Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142897 times)

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #875 on: June 29, 2020, 08:01:19 pm »
When there's a lynch mob with pitch forks outside saying what they want to hear is the easy way to avoid trouble

That is just one of the reasons voting in elections are secret
Does it even has smell of voting or any kind of technical discussion?
Either they are just riding hype train for sake of publicity, or it is newspeak-ish "Prayer Test" for witches, that those dues hurrying to pass, hoping they wont be burned.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #876 on: June 29, 2020, 08:25:42 pm »
Oh this just gets better by the minute. I bet all the Chinese companies writing data sheets for their ICs are really giving a flying fuck about some irrelevant virtue signalling fart generators selling overpriced crap on the other side of the planet deciding to get together and whine about a couple of words. Literally just sitting there pissing themselves laughing.

The whole thing is as ridiculous as Adafruit’s wearable arduino tat section.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #877 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:29 pm »
Oh this just gets better by the minute. I bet all the Chinese companies writing data sheets for their ICs are really giving a flying fuck about some irrelevant virtue signalling fart generators selling overpriced crap on the other side of the planet deciding to get together and whine about a couple of words. Literally just sitting there pissing themselves laughing.

If I was a teenager, I'd be making cool wearable stuff for my girlfriend.  We are just getting too old and grumpy, and our wives probably have more expensive tastes now too!  :D

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #878 on: June 29, 2020, 08:39:14 pm »
Asians gotta be laughing their ass but they will also do that nonsense for money. They aren't your saviors, only you and card carrying white supremacists will keep using master/slave :P

The problem with taking things too far like this is that people will tune out
How can you tune out of some idiots going out of their way to make your life just a little bit more miserable each day, day after day?
It's simple dude: go out on the street to support BLM and maybe one day racism will end and so will your misery. Virtue signaling on the Internet about that one black coworker you once had who wasn't offended by nothing doesn't buy you a pass anymore, and for good reasons :P

In general,
The weird thing is I am what people what describe as a progressive liberal. I'm that guy who asks people not to use sexist or homophobic language. Now I suddenly find I am on "the wrong side", and the mob has pitchforks and they are coming for me.
it serves you well (and that's a plural you, by the way :P) to see a bit of the other side of the pitchfork :box:

I'm positive that none of the people who post in this forum are 'white supremacists' as this article suggests.
That's two counts of wrong; the article literally says nothing like that and I remember one rather vocal neo-nazi who used to post here.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #879 on: June 29, 2020, 08:44:41 pm »
That is sadly the state of a lot of things in the Western society - there's an insane amount of time and resources being funneled into solving imaginary problems.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #880 on: June 29, 2020, 08:49:39 pm »
It's not imaginary problems but imaginary solutions to real problems that they keep creating.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #881 on: June 29, 2020, 09:14:49 pm »

If I was a teenager, I'd be making cool wearable stuff for my girlfriend.  We are just getting too old and grumpy, and our wives probably have more expensive tastes now too!  :D

She’d look like a value brand Borg.

It's not imaginary problems but imaginary solutions to real problems that they keep creating.

Nailed it.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #882 on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:25 pm »

She’d look like a value brand Borg.

In some cases, that would be a significant upgrade! :D

The following users thanked this post: james_s, bd139

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #883 on: June 30, 2020, 02:12:39 am »
I have my own reservations about the necessity of changing some terminology rather than focusing on certain aspects of society, at present, to be more important and impactful regarding racial inequality but just to add a suggestion to the pot I propose the replacement terms Moderator and User.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #884 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:31 am »
It’s official. The Open Source Hardware Association has jumped the shark. SPI has been cleansed in accordance with political correctness, Master/Slave is no more.

https://www.oshwa.org/a-resolution-to-redefine-spi-signal-names

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #885 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:05 am »
Since the IDE hard drive, I have always wondered if someone would make it an issue

I like the first suggestion. Main and secondary..simple  same initials, I like this. Main and secondary..it works

COPI ? it took me long enough to figure out the difference between the Master and slave of hard drives.
can we just use the first suggestion? maybe a slow transition towards COPI?

So what C-cops? and P-perps?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:43:05 am by TheNewLab »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #886 on: June 30, 2020, 02:41:10 am »
It’s official. The Open Source Hardware Association has jumped the shark. SPI has been cleansed in accordance with political correctness, Master/Slave is no more.

Quick, better scrub the internet of every last datasheet and application note so that the evil words may be removed from view.  :palm:

Look, I totally agree with them that humans should be treated with respect. A bus is not a person, however.

1984: it was a warning, not a handbook!!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #887 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:45 am »

This might be the most succinct expression I've seen of why people are mad at all this nonsense.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #888 on: June 30, 2020, 02:57:40 am »

This is so mind-numbingly stupid! I absolutely refuse to use the new terms, I will not cave into the over the top PC nonsense and perpetuate the euphemism treadmill. It's ridiculous and it will never end. Screw these organizations and their time wasting virtue signalling.

Are they not aware that SDI is already taken by a digital video standard? This is a perfect example of creating completely unnecessary confusion to appease people who are clueless about the field they are trying to change.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:11:23 am by james_s »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #889 on: June 30, 2020, 03:01:02 am »

This is so mind-numbingly stupid! I absolutely refuse to use the new terms, I will not cave into the over the top PC nonsense and perpetuate the euphemism treadmill. It's ridiculous and it will never end. Screw these organizations and their time wasting virtue signalling.

Eventually, this will be the future:

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #890 on: June 30, 2020, 06:55:44 am »
since when does SPI have an IO? it's either one or the other, the open source hardware foundation have just introduced so much confusion that the terms will never stick!

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #891 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:12 am »
since when does SPI have an IO? it's either one or the other

Welcome to the "I missed that one too" club from earlier up the thread. A microcontroller, for instance, can have pins that change direction depending on whether it is a master or slave.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #892 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:36 am »
since when does SPI have an IO? it's either one or the other, the open source hardware foundation have just introduced so much confusion that the terms will never stick!

SPI can be 4 or 3 wires, with the data line switching direction

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #893 on: June 30, 2020, 09:33:50 am »
- We are the anti-authoritarian Good People™.
- ?
- Here is the list of words you are not allowed to use, or you will be Excised from All Good Communities™.
- Wha..?  Why?  That makes no sense at all!
- Racist!  Racist!  We will burn you at the stake, you nonbeliever offensive racist you!
(Gets burned to the death on the stake)
- Okay, who's next?  Is it time for lunch yet?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #894 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:24 am »
Another tidbit about the OSHWA's resolution is that they associate slaves with black people which can be seen as racist. Oopsie! Are words racist or people? Maybe the OSHWA should ban itself. >:D
The so-called Black Lives Matter movement do the same, perhaps we should ban them too?

The odd thing is I used to support them, until the way they showed a blatant disregard for human life, by forming huge crowds in the middle of a pandemic. I now call them No Lives Matter and if people think that's racist, I don't give a fuck. Most of those involved in the protestes are students who are fed up with staying in, as the colleges, universitys and clubs are closed and need an excuse to get out. They don't really care about the lives of blacks, or anyone else's.

Oh well, this stupidity hit hackaday as well.
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/29/updating-the-language-of-spi-pin-labels-to-remove-casual-references-to-slavery/
Someone coined very well in comments:
"This is what psychologists call “displacement activity”. When you can’t directly change something, people change something else that they can, even if it is not relevant."
And worst part, those who push those changes often belongs to ancestors of enslavers. Either they feel guilt, but dont want to do something real, either just trying to close our eyes to the shameful past of their ancestry.

Don't get me started on white guilt, which is just nonense. No one should be made to feel guilty for the actions of their ancestors, which they have no control over. Making someone feel bad about themselves because of their race/ancestory is racist and biggoted. I'm in favour of banning the term white guilt.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #895 on: June 30, 2020, 09:49:21 am »
- We are the anti-authoritarian Good People™.
- ?
- Here is the list of words you are not allowed to use, or you will be Excised from All Good Communities™.
- Wha..?  Why?  That makes no sense at all!
- Racist!  Racist!  We will burn you at the stake, you nonbeliever offensive racist you!
(Gets burned to the death on the stake)
- Okay, who's next?  Is it time for lunch yet?

Zero tolerance to intolerance.  They see no irony.  They see no injustice.  They see no fault.
I mentioned this to a bunch of them online on FB and they retorted I should read the "Paradox of tolerance".  However, ironically (recursive irony), the concept they are referring to is a miss-contexted reading of an old book where the original author was actually suggesting that social justice has no place in a democracy and showing intolerance to intolerance has no place outside of the law of the state or the courts and "the law of the people" should have no say.

"Love thy neighbour."
"What about them over there?  They once hated something."
"Did I stutter?  LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR"
"But, but, but, we don't want to love them, or them, and they say things we don't like, so we don't love them...."

Although personally I draw the line at flat Earthers.

Anyway, it's a long held suspicion that the emerging culture of "inclusiveness" has slowly turned into fascism.  They create little circles of like minded folks and when someone shows up and counters their "beliefs" and culture, they ostrasize them out into the cold, banishing them.  The irony is so thick you could choke on it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:53:30 am by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #896 on: June 30, 2020, 10:01:12 am »
Zero tolerance to intolerance.
The term "zero tolerance" was only created because even intolerant people knew the word "intolerance" sounds bad.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #897 on: June 30, 2020, 10:15:41 am »
I found two of my male BNC connectors next to each other.
Are they GAY????

The following users thanked this post: Simon

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #898 on: June 30, 2020, 10:27:48 am »

Yeah, thanks, take note guys:

Endorsements
Individuals and companies welcome (Email info@oshwa.org to be added to the list below)

Adam Benzion, Hackster.io
bunnie, bunniestudios
Glenn Samala, Sparkfun
Harris Kenny, OSHdata
Jason Huggins, Tapster Robotics
Jonathan Georgino, Binho LLC
Joshua Lifton, Crowd Supply
Libi Striegl, Media Archaeology Lab
Limor Fried, Adafruit Industries
Matthias Tarasiewicz, RIAT Institute
Nathan Seidle, SparkFun Electronics
Phil Torrone, Adafruit Industries
Shawn Hymel, Hello Blink Show
Steven Abadie, OSHdata
Tod Kurt, ThingM
Tom Igoe, NYU ITP
Joel Murphy, Pulse Sensor
Yury Gitman, Pulse Sensor

Even though OSHWA aims to be international, it's interesting (but not surprising) how the list of endorsers is made of only US persons/companies.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #899 on: June 30, 2020, 03:59:55 pm »
Another tidbit about the OSHWA's resolution is that they associate slaves with black people which can be seen as racist. Oopsie! Are words racist or people? Maybe the OSHWA should ban itself. >:D
The so-called Black Lives Matter movement do the same, perhaps we should ban them too?

The odd thing is I used to support them, until the way they showed a blatant disregard for human life, by forming huge crowds in the middle of a pandemic. I now call them No Lives Matter and if people think that's racist, I don't give a fuck. Most of those involved in the protestes are students who are fed up with staying in, as the colleges, universitys and clubs are closed and need an excuse to get out. They don't really care about the lives of blacks, or anyone else's.

Oh well, this stupidity hit hackaday as well.
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/29/updating-the-language-of-spi-pin-labels-to-remove-casual-references-to-slavery/
Someone coined very well in comments:
"This is what psychologists call “displacement activity”. When you can’t directly change something, people change something else that they can, even if it is not relevant."
And worst part, those who push those changes often belongs to ancestors of enslavers. Either they feel guilt, but dont want to do something real, either just trying to close our eyes to the shameful past of their ancestry.

Don't get me started on white guilt, which is just nonense. No one should be made to feel guilty for the actions of their ancestors, which they have no control over. Making someone feel bad about themselves because of their race/ancestory is racist and biggoted. I'm in favour of banning the term white guilt.

Might call it being guilty while white?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf