Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142629 times)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1300 on: July 16, 2020, 02:17:34 am »
'Fear of being called racist' stopped police from tackling Leicester's 'slave' sweatshops, Priti Patel believes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8513825/Fear-called-racist-stopped-police-tackling-sweatshops-Priti-Patel-believes.html

Where are all of those protesters when there really is slavery in the UK, going on today? :palm:

It's also blamed for the spike in COVID-19 cases in the city, which has had to go back under lockdown.
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/07/leicester-factory-change-modern-slavery-boohoo-quiz-opinion-comment/

No one who is pushing all these ridiculous terminology changes wants to actually solve real issues like that. It's all about virtue signaling and pretending to be good people.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1301 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:06 am »
snowflakes interfering? No. Colour blindness affects almost 10% of men
sorry but i disagree,we managed perfectly fine with the old colours for donkeys years ,and still manage ok with DC systems ,the reason was to harmonize us with europe,even though our wiring methods and accessory are different.All that was achieved was  a greater  risk of  phase and neutral being reversed,not so bad on single phase,but on 3 phase?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1302 on: July 16, 2020, 04:57:56 am »
No one who is pushing all these ridiculous terminology changes wants to actually solve real issues like that. It's all about virtue signaling and pretending to be good people.

The be fair, I know SJW's who support all this stuff that genuinely want to "be a good person" (I've had them use that exact phrase as reasoning to me).
The problem is that people and causes will take advantage of this, and these people fail to realise it's OK not to get behind every cause and say "Meh, is this a big deal? why bother?". To the point that failing jump on board with every one of these bandwagons is tantamount to NOT being a "good person". They are then tricked into an ever downward spiral of support for everything "social justice".

Plus the sweet juicy social currency in virtue signalling of course.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:06:04 am by EEVblog »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1303 on: July 16, 2020, 07:02:15 am »
The reason for the blue/brown is due to some common colour blindness seeing red and black as the same colour.
Another example of snowflakes interfering. A  colour blindness test used to be part of the interview prosess before being offered an apprenticeship  ,fail it  and  your out.But of course failures not allowed anymore.
10% of men are red-green colourblind.  It's not a small amount of people to reject. 

Now fair enough if it was hard to make the adaptation then it would be understandable, but changing wire colours in future installations is pretty easy.  Some headaches if a building has both, of course.

Edit: looks like others beat me to it...

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #1304 on: July 16, 2020, 07:14:21 am »

The be fair, I know SJW's who support all this stuff that genuinely want to "be a good person" (I've had them use that exact phrase as reasoning to me).
The problem is that people and causes will take advantage of this, and these people fail to realise it's OK not to get behind every cause and say "Meh, is this a big deal? why bother?". To the point that failing jump on board with every one of these bandwagons is tantamount to NOT being a "good person". They are then tricked into an ever downward spiral of support for everything "social justice".

I thought for a long time what all this reminds me. Them remembered a rare soviet joke about myopic scouts and an old woman.
They had acute desire to help someone, so they pick an idea - let's help elderly lady to cross the road.
Small detail: but the one who want to help have myopia -10 and barely can see his own nose.
Another detail: That lady didnt planned to cross the road, because she live on this side and almost reached home.
Is this a big deal?
Yes.
Because "do-gooders" pushed her to the road (they are too lazy to walk with her), and because they don't see beyond end of their nose, truck hit her.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:25:12 am by nuclearcat »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1305 on: July 16, 2020, 11:15:30 am »
If they were genuine they would scratch beneath the surface of what they are proposing, and take a good look as the horrors that lie beneath. Mostly they want to feel good, rather than be good.

The following users thanked this post: KaneTW

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1306 on: July 16, 2020, 11:27:42 am »
Mostly they want to feel good, rather than be good.

Isn't that why anyone does good? Even if you take some kind of hit to achieve good - maybe it costs you or your marriage fails or whatever - you still only do it because you feel good, probably because of all the problems it causes you.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1307 on: July 16, 2020, 11:44:04 am »

Isn't that why anyone does good? Even if you take some kind of hit to achieve good - maybe it costs you or your marriage fails or whatever - you still only do it because you feel good, probably because of all the problems it causes you.
Yes and no. There is feeling good by self delusion, and there is feeling good after a real search for what is good.

An example: Some years ago there was a scandal in Australia, where a group collecting outside churches to help the third world were actually using the money to finance horrifying things in the third world. When parishioners were confronted with this reality some were shocked, and deeply regretful for what they had done. Others took the attitude that just tossing money to the collectors is what made them a good person, and they would actually continue giving money to the same people. These reactions were so bizarre, someone made an entire documentary about this behaviour. The deeper they probed into these people's attitudes the more bizarre they looked.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1308 on: July 16, 2020, 12:33:09 pm »
(JK = Joke Alert  :-DD )

This situation, was predicted many decades ago, in some old, very dusty RTL/DTL/ECL/TTL databooks I have.
Under the Master/Slave JK flip-flop section. It mentions to be very careful with their design, because there could be future problems with a logic RACE condition/hazard!
tl;dr
SJW's are causing a Metastability, with our naming schemes.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, retrolefty, bd139

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1309 on: July 16, 2020, 03:26:55 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_road_to_hell_is_paved_with_good_intentions

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1310 on: July 17, 2020, 12:57:12 am »
Isn't that why anyone does good?
Surprisingly, no.  Only a being following purely their emotions falls into that category.

Even a perfectly rational but unfeeling and immoral sapient will do good, because it is in their "enlightened self-interest".  (Although it is called "enlightened", you can just replace it with "long-term", really.)  Look into game theory for scientific research describing this.

Many animals, humans included, have a strong sense of fairness.  In hominids and apes, it is especially strong (I've already shared the video about the macaque getting angry for their friend getting grapes and themselves getting cucumbers, although completely alone, cucumbers are an enjoyed snack).  Humans helping other humans is a natural instinct.  (And other animals, too.  And other animals have this instinct too, apparently because it helps the species survive.) This is the "instinct" part, and is surprisingly opposite to "emotions", in a society where every action is judged by an insane ideological criteria.

People who are emotive, "emotionally-driven", are easily swayed by the emotion-based SJW ideology, even when it is in direct conflict with their instinct.  (This causes a sort of a cognitive dissonance, which acts as a barrier against even considering the non-emotive arguments.)  In very real terms, it is a human sentience worm.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:56:44 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1312 on: July 17, 2020, 07:11:42 am »
More history erased.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53436447

Did I miss it, or did they not actually report what the name was?

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1313 on: July 17, 2020, 07:23:42 am »
More history erased.

They didn't.  But a google search reveals it was the N word.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1314 on: July 17, 2020, 07:33:23 am »
Hey guys, you do realize that in spanish a negro is a negro and it isn't a racist word, right?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: July 17, 2020, 08:03:13 am »
Hey guys, you do realize that in spanish a negro is a negro and it isn't a racist word, right?

The other N word.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1316 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11:16 am »
You guys are screwed, when a negro can say nigger but a white can't. That's the first thing you ought to fix asap.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1317 on: July 17, 2020, 08:16:50 am »

Oh, how pompous! Mr. Nobel prize for no reason.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1318 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:04 am »
And then of course 'posh kid on the block' Apple is jumping on the bandwagon...
https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/17/apple_inclusive_style_guide/

Offline nuclearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #1319 on: July 17, 2020, 12:32:08 pm »
Almost exactly same in russian. Legally not considered offensive, but when we are speaking with foreigner by default we avoid using it even russian.
But highly depends on situation. If person is visiting our country, but same time pushing his cultural values and dont respect ours, we give zero respect to his comfort as well, including - using any words we want.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1320 on: July 17, 2020, 07:15:44 pm »
(Serious) question for a friend.

Am I allowed to use the term "pwned" online?

I figure it's really, obviously a typo of "owned", referring to the sarcastic ridicule of failure onto one's foe in gaming.  "I own your ass!", "owned", aka "pwned" a statistically common typo.

But... could anyone find a way for the USA SJWs to get a crowbar of idiocy in there and crack it open to refer to slavery and thus.. by broken logic consider it racist?

EDIT: 43756e7420776166666c6573
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:20:32 pm by paulca »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1321 on: July 17, 2020, 08:31:55 pm »
(Serious) question for a friend.

Am I allowed to use the term "pwned" online?

I figure it's really, obviously a typo of "owned", referring to the sarcastic ridicule of failure onto one's foe in gaming.  "I own your ass!", "owned", aka "pwned" a statistically common typo.

It's been around long before online gaming was a thing. Originally the term was used in the context of cracking a system and taking over, it has been part of the hacker community since long before the modern internet.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1322 on: July 17, 2020, 08:47:55 pm »
EDIT: 43756e7420776166666c6573

atob('Q3VudCB3YWZmbGVz')
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:00:59 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1323 on: July 17, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »
More history erased.

Nobody would have know this fact but for it making the news. This is the first I hear of it. It's a sad day when you can't use the word nigger in a matter of fact non offensive way.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #1324 on: July 17, 2020, 09:09:43 pm »

Oh, how pompous! Mr. Nobel prize for no reason.

What he says is very accurate, an just like we think not saying nigger anymore means we are not racist anymore is wrong, so is tearing down statues and changing words not going to make a blind bit of difference unless we actually want to get rid of racism.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, GeorgeOfTheJungle

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf