Author Topic: Ladyada interview with Paul Horowitz - The Art of Electronics  (Read 55628 times)

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Re: Ladyada interview with Paul Horowitz - The Art of Electronics
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2015, 09:59:21 pm »
More fodder for the Limor lovers and haters. Here's over an hour of discussion with the CEO of Sparkfun and the director of OSHA.

Oh, a maker orgy! Do they do an Arduino bukkake in the final act? :D

I'm a total n00b, but I had to "make" the joke ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:03:34 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2015, 10:52:20 pm »
More fodder for the Limor lovers and haters.

Don't confuse criticism with hate.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2015, 11:18:12 pm »
More fodder for the Limor lovers and haters. Here's over an hour of discussion with the CEO of Sparkfun and the director of OSHA.

Not an engineer in sight...

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2015, 11:25:38 pm »

Not an engineer in sight...

Hmm, what's your definition of engineer?  I believe both Limor and Nathan Seidle have EE degrees and run companies which develop and manufacture electronics.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2015, 03:57:30 am »
Got a couple of pages in, skipped to the last page to see if people were still bitching about the interviewer, and we're talking about religion... wish I could say this was surprising.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2015, 05:42:02 am »
Got a couple of pages in, skipped to the last page to see if people were still bitching about the interviewer, and we're talking about religion... wish I could say this was surprising.

AGW is still in the pipeline but it's coming in next page.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2015, 12:43:05 pm »

Why not now?

Did Dave travel the Agnew Airport? It's in Agnew, Queensland, Australia.

Dave, please reply. I consider it the most important question of this forum thread.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

Why not now?

This is the next page.

Did Dave travel the Agnew Airport? It's in Agnew, Queensland, Australia.

Dave, please reply. I consider it the most important question of this forum thread.

Zapta wasn't referring to Agnew Airport, you silly person.

This is an electronics forum, so it was clearly in relation to AGW Electronics Ltd, makers of fine wound components and electronics assemblies.

;)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2015, 02:53:00 pm »
This is an electronics forum, so it was clearly in relation to AGW Electronics Ltd, makers of fine wound components and electronics assemblies.

I doubt that those AGW toroids are man made. Probably by machines.

;-)

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2015, 03:28:45 pm »
More fodder for the Limor lovers and haters.

Don't confuse criticism with hate.

Is it OK to criticize hate or to hate confusion?

Did anyone else get an impression or a memory of Bob Pease when Mr. Horowitz spoke?   Both are known for their enthusiasm with educating people, although Mr. Horowitz made that his profession and Mr. Pease did so as a result of his work with National.    There's something about their manner of speaking, or maybe their ability to explain or something.   

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2015, 03:37:06 pm »
Did anyone else get an impression or a memory of Bob Pease when Mr. Horowitz spoke?   Both are known for their enthusiasm with educating people, although Mr. Horowitz made that his profession and Mr. Pease did so as a result of his work with National.    There's something about their manner of speaking, or maybe their ability to explain or something.

Yes.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2015, 06:45:20 pm »
Don't miss the many episodes on YouTube of the Bob Pease Show.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2015, 09:07:50 pm »

Thanks for posting...

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2015, 09:20:17 am »

Offline Grapsus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2015, 08:10:37 pm »
Damn, did he actually offer the AoE watch to the person who spent an entire hour interrupting him and whereas having an EE degree seriously thought that satellite links were operating in the gigawatt power range ? Paul Horowitz is like Jesus.

More seriously, it was a very interesting video, he has an incredible kindness and passion in his explanations that one can feel while reading TAoE.

What a shame for his databook collection. It probably contained a lot of datasheets that aren't available on the web. It would have been valuable to cut and digitize them all before throwing away.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2015, 09:08:43 pm »
Damn, did he actually offer the AoE watch to the person who spent an entire hour interrupting him and whereas having an EE degree seriously thought that satellite links were operating in the gigawatt power range ? Paul Horowitz is like Jesus.

More seriously, it was a very interesting video, he has an incredible kindness and passion in his explanations that one can feel while reading TAoE.

What a shame for his databook collection. It probably contained a lot of datasheets that aren't available on the web. It would have been valuable to cut and digitize them all before throwing away.

Well, I consider it an act of solidarity to educate people :D

Thanks for posting...
Can I get all these episodes and his other videos? He's like a funny mad scientist :D

Element14 did an interview to both AoE authors!
http://www.element14.com/community/groups/stemacademy/blog/2015/06/05/a-conversation-with-the-authors-of-the-art-of-electronics?ICID=hp-roadtest-ban

Maybe sleep deprivation is driving be retarded. Did he mean x-chapters are going to be about basic stuff or about more advanced stuff (I did think the last one, but maybe my English reading comprehension is deteriorated right now)? Why not put them into Learning The Art of Electronics? This last book could be my favourite textbook for my vocational school if it covers everything from pcb etching, soldering techniques and all maths amazingly and funnily explained that are needed for a mathematically illiterate person like me to be useful in electronics :)

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2022, 04:53:20 pm »
Bumping this thread...
An interview that should interest many today!
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2022, 10:59:32 pm »
One nice thing about this video is that it comes with seven pages of discussion already prepared. Saves us a lot of work.
90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2022, 11:02:31 am »
Bumping this thread...
An interview that should interest many today!

Why is this being bumped today?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2022, 01:51:30 pm »
Had the pleasure of presenting a unique project idea to Dr Paul Horowitz and committee at the JASON Advisory Group as an invited guest, Paul was the chair of the committee at the time. The JASON committee evaluates projects based upon many factors (most can't be discussed openly) including technical viability. Paul is an ICON of the electronics world, and a pleasure to meet him, and have the opportunity to present.

Fun to watch the interview and how Paul's book came about!!

Edit: Should mention didn't see this entire interview until now, and agree that the constant interruption is somewhat annoying. With someone like Dr Horowitz, viewers want to listen to his uninterrupted comments and responses, he has such a vast wealth of experience and knowledge.

BTW the project was approved and funded for development.

Best,
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:00:36 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2022, 10:46:51 pm »
Areed, I wish Professor Horowitz had been able to share the examples he seemed to want to go into..

I realize that Limor mostly does stuff with digital electronics and so I understand itr but Professor Horowitz's going into the theory of diplexers, and so on. That  was somethiing that I would have liked to hear.. Stuff like that is what makes RF fun and "cool" to my understanding..

I really enjoyed the Ask an enginer discussion about open source hardware.. a subject that I think nurturing it is the key to our countries future economic success, as the days when peopole could take a small micro, emulate something complicated, espensive analog or electoromachanical with it and charge thousands of dollars for it are ending fast. I people think that IP law can be used to lock in insane high profits and business models that are parasitical, forever, getting higher and higher all the time, even in a pandemic, they are smoking something..  Due to the Uruguay Round negotiations and the TRIPS and TRIMS agreements, the concept of "intellectual property" has been promagulated as natural. But its totally a creature of lobbyists and lobbying. We did finbe before 1995. And medicines and patents were respected. What changed in 1995 wasnt good. was embedded in stone and the cost to many countries of that is much higher than the gains. Billions of dollars more in the case of Australia, according to Peter Drahos, who has written a lot about ahat he calls "infromation feudalism"

IP rights and markets are traded for IP recognition. IP is a totally artificial creation.. and it didnt even exist in its current form until January 1, 1995. Notice thats when the price of drugs, here in the US, the prices for even old off patent drugs (which started to vanish from drugstores in favor of newer on patent drugs many of which were less safe and effective than the old drugs they replaced)  the prices of the drugs people needed started to soar? This drove a huge explosion in medical costs leading ti a great many people not being able to afford health insurance and falling deeply into medical debt. Which closed the doors of the healthcare system to them. For many years the poorest countries, even, were being asked to pay huge prices for drugs such as the lifesaving HIV drgs that it turned out only cost pennies to manufacture..; (an award winning 2013  film, Fire in the Blood, tells the incredible story)

Also the developed countries traded away jobs (which is only just beginning) to the developing countries in exchange for their recognition of the new IP insanity..They were promised they would make that money that they lose by recognizing IP back by providing services globally.

THis is not an efficient solution because it depends on sending workers to the other side of the world, in essence making people to trad places in order to lower their wages, But a new model exists now one that may be better.. The open source development model..

Lets not forget that innovation due to open source tools is potentially a very big aid to a modern economy.

Its possible now for a shmuck like me to become an electronics designer and manufacturer.. and a successful one..

Thats just amazing.. Almost all of the big gains in business of the last two or three decades WAS IN BUSINESS ENABLED BY THE AVAILABILITY OF OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE TOOLS..

Google, Apple, Facebook and amazon, all wouldnt exist if it was not for FOSS.. to name a few. Hardware can do similar things. All the basic tools of electronics shoulod be enabled by open source hardware and software tools and that investment will pay off big in creativity.

Hardware  that seems to embed the open ethic of maximum flexibility that donesn't try to lock people into a walled ecosystem or similar is where its at now.

Contrast that to the practice of AT&T in the past of charging everybody in the country $24 a month to rent their telephone and not allowing anybody or anything else to connect to "their" network, That was what guys my age grew up with. Nooooo..

There are people who want to push us back to that.  Look at the agricultural equipment company that wants to make their tractrs a money machine for them whenever they need repair. Bet you everybody who buys one of them lives to regret that decision.

We need a world of open agricultural equipment, that supports an active user community and facilitates low cost automation. people all around the world can use it to teach themselves a whole bunch of new skills. And save their family farms. The history of say, the British Empire in India is one where debt and food price manipulation led to a great many deaths and bankruptcies of families, almost by design. The way to prevent that is innovation that rewards people's efforts without requiring huge investments in hard currency farmers don't have.

TPTB need to understand that there is another way and its one with a spectacular track record of solving technical problems fast and well.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:37:19 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2022, 01:13:06 am »
That's an interesting video on IP rights.

Believe the IP creator is entitled to a "reasonable" benefit from such, and should make the IP available to all for a "reasonable" fee, since they have to make the "investment" in effort, time and $ to create the IP. Agree, the "rewards" the pharmaceutical companies are getting for IP rights are generally outrageous, and hoarding such in sight of human suffering and death is criminal.

The old Ma Bell may be an example of "gouging" customers with phone leases and such, but are a good example of making valuable IP (maybe the most valuable IP of all time) available to everyone. The transistor invented at Bell Labs was to be classified as a military asset. This was presented to US Congress, that the transistor should not become a sole military asset and should be made public, fortunately Congress sided with the inventors. Bell Labs made the transistor IP available to almost anyone for just a $25K unlimited license fee, and even provided assistance in fabricating early point contact transistors, of course the rest is history.

Makes one wonder where we would be today if Congress had voted the other way and/or Bell Labs had wanted enormous licenses fees, thus limiting to a select few.

Anyway, glad the transistor followed the path it has, but highly disappointed that later Bell Labs was essentially dissolved...but that's another story!!

Best,

Best, 
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf