Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142737 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2020, 09:04:04 pm »
As soon as a new euphemism for a group is generated, the general public, not known for empathy, will use it as an insult.  For example, the terms “moron” and “imbecile” were supposed to be more charitable than “idiot”, and “challenged” became an insult.

When I was a kid, "retarded" was the politically correct term, then it became an insult and then I remember hearing other euphemisms, I think "developmentally disabled" was the next one that became common, and then "special", ...

Pronounced, in the playground as "speeeshuuul" in a sing-song tone.

The meaning is the same, no matter how it is pronounced.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #526 on: June 19, 2020, 07:42:01 am »
Quite, changing the term does nothing and is worse as it just ignores the problem which is worse. Just brushing it under the carpet and renaming things is causing the perpetuation of the problem and makes those pretending to solve the problem incompetent and they are just causing more harm. But instead they get a pat on the back for "fixing" it by changing a name.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #527 on: June 19, 2020, 07:44:03 am »
I continue to use the term "retarded" to refer to many braking and decay processes.  I don't see how it should be offensive, it's literally French for *slow*.  I would never use it to refer to a person,  because that could be offensive.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #528 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:19 am »
I continue to use the term "retarded" to refer to many braking and decay processes.  I don't see how it should be offensive, it's literally French for *slow*.  I would never use it to refer to a person,  because that could be offensive.

The grey area that got me flack, though I stood by it, was referring to a local political parties policies as retarded.

While there was a small element of being nasty, I defended it because the party is well know for still trying to bury itself in the 19th century.... so it's policies are the opposite of advanced.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #529 on: June 19, 2020, 07:56:59 am »
Quite, changing the term does nothing and is worse as it just ignores the problem which is worse. Just brushing it under the carpet and renaming things is causing the perpetuation of the problem and makes those pretending to solve the problem incompetent and they are just causing more harm. But instead they get a pat on the back for "fixing" it by changing a name.

Compare and contrast that with "top" managments' corporate rebranding exercises.

Usually, but not always, that is due to either too many underemployed chiefs finding make-work, or a company in the doldrums and management being clueless about how to solve that.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #530 on: June 19, 2020, 08:10:14 am »
Alternative terms, without further comment: controller and responder.

Not my idea; see https://www.eetimes.com/its-time-for-ieee-to-retire-master-slave/

I have created software entities that I've called "comptroller", but that's completely different :)

The following users thanked this post: Fred Basset

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #531 on: June 19, 2020, 08:11:43 am »

Compare and contrast that with "top" managments' corporate rebranding exercises.

Usually, but not always, that is due to either too many underemployed chiefs finding make-work, or a company in the doldrums and management being clueless about how to solve that.

I do use the term special needs as a word of offense, not because it is used to refer to people with learning disabilities but because I see the sort of people trying to make these silly changes as special because they are demanding special treatment so they have special needs or are "special". How special or special needs has anything to do with learning disabilities or metal retardation I don't know. So now the word special which is linguistically a positive word is used negatively. It's crazy. I likely have aspergers, I would like to be called special for the particular skills i have but instead it has a negative connotation and signals that i am inferior.

So much language is changed these days to soften meaning and make it more pallatable. Just try listening to talk about military vehicles and weapons. Instead of calling them what they are I hear terms like, platform, system, munitions, engage and many more I can't care to remember. i never hear the words weapon, tank, gun, attack, kill, destroy which is what military equipment is about. Who are we trying to kid? We make stuff that kills people if we feel they are a threat, why do we have to soften the language?

With the constant change in terms and dumbing down of terms we are converging on a situation where you can't discuss anything properly because everything is a "thingy", we have stopped using the proper descriptive words in case we offend someone.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #532 on: June 19, 2020, 08:20:38 am »
the party is well know for still trying to bury itself in the 19th century.... so it's policies are the opposite of advanced

Perhaps 'vintage' was the word you were looking for.

Or maybe not :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: June 19, 2020, 08:26:10 am »
... I likely have aspergers, I would like to be called special for the particular skills i have but instead it has a negative connotation and signals that i am inferior. ...

I have sympathy with all that.

So much language is changed these days to soften meaning and make it more pallatable. Just try listening to talk about military vehicles and weapons. Instead of calling them what they are I hear terms like, platform, system, munitions, engage and many more I can't care to remember. i never hear the words weapon, tank, gun, attack, kill, destroy which is what military equipment is about. Who are we trying to kid? We make stuff that kills people if we feel they are a threat, why do we have to soften the language?

Words are slippery. Old joke...

The different branches of the military are told to "secure the building". The marines storm it, the army establishes a defensive perimeter, the navy paints it, and the air force acquires a 5 year lease with option to buy.

With the constant change in terms and dumbing down of terms we are converging on a situation where you can't discuss anything properly because everything is a "thingy", we have stopped using the proper descriptive words in case we offend someone.

Or worse, stopped communicating because it might unwittingly offend somebody.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #534 on: June 19, 2020, 09:00:49 am »
Now that they want to remove statues, the saying "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" comes to my mind.

In fact, I bet they don't even know/understand the whole history behind the people, circumstances and context of those whose statues they want to remove.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:27:15 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #535 on: June 19, 2020, 09:01:16 am »
Alternative terms, without further comment: controller and responder.

Not my idea; see https://www.eetimes.com/its-time-for-ieee-to-retire-master-slave/

To paraphrase the Carly Simon song ....  "You are so vain" .. "you think this term is about you".
After Llloyds , who will be apologizing next , compass ,  sail manufactures and shipbuilders ?
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2020, 09:08:33 am »
Is subnormal offensive too? Because that's what I think they are. What's the proper newspeak(*) term?

(*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:18:03 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2020, 09:21:13 am »
When a minority can impose its views on the majority, isn't that a perversion of democracy?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: June 19, 2020, 09:25:48 am »
Not sure what your experience is of the software industry, but I have always found the environment quite calm.
Well, my experience was always being an ambitious kid and hanging out with other ambitious men and preferring high gain / high risk over sure gain / low risk. I know a few competent female programmers and all of them work cozy corporate jobs and would never think of going to some crazy startup and ordering pizza at 16 to sit until night and get some complex feature done with the buddies after all the chit-chat of normal working hours is gone. I know men who do that, I have never seen a woman like that. And then feminists are envious of the achievements of the most talented, hardest working and also most lucky of some seriously obsessed nerds and think that there was some conspiracy to keep them out of the boys club.

At any rate, it's true, there is a "culture problem", if you insist that it's a bug and not a feature. Simply blaming the gender gap on women avoiding STEM topics as such doesn't explain the entirety of the gap, IMO.

This is perhaps not representative of the "median" industry experience, but it gets media attention when some kid achieves staggering success from his garage and then everybody asks why it had to be yet another boy and not a girl this time.

Also it has to be said that software nerds can be weird and quirky and it takes some thick skin to deal with it. Another disadvantage for women because they simply aren't thick skinned.

By the way, you fell for a meme (or I fell for Poe's law?)
You do know that software or rather programming was invented by a woman?
It really wasn't if you mean Ada Lovelace. Programmable computer (and by necessity - some program to run on it) was the idea of Babbage after he got tired of designing fixed-function automatic calculators for various complex formulas. Other kinds of programmable automatons using punch cards already existed, though weren't exactly Turing complete. What Ada did clearly see was an opportunity for advancement of science (and a business) in trying to tame his aspergeric tendecies, write about and popularize the idea, stop offending people left and right and get that shit built :)
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2015/12/untangling-the-tale-of-ada-lovelace/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:45:52 am by magic »

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2020, 09:28:46 am »
When a minority can impose its views on the majority, isn't that a perversion of democracy?

There is word for that:
ter·ror·ism

/ˈterəˌrizəm/

noun: terrorism

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    "the fight against terrorism"
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
Or worse, stopped communicating because it might unwittingly offend somebody.

This.

Tangent, but as a single 40yo I have completely given up trying to find a woman.  It's too fucking dangerous these days.

On work and university social media boards I see women posting pictures, some pretty racey and they are littered with comments from other women like, "Wow! Hot!", "Love it babe!", "Hot, hot, hot", "Yummy mummy!"

Now, as a man if I posted something as simple as "You are very pretty."  I'd be fucking skinned alive.

Best to avert your eyes, avoid talking to them when you can and heaven forbid don't whatever you do compliment them.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2020, 09:56:35 am »

There is word for that:
ter·ror·ism

/ˈterəˌrizəm/

noun: terrorism

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    "the fight against terrorism"

You mean like the USA these last 3 or 4 decades?

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2020, 11:21:54 am »
IMO all is happening dont have anything to do with democracy. It is just small bunch of bored & spoiled rich infantiles want to play heroes and "save some poors and unfortunate ones". But as nobody taught them to think properly and also they are lazy to do hardwork (as it is required to be a real hero and reduce poverty) - they are completely satisfied with renaming words, harassing people they dont like, and bending others freedom to their liking, like forcing to do symbolic useless acts (like forcing police to knee, instead of real changes, or companies to change few comments in code).
The main problem is that they adapted so well that they abuse the freedoms of countries they live in to the maximum in their own selfish interests. And the rest of the people are stuck in the fact that if they try to shut them up, this is a beginning of the end, because you can't reduce freedom only part of people you don't like, your freedom will be next.

P.S. I require tolerancy to my condition! Don't call me "old fart", i'm vintage natural gas generator!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26:02 am »

It's all in the context. The minority should expect equal respect from the majority but may have do demand it if they are being targeted because they are a minority. It's when the majority have to bend over backwards for unreasonable demands that you have a problem.

The thing is everyone wants to work in absolutes.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:08 pm »
Video removed. This is not the place for such things.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:44:27 pm by EEVblog »
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2020, 01:33:03 pm »
I believe he drew first? was he prepared to kill? but yes it seems like a long sentence, what do cold blooded white murderers get?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2020, 01:43:17 pm »

It's worse than that. Caving in and changing terms empowers the complainers further to do it again, and again, and again....
The worst is when you aren't even using the word to insult someone and you are using it in some other innocent context, but someone gets offended by it anyway, and still maintains the outrage even after that is explained to them. These people need to be flatly told to just piss off.

Oh, and the person complaining almost always isn't part of that group they are complaining the word is offending.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, rsjsouza, wraper, SilverSolder, nuclearcat

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2020, 01:47:24 pm »
Every techie knows what this means - you don't even have to read the article (overly long, you know the examples better than the author does), but here it is if you want:  https://www.cnet.com/news/master-and-slave-tech-terms-face-scrutiny-amid-anti-racism-efforts/

I've been against this in the past because I thought it would create confusion.  Now that I think about it, if we can all (100% of the industry - think IEEE directive) agree on the copypasta, this might be a good and feasible thing.

I propose changing MASTER to PRIMARY and SLAVE to SECONDARY.  Since MASTER and SLAVE are words that are not otherwise often used in technology, probably updating documents is as simple as doing a replace on these two words, with a quick check.  Induhvidual engineers will probably not adopt the new words orally until there is a new generation, but who cares.  Update the documentation, wait for the results, less irritated people.

What do you think?

Bugger off (in the nicest possible way), go and solve real problems in the world.

Apparently I'm late to this 22 page party, just found it. What did I miss?  :popcorn:
Let me guess, there are probably two maybe three posters advocating for changing it because "well, why not, what's the harm in not offending people?"  ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:54:01 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2020, 01:49:47 pm »
There is word for that:
ter·ror·ism
In terms of justice their is no "minority" and "majority"... either there are crimes or there are none. Making such distinctions makes such discussions drift into social topics and points of view.

I do ofc know that there are crimes committed by people making these distinctions or living in their own little bubble, but undermining the concept of equal justice is the first step to the kangaroo court and dictatorship. Such dictatorships then usually turn against all of its own citizens, because that's where the majority is and over-represented niche cases never cut the mustard, so new scapegoats need to be found.

I admit that there is somewhat of a blind spot in there, when it comes to governments trying to offset inequality - but that is based on law and therefore not a crime.
Support your local planet.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #549 on: June 19, 2020, 01:57:06 pm »
Oh, and I'm pretty sure this thread is going to go off the rail if it hasn't done so already, so please keep it fairly on-topic. No obvious segues into BLM etc please.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf