Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 146195 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1225 on: July 14, 2020, 08:31:47 am »
 :o
iratus parum formica

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: July 14, 2020, 08:39:27 am »
He's not wrong but is not going to be popular this week. Sort of like when he started praising Trump  :palm:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1227 on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:49 am »
The worst bit of this is not them changing the words.  It's them projecting THEIR racism onto words we all use.  By pointing at an innocent term and declaring it racist... is racist.
I am livid that they are projecting their racism onto me.

THIS.

Not just terms, but things you say. They are the ones that see *insert ism here* into everything everyone says, and then proceed to call that person a *insert ist here*. And then the muppets on twitter pile on without even thinking or bothering to ask the person if they meant any *insert ism here* by it.
Don't ask me how I know this for a fact...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1228 on: July 14, 2020, 08:41:18 am »
He's not wrong but is not going to be popular this week. Sort of like when he started praising Trump  :palm:

The normies are just mad cos Scott has got himself a little hottie.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, GeorgeOfTheJungle, bd139

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1229 on: July 14, 2020, 08:49:20 am »

Another classic example of how polarised people are and how they project things onto people.
Adam's didn't praise Trump back in the day, he merely analysed his speech and mannerisms and persuasive skills etc (he is educated in this field) and based on this predicted that Trump would win when no one was else predicting that. But because of Trump derangement syndrome, you aren't even allowed to discuss stuff like that or you are instantly branded a Trump supporter. He instantly lost almost all his speaking gigs as a result.
Nuance and rational discussion and analysis in anything is dead.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2020, 08:55:13 am »
He instantly lost almost all his speaking gigs as a result.

He's worth 70m apparently.
iratus parum formica

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:05 am »

Another classic example of how polarised people are and how they project things onto people.
Adam's didn't praise Trump back in the day, he merely analysed his speech and mannerisms and persuasive skills etc (he is educated in this field) and based on this predicted that Trump would win when no one was else predicting that. But because of Trump derangement syndrome, you aren't even allowed to discuss stuff like that or you are instantly branded a Trump supporter. He instantly lost almost all his speaking gigs as a result.

Fair point!

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1232 on: July 14, 2020, 10:03:17 am »
Yesterday's Dilbert has comments that are tangentially relevant to this discussion.

I expect there will be a few follow-on cartoons

Yep:

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1233 on: July 14, 2020, 10:04:40 am »
He instantly lost almost all his speaking gigs as a result.
He's worth 70m apparently.

Sure, but he probably really likes doing his speaking gigs.

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1234 on: July 14, 2020, 10:17:20 am »

Only dead where the outrage Mob holds Power - People still discuss in their homes and places like this Forum. I personally am not afraid of speaking my mind, not in Public either or at my workplace.

On a side note:
Monday Night they poured red color on a Statue of David de Pury in Neuchâtel. The removal of the color of course payed by the taxpayer.
A far relative of de Pury suggests to do more research into his relative instead of tearing down the Statue.
A grave mistake IMHO but this person probably still thinks these people behave rationally and objective.

The statue was placed there 150 years ago in gratitude for de Pury donating all his wealth to his hometown. Wealth of which some part was made with slave trade.
At this point Switzerland was an extremely poor country and it was used for mostly public buildings like a school and a Library.

I wish the slavers of today would be hold to the same standards of the people who profiteered of it 150 years ago. But I guess that would not fit these Marxists worldview.
As easy as paint by number.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #1235 on: July 14, 2020, 10:24:15 am »
The worst bit of this is not them changing the words.  It's them projecting THEIR racism onto words we all use.  By pointing at an innocent term and declaring it racist... is racist.
I am livid that they are projecting their racism onto me.

THIS.

Not just terms, but things you say. They are the ones that see *insert ism here* into everything everyone says, and then proceed to call that person a *insert ist here*. And then the muppets on twitter pile on without even thinking or bothering to ask the person if they meant any *insert ism here* by it.
Don't ask me how I know this for a fact...

People miss their lynchings, and have found new mechanisms.

Allied with that is the recent populist "don't believe experts" meme, which has its own (longstanding) variant visible on this forum.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:07:17 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: July 14, 2020, 11:07:46 am »
Is there a list of words that are now forbidden in any engineering context? Obviously, 'master' and 'slave', but also 'black' and presumably 'white'. Have I missed any (and about to get lynched for using them)?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1238 on: July 14, 2020, 11:14:32 am »
Only dead where the outrage Mob holds Power - People still discuss in their homes and places like this Forum. I personally am not afraid of speaking my mind, not in Public either or at my workplace.

Yep, it's almost entirely centered on Twitter.
Unfortunately the media fuel the fire and think that a few retweets on Twitter constitutes public opinion.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1239 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
Wow - I really was just joking!  :palm:

Careful, you can get cancelled for a joke.
I wish that in itself was a joke, but it's not.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1240 on: July 14, 2020, 12:43:20 pm »

It seems to me that extreme polarisation is exaggerated when a country uses a two-party political system.

Each of the two parties normally try to cover the center as well as "their" side of the divide.  During times such as today when there is more polarisation, both parties leave the center ground barren and focus on their core supporters.  Meaning that "balanced" people have nobody to vote for...

This effect isn't quite as pronounced in countries that have multiple political parties and proportional representation.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1241 on: July 14, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »

I think it a bit more than just an issue of nuanced discussion. A huge number of people confuse "is" with "ought". It has happened in this very thread. If you say something is going to happen you will usually be attacked by people claiming you are in favour of it happening.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1242 on: July 14, 2020, 12:54:27 pm »
I know and I'm sorry. They should follow the NFL Redskins lead (bad word but I had to use it here) and rename the Masters (inappropriate word to use here) golf game.

But look - this is no joke! The EEVBlog forum it littereed with a certain bad word.

What are you going to do about this?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:21:01 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: July 14, 2020, 01:57:40 pm »
]
But look - this is no joke! The EEVBlog forum it littereed with a certain bad word.
What are you going to do about this?
Ban anyone that complains is the easiest solution  :)

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, ealex, xrunner, GeorgeOfTheJungle, SilverSolder, kizmit99

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: July 14, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »
This thread is getting too tedious to bother with. I'm outa here and am going to go work on a SPI slave driver for STM32F7.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1245 on: July 14, 2020, 04:19:28 pm »
so when are the american single phase wiring colours getting changed,cant have active blacks and white neutrals,what about the whites who want to be active or the blacks who prefer to be neutral

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1246 on: July 14, 2020, 04:25:43 pm »
And why is GND always black and has a lower potential than any other colour?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: July 14, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »
In US mains cables white is neutral and black is live.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1248 on: July 14, 2020, 04:47:04 pm »
That's true. And on the subject of color codes, 0 is black, 1 is brown, 4 is yellow and 9 is white. Which is why we have rainbow cable, so all of the electrons can play nice. I just hope modern schools are not teaching the same ryhme/mnemonic for the resistor color code that they did in my engineering class. Because that would be really bad. No REALLY bad. :wtf:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:51:58 pm by Syntax Error »

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1249 on: July 14, 2020, 04:56:23 pm »
I just hope modern schools are not teaching the same ryhme/mnemonic for the resistor color code that they did in my engineering class. Because that would be really bad. No REALLY bad. :wtf:

What? Black boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly? That's what we were taught, but in recent years it's become bad boys...
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf