Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142794 times)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1050 on: July 06, 2020, 03:45:44 am »
For crime, as an example, they usually show a sketch or a picture as well as describing the person. Black male, white male, hispanic male, facial hair, height, weight, eye color, hair color, distinguishing marks etc... If someone is wanted for questioning it really is a matter of being as descriptive as possible otherwise you're going to get a lot of useless info or absolutely none because nobody could be sure. In typical conversation it's the same, if you want to give someone a sense of the person to whom you're referring you don't just say my friend some guy. Especially when more description helps the story... I won't give any real examples of this because I'm sure someone would be offended. If you think mentioning details like race breeds racism then I don't know what to tell you. Every race commits crime so you're either going to be against every race or you're just going to consider it one of many details of the incident.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1051 on: July 06, 2020, 06:11:45 am »
Yes but I was talking about the media and the people watching or reading the media are not people who are going to look for a perputrator and even when they do it has not much added value of narrowing the fitting group of people from 16 million to 0,8 million, still a needle in an haystack.
And if they do they should do it for everyone, they never say white native dutch person, then it is not mentioned.

Tv shows that ask the audience to look out for somene and show their picture or drawing is indeed another case where it is usefull to provide as much information.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1052 on: July 06, 2020, 07:29:44 am »
The truly sad thing here is that all this crap is creating divisions where there used to be none.

I remarked earlier on the renaming (in Australia) of a lolly (candy) called a Redskin. Perhaps I thought it fairly innocent because to me it was just a red lolly I would ask for as part of a bag of mixed lollies at the corner shop way back when I was a kid.

But today I found this as part of an editorial in a newspaper written in a newspaper in South Dakota in 1890. It shows that the term Redskin is more weighty than just a name a child uses to buy 10cent of lollies.

"The proud spirit of the original owners of these vast prairies inherited through centuries of fierce and bloody wars for their possession, lingered last in the bosom of Sitting Bull. With his fall the nobility of the Redskin is extinguished, and what few are left are a pack of whining curs who lick the hand that smites them. The Whites, by law of conquest, by justice of civilization, are masters of the American continent, and the best safety of the frontier settlements will be secured by the total annihilation of the few remaining Indians. Why not annihilation? Their glory has fled, their spirit broken, their manhood effaced; better that they die than live the miserable wretches that they are."

So the divisions are not always recent inventions.

I saw it here https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2010/10/27/130862391/l-frank-baum-advocated-extermination-of-native-americans

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1053 on: July 06, 2020, 08:03:50 am »
[...] The Whites, by law of conquest, by justice of civilization, are masters of the American continent, and the best safety of the frontier settlements will be secured by the total annihilation of the few remaining Indians.[..]

Except that the indians were first class citizens in the rest of the (hispanic) American continent, and had been so since the beginning.

Whoever wrote that had no idea?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1055 on: July 06, 2020, 10:00:40 am »
I just had an epiphany! Red light generally means something bad! Code red, Red fault/error diodes, Red alert... That's clearly racist against redheads and Native Americans. The solution, all visual indications must henceforth be of the same color.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1056 on: July 06, 2020, 10:21:50 am »
And hi again https://www.zdnet.com/article/mysql-drops-master-slave-and-blacklist-whitelist-terminology/
From that link:

According to the company, Twitter's engineers plan to remove nine insensitive terms, including whitelist, blacklist, master/slave, grandfathered, various gendered pronouns, and terms like man hours, sanity check, and dummy value. Each will be replaced with the following new terms, Twitter said.

Told you it never ends. Hope everyone enjoys the future they are creating.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1057 on: July 06, 2020, 10:23:42 am »
Indeed. Ushering in an age of newspeak.

Misguided good intentions can do more harm than anything.

Edit: oh and fuck “y’all” as a replacement for anything. Idiocracy here we come.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1058 on: July 06, 2020, 10:52:02 am »
Wait, DUMMY value now?  Children suck on dummies.  Are we saying they now suck on placeholders?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #1059 on: July 06, 2020, 11:08:58 am »
"Grandfathered" != "legacy", in many walks of life.

Example: people that were driving cars in 1935 (when the driving test was introduced) never had to take the test; they had "grandfather rights". Indeed my grandfather never did take a test, despite driving into the 1980s when he was in his 80s. There are other examples in aviation.

As for "y'all" or "folks", no. Just no.

Having said that, I think "allow list" is better than "white list"; the meaning is explicit rather than having to be inferred.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1060 on: July 06, 2020, 12:27:16 pm »
Yes but I was talking about the media and the people watching or reading the media are not people who are going to look for a perputrator and even when they do it has not much added value of narrowing the fitting group of people from 16 million to 0,8 million, still a needle in an haystack.
And if they do they should do it for everyone, they never say white native dutch person, then it is not mentioned.

Tv shows that ask the audience to look out for somene and show their picture or drawing is indeed another case where it is usefull to provide as much information.
I agree. When the authorities are looking for a perpetrator, it's important to give a compehensive description: sex, skin/hair/eye colour, ethnicity, accent etc. but once they're found them, that all becomes irrelevant. The only exception is if the crime is believed to be motivated by racism/religion/xenaphobia.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1061 on: July 06, 2020, 12:32:33 pm »
Wait, DUMMY value now?  Children suck on dummies.  Are we saying they now suck on placeholders?

Car manufacturers use crash test placeholders to test the safety of their cars, and bookshops are selling new editions of "HTML for Placeholders" and "C for Placeholders" while hams need to replace their dummy loads with placeholder loads for compliance reasons. :-DD
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:36:30 pm by madires »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1062 on: July 06, 2020, 01:43:16 pm »

Wait what?
Replace Master/Slave with primary/standby uhhhhhhhh how does that ever going to work?
When a primary device gets no answer from one of its standby devices this standby device is probably in standby mode.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1063 on: July 06, 2020, 02:23:45 pm »

Wait what?
Replace Master/Slave with primary/standby uhhhhhhhh how does that ever going to work?
When a primary device gets no answer from one of its standby devices this standby device is probably in standby mode.

Main/Secondary is the only one I've seen so far that makes any sense to me!  (so we can keep MOSI/MISO etc intact)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:26:53 pm by SilverSolder »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1064 on: July 06, 2020, 02:46:03 pm »
"Primary/standby" is not a correct replacement for "Master/slave" in its normal technical usage.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1065 on: July 06, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
Master/Servant makes more sense.  But probably too close to history too, after all at some point black people have probably been underpaid servants.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1066 on: July 06, 2020, 03:06:12 pm »
If your preferred beverage is black coffee or black tea you'll will be in trouble soon. :scared:

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1067 on: July 06, 2020, 03:13:18 pm »
In New York City, they drink "regular coffee", which there means "with cream and sugar".  Elsewhere, "regular" is the opposite of "decaf".  See what happens to precision when technical terms mutate randomly?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #1068 on: July 06, 2020, 03:43:31 pm »
Indeed. Ushering in an age of newspeak.

Misguided good intentions can do more harm than anything.

Edit: oh and fuck “y’all” as a replacement for anything. Idiocracy here we come.

Clearly, you aren't from Texas.  :-DD All y'all are gonna be converging.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1069 on: July 06, 2020, 03:47:02 pm »
oh and fuck “y’all” as a replacement for anything. Idiocracy here we come.
Mocking Texans like that is deeply offensive. Cancel the perpetrator for life.

Actually, most of the suggested substitutes just trade one kind of offence for another, while reducing clarity. Maybe the reduction in clarity is the real goal here.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1070 on: July 06, 2020, 03:57:28 pm »
My only issue with y'all is that even before the newspeak regulations it was EVERYWHERE on twitter. I hate twitter so I have to hate y'all. Nothing is more annoying (to me) than some random new yorker saying y'all.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: July 06, 2020, 05:43:22 pm »
Apparently now the "OK" hand signal signifies white suppremacy?  :-//

https://komonews.com/news/local/osp-says-troopers-hand-signal-at-salem-protest-wasnt-racist

You can't make this stuff up. Do people have any idea how ridiculous it all sounds to any rational person? I'm afraid I will never understand how so many people cannot comprehend that words simply convey a message and trying to ban words will never have the effect they seek. A new word or symbol can be assigned to the offensive message almost instantly while everyone else is still scrambling to come up with a new politically correct term for the last word that the twitter mob suddenly decided was offensive.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1072 on: July 06, 2020, 06:36:28 pm »
I’m at the point where I’m going to buy some popcorn for when people have had enough of this shit and smack it back to reality.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #1073 on: July 06, 2020, 06:54:25 pm »
It's clear that all this nonsense is doing is accomplishing nothing but dividing people further from each other, no matter how much touchy-feely 'inclusiveness' is preached. The people pushing this are acting like a bunch of toddlers who aren't getting their way. Whatever happened to just being an adult?  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, james_s

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1074 on: July 06, 2020, 07:31:24 pm »
"Grandfathered" != "legacy", in many walks of life.
That's just one example. Another example - blacklist. A summary term for entities/places/people/devices/brands that should be denied/avoided/checked with extra care/blocked... Not half of the use cases are covered by the word denylist. There's a restaurant blacklist. What's the newterm for that? Avoidlist? Great, instead of one summary term we get 10 terms. Whooptydoo. Finally we have defeated racism.

Did anyone complain? How does being triggered by a generic industry term even work? Do the affected parties just drop in the middle of a meeting because someone said 'blacklist' and start crying? I'm having a tough time visualizing a person who would actually have these sorts of issues in real life.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: george.b

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf