Author Topic: iFixit Teardowns Near The EEVblog Lab  (Read 3118 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
iFixit Teardowns Near The EEVblog Lab
« on: November 04, 2017, 05:24:31 am »
I didn't know that iFixit did their iPhone teardowns within walking distance of the EEVblog lab!
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7x4wxx/ifixit-iphone-x-teardown-behind-the-scenes

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: iFixit Teardowns Near The EEVblog Lab
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:32:07 am »
Video or perhaps an Amp-Hour with them?
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, nidlaX

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »
From the article above:
"...a circuit board manufacturer in an office park in suburban Sydney that owns one of Australia's only electronics X-Ray machines..."

advertising bullshit, I know myself over half a dozen places that own an x-ray inspection machines in AU

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »
From the article above:
"...a circuit board manufacturer in an office park in suburban Sydney that owns one of Australia's only electronics X-Ray machines..."

advertising bullshit, I know myself over half a dozen places that own an x-ray inspection machines in AU

Maybe they mean that they own one of the only electronics x-ray machines produced by Australia? As opposed to other countries?

but that statement is a bit bullshit anyway "one of Australia's only"  usually one of implies theres more than one which directly contradicts only. So maybe they do mean ones produced by Australia?
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »
Probably the only one who is willing to let the machine be used by outside parties without too much hassle. There might be many machines, but most users of them would be not too keen to have anybody just using it, and would likely also have a lot of hassle in doing so, seeing as this would be interfering with the regular money earning workflow.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »
Teardown artist? Does that mean I'm a sandwich artist?

Nevertheless, pretty cool.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 09:53:21 pm »
And who else, other than ifixit, in fact did invent the teardown?
It's him, this crazy Aussi: "Don't  turn it on, take it apaaart"

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:52:57 am »
From the article above:

One of + plural, I don't see a problem.

There's that only in the middle, in a context where it implies singularity. Grammatically it's a mess. Is it "Australia's only electronics X-Ray machine" or is it "one of Australia's [many]  electronics X-Ray machines"?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 03:34:58 am »
Maybe the "only" means relatively fewer, so it means for the size of the country, X ray machine count is much lower than a similarly sized country, but it may not be indicating singularity.
I think it's okay to say "this job can be done by only 1000 persons on earth", and that doesn't sound weird to me.
It would be "one of Australia's few" in that case.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:52:27 am »
Maybe the "only" means relatively fewer, so it means for the size of the country, X ray machine count is much lower than a similarly sized country, but it may not be indicating singularity.
I think it's okay to say "this job can be done by only 1000 persons on earth", and that doesn't sound weird to me.
It would be "one of Australia's few" in that case.
While that is certainly valid, it is not necessarily the only way to express the idea.

This response clearly stated the point:
From the article above:

One of + plural, I don't see a problem.

Use of the word "only" was never intended to signify the singular.  Although the word is commonly used as such, it has no mandatory association with the singular.

What it has been used to describe - and quite validly - is the small number of such devices ... typically in comparison with (in this case) other parts of the world.

This is pedanticism at its least attractive.  Let's not get entangled any further.  It does nothing constructive for the discussion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:54:09 am by Brumby »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 04:13:02 am »
Agreed on the pedantry. There's plenty of worthwhile stuff to discuss.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:16:14 am »

Agreed, that sounds fine. That's using only in the same sense as in "No you can't have a doughnut, I have only 3 left and I need those to bribe the policemen". It's just when only stands on its own that it carries a strong implication of singularity, as in the mathematical formalism "if and only if". That's the beauty and curse of the English language, a word can mean many things differentiated only by context. Trust me, the original construction just sounds wrong to a native English speaker, but I can totally get how the subtlety of the usage is difficult to grasp.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:43 am »
Agreed on the pedantry. There's plenty of worthwhile stuff to discuss.

Whatever do you mean Sir? Pedantry is the core, the very lifeblood of the Internet. :)

Sometimes it's pedantry, sometimes it's remembering that we've a lot of non-native English speakers on here and if someone calls "Bullshit!" based on the language of something, sometimes it takes a bit of explaining why someone thinks it sounds like horse-pucky.

Given that 99.9999% of native English speakers can perfectly use, but don't really formally understand, their own language this can take time.

Personally, I count myself lucky that this forum is in English, not French, German, Spanish or Chinese; I'd be buggered. Sometimes it can be confusing enough when someone's writing in 'merican.  :)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »
I didn't know that iFixit did their iPhone teardowns within walking distance of the EEVblog lab!

You just gave them out the location of your magic dumpster. Someone may start stealing your teardown materials  ^-^
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf