Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142573 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1600 on: July 25, 2020, 09:09:07 pm »
I doubt they'll ever change their view, but they are starting to get hit in the pocket. People are getting tired of subsidizing this rubbish. Parents who have worked their guts out to be able to send their kid to uni are winding up with an angry little brat who calls it's parents vile names for doing so. Parents talk to other parents. And they are starting to figure out that the majority of uni courses are dumb and more importantly bad for the kid.
People have been talking about this for some years, so if parents are reacting it seems to be very slowly.

Yes but this year a few parents I know with kids in high school during all this madness have changed their tune now that they are shopping around for the kid's next adventure. In the last few years, I've seen them go from being all-in for uni to having a lot of doubt.

iratus parum formica

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1601 on: July 25, 2020, 09:19:39 pm »
Drooping this...
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1602 on: July 25, 2020, 09:21:43 pm »
Makes me want to go out and set something on fire.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, MK14, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1603 on: July 25, 2020, 11:55:16 pm »
I’m booking first ticket to Mars at this point.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Kjelt, MK14

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: July 26, 2020, 12:18:04 am »
I’m booking first ticket to Mars at this point.

I thought that the protesters, complained that M**s, was now a terrible racial swear/slur word, and to be banned from everywhere.
Because of its religious connotations, and connections to Greek mythical superbeings, and Roman emperors.

So, it is now called, SLMC7.
Which stands for:
Superbeings Lives Matter Colony 7.

Similarly, Jupiter, is now being called BD139.
Because BD139 stands for Best Developer 13th (precinct) 9th division.
By coincidence, it also was a type of transistor.

EDIT: Just in case:   :-DD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:44:03 am by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1605 on: July 26, 2020, 12:30:57 am »
 :o
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1606 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:59 am »
They will need air locks on Mars and resources would all be precious. Those sorts of people would get “spaced” in two minutes flat  :-DD

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1607 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:41 am »
I remember a time when Mars wasn't the kind of place to raise your kids. Starting to look like it's the go.

iratus parum formica

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1608 on: July 26, 2020, 10:20:00 am »
I thought that the protesters, complained that M**s, was now a terrible racial swear/slur word, and to be banned from everywhere.
Because of its religious connotations, and connections to Greek mythical superbeings, and Roman emperors.

Not quite. Mars is the Roman god of war (*) and the Romans renamed the red planet to Mars. The Greek counterpart is Ares.

*) An early version of Mars was also responsible for agriculture.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1609 on: July 26, 2020, 12:34:57 pm »
The more I learn about human genetics, the more foolish groups which focus on dividing people into different races becomes. There's great genetic diversity in human populations across the world, but the lines between one human race and another are very blurred.

It's no secret that most so-called African-Americans are part European, due to the rape of slaves in the colonial era, but many Americans who consider themselves to be of entirely European decent have signifiant DNA from Africa. It's interesting to see how some white Americans react when they found out they're partly black!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/they-considered-themselves-white-but-dna-tests-told-a-more-complex-story/2018/02/06/16215d1a-e181-11e7-8679-a9728984779c_story.html

Let's stop putting people into groups: black, white, Hispanic etc. It would help to combat lots of the problems in our society.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1610 on: July 26, 2020, 01:08:53 pm »
It's no secret that most so-called African-Americans are part European, due to the rape of slaves in the colonial era

Oh please! Long before the colonial era, the moors went throughout Europe capturing white slaves, JFYI.

"It was estimated that white slaves in Moorish servitude reached 1.2 million by 1780. Not that the Moors limited the system, such as it was, to Europeans. In 1591 a Moorish expedition headed south to smash the black Songhai empire, motivated primarily by gold and secondarily in taking black slaves. If one wasn’t a subject of the kingdom, they were equal opportunity oppressors. Nor were they the only ones—in the 13th century participants in the Children’s Crusades who naively obtained passage aboard ships run by unscrupulous crewmen were taken to Egypt, to be sold into slavery there"

"He who is without sin can cast the first stone"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:13:42 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1611 on: July 26, 2020, 01:32:17 pm »
It's no secret that most so-called African-Americans are part European, due to the rape of slaves in the colonial era

Oh please! Long before the colonial era, the moors went throughout Europe capturing white slaves, JFYI.

"It was estimated that white slaves in Moorish servitude reached 1.2 million by 1780. Not that the Moors limited the system, such as it was, to Europeans. In 1591 a Moorish expedition headed south to smash the black Songhai empire, motivated primarily by gold and secondarily in taking black slaves. If one wasn’t a subject of the kingdom, they were equal opportunity oppressors. Nor were they the only ones—in the 13th century participants in the Children’s Crusades who naively obtained passage aboard ships run by unscrupulous crewmen were taken to Egypt, to be sold into slavery there"

"He who is without sin can cast the first stone"
I know that and even said so in another post, which I can't be bothered to find in this huge arse thread.

What's your point?

You seem to have missed mine. To summarise.
1) Most Americans have DNA from all over the world.
2) Dividing the human race into black/white is retarded, as where one race becomes another is arbitrary .

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1613 on: July 26, 2020, 01:49:37 pm »
Good job it’s on change.org  :-DD

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1615 on: July 26, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »
The whites are blacks who lost their dark skin color. ;) We all have our roots in Africa. It's called evolution.

Almost all living people outside of Africa trace back to a single migration more than 50,000 years ago:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/almost-all-living-people-outside-africa-trace-back-single-migration-more-50000-years

And there are more facts which are ignored or not talked about. Black people can be racists too. Ask black-white couples!

We could be happy humans if we would treat each other with respect, no matter which skin color, religion, walking barefoot or driving a Ferrari. Words aren't the problem. The problem is in your mind!

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1616 on: July 26, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »

Not quite. Mars is the Roman god of war (*) and the Romans renamed the red planet to Mars. The Greek counterpart is Ares.

*) An early version of Mars was also responsible for agriculture.

You're right, that is the same or similar, to what google searches said, before I posted it.
But, I changed it, on purpose to 'Superbeings'. because I wanted to change it, to make the joke work the way I wanted (without needing to include religious terminology).
Also, I remember movie(s), which seemed to portray them as more like superbeings. Can't remember exact name of film, but it was 'Hercules' or a similar type of film. From around the 1960s.
tl;dr
I'd changed it on purpose, it was a joke.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1617 on: July 26, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
No worries! Even I was able to understand your joke. Anyway, also a joke should get the facts right. :)

PS: I had to learn Greek and Roman mythology in school.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1618 on: July 26, 2020, 02:45:42 pm »
And there are more facts which are ignored or not talked about. Black people can be racists too. Ask black-white couples!
Much of what is being called racism today is just the effect of being the odd person out. Anyone substantially different from the bulk of the group they are located in stand outs, and there are some who will be against them for it - they could be black, white, tall, short, fat, thin, smart, stupid, fast, slow, strong, weak, hard working, lazy. Whatever makes you stand out makes you a target for people near the average who are programmed to find deviations from the centre of any bell curve distasteful.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, MK14

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1619 on: July 26, 2020, 03:01:49 pm »
The whites are blacks who lost their dark skin color. ;) We all have our roots in Africa. It's called evolution.

Almost all living people outside of Africa trace back to a single migration more than 50,000 years ago:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/almost-all-living-people-outside-africa-trace-back-single-migration-more-50000-years

We could be happy humans if we would treat each other with respect, no matter which skin color, religion, walking barefoot or driving a Ferrari. Words aren't the problem. The problem is in your mind!

You'd think that ADOS peeps would be grateful that the masters were so generous to bring so many to the brave new world since they missed out thousands of years before.

iratus parum formica

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1620 on: July 26, 2020, 03:06:42 pm »
I somewhat remember, a similar thing, to the theme of this thread (challenging master/slave), something around 25 to 35+ years ago. It was an attempt to make things much more inclusive (around male/female terms), a sort of women/female-movement.
E.g. Renaming of Firemen, Policeman, Postman, Binman, etc. As well as many other things, to 'balance out', the mix of sexes (male/female), across jobs, and make it much fairer, for women.

E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_the_Elimination_of_All_Forms_of_Discrimination_Against_Women
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_equality

So, around 1980 I guess, so approximately 40 years ago.

What you want/need here, is equal opportunity, to do the different jobs, regardless of disability, age, male/female, weight, height, background, race, religion, etc etc. With (hopefully) obvious exceptions.

But what you don't want/need, is to force each job type, to have a mixture/balance, EXACTLY the same level as in the general population. Because if you force it, it can mean that unsuitable people are given the job, who are not really interested in it. Which can be damaging for that job function.

I.e. If you are suited to be an Electronics Engineer, then you can be, even if you are different to the normal profile of an Electronics Engineer.
But, forcing, e.g. 50% of them to be female, could mean that you end of with people, who are not interested in engineering, and it could damage the quality of the items, or lead to sky high salaries, in order to attract, the few, genuine engineers, from that category.

I.e. Equal opportunity, not forced percentages, imposed on employees.
Get the job(s), because of your merits for doing the job, not because you tick the population mix percentage tick boxes.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1621 on: July 26, 2020, 03:17:47 pm »
I somewhat remember, a similar thing, to the theme of this thread (challenging master/slave), something around 25 to 35+ years ago. It was an attempt to make things much more inclusive (around male/female terms), a sort of women/female-movement.
E.g. Renaming of Firemen, Policeman, Postman, Binman, etc. As well as many other things, to 'balance out', the mix of sexes (male/female), across jobs, and make it much fairer, for women.

E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_the_Elimination_of_All_Forms_of_Discrimination_Against_Women

What you want/need here, is equal opportunity, to do the different jobs, regardless of disability, age, male/female, weight, height, background, race, religion, etc etc. With (hopefully) obvious exceptions.

But what you don't want/need, is to force each job type, to have a mixture/balance, EXACTLY the same level as in the general population. Because if you force it, it can mean that unsuitable people are given the job, who are not really interested in it. Which can be damaging for that job function.

I.e. If you are suited to be an Electronics Engineer, then you can be, even if you are different to the normal profile of an Electronics Engineer.
But, forcing, e.g. 50% of them to be female, could mean that you end of with people, who are not interested in engineering, and it could damage the quality of the items, or lead to sky high salaries, in order to attract, the few, genuine engineers, from that category.

Get the job(s), because of your merits for doing the job, not because you tick the population mix percentage tick boxes.

You've got to understand that the agenda is so sinister that it doesn't care about consequences you mention.

iratus parum formica

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1622 on: July 26, 2020, 03:24:31 pm »
You've got to understand that the agenda is so sinister that it doesn't care about consequences you mention.

I hope the agenda, is to make society, a nicer, fairer, happier, environment, for everyone.
But, sometimes, the way they try and achieve this (politically), ends up being unfair, to many other people.
(Difficult to give examples, without creating political discussion, so I'll stop here, and not give examples).

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1623 on: July 26, 2020, 03:24:41 pm »

That's true. The biggest problem with quotas an so-called positive discrimination is it doesn't result in the best people for the job being chosen. Suppose an organisation has a target for employing a certain percentage from a minority group: how would a person from said minority's colleagues feel if the know they got the job, purely for being from a minority? This doesn't promote respect or tolerance, just more bigotry.

True and skin colour is only one physical attribute, along with eye and hair colour. White supremacists like to think humans became more advanced, as they migrate away from Africa and became lighter skinned, but human brain size has actually decreased since the stone age, as we evolved complex civilisations, yet skin colour can change much more rapidly than that.

It's not known why human brains shrank and whether we've gotten less intelligent as a result.
https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/if-modern-humans-are-so-smart-why-are-our-brains-shrinking

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1624 on: July 26, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »

Its worse that just getting unsuitable people. Its a recipe for greater human misery, as people get bullied into doing things they don't want to do, and prevented from doing things they do want to do. Many studies show that Western women have been getting less and less satisfied with their lives since the 1960s, so the current course doesn't seen to be bringing them any joy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf