Author Topic: Keeping track of things in the lab  (Read 33488 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Keeping track of things in the lab
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 11:35:36 am »
If you're a one man band, keep track of parts on a spread sheet or data base is a fool's errand. You'll drive yourself nuts when you have to pull up a application, and log out a single mosfet - cause you think you're going to actualy keep track of it.  Nope.

There is only one way, the Jim Williams method:

Yea, I really would love it if people would stop posting things about Jim W's desk.  You're not Jim W.  Just cause your desk is messy doesn't make you like him.  It just means you're mess like the rest of (most) of us. Let it go. (not pointed at Dave, just in general)

Here's how I store my parts.  I used what was available to me, and in that case was "Walmart" craft project boxes and wood left over from a fence I built.  I cut the 5" pickets into slats and then did a little dado joint.  I don't have a "how to on it" as it was all built on the fly.  All you need is a table saw, wood, and some wood glue - that's it.

I designed them to be the same size of a Craftsman tool box - to fit atop, and glad I did - as you can store tools in a 4 drwar took box, and parts on top.  Makes for a very compact tool/storage set up.  Since then I've bought a house where I have two extra rooms for a "lab" and another for 3D stuff/storage.  So it's not so much needed - but still saves space. I've also labels each box since that pic.  A thermal label-er is a must!

Also Akro Bins.  Get a few dozen that are about a 12x12 that stack, and a few 3x6's to load up on a shelf, and a butt load of little 3x4 that stack. For more random items - zip lock bags and milk crates.

I don't have pics of my new lab - but it makes storage a pleasure.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:56:40 am by george graves »

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 01:38:19 pm »
That's pretty nice. I've got about three of those boxes that I use regularly (1x R's, 1x C's and L's and 1x Semis) and a scrap box. The rest lives in numerous RS boxes dotted around the house.

I've got a *very* minimal count of parts. It's just not worth keeping it. I had about 200kg of boxes of shit lying around a few years ago and it was hell. You know 5000 count boxes of resistors I never use.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:40:32 pm by MrSlack »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »
That picture of Jim at his desk has a use. The next time SWMBO walks into the workshop and hints that the place is a mess you just show her that photo, then the Bob Pease video. It helps to put things into proportion.

And yeah, I'm no Jim Williams or Bob Pease.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 06:17:19 pm »
That picture of Jim at his desk has a use. The next time SWMBO walks into the workshop and hints that the place is a mess you just show her that photo, then the Bob Pease video. It helps to put things into proportion.

This has worked for me in the past! Then again she's into crafts which makes just as much of a mess...

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 06:34:31 pm »
All you need is a table saw, wood, and some wood glue - that's it.
   :-DD

I am going to print out some of the pics on this subject and hang them on my wall to help stop the guys in white coats if they show up at my door.

I also agree with zip locks and a label maker
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 07:14:59 pm »
If you're a one man band, keep track of parts on a spread sheet or data base is a fool's errand. You'll drive yourself nuts when you have to pull up a application, and log out a single mosfet - cause you think you're going to actualy keep track of it.  Nope.

Actually keeping a spreadsheet with the inventory has some use even for "one man bands". I keep one, but not to check out a single mosfet, lol.

It is mostly for the more exotic stuff I don't stock often, because I need something for a project, order it, then forget about it because I am doing something else and then order the same part again because I have forgotten that I have ordered it already in the meantime!

Like this I check my spreadsheet and if I see that the part I need is there then I first check my parts bins (and hopefully find it!) before ordering new stuff.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:47:44 pm by janoc »

Offline bapou

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 07:23:57 pm »
 https://partkeepr.org/
(I'm not affiliated but a happy user!)

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »
It works for me.  I think the trick is not being so anal as to decrease quantities every time you use a part but just update or create the line when you receive parts.  Order when you use a bunch and the number drops to what you are uncomfortable with.  So for most consuming, I don't have to consult the spreadsheet at all.  Only when I want to find an optoisolator (or insert a part you rarely use)  that I haven't used in a while and don't quite remember where I put it.  When I get a part for the first time I put the Mouser or Digikey description of it in my spreadsheet.  That way I can search for part type rather than by specific part number
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
You shouldn't keep track of every single component. Just round to 10 or 100 pieces of commonly used components. Commonly used components can be stored in convenient containers so it is easy & quick to assemble prototypes but you need to keep track of how many you have -roughly-. Also having a database integrated with your CAD system allows to create a bill of materials including the quantities in stock so it is easy to determine which components need to be ordered. All in all a database can be a huge time & money saver when used right -even for a one man band-.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 10:49:30 pm »
I use these numbered tupperware type containers, and keep an inventory of the contents in a document on Google docs.
Most of these containers are about 4 x 4 x 6 inches and I also have a smaller number in triple and quadruple this size for larger components or projects in progress.
They have a snap on lid and strong enough to stack as high as I'd ever need to. They're available in 'Home Store & More' branches in Ireland.
I have other stackable cases with compartments for jellybean parts, also numbered and catalogued. My system is more than capable of handling couch feet in both plastic and wood should the need arise!
Google docs is handy cos I can access them from any of my machines and they're searchable.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 12:18:05 am »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 02:43:03 am »
You shouldn't keep track of every single component. Just round to 10 or 100 pieces of commonly used components. Commonly used components can be stored in convenient containers so it is easy & quick to assemble prototypes but you need to keep track of how many you have -roughly-. Also having a database integrated with your CAD system allows to create a bill of materials including the quantities in stock so it is easy to determine which components need to be ordered. All in all a database can be a huge time & money saver when used right -even for a one man band-.

Well, I am so anal as to do that.  At least then I can recall the voltage rating or whatever for the part.  Not too hard to have a line that says capacitor .1uF 10% 16V through-hole X7R ~1000 in the spreadsheet.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 03:17:11 am »
I tend to go for the Adam Savage method of moving trolleys full of parts or tools.

Trolley is actually just a 4 quadrant storage unit from Bunnings with some wheels bolted on the bottom.
It just so happens to perfectly fit 5 of the large Jaycar storage boxes in each opening. :)
Will add some side handles and labels on each box when i have time.

When i move house in the next year i will make a better work room with hard floors. The wheels dont work so well on carpet.
I really want to have a trolley for tools, a trolley for parts and a troll for test gear. It's annoying to keep moving scope/psu around if i need them near the work bench or near the PC. Will probably have the test gear trolley butt up against the workbench, so it can stay there most of the time.

eg

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:25:48 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 12:25:53 pm »
You shouldn't keep track of every single component. Just round to 10 or 100 pieces of commonly used components.

I kinda do that for some parts - but things like LED drivers and special opamps can get expensive.

One trick I do when/if I do a physical inventor is I have a bag of shirt buttons.  And any part I'm low on, I drop a red shirt button into, and anyone that is ok, a yellow on.  One that is over stocked a green one.  Then in a few hours, you can go back and re-order all the red or yellow buttons.  And when they come in, you remove the botton.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 09:13:08 am »
https://partkeepr.org/
(I'm not affiliated but a happy user!)

Spent a day trying to get this going on turnkey linux. Steep learning curve for a Windows user but I persevered. Had to give up when libmagickwand5 turned out to be unfindable by apt-get even after some serious Googling.

Seems to need Ubuntu specifically, which is like a Windows app only working on Vista or something. And Windows apps generally come with all the weird stuff they need to run. Have to say the process of failing to get this going isn't a good advertisement for Linux on the desktop.

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:35 am »
More places than things and a felt marker.

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:34 am »
This guy must also be pretty great at keeping track of things:

Don't know the story behind it though.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 10:09:49 am »
Also when parts arrive, transfer into the smallest bag it will fit into to avoid boxes getting full of empty bag volume.  Buy a range of very small grip-seal bags and some super-fine point permanent markers
I take it to the next level, using a homemade li ion battery powered heatsealer with a 6" capacity. It's basically just a rectangle of 3/4" wood, approximately 4"x6", with a nichrome wire strung around one edge. The middle is cut out to hold the batteries, and a pcb with the timer circuitry and FET is slapped over that. I seal bags directly over my wood bench.

I have a box of 6x8" poly bags on hand. But for most of my components, the faraday cage foil bags that Mouser/Digikey ships IC's in is ideal. When you seal this kind of bag, it is fused solid. And they look the same years later. The clear bags get cloudy over time. It makes everything look like more junk, and you can hardly see what's in them, anyway.

For containers, I have a shelf of steel boxes with hinged lids, which are maybe about 7-8" deep and about 3 1/2" wide (about the width of the aforementioned metalized bags, conveniently enough). You can overstuff them and still squeeze them back on the shelf. Most what I store in these are SMD things, so I might have scores and scores of sealed bags in one box, and sometimes several rows of related SMD parts partitioned and labeled in one bag.

... But honestly, most of the parts that make it this far are basically going to the graveyard/archive. Maybe 10% of this stuff sees the light of day, ever again. It's nice to know it's there, and waste not want not, and all. But the jelly bean parts I use the most are in a test tube rack, on reels on my reel holder, or on cut tape that is prearranged on little boards that are just wide enough to hold a piece of doublestick carpet tape with a little room leftover for a hand written label. Aside from some switches or other electromechanical things, most of the boxed and bagged components are somewhat like drawers full of mixed screws or bolts. If I'm desperate for a certiain item I know I have, I'll dig through the appropriate box for it. If I'm going to make more than a few, I'll just shop Mouser for the latest/greatest/cheapest that is more appropriate for my needs and/or volumes, anyway.

Designing a circuit with certain components simply because you have 10 of them stocked away in a box from 3 years ago is not always a good idea. You might get sticker shock when you try to buy more. It might be out of production, entirely.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:49:12 am by KL27x »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 11:36:31 am »
This is the only source I can immediately find:
And it is also reasonably priced. UK shop won't work for me, of course, but at least now I know what to look for. I would not have though people need plastic containers for peel off labels :)

If there is a non-UK supplier please let me know, postage isn't worth it. Aliexpress would be handy.

Offline sca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2016, 11:58:37 am »

SMT Parts
Everything is slotted into 35mm negative holders then stored in two ring binders, lowest value first

Do you have a good source for these. I use the acetate ones from Kenro, but find they're too fragile for commonly used parts - 100n 0805 has broken through into the next two compartments, 10K not far behind. I reinforce the edges with tape, but I haven't worked out a good way of reinforcing the inner divider seams.

I use tweezers for getting shorter tapes out of the slots to try to avoid fat fingers splitting things, but they still do.

Thanks,

sca

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
And it is also reasonably priced. UK shop won't work for me, of course, but at least now I know what to look for. I would not have though people need plastic containers for peel off labels :)

If there is a non-UK supplier please let me know, postage isn't worth it. Aliexpress would be handy.

I have already posted an eBay link in this thread which offers free international shipping - reply 16.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:43 pm »

I have already posted an eBay link in this thread which offers free international shipping - reply 16.

Not outside the UK as far as I can tell. Shipping is higher than cost of boxes for all of those. I haven't seen "Collect at Argos" before, which could be useful, but it also seems to be UK only.
I can have them shipped to Northern Ireland and then re-shipped to a collection center near me but tbh a Chinese seller would be easier and probably cheaper.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »

Not outside the UK as far as I can tell. Shipping is higher than cost of boxes for all of those. I haven't seen "Collect at Argos" before, which could be useful, but it also seems to be UK only.
I can have them shipped to Northern Ireland and then re-shipped to a collection center near me but tbh a Chinese seller would be easier and probably cheaper.

Apologies, I was deceived by eBay, which stated "Free International Shipping" when I searched on ebay.com. The claim vanishes if I specify a country to ship to.

Edit: I suspect these boxes are actually manufactured in the UK, which may explain their absence from the usual Chinese suspects sources.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:30:51 pm by rolycat »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »

Apologies, I was deceived by eBay, which stated "Free International Shipping" when I searched on ebay.com. The claim vanishes if I specify a country to ship to.

Edit: I suspect these boxes are actually manufactured in the UK, which may explain their absence from the usual Chinese suspects sources.

It's possible. I was hoping that they were manufactured in China and sold under some generic name, and the "peel off sticker" term is a Western thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf