Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142621 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50:16 pm »
As for the specific issue at hand: I don’t have a strong opinion on it either way.

But food for thought: the last slaves in USA died around 80 years ago. Slavery is way, way closer to the present day than we give it credit. It’s no wonder it’s still fresh in the black American psyche. Likely millions of elderly Americans still alive today knew someone who had been enslaved. And the effects of segregation directly affect black Americans right now, today, still.

When I was younger, I had much more of a “they need to get over it” attitude. But as I’ve learned more about the modern, post-slavery history of black America, I’ve become far more understanding of the issues they face to this day. I hope you guys become a bit more sensitive to it, too.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2020, 10:56:00 pm »
Close:  the last slave  (Sylvester Magee) died almost 50 years ago in 1971.  His age at death is controversial, since slaves didn't have proper documentation.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2020, 10:57:08 pm »
Ultimately, though, the important lesson (and one I think a LOT of forum members here need to really take to heart) is that if a minority is telling us they feel oppressed, we need to listen, not dismiss it.

We may not agree on how to solve the problem, or whether we have to make a specific change. But it’s callous and arrogant to wholesale dismiss the grievances, as happens here on the forums every single time a progressive social issue is raised.
Pro tip: start with complaining that you feel oppressed by something other than the default name of git branches :P

The primary problem of American "progressive social issues" is that whatever reasonable problems might exist, you will never know because they are drowned in a flood of absolute clickbait idiocy.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, GeorgeOfTheJungle, bd139

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2020, 11:53:49 pm »
Close:  the last slave  (Sylvester Magee) died almost 50 years ago in 1971.  His age at death is controversial, since slaves didn't have proper documentation.
I find that really strange. Slaves were property, and could be traded. How can you trade something for a good price without proper documentation about its origins, ownership, and history?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2020, 11:56:51 pm »
The primary problem of American "progressive social issues" is that whatever reasonable problems might exist, you will never know because they are drowned in a flood of absolute clickbait idiocy.

Yes, let us remember that the real immediate issue here is a long, clearly documented, history of white American police officers murdering black people with impunity (even being actively protected by the system with a twisted legal interpretation of 'qualified immunity'), not whether the use of 'master' and 'slave' to accurately describe the relationship of a couple of bits of electronics is offensive. There's a bit of a 'plank' and 'splinter' thing going on here if people think that 'master/slave' flip flops is the issue. I know, but can't prove, that the little gits whining about nomenclature and the like are exactly not the kind of people who would actually stand between a black man and a cop's gun and say 'NO!'.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #280 on: June 15, 2020, 12:13:23 am »

Yes, let us remember that the real immediate issue here is a long, clearly documented, history of white American police officers murdering black people with impunity (even being actively protected by the system with a twisted legal interpretation of 'qualified immunity').
First of all, total number black people killed by police is smaller than white people killed. As of why number of black people killed per population of the race is higher, it's not surprising considering that 12% of people (black population of US) manage to commit a half of all crimes. BTW a black guy has many times higher chance to be killed by other black guy rather than a white guy or a cop. 94% of black people get killed by black people. Why there are no protests about that? https://www.hks.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/centers/wiener/programs/pcj/files/PoliceandPublicDiscourseBlackonBlackViolence.pdf

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:19:53 am by wraper »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #281 on: June 15, 2020, 12:26:56 am »
the earliest campaign to liberate slaves i know was first promoted 1500+ years ago by Mohammad, its funny when people didnt take the lesson (including his own kind) and in effect he's the one who got blamed for promoting it :palm:
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2020, 12:55:25 am »
I find that really strange. Slaves were property, and could be traded. How can you trade something for a good price without proper documentation about its origins, ownership, and history?
Back then,  a slave’s skin color sufficed to sell him.  Of course, the last slave to pass would have been a child in 1865.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2020, 01:46:38 am »

Yes, let us remember that the real immediate issue here is a long, clearly documented, history of white American police officers murdering black people with impunity (even being actively protected by the system with a twisted legal interpretation of 'qualified immunity').
First of all, total number black people killed by police is smaller than white people killed. As of why number of black people killed per population of the race is higher, it's not surprising considering that 12% of people (black population of US) manage to commit a half of all crimes. BTW a black guy has many times higher chance to be killed by other black guy rather than a white guy or a cop. 94% of black people get killed by black people. Why there are no protests about that? https://www.hks.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/centers/wiener/programs/pcj/files/PoliceandPublicDiscourseBlackonBlackViolence.pdf

(Attachment Link)

Nice strawman, where did you get him?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2020, 02:03:23 am »
I have no idea if those numbers are accurate and being associated with Trump doesn't exactly add credibility, however it would be more helpful to post some more accurate numbers instead of just saying those are wrong. Being an engineer I like numbers, data and facts. I'm not good at processing all of the emotional stuff that's flying around right now. That's not to say that ANY racially motivated police shootings are acceptable but there are certainly situations where deadly force is an appropriate response to a threat. Some people are quick to assume all of these are racially motivated which seems unlikely but I can only speculate.

There are tens of thousands of police officers in the US and they spend their shifts dealing with society's worst. While I recognize the need for accountability I'm also dismayed at the anti-police sentiment that has been spreading. There are examples of lawless society in various parts of the world where whoever happens to be strongest at the time is in charge and that is not a society I'd want to live in. I don't want us to throw the baby out with the bathwater and frankly I find it rather frightening that it is so politically dangerous these days to come off as the least bit supportive of law enforcement.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:37 am »
Nice strawman, where did you get him?
There is no strawman. Look into PDF I linked. 2 out of 3 pictures from google, they are only for presentation purposes. Again look into that PDF before claiming strawman. About particularly killings by police, you could simply google for numbers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6080222/
http://www.cjcj.org/news/8113
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:05:48 am by wraper »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2020, 03:09:03 am »
It's possible that people not from the USA can't relate to the situation the police face here. It is not unusual in the least for them to encounter armed suspects and police officers are killed in the line of duty on a regular basis, around 100 per year as I recall and that's just the number that die. The husband of my mother's best friend was a police officer, he was shot in the line of duty by an armed suspect and paralyzed from the waist down, spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I can only imagine what it's like to make that split second decision on whether to shoot a suspect or not. If they're holding or reach for something that looks like it could be a gun, there's a good chance you will end up dead if you hesitate to make sure.

I was taught from a young age to never, EVER touch a police officer or reach for anything. Just cooperate and in nearly all cases they will either send you free or take you to jail. The situations where this does not happen need to be dealt with, but the data I've seen suggests that is not often. This is why I'd like more accurate data if this is not the case.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: June 15, 2020, 06:42:29 am »
when suspect nailed down on the ground hand cuffed, there is no need 2 or 3 police "person" to kneel on "the person", esp on the neck (neck cant hurt anyone). teach them that (and it should in their physiology enrollment training in the first place). the rest of cases of shoot down armed suspects etc are understandable. normal people have senses too, this particular Floyd case seems nonsense thats why Americans SJW (not "not from the USA") raise. scumbag police officers exist in any countries including yours and mine, the difference maybe in the firearm enactment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:56:38 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #288 on: June 15, 2020, 07:01:47 am »
Whatever the cause, this huge disparity in crime committed by black people is unique to the USA.  While you see some difference in other countries, it is well within the range of explanation of black people preferring to live within cities which have higher crime rates or lower socioeconomic status.  The legacy of slavery is one explanation, as is systematic racism. Why are black people 8x more likely to be jailed for possession of drugs, even though they are equally likely as their white counterparts to possess?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #289 on: June 15, 2020, 07:16:40 am »
This thread is descending into politics.

Let's hold a sweepstake on when it will be locked.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: June 15, 2020, 07:38:22 am »
Yes, let us remember that the real immediate issue here is a long, clearly documented, history of white American police officers murdering black people with impunity
Not sure if a few unnecessary killings per year in pathological neighborhoods of a 300M-head country is the root cause of anything either. I think the real problem is that the SJWs are right and America is basically a social construct which doesn't actually exist. And that decolonization movement which brought us master/slave and oppressive mathematics is yet another attempt to save the world by newspeak and wishful thinking.

(Also, some of those recent famous cases were hardly even unjustified and when it comes to Floyd, the officers got fired next day so there goes your impunity. That's just life in pathology for you, I bet none of the well-off white educated liberals who complain would go police some shithole area themselves to show how its done right.)

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
« Reply #291 on: June 15, 2020, 08:24:25 am »
I'm just waiting for all the Dr.Who episodes that contain "The Master" to be removed from streaming services now. And Marvel to introduce a new super hero 'The Slave'.

And to take a leaf out of the Simpsons book, I'd vote for

Parasite & Worker.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2020, 08:34:17 am »
so throw your shit on while you still can...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2020, 08:39:25 am »

Not my style.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2020, 08:43:18 am »
actually when its in your "show new reply thread list" you already did... ;) derailed threads in general section is highly anticipated. locking it is a bless ;D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2020, 08:43:33 am »

Erm no, clearly this topic was going to go political and it could have been locked long ago. So long as it remains civil I don't mind but Dave obviously is the ultimate arbiter.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz, bd139

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2020, 08:45:45 am »
Whatever the cause, this huge disparity in crime committed by black people is unique to the USA.  While you see some difference in other countries, it is well within the range of explanation of black people preferring to live within cities which have higher crime rates or lower socioeconomic status.  The legacy of slavery is one explanation, as is systematic racism. Why are black people 8x more likely to be jailed for possession of drugs, even though they are equally likely as their white counterparts to possess?

These things always have multiple causes and influences and a lot is historic. This is why SJW jumping up and down about one silly thing in isolation is not helpful. People don't just move from one part of the country to another because they feel like a change.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2020, 10:29:00 am »
if a minority is telling us they feel oppressed, we need to listen, not dismiss it.
I'd go even further, and say that if anyone is telling us they are oppressed, we need to talk about it.

I don't agree that feeling oppressed is sufficient, because we cannot act on feelings alone; we must find the reasons for those feelings, and discuss what we – both at the individual level, and at the societal level – can and should do about it.  You know, like adults, for conflict resolution.

But it’s callous and arrogant to wholesale dismiss the grievances, as happens here on the forums every single time a progressive social issue is raised.
I disagree.  People like myself only dismiss the emotional argument and the demands for reparation, because we know from history that that does not fix anything; that we need to discuss the core reasons, honestly, to make a lasting change for the better.

For those who approach things socially/emotionally, that can feel like dismissing the issue, but it isn't.  People like me who approach things rationally/analytically find zero value in the emotional argument, and instead need to talk about the underlying core issues – because that is how we do everything: it is not a choice, it is how our brains work.

However, rather than talk about these issues, we are seeing terms being banned because of their alleged emotional subtext, mostly by people who do not themselves claim to have negative feelings, but claim that there are these 'other' people who do.  And I just cannot see anything rational in that: for one, those who are genuinely hurt should speak out aloud themselves, and the proxies shut up since it is not their place to claim what others are truly feeling; for two, banning words does nothing to fix or change the core reason; and most importantly, the entire premise just continues segregation between 'those allowed' and 'those not allowed'.

Finally: I, and many others, will never accept equity or equality of outcome, because we know from history that that is tyranny and will lead to death and misery.  We do strive for equality of opportunity, however.  People like me dismiss any amount of emotional argument for one or the other, because we simply do not perceive things in that manner; it is like you are arguing about colors to a blind person.  To come to a mutually beneficial agreement/outcome, we must talk at the level of possible action.  And at that level, people like I can show from history that banning terms, or restricting words for the use of a certain segment of the populace, only leads to added conflict and strife, and helps nobody.

I believe your (Tooki's) heart is in the right place.  I believe that there is a set of actions that lead to changes that would decrease the number of people who feel oppressed, but such actions are completely different than the ones argued from the social/emotional perspective.  I would love to see such things discussed (in USA, police reform is one; here in the rest of the Western countries, the police kill a hell of a lot less people each year!), but the emotive claims for immediate banning silence those.  Listening without talking does nothing.

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, tpowell1830

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2020, 10:47:31 am »
But it’s callous and arrogant to wholesale dismiss the grievances, as happens here on the forums every single time a progressive social issue is raised.

I find bringing up "progressive social issues"  in technical forums very oppressive.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2020, 10:51:58 am »
By the way, Nominal Animal, does "orjapiiskuri" literally mean "overseer" or "supervisor" in Finnish?
No, 'orjapiiskuri' = slave-whipper.
Overseer = 'valvoja': inspector, observer; also one who does not sleep.
Supervisor = 'ohjaaja': instructor, pilot/driver (for a vehicle), guide.
Leader = 'johtaja': leader, conductor, manager; the one in front.
Master's degree = 'maisteri', from "magister degree".
Master = 'mestari', as in best at something, or champion.
The closest word to master as in master/slave context, is probably 'isäntä', which is a derivative of 'isä', father, and means host/householder/landlord.  There is a female variant, 'emäntä', a derivative of 'emä', the root word for mother – although 'äiti' is nowadays used for humans, and 'emä' for animals – which means the same thing.  Both are a bit archaic, though, and mostly used when someone hosts an event or such.
When men were hired to work at a farm, they were called 'renki'; women hired for household tasks, 'piika'.

I do not think I've ever met a household servant myself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf