Author Topic: iPhone 6 Error 53  (Read 4928 times)

Offline cimmoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
iPhone 6 Error 53
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:07:05 am »
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: iPhone 6 Error 53
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:16:14 am »
Yeah that sucks. But that said, I don't think I've ever seen a major software/firmware update on any device that doesn't warn you to backup your data first. I've said this time and time again, have a regular backup routine! This also extends to your phone. In fact, if you're reading this, take a few minutes to connect your handset to your computer and copy your important photos and stuff over, so many people don't do this!

As for this error 53, well, I'll put that down to half-baked Apple engineering and software development. If indeed this error is due to some "hardware fault" which the new firmware detects, wouldn't it make more sense to do the scan before the update and give the user some information that "bla isn't working, go see your Apple dealer or continue at your own risk"?

I know when I've updated Android and BlackBerry handsets in the past, they go through all sorts of checks and balances before the update will even kick off. And even then if you brick it, it's not hard to revert to a previous ROM version or if it fails half-way, it will automatically roll back.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:01:31 am »
Yeah that sucks. But that said, I don't think I've ever seen a major software/firmware update on any device that doesn't warn you to backup your data first. I've said this time and time again, have a regular backup routine! This also extends to your phone. In fact, if you're reading this, take a few minutes to connect your handset to your computer and copy your important photos and stuff over, so many people don't do this!

As for this error 53, well, I'll put that down to half-baked Apple engineering and software development. If indeed this error is due to some "hardware fault" which the new firmware detects, wouldn't it make more sense to do the scan before the update and give the user some information that "bla isn't working, go see your Apple dealer or continue at your own risk"?

I know when I've updated Android and BlackBerry handsets in the past, they go through all sorts of checks and balances before the update will even kick off. And even then if you brick it, it's not hard to revert to a previous ROM version or if it fails half-way, it will automatically roll back.

The OP's rant is more than just the data.  If you upgrade a working phone and hit this Error53, what was a working phone is now a paper-weight.  If I understood the video correctly, there is no way to bring it back to the pre-upgrade working condition.

So, it is beyond just warning the user about failed upgrade could wipe out your data, it is failed upgrade could wipe out the phone as well.

Worst yet, taking the OP's word, this is really unnecessary - it is merely to ensure no non-Apple-approved repair/parts, or from the OP's perspective, to punish those with non-Apple approved repair/parts.

Any upgrade should really provide a way to undo the upgrade even if the user's data is wiped out.   I much prefer download to file then offline-upgrade rather than download and upgrade on the fly.  With my generator 1 smart phone (Treo 650), I can upgrade from the downloaded file so I could bring it back to any OS I previously saved.....long after Palm website gone kaput.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 04:08:12 am »
The OP's rant is more than just the data.  If you upgrade a working phone and hit this Error53, what was a working phone is now a paper-weight.  If I understood the video correctly, there is no way to bring it back to the pre-upgrade working condition.

That was my point as well. The backup thing is just a friendly reminder :-)

I've bricked devices before, from phones to motherboards due to dodgy cables to bad media (back when firmware had to be loaded using floppy disks). More often than not there was a recovery method that a user could perform without sending it back under RMA or to a dealer. It seems this is not the case with Apple and it's really just one of the several nails in their coffin. But then again, I suppose one has to look at Apple's target audience. The iPhone isn't the handset for those who want to tinker and customise their phones to suit them, it's also not for the corporate user where security is a major deciding factor. It's designed for the masses where just about anyone can pick up the device and use it. The data that is likely to be stored on them is hardly "mission critical"; probably just family photos and nudes. If 5% of users have issues, oh well, unlucky.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:12:46 am by Halcyon »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:27:42 am »
Maybe I should have named this thread: "Apple engineers morally bankrupt!"

But that would probably be a tautology.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:29:13 am »
Well that was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:05:51 am »
Typical Apple...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/iphone-5s-screw-length-trap/

Apparently error 53 is related to the fingerprint sensor, which sort of makes sense since this is a "security" part; no doubt our neighbourly Chinese hackers will figure out a way around it eventually...

That was my point as well. The backup thing is just a friendly reminder :-)

I've bricked devices before, from phones to motherboards due to dodgy cables to bad media (back when firmware had to be loaded using floppy disks). More often than not there was a recovery method that a user could perform without sending it back under RMA or to a dealer. It seems this is not the case with Apple and it's really just one of the several nails in their coffin. But then again, I suppose one has to look at Apple's target audience. The iPhone isn't the handset for those who want to tinker and customise their phones to suit them, it's also not for the corporate user where security is a major deciding factor. It's designed for the masses where just about anyone can pick up the device and use it. The data that is likely to be stored on them is hardly "mission critical"; probably just family photos and nudes. If 5% of users have issues, oh well, unlucky.
I have some generic Android phones (one has an iPhone-shaped chassis :D) and they're really easy to unbrick - just hold down one of the buttons and plug into USB to get a ROM bootloader which enumerates a COM port. From that you can read/write the flash.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:16:48 am »
Typical Apple...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/iphone-5s-screw-length-trap/

Apparently error 53 is related to the fingerprint sensor, which sort of makes sense since this is a "security" part; no doubt our neighbourly Chinese hackers will figure out a way around it eventually...

But how can it actually provide any security if the only time a sensing of a replacement fingerprint sensor is done is when the OS is updated? Why not test for a new sensor during log-on?

Anyone could replace the fingerprint sensor, even for nefarious reasons and the data will still remain on the device (and potentially be readable) unless an attempt is made to update the OS - at which point it is bricked.

IF it was Apple's intention to do this for "security", then they screwed that pooch pretty well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:21:14 am by cimmo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf