Author Topic: Why is setting up "HI-TECH" C compiler in MPLAB such a headache?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline iamwhoiamTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Why is setting up "HI-TECH" C compiler in MPLAB such a headache?

I have a licence, have activated the HI-TECH compiler, but what a faff about trying to point MPLAB to it. All I see is red crosses all the way, and some nonsense about drivers not being available for a PIC.

Electronics is simple, as it's based on physics - natural laws - they don't change at all, and a circuit is pretty predictable. Suddenly when you involve code and programming, along with geeks, it all becomes a horrendously buggy mess... a total ball ache! Please, would someone explain how to setup MPLAB and HI-TECH compiler on Win7 x64, so I can actually build *physical* circuits and not piss about in the land of virtual objects, code, bugs and all that fluff.

Thanks guys - just annoyed how much of a faff this all is.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:05:40 pm by iamwhoiam »

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:30:58 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline icon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Why is setting up "HI-TECH" C compiler in MPLAB such a headache?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:08 pm »
Hmm. I Just started using Hitech C a couple of days ago. MPLAB 8.84, Win7 x64. I used ASM for a while, and then decided to try C. I couldn't figure out how get it to work with C, so I watched a laborious Microchip video which boiled down to - Project>Project Wizard. At Step 2, drop down the 'Active Toolsuite' box and pick 'HiTech Universal Toolsuite'. So I did, and there it was.

I seem to recall the video saying that this Universal Toolsuite contained the components necessary to integrate with MPLAB - it could be installed and upgraded independently of the compiler. Maybe your installation doesn't have those bits, for some reason?

Anyway, the behaviour your seeing is not normal, though that's no great consolation.

Regards
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf