Author Topic: How much maginification is good for SMD soldering?  (Read 8657 times)

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
How much maginification is good for SMD soldering?
« on: June 15, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
Hi everyone!

I just bought this http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=380108 magnification glass and I like it but the first thing I tried was to solder with it... obviously... But when doing so I came across a problem and is that I have too keep the magnifiying glass to close to my PCB and its annoying to work with the soldering iron.

So I wonder if I made the right choice by taking the 5 dioptre (2.25x) one instead of the 3 dioptre  (1.75X)  what do you guys think?

Anyone has experience on this, I usually don't use magnifying glasses to solder and obviously is not good for my sight.

Thanks!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: How much maginification is good for SMD soldering?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:20:31 pm »
magnifyng glasses do not work. you need something with long working distance....
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: How much maginification is good for SMD soldering?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »
Thanks I'll take a look at it. I've read a bit and they say 53mm is decent working distance?? I have nothing to argue about then, with mine is like 70mm.

Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf