures circulate on Tesla forum. In a regular car the width is typically compressed to 1/2 the original width of the car. the tesla only compressed a few inches.
That depends a lot on which cars you are comparing. There are lots of differences in build quality and safety. I once saw picture of an accident where a car drove into the side of a VW (VW standing still in front of a traffic light). Next to the VW was a Chrysler PT Cruiser waiting for the same traffic light. The VW got pushed onto the PT Cruiser and even though the VW took most of the hit there was little left of the PT Cruiser (driver RIP) while the driver of the VW walked away.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #392 on: December 14, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »
smell my tailpipe  ;D
- Your favorite Fukushima picture here -  >:D

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: December 14, 2013, 12:15:28 pm »

Reminds me of the best TV show ever:      :-DD

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: December 14, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »
Though there can be positive effects........

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2013, 02:30:22 pm »
If you can afford a Tesla, you can afford solar panels and (small) wind turbines.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2013, 02:44:09 pm »
I think this is her sister.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: December 14, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
Just when I thought my X-Mas was complete...

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #398 on: December 14, 2013, 09:42:43 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Please see the below link about an issue, I had previously been unaware of. Bricked $40,000 battery packs, not covered by warranty. I admit I do not know all of the facts on this one, so please feel free to hold forth.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/119799-could-a-bricked-tesla-battery-cost-you-40000

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #399 on: December 14, 2013, 10:40:12 pm »
that was the roadster.

Model S warranty covers battery. even if user stupidity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf