Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 146055 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1550 on: July 24, 2020, 12:52:45 am »
You can converse with like-minded peeps on here, without upsetting the apple cart.

https://dissenter.com/

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #1551 on: July 24, 2020, 01:00:33 am »
A natural result of what happens when people try to push stuff in our industry that affects us, every aspect of it gets discussed in a discussion forum.
We are engineers here. And engineers are blunt, don't like bullshit, and will call things out as they see it.
And anyone who thinks differently than you and your mates isn't an engineer, really. Lacks the capacity for logic. Got it.
You are a good example yourself.
Instead of softly answering and correcting, that some people might be different, etc, you accused "Dave and mates" for lack of logic.  :-DD
Because from your point of view it's bullshit and you are blunt. Like Dave said.
But do you know what else good engineers have? (in my opinion)
Self-criticism, ability to admit mistakes, analysis of other people's opinions (especially if they are overwhelming majority) and the desire to find a solution, a compromise.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1552 on: July 24, 2020, 01:08:57 am »
A natural result of what happens when people try to push stuff in our industry that affects us, every aspect of it gets discussed in a discussion forum.
We are engineers here. And engineers are blunt, don't like bullshit, and will call things out as they see it.
And anyone who thinks differently than you and your mates isn't an engineer, really. Lacks the capacity for logic. Got it.
You are a good example yourself.
Instead of softly answering and correcting, that some people might be different, etc, you accused "Dave and mates" for lack of logic.  :-DD
Because from your point of view it's bullshit and you are blunt. Like Dave said.
But do you know what else good engineers have? (in my opinion)
Self-criticism, ability to admit mistakes, analysis of other people's opinions (especially if they are overwhelming majority) and the desire to find a solution, a compromise.

That's way too radical, it will never catch on!   Instead, let's make a two-party political system where the two sides are not premitted to agree on anything other than motherhood and apple pie.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1553 on: July 24, 2020, 01:31:04 am »
You can converse with like-minded peeps on here, without upsetting the apple cart.

https://dissenter.com/

Couldn't believe that wouldn't degenerate into a free-for-all troll-fest, so figured I'd have a quick look. Gotta run their browser, so that's killed it dead straight off. There's a link right at the bottom of the page to a 'comment extension' which I thought might provide a normal browser with the ability, but it goes nowhere. Not even after allowing Twitter (eh? Is it forcing one to let twitter/facebook/et all track one's browsing?) and associated unblocking.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1554 on: July 24, 2020, 02:31:54 am »
Side-question: Having already participated in this discussion sufficiently, how would one mute this thread or otherwise prevent it from coming up in the "New replies to your posts" page?

Ignore Topics option in the unread or new posts list.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1555 on: July 24, 2020, 03:44:29 am »
Side-question: Having already participated in this discussion sufficiently, how would one mute this thread or otherwise prevent it from coming up in the "New replies to your posts" page?

(Attachment Link)

Had a quick look, though not extensive, I think that option might not be available to us mere mortals.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #1556 on: July 24, 2020, 03:50:02 am »
Agreed...I don't have it. Appears to be a >= moderator option.

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1557 on: July 24, 2020, 03:53:03 am »
It's a conspiracy.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1558 on: July 24, 2020, 03:53:59 am »
I have the Ignore Topics button and I'm not a moderator.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1559 on: July 24, 2020, 03:59:50 am »
Seems profile -> modify profile -> look and layout -> show quick moderation needs to be selected? At least that made it show up for me.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, 0culus

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1560 on: July 24, 2020, 04:10:17 am »
Seems profile -> modify profile -> look and layout -> show quick moderation needs to be selected? At least that made it show up for me.

Seemed to do the trick. I managed to nuke from my feed a couple of threads that are like a villain in a bad horror movie that just won't die.

iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1561 on: July 24, 2020, 04:13:38 am »
It's a feature that I've used often. Unfortunately I think there's a limit of something like 100 threads you can ignore, so at some point you hit the limit and zombie threads you ignored months ago start coming back up in the list.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1562 on: July 24, 2020, 04:15:05 am »
It's a feature that I've used often. Unfortunately I think there's a limit of something like 100 threads you can ignore, so at some point you hit the limit and zombie threads you ignored months ago start coming back up in the list.

Feed them brains.
iratus parum formica

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1563 on: July 24, 2020, 06:11:11 am »
(Attachment Link)
Had a quick look, though not extensive, I think that option might not be available to us mere mortals.

You have to go into the New Replies or Unread Topics list to see it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unread/
or
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unreadreplies/
I don't see it either on the top of this thread for example, I don't know why, it should be availabel on every thread so you can just nuke it.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1564 on: July 24, 2020, 06:54:29 am »
I'd love to start some sort of anti-woke/PC/censorship campaign, but my greatest fear would be it being hihacked by the far-right groups such as the English Defence League and KKK. There needs to be a strong, sensible, centrist group to deal with this idiots.
Nobody needs your help. Do you remember that rational, EU-sceptical movement which was hijacked by the brexiters and got out of hand? The moderate anti-globalists infiltrated by Russian spies promoting Donald Hitler? Me neither.

"Centrism" is an ideology of people who have it "good enough" and just want to be left alone and follow the path of least resistance. Strict avoidance of confrontation and "waiting it out". It's a very appealing ideology when you have it good enough and expect to have it good enough for any foreseeable future, even more so if you don't know or care about that many people who don't have it good enough. That's the reason it used to be highly popular in the post-war 20th century (the West really had it good enough) and also the reason why it's quickly losing popularity today (you screwed yourselves up).

It permits "moderate radicals" to gain a lot of ground completely unopposed ("oh come on, there is no way anything bad will come out of that if only they will stop at that, just let them have it, live and let live") while completely failing to promise anything by themselves besides "just don't do anything, things will work out, trust the plan", so it's kinda self-defeating in the long run. It's the politics of no politics, which in practice reduces to outsourcing politics to others whom you don't even know and then being surprised by the outcome. "OMG, TV told me we are all one human race, how come somebody has a different opinion than mine???".

Can I suggest that we all agree that it's the seemingly invisible, insidious movement that instigated the M/S discussion in the first place is the thing that should receive all our collective venom?
Of course it's the white people who just refuse to stop insulting people of color.

You see, the funniest thing about America is that they all believe exactly this. The only disagreement is on who exactly is the bad guys. That's why they are having riots and terrorism basically on a monthly schedule for the last few years.
 :popcorn:

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1565 on: July 24, 2020, 07:02:05 am »

"Centrism" is an ideology of people who have it "good enough" and just want to be left alone and follow the path of least resistance. Strict avoidance of confrontation and "waiting it out". It's a very appealing ideology when you have it good enough and expect to have it good enough for any foreseeable future, even more so if you don't know or care about that many people who don't have it good enough. That's the reason it used to be highly popular in the post-war 20th century (the West really had it good enough) and also the reason why it's quickly losing popularity today (you screwed yourselves up).

It permits "moderate radicals" to gain a lot of ground completely unopposed ("oh come on, there is no way anything bad will come out of that if only they will stop at that, just let them have it, live and let live") while completely failing to promise anything by themselves besides "just don't do anything, things will work out, trust the plan", so it's kinda self-defeating in the long run. It's the politics of no politics, which in practice reduces to outsourcing politics to others whom you don't even know and then being surprised by the outcome. "OMG, TV told me we are all one human race, how come somebody has a different opinion than mine???".

You are very wrong. You have obviously missed what most of this thread is about and are advocating extreme polarization. So I have to either be a narcissistic right wing fanatic or a lefty woke fanatic. I am sorry I don't like either and both are the problem. I won't read a "left leaning" newspaper any more than I would read right wing diatribe because they too don't care for the truth and reality and just push an agenda. Without a centre you get this stupid environment we are in where you are either for or against something and have to try and figure out what else you don't mind being vehemently for in order to "pick a side". This does not make for debate and the emergence of new better ideas, it just starts wars!

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1566 on: July 24, 2020, 07:03:44 am »
Being against censorship does not make you a "centrist".
That is just one of the typical slander of the extremist.

What is funny to me how sure of yourself you are when typing so much bollocks all the time.  :-//
As easy as paint by number.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1567 on: July 24, 2020, 07:13:37 am »

Can I suggest that we all agree that it's the seemingly invisible, insidious movement that instigated the M/S discussion in the first place is the thing that should receive all our collective venom?
Of course it's the white people who just refuse to stop insulting people of color.

You see, the funniest thing about America is that they all believe exactly this. The only disagreement is on who exactly is the bad guys. That's why they are having riots and terrorism basically on a monthly schedule for the last few years.
 :popcorn:

God bless you for having the courage to offer publicly an analysis of what is happening in the U.S. Further, it warms my cold, dead, black heart that you summarized the whole situation so concisely.

iratus parum formica

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1568 on: July 24, 2020, 07:32:52 am »
If you want to be sensible and good to others, that doesn't put you at any specific place on the axis defined by nutjob extremes. You don't need to be "at center".

You don't need to amplify the division by highlighting the existence of such made-up axis by placing yourself in the "middle". You are just participating in identity politics that way, and thus part of the problem.

By announcing yourself as "middle", what you really are doing is desperately trying to get acceptance from both the people more "left" and "right" to you. You are not getting such acceptance from either far end, though.

The solution is: you don't need to identify as a political group, at all, not even some imaginary "middle ground"! Just have a set of good principles you follow. If someone identifies you as a nazi racist because of that, it's their problem.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1569 on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:38 am »

What is funny to me how sure of yourself you are when typing so much bollocks all the time.  :-//

Who are you talking about? who is against censorship? I thought that was the point of this topic? So if i am against censorship of the words that the woke left want me to not use does that make me right wing? Or a living breathing human with a brain of my own?

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1570 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:47 am »
Apparently you can't use the word "Doughnut" (or Donut for the new world) as it offends fat police men.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1571 on: July 24, 2020, 08:14:43 am »
You are very wrong. You have obviously missed what most of this thread is about and are advocating extreme polarization. So I have to either be a narcissistic right wing fanatic or a lefty woke fanatic.
I think most of this thread is about "if we just stop being extremists and get out of each others way, we will all get along". I offer my suggestion that there are people who don't think like that and don't want any of that, that there may be more of them than you anticipate and that they aren't going to make your life easy.

Not really sure what you mean. I kinda mocked people who use the "centrist" label as having no spine or hard opinion on anything. I wouldn't say in the same sentence that fighting censorship makes you a centrist. That's libertarians' job.
This was response to a post about hypothetical "centrist resistance to the PC culture", which I consider a thing of impossibility. The "centrist" label is alternately used by: people who just want to be left alone and won't stand for anything, agitators of all creeds who want to convince the former that they are "just like you".

As much confidence as those who promised us the success of color revolutions or that Adolf Trump and Brexit will never happen. I could give more examples but not interested in starting more flamewar than necessary because somebody will inevitably argue that those things weren't "bollocks".

God bless you for having the courage to offer publicly an analysis of what is happening in the U.S. Further, it warms my cold, dead, black heart that you summarized the whole situation so concisely.
Their situation really boils down to having "deconstructed" all their intolerance and no longer having a common and universally accepted concept of what they tolerate and what they don't. Wishful thinking will do that to a society.

By announcing yourself as "middle", what you really are doing is desperately trying to get acceptance from both the people more "left" and "right" to you. You are not getting such acceptance from either far end, though.
I don't always agree with you but at least you seem to understand the concept of minding your own business instead of playing god, good for you.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1572 on: July 24, 2020, 08:23:54 am »
From what I am told you need a bit of left and right to be successful, which i agree with. No point in "hating capitalism" it's how innovation is spawned but uncontrolled capitalism also spells disaster. It's not a case of not having an opinion on either, it's recognizing that capitalism is OK with controls in place.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1573 on: July 24, 2020, 09:29:00 am »
Not really sure what you mean. I kinda mocked people who use the "centrist" label as having no spine or hard opinion on anything. I wouldn't say in the same sentence that fighting censorship makes you a centrist. That's libertarians' job.
This was response to a post about hypothetical "centrist resistance to the PC culture", which I consider a thing of impossibility. The "centrist" label is alternately used by: people who just want to be left alone and won't stand for anything, agitators of all creeds who want to convince the former that they are "just like you".

I am sure a shift of the Overton window is all what it needs to end PC Culture and just like you said what needs to happen is for the average "centrist" to start feeling uncomfortable.
Hey, even Chomsky came out of his retirement to say that this cancel culture thingy is quite wrong. Makes me wonder if the leftist university elites are starting to realize they pushed a little bit to hard.
Or maybe I am wrong we are all Doomed. lmao.

I do apologize for my snarky reply tho, I think my Judgement got clouded by previous posts of yours.  :-//

Who are you talking about? who is against censorship? I thought that was the point of this topic? So if i am against censorship of the words that the woke left want me to not use does that make me right wing? Or a living breathing human with a brain of my own?

I was talking to the self proclaimed Sociopath above your post.
Sorry, should have used quotes.
As easy as paint by number.

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1574 on: July 24, 2020, 10:43:48 am »
You have to go into the New Replies or Unread Topics list to see it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unread/
or
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unreadreplies/
I don't see it either on the top of this thread for example, I don't know why, it should be availabel on every thread so you can just nuke it.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have that button on any threads and have looked pretty hard for such a thing several times in the past. The only such button I have is the "Mark all messages as unread." The tips from other posters haven't worked either (I haven't enabled notifications on any of these threads, I'm not clicking any links in emails, I don't have moderation settings available on my profile, etc.) I'm using the full UI like in the screenshot and not the mobile version.

It would sure be a nice feature to have.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf