Author Topic: Keeping track of things in the lab  (Read 33489 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Keeping track of things in the lab
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2016, 10:11:19 am »
Ah yes, lids are time consuming but worth the effort when you drop one on the floor  :palm: especially one that has parts that bounce 8 feet which are < 1mm diameter  :palm:
... but not if you slip while opening a recalcitrant top and... I'm sure you can guess the rest.

For me that's one reason for not taking components out of their packaging unless beneficial, especially SMD components!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Chris Mr

• Regular Contributor
  • Where there's a will there's a way
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2016, 10:38:56 am »
... but not if you slip while opening a recalcitrant top and... I'm sure you can guess the rest.

I can  :palm:

But on the other hand, you can stack the lidded boxes on top of each other, being a daredevil circus act, and then open the boxes over the bench when you sit down - limiting the target blast area.

I too seem to have lots of SMD bits still in their bags.  I wonder why I do that.  At some point I will go through the boxes of bits and make the latest project out of them instead of something more suitable - would keep me on my toes!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »
I too seem to have lots of SMD bits still in their bags.  I wonder why I do that.  At some point I will go through the boxes of bits and make the latest project out of them instead of something more suitable - would keep me on my toes!

I think you misspelled "toes"; the correct spelling is "knees" :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2017, 02:06:19 am »
That chipeasy thing looks too easy for a human to scramble; those drawers would end up looking like the specialty hardware drawers at Home Depot and Lowes. |O Also, the parts are exposed to the atmosphere, and y'all know what that means.

For small SMT passives, I use cryovials that have micro-QR code labels on the bottom and O-rings in the tops, and I keep 'em in 10x10 index boxes made for cryovials. I also have a few small cryovial work trays I can populate for projects. For small semis, I'm sticking with 2x2 and 2x3 antistat zip bags; they load nicely in slide trays. For larger items, well, I do it this way...

Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2017, 02:13:19 am »
Ah yes, lids are time consuming but worth the effort when you drop one on the floor  :palm: especially one that has parts that bounce 8 feet which are < 1mm diameter  :palm:

I did once drop a partitioned box of E12 trough hole resistors, while trying to catch it i somehow opened the hinged lid and got it to drop face down while open. |O

On the bright side, you now know the resistor color code really well!   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2017, 02:58:14 am »
well, I do it this way...

holy crap. been trying to do this for 50 years.  At least I can now see a picture of it.  :-+
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2017, 04:30:40 am »
Co6aka I like your Stockroom.   :-+  im currently working my way up to 25 tubs of electronics but hampered by room size.
& other family considerations 
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2017, 09:52:31 am »

I did once drop a partitioned box of E12 trough hole resistors, while trying to catch it i somehow opened the hinged lid and got it to drop face down while open. |O

On the bright side, you now know the resistor color code really well!   :-+

-Pat

And i still know them today despite using SMD resistors almost all of the time.

That chipeasy thing looks too easy for a human to scramble; those drawers would end up looking like the specialty hardware drawers at Home Depot and Lowes. |O Also, the parts are exposed to the atmosphere, and y'all know what that means.

For small SMT passives, I use cryovials that have micro-QR code labels on the bottom and O-rings in the tops, and I keep 'em in 10x10 index boxes made for cryovials. I also have a few small cryovial work trays I can populate for projects. For small semis, I'm sticking with 2x2 and 2x3 antistat zip bags; they load nicely in slide trays. For larger items, well, I do it this way...

Amazing stock room you got there!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:55:38 am by Berni »

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »
hampered by ... other family considerations

I divorced that problem. ;D Cost me everything I had, but it was worth every penny. 8)

Maybe I shouldn't post photos of the rest... The bulk of it. :-DD Yeah... :wtf: ...is what everyone would say. ;D

PS- Since a picture is sometimes more useful than words, here are the cryovials and storage/usage:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:41:52 pm by Co6aka »
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf