Author Topic: Incandescent light bulbs to make a comeback?  (Read 17939 times)

Offline MacbethTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Incandescent light bulbs to make a comeback?
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:24 pm »
New development could lead to more effective lightbulbs

Bad old incandescents are only 2-3% efficient. LED's and CFL's are ~13% efficient. This new tech could make incandescents 40% efficient by reflecting back the infra-red to the filament.  :-+

Initial prototype has acheived 6.6% efficiency.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Incandescent light bulbs to make a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:18:47 pm »
Regenerative lighting!

Online chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »
It's a really clever idea, reflecting the IR back onto the filiament. Only 6.6% efficient at the moment but it's early days.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »
Incandescent bulbs are back on the shelves. They go for about 1.5 dollars each now, vs 1 dollar for four then.

Apparently the environmental issues of cfl bulbs are just too much for most people, to the dismay of environmentalists who used to push those cdl bulbs.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:50:12 pm »
Apparently the environmental issues of cfl bulbs are just too much for most people, to the dismay of environmentalists who used to push those cdl bulbs.

Most CFLs are terrible light sources, but people shouldn't be put off by energy saving bulbs.

LEDs are perfect and I've never had an issue with any of the decent ones. (The cheap ones die pretty quickly.)

I don't see much of a market for CFLs in 5 years as LEDs will be able to outprice all but the cheapest.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:50 am »
Incandescent bulbs are back on the shelves. They go for about 1.5 dollars each now, vs 1 dollar for four then.
You're lucky, 100W are banned in the EU. Despite me using a remote dimmer switch in my bedroom so as to not waste energy (which is also hooked up to a disco mirror ball and the 90's HIFI with Barry White CD permanently stuck inside) I only have a couple left. I have to ask my neighbours cousins drug dealer if he knows of any 100W bulb shipments coming up in the downtown...  :-DD

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:05:37 am »
There are LED prototypes that have > 50% external quantum efficiency, so LEDs are still ahead in meaningless efficiency claims.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:07:07 am »
It shouldn't be long before LED type bulbs are under $2. I've actually bought some (name brand) at Home Depot recently for $3. Not bad at all considering how much longer they last. My oldest LED bulbs have been in use over three years now. One of them runs 24/7 and is in a fixture where the regular incandescent types were burning out every 2-3 months. That one has already saved me plenty just in reduction of replacement cost.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:13:13 am »
Sooo light bulbs are the source of global warming! I had no idea! :popcorn:

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:13:41 am »
You're lucky, 100W are banned in the EU. Despite me using a remote dimmer switch in my bedroom so as to not waste energy (which is also hooked up to a disco mirror ball and the 90's HIFI with Barry White CD permanently stuck inside) I only have a couple left. I have to ask my neighbours cousins drug dealer if he knows of any 100W bulb shipments coming up in the downtown...  :-DD

Odd, the local pound shop (a large regional chain) still sells 150W bulbs, and 100W pearl ones. Wonder if they're ex stock. I don't use them for lighting, but they make handy load test units and power limiters for repairing power supplies (e.x. https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=ROYHWY79784)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 12:23:44 am »
Cheers tom, I now know where my neighbours aunties catnip dealer gets them from! (are they the "rough use" types for industrial use? - 25% less light per watt so the filaments and thicker glass can survive a bit of abuse)

I have to say, armed with a dimmer switch, and in this crappy UK miserable dim and cold winter, the extra heat from incandescents is not going to waste. Of course I have gas central heating but that is pure CO2 compared to all that lovely clean green wind power that could be spent on a 100W pearl light instead of my gas boiler.

ETA: Yes, the old bulbs were a great aid in my early days as a bench service engineer - a great way of testing a line output stage on a TV for example.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:26:47 am by Macbeth »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 12:32:52 am »
I have to say, armed with a dimmer switch, and in this crappy UK miserable dim and cold winter, the extra heat from incandescents is not going to waste. Of course I have gas central heating but that is pure CO2 compared to all that lovely clean green wind power that could be spent on a 100W pearl light instead of my gas boiler.

This is the key thing where the wider public and policy makers don't properly understand science. Bulbs in the UK get most of their use on dark winter days when the central heating is turned on. In that case the heat produced by the bulbs does not go to waste and they become electric heaters that reduce your gas bill a little. They effectively are 100% efficient under those circumstances.

In the British summer the sun sets very late in the evening so there is little need for lighting at all. And the extra heat might be appreciated in the early mornings or late evenings anyway.

The whole idea that incandescent bulbs are an environmental catastrophe is completely overstated.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 12:44:03 am »
An easy replacement for the banned 100W bulbs are the 105W Halogen bulbs in ES cap for mainland EU or B22 cap for British Isles.  Use anywhere a clear 100W bulb was acceptable

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 12:44:41 am »
I love my incandescent light bulbs, even at 4x of the prices.

The soft yellow glow of those bulbs just warms your heart when you go home at night.

The only downside I have is that I have to change them out in the summer to minimize cooling bills. Lots of bulbs to change.

CFL bulbs have a long warm-up time so to avoid that I had to keep them on - defeating any energy savings they may have over the incandescent bulbs.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 01:11:38 am »
The best thing with nice 100W bulbs other than the 95% perfect heat efficiency is how you can make perfectly brilliant photos and tear downs without all kinds of expensive studio gear!

Also, I am sitting here with a shitty "60W" equivalent halogen. I am suffering from SAD (Seasonally Effective Disorder) - I don't have enough light to do my projects. Depression kicks in. I need a violin...

I'm off to the 99p shop to find some fittings and 150W bulbs tomorrow. I can't handle this misery any more  :palm:

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 02:33:22 am »
Has your local highstreet got a Ryness lighting shop?  If so, I recommend
https://www.ryness.co.uk/105w-clear-bc-halogen-gls-light-bulb

You'll also find similar in big DIY stores.

150W bulbs are a PITA.  You need an all brass/ceramic socket and a high temperature silicone ceiling drop cord with fibreglass sleeving over the wire ends or it burns up the wiring insulation (which can get a bit exciting). 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 04:18:01 am »
I have pretty much given up on CFLs.

They may put out a lot of light over a broad spectrum,but within the passband of the human eye,a "90w equivalent" light is about as effective as a 25w incandescent.

I tried an LED globe,which barely crept above candlelight levels.
That is now doing sterling service in the Toilet (CFLs hated being turned on & off,& croaked).

Most of our "lightbulbs" are now  Halogens,which are a bit more efficient than an incandescent,& put out a similar amount of light in a usable part of the spectrum.

They still are just as crap as the last generation of incandescents were when it comes to longevity.
The last couple I installed lasted a month & four days,respectively.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 04:46:09 am »
I have pretty much given up on CFLs.

They may put out a lot of light over a broad spectrum,but within the passband of the human eye,a "90w equivalent" light is about as effective as a 25w incandescent.

I tried an LED globe,which barely crept above candlelight levels.
That is now doing sterling service in the Toilet (CFLs hated being turned on & off,& croaked).

Most of our "lightbulbs" are now  Halogens,which are a bit more efficient than an incandescent,& put out a similar amount of light in a usable part of the spectrum.

They still are just as crap as the last generation of incandescents were when it comes to longevity.
The last couple I installed lasted a month & four days,respectively.

CFLs are worthless, but do give the LED bulbs another try.  As many have said the brand name ones put out lots of light, and at least so far, are extremely durable.  Have to wait a few years to see if they are as good on longevity as claimed, but they far exceed incandescent and CFL.  Most are also dimmable, and instant on/off so they check all the boxes except low initial cost.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 05:23:01 am »
I replaced my incandescent and halogen, mostly, BR40 size bulbs with LEDs as they've burned out.  I started this about 4 years ago and now have about 50 LED bulbs in use.  None have failed and all produce light that is indistinguishable in intensity, color and pattern from the bulbs they replaced.  They were pretty expensive to start with, $20 per bulb, but the price has come down a lot over time.  However, electricity is expensive around here, $0.25/KWh, so it doens't take long to justify even paying $20 per bulb.  Mostly I've used Feit and Philips BR40 LED bulbs, but I also have a bunch of Cree and Philips A19 sized bulbs.  I'm happy with all of these.

Not having to replace bulbs and seeing a noticeable drop in my electric bill has been most welcome.
-katie

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:02 am »
Changed all mine to philips master line LED lights last year. Because I have children who don't know how to turn off the lights, that's a 20% saving in electricity for me. £190 a year. Bulbs paid for already.

I used the halogen ones in my kitchen lights but they only lasted about 3 months a go. Ended up with cheap LED ones from Amazon as Philips didn't do the form factor and they were as good as. It's like flood lighting now!

I really don't want incandesant bulbs to come back regardless of efficiency or technology. Dead bulbs are a PITA and filaments will break.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:05 am »
It's like everyone has forgotten fluorescent tube batten lighting exists.
Apart from bathrooms and cupboards, where instant-on needs exclude everything but LEDs or filament bulbs, I don't know why anyone would use anything other than long twin-tube fluoro battens in work areas that need bright lighting.

Most annoying place for a slow-start CCFL: a bathroom with the light and ventilation fan on the same switch plate. Switch light on, walk into dark room. An interminable age later the noise of the fan spinning up tells you that was the wrong switch. Go back and try again.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 08:00:38 am »
Even so, they will make them so they fail under 1.000 hours, as they do for 100 years now. Capitalist scum.

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

Are you kidding me? So, there are no 99W bulbs for sale in EU? Or 100W "heaters" (bulbs)?

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 08:46:44 am »
You can get them on eBay if you need them. Also you can get 'natural light' ones from art shops which are pretty close and high wattage.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 10:04:34 am »
It's like everyone has forgotten fluorescent tube batten lighting exists.
Apart from bathrooms and cupboards, where instant-on needs exclude everything but LEDs or filament bulbs, I don't know why anyone would use anything other than long twin-tube fluoro battens in work areas that need bright lighting.

Most annoying place for a slow-start CCFL: a bathroom with the light and ventilation fan on the same switch plate. Switch light on, walk into dark room. An interminable age later the noise of the fan spinning up tells you that was the wrong switch. Go back and try again.

For a moment,I thought you were being dainty about a "dunny",but you mean a real bathroom!
That confused me as the  switch on my "toilet" turns on both,or rather turned on the extractor,then wait for the CFL.

CFLs died from being turned on & off a lot,too,which is why there is an LED  in there now.

There is no extractor in the bathroom.

The nearly worn out single 40watt fluoro tube in the kitchen puts out much more light than any CFL I've ever seen.
They last for ages,too,but they're not pretty!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf