traffic smaller than 500 KB / image
19 (12.1%)
traffic smaller than 1 MB / image
12 (7.6%)
traffic smaller than 2 MB / image
2 (1.3%)
I don't care about the traffic
36 (22.9%)
resolution smaller than 0.5 MP (960x540, qHD)
5 (3.2%)
resolution smaller than 1 MP (1280x720, HD)
16 (10.2%)
resolution smaller than 2 MP (1920x1080, Full HD)
14 (8.9%)
resolution smaller than 8 MP (3840x2160, 4K UHD)
4 (2.5%)
I don't care about the resolution
40 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: NEW FORUM UPLOAD FEATURES  (Read 17714 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Images embedded between text - how big is still tolerable for you?
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
From a smart tv perspective when viewed at 200% this image was ridiculously huge when clicked and a further mouse click just zoomed in even further. The image went to full screen view automatically and looked good when viewed at 100%. I then needed to hit the back button to return to the post but this could be normal as I haven't had a look from the computer as yet.   :-\

Yes, seem you have to hit the back button, it's not a popup.
That's super annoying, having thumbnails behave completely differently depending on where they are in a post. :(

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: NEW FORUM UPLOAD FEATURES
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2019, 12:30:59 pm »
Multiple inline attachment test
781704-0781710-1

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2019, 12:38:55 pm »
Installed and testing a CTRL-V image (Nope, didn't work)
Testing drag'n'drop: Worked!, draged direct from my Sreenpresso window, NICE!  :-+
And doesn't muck up the previously installed inline extras
FYI, there's a substantial "gotcha" with them combined when using multiple attachments: the inline plugin doesn't know about the advanced attachments. So if you use advanced attachments to add multiple attachments (identifiable by the images being uploaded in real-time, adding a thumbnail immediately) instead of clicking the "more attachments" link to add another file chooser), the inline plugin doesn't know this, and sees only the first one.

In the test above, the hare with rifle and Perry the Platypus were uploaded (in that order) using the advanced attachments upload, having selected "inline thumbnail". It only inserts one insert tag (with attachment ID 1), not two. The fox with binoculars was uploaded using "more attachments" to add another file chooser, and it correctly incremented another insert tag (with ID 2).

Expected/desired behavior would have been for the hare to have ID 1, Perry to have ID 2, the fox to have ID 3, with an inline thumbnail of all three. Instead, the fox got ID 1 and an inline thumbnail, Perry got ID 3 but no inline thumbnail, and the hare got ID 2 and an inline thumbnail.

Additionally, the advanced attachments plugin ONLY applies to the first file chooser. Any additional ones added by the "more attachments" link retain strictly the old 1 chooser == 1 file behavior, where selecting another file replaces the previously selected one.

None of this is a deal-breaker (they're still useful plugins), just something to be aware of when doing complex posts with multiple inline attachments. In that case, it's probably best to attach them as traditional attachments and then go back and edit to insert them. But using advanced attachments for multiple "traditional" attachments works great.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »
I FULLY understand when people say that 'Images' or what ever, that are linked 'externally', can
'disappear' over time. However, for the MOST part, such info can be of transient interest at the
time,  for visual interest.  If someone considers the text/images within a particular Post to be of
such Importance, then like myself, I would have SAVED such info, for later perusal/use. ??
Yes, but sometimes the user left the forum and the images are forever gone. And I am not talking about the "joke" images or other General Chat section discussions, but I have bumped into several timeless teardowns and other very interesting bits that are gonski forever.

I had two or three teardowns and interesting posts hosted on Imageshack which I ended up reuploading the images to the EEVBlog. I also warned other users on occasion that their excellent teardowns and posts were lost due to external hosting images - some of them responded positively and did the work at their own personal expense.

Overall, IMO hosting on EEV enriches the forum to an untangible level - we can't predict the future.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, tooki, hwj-d, Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2019, 03:03:31 pm »
Yes, but sometimes the user left the forum and the images are forever gone. And I am not talking about the "joke" images or other General Chat section discussions, but I have bumped into several timeless teardowns and other very interesting bits that are gonski forever.

I had two or three teardowns and interesting posts hosted on Imageshack which I ended up reuploading the images to the EEVBlog. I also warned other users on occasion that their excellent teardowns and posts were lost due to external hosting images - some of them responded positively and did the work at their own personal expense.

Overall, IMO hosting on EEV enriches the forum to an untangible level - we can't predict the future.
I fully agree. There have been more than a few examples of images becoming unavailable on external services. It's definitely not a small or theoretical situation.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, MarkF, Ian.M, tooki, hwj-d

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2019, 05:44:09 pm »
Testing inline full size image (Attachment Link)
One issue with this, compared to the regular [ img ] tags: They don't scale to page width. Instead, it just turns the whole post (not just the image!) into a left-right scrolling nightmare. This could lead to significant problems with people posting inline images on their 30" displays with the browser maximized, not realizing that they won't scale down as the traditional tag does, meaning that any text they write in the post will require incessant horizontal scrolling to read.

That's a bummer. Can it be fixed via CSS?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: tooki, hwj-d

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:54 pm »
From a smart tv perspective when viewed at 200% this image was ridiculously huge when clicked and a further mouse click just zoomed in even further. The image went to full screen view automatically and looked good when viewed at 100%. I then needed to hit the back button to return to the post but this could be normal as I haven't had a look from the computer as yet.   :-\

Yes, seem you have to hit the back button, it's not a popup.
That's super annoying, having thumbnails behave completely differently depending on where they are in a post. :(

Yes, unfortunately, when clicking an inline thumbnail generated by this mod, it doesn't load the full-size image inline. Instead, it just directs the browser to the attachment, which loads as a new page. Ideally, it would've loaded the image inline, similar to the way thumbnails at the bottom dynamically load the full-size image in place.

The following users thanked this post: MarkF, tooki, hwj-d

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2019, 05:48:14 pm »
Testing drag'n'drop: Worked!, draged direct from my Sreenpresso window, NICE!  :-+
FYI, there's a substantial "gotcha" with them combined when using multiple attachments: the inline plugin doesn't know about the advanced attachments. So if you use advanced attachments to add multiple attachments (identifiable by the images being uploaded in real-time, adding a thumbnail immediately) instead of clicking the "more attachments" link to add another file chooser), the inline plugin doesn't know this, and sees only the first one.

In the test above, the hare with rifle and Perry the Platypus were uploaded (in that order) using the advanced attachments upload, having selected "inline thumbnail". It only inserts one insert tag (with attachment ID 1), not two. The fox with binoculars was uploaded using "more attachments" to add another file chooser, and it correctly incremented another insert tag (with ID 2).

Expected/desired behavior would have been for the hare to have ID 1, Perry to have ID 2, the fox to have ID 3, with an inline thumbnail of all three. Instead, the fox got ID 1 and an inline thumbnail, Perry got ID 3 but no inline thumbnail, and the hare got ID 2 and an inline thumbnail.

Additionally, the advanced attachments plugin ONLY applies to the first file chooser. Any additional ones added by the "more attachments" link retain strictly the old 1 chooser == 1 file behavior, where selecting another file replaces the previously selected one.

None of this is a deal-breaker (they're still useful plugins), just something to be aware of when doing complex posts with multiple inline attachments. In that case, it's probably best to attach them as traditional attachments and then go back and edit to insert them. But using advanced attachments for multiple "traditional" attachments works great.

Thanks for all the testing, tooki. This is good to keep in mind.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2019, 10:04:34 pm »
:P I guess it shows that I have  worked in the past as a user interface designer, and as an informal tester at a software company that didn't have a QA department (so the support department ended up doing it as best we could)!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:03:09 pm by tooki »

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:53 pm »

I just posted a message with multiple inline full size images, using the advanced plugin.

When you upload the first image, it places the reference
Code: [Select]
[attachimg=1] where your cursor is if you press the preview button. However, from the second image on, this doesn't work. What you have to do is to upload all the subsequent images and place
[attachimg=2],
[attachimg=3] and so on manually where you want them inlined.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:24:40 pm by bsfeechannel »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 12:27:33 pm »
Dave if you remember back in 2013 I mentioned that you can add max-width to the CSS classes so that embedded/inline images and attachment thumbnails stay within their parent elements (prevents large images displaying off screen).

This new mod embeds the image in a different manner and appears to have no defined class, so you may need to either add max-width to affect the element style in code or define a new class in the code and then add a corresponding CSS class. Here is a reminder of what you added last time to your themes CSS.

a img {
    max-width: 100%;
}

.bbc_img {
    max-width: 100%;
}

While you're at it another problem I told you a while back (that you might have missed) is when user names exceed 15 characters the text overflows into the message. You can fix this by either adding the below to the CSS to either wrap or hide the overflowing text (choose one). Or set the username character limit to 15 characters (if possible, which is probably the better idea).

.poster {
    overflow-wrap: break-word;
    overflow: hidden;
}
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:35:48 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 09:01:19 pm »

I just posted a message with multiple inline full size images, using the advanced plugin.

When you upload the first image, it places the reference
[attachimg=1] where your cursor is if you press the preview button. However, from the second image on, this doesn't work. What you have to do is to upload all the subsequent images and place
[attachimg=2],
[attachimg=3] and so on manually where you want them inlined.
Yeah, I know. I explained that in my post. I bolded those passages in the quoted copy above, for your reference.

And I'm not sure if you picked up on the fact that the IDs the forum software assigns to the images end up being different than the order they're attached, so inlining them as you write the post is not a viable approach, as the images will end up in the wrong places.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:04:52 pm by tooki »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2019, 02:41:10 am »
:P I guess it shows that I have  worked in the past as a user interface designer, and as an informal tester at a software company that didn't have a QA department (so the support department ended up doing it as best we could)!

Yep, that it does. :-+

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:33 am »
And I'm not sure if you picked up on the fact that the IDs the forum software assigns to the images end up being different than the order they're attached, so inlining them as you write the post is not a viable approach, as the images will end up in the wrong places.

I forgot to say that I uploaded them one by one and pressed preview after each upload. That way they appeared in the right order. When you drag and drop multiple files it tends to sort them by size in the list. But I'm not sure what criterion it uses to attribute the IDs.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2019, 04:07:33 am »
It looks like inline thumbnails are intended to expand in place, but it's failling. The thumbnail's link has an event handler that calls ILAexpandThumb() with the attachment number. However, when it's called it fails with the error, "TypeError: img is null".  :-//

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2019, 10:25:19 am »
It looks like inline thumbnails are intended to expand in place, but it's failling.

The inline thumbnails taking over the whole page is more of a nuisance than having to have them at the bottom of the text was!
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2019, 06:50:51 pm »
It looks like inline thumbnails are intended to expand in place, but it's failling.

The inline thumbnails taking over the whole page is more of a nuisance than having to have them at the bottom of the text was!
Ummm... what? The thumbnails don’t take over the whole page. Are you referring to the full-size image loading as a new page when clicking an inline thumbnail?

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2019, 09:28:42 pm »
Ummm... what? The thumbnails don’t take over the whole page. Are you referring to the full-size image loading as a new page when clicking an inline thumbnail?

Yeah, I mean after you've clicked on them to see the full size. :)

I thought the idea was to have the new in-text thumbnails expand within the text, depending on the browser's pixel width, something like InLine.jpg.
If I click on one of the new in-text thumbnails I get NewInLine.jpg, and then have to use the back button to go back to the text.
For me having the expanded image at the bottom/below the thin line was more convenient than the whole new image page version.

Of course it could be something I don't know about firefox.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:45:11 pm by StillTrying »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2019, 11:42:06 pm »

Yeah, I mean after you've clicked on them to see the full size. :)

I thought the idea was to have the new in-text thumbnails expand within the text, depending on the browser's pixel width, something like InLine.jpg.
If I click on one of the new in-text thumbnails I get NewInLine.jpg, and then have to use the back button to go back to the text.
For me having the expanded image at the bottom/below the thin line was more convenient than the whole new image page version.

Of course it could be something I don't know about firefox.
No, it’s not Firefox, it’s the bug I noticed earlier in this thread and which bitseeker just figured out the cause of in his last reply: the in-place image expansion is failing (which is supposed to “catch” the click on the thumbnail — which itself is a link — and expand in place instead of allowing the link to be followed). With the catching failing, the link is being followed and thus loading the image as a new page.

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2019, 11:46:32 pm »
Spot on, tooki. :-+

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2019, 12:45:15 pm »
"the link is being followed and thus loading the image as a new page."

Is it going to be fixed?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2019, 01:35:54 pm »
"the link is being followed and thus loading the image as a new page."
Is it going to be fixed?

There are 3 issues
- the link is being followed is loading as a new page
- when using the attachimg=1 tags oversize images do not auto width
- user name length is spilling outside its parent element (least important)
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:47 am »
The 5 MB per attachment limit might have to be increased to 25 MB so that ppl can post larger images.

(4321.43 kB, 4000x3000)   https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/rc-time-constant-205896/msg2632737/#msg2632737

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2019, 08:47:52 am »
The 5 MB per attachment limit might have to be increased to 25 MB so that ppl can post larger images.
(4321.43 kB, 4000x3000)   https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/rc-time-constant-205896/msg2632737/#msg2632737

:'(

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2019, 08:48:22 am »

Insufficient memory to load page.
Options:    [Abandon]    [Crash]    [Freeze]    [Wait]     :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf