Author Topic: LED inside of FM-2027  (Read 1260 times)

Offline CepegaTopic starter

LED inside of FM-2027
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:15:21 am »

Hello,

Has anyone thought of or actually successfully swapped the red LED inside of the FM-2027 handle to something of either green or blue LED and if anyone felt like using same suggested colors, but obnoxiously much brighter than of that a stock one.  >:D >:D >:D
This probably would apply to those who live in States, as it seems to be the largest market for 2027 handles opposed to the rest of the continents using 2028 handles.
I have to admit that I kind of like yellow ring on the handle.

Thanks

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: LED inside of FM-2027
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:28:07 pm »
No, but I don't see why it shouldn't be too hard to replace the LED. I'm not keen on blue, unless it serves a specific purpose. If you go for green, choose a high efficiency type. You still might need to increase the current, by reducing the series resistor value. If it already uses a high efficiency LED, changing it to green, will make it brighter, but it might still not be good enough, if the current is too low.

The following users thanked this post: Cepega

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:11:36 pm »

Does anyone happen to know what kind of LED is in there?
Ive seen pictures of the handle being taken apart and did have a few handles apart myself, however I do not recall looking at the LED, mostly at the contact clips for the tip. For some reason I want to say that there is a regular 3 or 5 mm LED in there, but not sure
Will have to take it apart to investigate more into it when I am near one.
IF anyone has done so, can you please post photos? That would be greatly appreciated and save me a bit of time.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hpvvI

Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 11:43:13 am »
It is indeed a 3mm clear lens LED 1.599V and 1.417MOhm. Anode is is connected to blue wire and cathode is attached to black wire. Interesting thing is that from what I've seen so far is that cathode terminal is always larger and is an anvil  that holds the LED chip/reflective cavity, while anode is a post  to which wire bond is attached to. The LED installed into the soldering iron handle FM-2027 seems to have its internal structure completely opposite. I decided that will not desolder LED on my existing handle, instead I want to get another handle new or used one for the swap of LED. The used handles for sale on eBay costs almost the same or more than a new one form Hakko's website, what's up with that??
Anyone care to make a charitable donation for a good cause ?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:04:19 pm »
It is indeed a 3mm clear lens LED 1.599V and 1.417MOhm. Anode is is connected to blue wire and cathode is attached to black wire. Interesting thing is that from what I've seen so far is that cathode terminal is always larger and is an anvil  that holds the LED chip/reflective cavity, while anode is a post  to which wire bond is attached to. The LED installed into the soldering iron handle FM-2027 seems to have its internal structure completely opposite. I decided that will not desolder LED on my existing handle, instead I want to get another handle new or used one for the swap of LED. The used handles for sale on eBay costs almost the same or more than a new one form Hakko's website, what's up with that??
Anyone care to make a charitable donation for a good cause ?
Is that supposed to be the resistance of the current limiting resistor? If so, I’d recheck its value, because even at 1mA current, it’d have to be dropping 1417V (and 28KV if it were the usual 20mA).

If that’s the resistance of the LED... well, they’re nonlinear devices, you don’t measure or specify their resistance because it’s kinda pointless.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 11:34:46 am »
Is that supposed to be the resistance of the current limiting resistor? If so, I’d recheck its value, because even at 1mA current, it’d have to be dropping 1417V (and 28KV if it were the usual 20mA).
Of course something is wrong with that number.

Though high efficiency green LEDs are crazy bright.
This is a picture I took with 4.5V (flabby USB hub), 1 MΩ and a no name LED from a discount bag.
Daylight, no retouching.
1192824-0
PS: yes, it's due time I clean my keyboard.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:37:59 am by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf