Author Topic: Lucky birthday boy  (Read 948 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Lucky birthday boy
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:07:10 pm »
The boss has said that I can choose my pressie for my upcoming birthday; I reckon £200, tops. This amount is a one-off for this year (she got a bonus!): I am a lucky boy!

I already have: scope, bench PSU, sig gen, lots of books, all the basic stuff. I’m into microcontrollers (PIC) and sensing.

My question is: what should I ask for?

If I don’t come up with something, I’ll end up with some expensive item of clothing no doubt!  :'(
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Lucky birthday boy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:38:33 pm »
- nanoVNA and some RF cables/connectors, or
- Raspberry Pi kit with display and camera, or
- LiDAR mapping sensor, or
- 3D printer kit, or
- optical stereo inspection microscope, or

What would you want?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 03:29:45 pm »
The boss has said that I can choose my pressie for my upcoming birthday; I reckon £200, tops. This amount is a one-off for this year (she got a bonus!): I am a lucky boy!

I already have: scope, bench PSU, sig gen, lots of books, all the basic stuff. I’m into microcontrollers (PIC) and sensing.

My question is: what should I ask for?

If I don’t come up with something, I’ll end up with some expensive item of clothing no doubt!  :'(
I'm not seeing a DMM in that list. If already present, you need at least one more.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 03:49:41 pm »
Great ideas RoGeorge though I don't now what a nanoVNA is really. Can you get a good 3D printer for £200?

Sorry both forgot to say I also have RPi stuff and a Fluke 87V. Also, Hakko FX-888D and PICkit3.

What about an EEPROM programmer? Are they, pretty much, all able to programme all, pretty much, chips?
RJD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 03:54:53 pm »
Great ideas RoGeorge though I don't now what a nanoVNA is really. Can you get a good 3D printer for £200?

Sorry both forgot to say I also have RPi stuff and a Fluke 87V. Also, Hakko FX-888D and PICkit3.

What about an EEPROM programmer? Are they, pretty much, all able to programme all, pretty much, chips?
You need another DMM.  :P

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 04:03:26 pm »
How about a FPGA board? I'm not sure which one to suggest on that budget nowadays but definitely make sure it's supported by free tools. Beware that FPGA programming is so complex that it can be a career in itself.

I was going to suggest a logic analyzer but a cheap Beaglebone will handle most microcontroller I/Os easily. Just needs a level shifter to work on logic levels other than 3.3V.

A thermal camera also would be good if you don't already have one.

NanoVNA is a budget vector network analyzer, mostly interesting for RF work.

You can take a look at the Ender 3, the first super cheap 3D printer with decent quality.

SPI and I2C EEPROMs are trivial to program using a microcontroller. Indeed, it's not hard to find really cheap EEPROM reader/writers that are little more than a USB microcontroller on a board.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 04:13:24 pm »

Unless you need to program industrial quantities of hundreds of EEPROMs daily, a dedicated programmer looks like a waste to me.

You seem interested in a 3D printer.
That will be a nice addition to your lab, go for it!   :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 05:00:40 pm »
An Ender 3 Pro or V2 would be an excellent choice if you want a 3D printer. Don't skimp to save 10 or 20 bucks as most $150 printers will be a pain in comparison.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 02:18:09 pm »
Brilliant, thanks everyone. Some great ideas there, some I'd never have thought of.
RJD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 11:03:45 am »
You can find a lot of that here.

Sometimes it's stuff that you wish you hadn't .....  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf