Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 146333 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1000 on: July 03, 2020, 02:05:44 am »
Just saw this reading news -
https://www.fidelity.com/news/article/top-news/202007021839RTRSNEWSCOMBINED_KBN2433E4-OUSBS_1
I hope they break something the process in a way which is hard to detect but which will cause them some huge problems/losses in the end. Cannot stand doing some bullshit job just for the sake of doing it.

Online splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: July 03, 2020, 02:39:08 am »
There have been many proposals to replace 'Master' with 'Controller'; whilst this is clearly an honest attempt to provide a neutral alternative it reflects the proposer's lack of understanding, probably because they don't have the lived experiences of millions of British people, of how vile this term this actually is.

In the UK many generations were brought up on a popular animated children’s TV programme called 'Thomas the tank engine', narrated by the Beatles drummer, Ringo Starr, and later by Michael Angelis, sadly recently deceased. After the steam and diesel railway engines, the main character was known as 'the fat controller'. Obviously, in the previous century peoples' feelings were irrelevant but in this new age of enlightenment we can now understand how insensitive such monikers were.

The term 'fat' may be an accurate descriptive term for a model character in the upper quartile bodyweights of model character populations but the problem arises because the controller was almost always angry - mostly about trains that didn't run on time. The effect was that young impressionable minds were inculcated with the certain knowledge that fat model characters, and by extension fat real people, all have negatively connotated anger management issues.

Fortunately the US viewers were spared this anti-fat hatefulness because someone, properly educated in sensitivity appreciation studies, picked up on the problem and demanded changes to ensure the character was only ever referred to by his proper title Sir Topham Hatt. Even though the US version of the controller isn’t depicted as fat (which presumably is upsetting to fat people as being unworthy of being controllers on US TV) many will make the connection with the original, offensive version. Knighted gentry (those invested with the title ‘Sir’ by the British queen), trawling through old internet postings will discover and be upset by the implication that their peer group have a tendency to irate personality disorders.

This leaves many millions of Britons and probably many citizens worldwide of nations who bought the rights to the original, unexacerbated version, scarred for life with strong associations between the word 'controller' and fatists with their offensive, morally repugnant viewpoints. You can't use 'Director' as a euphemism either as the fat controller was described as the fat director in the original books on which the TV series was based. You might get away with it though, for awhile at least, as that isn't widely known.

And in case someone doesn't get it, the above is written with tongue in cheek - please don't claim that I'm trying to suggest a moral equivalency between human slavery and fatism. Please understand my viewpoint – almost every word will have negative associations for somebody.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:47:41 am by splin »

The following users thanked this post: Simon, PlainName, nuclearcat

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: July 03, 2020, 06:14:53 am »
I know you are trolling, but you need to try harder. Why do you bother with this shit? You don't fool anyone.

A lot of negative comments were deleted, before the thread was locked.
Haha, the reality is much simpler ;D
I didn't see the deleted comments because they were deleted and I don't care about this drama enough to research it beyond whatever links are posted in this thread.

That being said, I can say from experience that you may start getting used to such state of affairs. We have had the exact same discussion in software, with the exact same people like you crying that it's just some vocal minority of troublemakers, nothing to see here, move along.

Then this minority turns out to be major enough that they pass their "resolutions", delete your posts, and now big American software companies are removing ungoodspeak from their internal codebases behind the scenes. Speaking of politicians, they jump on those hype trains and people vote for them. Besides, the votes are pretty much guaranteed anyway because the other guy is a nazi.

Not all, but many of you, badasses, will one day check your privilege and publish apologies.

Such is life, man. It's not a conspiracy theory nor a joke.
For me it's Deja Vu.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:39:56 am by magic »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1003 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:39 am »
On the whole corporate virtue signalling: Corporations do not care about causes, they are in it for the cheap marketing and good will. That's it.

See: https://9gag.com/gag/aYy7wBO?ref=android
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1004 on: July 03, 2020, 06:23:02 am »
Oh a joke it is. The suggestion that using words not directed at people is offensive to people whilst the thing the word describes still goes on is so stupid that words cannot describe how stupid it is.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1005 on: July 03, 2020, 06:35:16 am »
On the whole corporate virtue signalling: Corporations do not care about causes, they are in it for the cheap marketing and good will. That's it.
Depends. Have you not seen the video of Google CFO or something like that crying after the 2016 US election? ;D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1006 on: July 03, 2020, 06:38:03 am »
Depends. Have you not seen the video of Google CFO or something like that crying after the 2016 US election? ;D

Did they cry for George Floyd? thought not!

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: July 03, 2020, 07:09:06 am »
Just saw this reading news -

JPMorgan drops terms 'master,' 'slave' from internal tech code and materials

Great.  That's my door step it's on.  This could get ugly for me.  I refuse.  Point blank.  I refuse on the grounds that this move is RACIST.

So I might end up working elsewhere.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: July 03, 2020, 08:51:49 am »
I'm glad I work at an organisation that has a shallow enough hierarchy so that there isn't anyone idle enough to fuck around with this shit and burn money on it.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: July 03, 2020, 09:10:13 am »
Has a replacement term already been chosen for the academic degree between bachelor and doctor?
(BTW, degree probably hold by many of those who are proposing this terminology change).

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #1010 on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:14 am »
Has a replacement term already been chosen for the academic degree between bachelor and doctor?
(BTW, degree probably hold by many of those who are proposing this terminology change).

Or for a male who is too young to be a "Mister"?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: July 03, 2020, 08:58:08 pm »
For an EE I vote for Megger, A Megger in the science of Electrical Engineering, sound perfect for me if the name was not a trademark.

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #1012 on: July 04, 2020, 01:57:39 am »
I feel sorry to refuel this topic, but i think this article of Ray Bradbury from 1979 is very relevant: http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
      The point is obvious. There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist/Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib/Republican, Mattachine/FourSquareGospel feel it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme.

Fire-Captain Beatty, in my novel Fahrenheit 451, described how the books were burned first by the minorities, each ripping a page or a paragraph from the book, then that, until the day came when the books were empty and the minds shut and the library closed forever.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #1013 on: July 04, 2020, 08:11:20 am »
i thought they were just perverted, I never figured the race relationship

how about stop being lazy and call it a control chip and a controlled chip. its too advanced for mashed potato explainations

I personally like it because it uses more ink if you write a uni directional control channel. too many confusing distillations, usually used to keep education and skill level costs down, at the expense of causing massive confusion down the line.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:18:37 am by coppercone2 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: July 04, 2020, 08:59:39 am »
I feel sorry to refuel this topic, but i think this article of Ray Bradbury from 1979 is very relevant: http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
      The point is obvious. There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist/Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib/Republican, Mattachine/FourSquareGospel feel it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme.

Fire-Captain Beatty, in my novel Fahrenheit 451, described how the books were burned first by the minorities, each ripping a page or a paragraph from the book, then that, until the day came when the books were empty and the minds shut and the library closed forever.

That was an exceptionally good read. Right on point.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #1015 on: July 04, 2020, 10:13:11 am »
Someone posted following link in another forum:
'Unintelligent' blacks 'brainwashed' to choose street cred over success: Charles Barkley: https://www.al.com/news/2014/10/unintelligent_blacks_brainwash.html

So you can't simply blame racist whites, it's also blacks among themselves.

And we have more do-gooders:
Twitter engineers replacing racially loaded tech terms like 'master,' 'slave': https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-engineers-replace-racially-loaded-tech-terms-like-master-slave/

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1016 on: July 04, 2020, 10:16:27 am »
i needs to be a gradual process. If people are thick they are thick and will be unsuccessful or end up as criminals. I have always thought there is an element of culture but you'd get called a racist for saying that. At the end of the day you came to the UK, live like us or be a dropout.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1017 on: July 04, 2020, 10:30:18 am »
Twitter engineers replacing racially loaded tech terms like 'master,' 'slave': https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-engineers-replace-racially-loaded-tech-terms-like-master-slave/
Finally, racism has been solved.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1018 on: July 04, 2020, 10:40:09 am »

I looked at Twitter's own twitter account the other day, and holy activism Batman!  :o

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1019 on: July 04, 2020, 11:21:54 am »
Twitter, the company that allows the US President to post racist and divisive tweets, but hey, they're tackling racism by changing master and slave!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1020 on: July 04, 2020, 11:32:20 am »

I looked at Twitter's own twitter account the other day, and holy activism Batman!  :o

Good god, I got to the reason being "rekick" and just stopped reading, so reboot, bootstrap, is there something wrong with these too? what about bootloader?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: July 04, 2020, 11:46:36 am »
Did you guys just mention "holy" and "God"?  :scared:  :D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1022 on: July 04, 2020, 11:49:05 am »
holy shit, holy crap, holy how - come get me suckers  :-DD :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: July 04, 2020, 11:49:39 am »
No one has invoked Godwin yet so we’re good I think.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1024 on: July 04, 2020, 12:09:40 pm »
who's that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf