Author Topic: I've lost my Velleman PIC programmer CD (K8048) - would someone help me?  (Read 14384 times)

Offline glossywhiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Hi guys. I have a Velleman PIC programmer type "K8048" (kit form - the pre-made version is also known as "VM111") and I have lost the tiny 8cm installation CD. I don't suppose anyone else here has one of these, or knows a source from where I could re-download the CD? It can't be very big, as it is only 8cm CD and not a DVD.

Even if someone kind would be willing to make an .ISO image of theirs and upload it, that would help. I need to re-install XP on my programmer PC, but am stuck until I resolve this issue.

Thank you so very much :)

[_EDIT_]

The CD was left inside a DVD writer which I sold to a friend. He has kindly converted the CD to a disc image, and is sending it across Skype as we speak. Thank you for all those who tried to help me. :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:44:17 pm by glossywhite »

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
Re: I've lost my Velleman PIC programmer CD (K8048) - would someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »
Does http://www.velleman.eu/distributor/support/downloads/?code=VM111 help at all?  It lists the manual and programming software, if that's what you were after from the CD...

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:15:34 pm »
Does http://www.velleman.eu/distributor/support/downloads/?code=VM111 help at all?  It lists the manual and programming software, if that's what you were after from the CD...

Thank you for trying to help, but I need the whole CD. Also, I may be selling this to a friend in the future, and it needs to be complete.

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

Thank you for trying to help, but I need the whole CD. Also, I may be selling this to a friend in the future, and it needs to be complete.

Download all the files, then fire up your CD burner of choice and burn them to a CD. Voila, a brand new CD.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »

Download all the files, then fire up your CD burner of choice and burn them to a CD. Voila, a brand new CD.

"All the files" on Velleman's site = 1 file, != what is on the original CD. Naturally I'd thought of this - it was the first, and most obvious thought. Thanks

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »
"All the files" on Velleman's site = 1 file, != what is on the original CD. Naturally I'd thought of this - it was the first, and most obvious thought. Thanks

Did it not occur to you to actually check the format of said file? If you did, you would have noticed it is a .zip file. Had you bothered to check this, you would probably have come to the same conclusion that I did, that the .zip file will contain all the files that were on the original CD.

1: Download .zip file.
2: Extract to a directory.
3: Burn files to CD.

EDIT: After this little fiasco, you lose the right to bitch about the Arduino only being for idiots.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:16:37 pm by flapjackboy »

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »
DING DING end of round one!
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »

Did it not occur to you to actually check the format of said file? If you did, you would have noticed it is a .zip file. Had you bothered to check this, you would probably have come to the same conclusion that I did, that the .zip file will contain all the files that were on the original CD.

1: Download .zip file.
2: Extract to a directory.
3: Burn files to CD.

EDIT: After this little fiasco, you lose the right to bitch about the Arduino only being for idiots.

I love it when people try and show people up on forums; it often backfires. Have you owned this programmer? I'm telling you categorically that the .ZIP file supplied does NOT contain the entire contents of the CD, as supplied when purchased. The CD contained a multitude of folders, one of which contained a file named "INSTALL_K8048.EXE".

Nice try, and I appreciate your help and the wish to make me look lazy, but I am not your usual sort of forum dickhead who asks for things BEFORE searching meticulously and thoroughly. I'm generally a self-sufficient chap, and rely upon instinct and common sense primarily, resorting to asking for assistance at the last resort.

Have I missed anything else that you'd like to point out I'm too stupid to not have noticed?

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:12 pm »
DING Round 2! :D
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »
relax.

AFAIK velleman puts a "generic cd" with software for their few kits who need them and simply makes directory's based on the kit ID...
only one cdrom images to manage ...

the manual only stipulates one "exe" file by the way, just like the zip file you can download has one setup.exe

if the download works, installs all you need and you can use your kit, then what do you miss?
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:40:07 pm »
Okay, forget it. I should have known better than to ask on the internet. Always some clever git who exhibits their insecurities instead of being an adult and helping someone in need. I'll do it alone, but thanks to all the others who are trying to be helpful - it is appreciated :)

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:51 pm »
I love it when people try and show people up on forums; it often backfires. Have you owned this programmer? I'm telling you categorically that the .ZIP file supplied does NOT contain the entire contents of the CD, as supplied when purchased. The CD contained a multitude of folders, one of which contained a file named "INSTALL_K8048.EXE".

Nice try, and I appreciate your help and the wish to make me look lazy, but I am not your usual sort of forum dickhead who asks for things BEFORE searching meticulously and thoroughly. I'm generally a self-sufficient chap, and rely upon instinct and common sense primarily, resorting to asking for assistance at the last resort.

Have I missed anything else that you'd like to point out I'm too stupid to not have noticed?

Wow.

Did it also not occur to you to actually run the file that the ZIP file contains? You know, to see if it did indeed install what you wanted? Did it not occur to you that Velleman might possibly have changed their install method? It would seem not. So yeah, it does look like you were too stupid to have missed that.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »

Wow.

Did it also not occur to you to actually run the file that the ZIP file contains? You know, to see if it did indeed install what you wanted? Did it not occur to you that Velleman might possibly have changed their install method? It would seem not. So yeah, it does look like you were too stupid to have missed that.

It occurred to me that you just want to have the last word, for certain. Enjoy your day, and thanks for trying.

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »
It occurred to me that you just want to have the last word, for certain. Enjoy your day, and thanks for trying.

Hey, I gave you advice, the correct advice as it turns out but you were so up your own arse with how clever you are that you thought I must obviously be wrong. It's not my fault you're such a prima donna that you can't handle it when someone else is right.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:22 pm »

Hey, I gave you advice, the correct advice as it turns out but you were so up your own arse with how clever you are that you thought I must obviously be wrong. It's not my fault you're such a prima donna that you can't handle it when someone else is right.

Further confirmation of what I had already said. Do me a favour, and stop trying to "help" me, as you just cause resentment and anger whenever you speak.

You remind me of one of my friends; he can never admit the slight chance that his opinion may be wrong, even in the face of absolute proof that he is. You may have been right, you may have been wrong - quite frankly I care not which, and so may I have been. The fact is that you PUSH your agenda, forcing me to agree with you, and then whatever is left for me to say cannot POSSIBLY be right, and then you try to twist it around to make me look like the one who is saying EXACTLY what you're trying to say:

"I may not be right, but I'm going to phrase it so I appear so, as I cannot handle being wrong. Next, I'll make the other guy feel all these things, by projecting."

Thank you for being right, I am sure you were right, and even if you weren't, you'd never admit such. I pity the others who receive your help.

Good day to you :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:05:27 pm by glossywhite »

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
relax.

AFAIK velleman puts a "generic cd" with software for their few kits who need them and simply makes directory's based on the kit ID...

the manual only stipulates one "exe" file by the way, just like the zip file you can download has one setup.exe

if the download works, installs all you need and you can use your kit, then what do you miss?

let's try once more, I assume there is so much yelling you did not saw my post..

and yes, the crom is a generic one. see here for example http://www.getlofi.com/?p=5
"There was also a mini CD which had the software, schematics, and manuals for all the Velleman Kits on it, double bonus! However finding the VM111 folder was a little hard at first. "

so if you really want the cdrom, might head over to the vellman forums and ask there a copy of this "generic" cdrom...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:07:18 pm by polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »
relax.

let's try once more, I assume there is so much yelling you did not saw my post..

and yes, the crom is a generic one. see here for example http://www.getlofi.com/?p=5
"There was also a mini CD which had the software, schematics, and manuals for all the Velleman Kits on it, double bonus! However finding the VM111 folder was a little hard at first. "

so if you really want the cdrom, might head over to the vellman forums and ask there a copy of this "generic" cdrom...

I'm so sorry - I got kinda distracted by some strange dude :D. Yes, thank you very much - I have signed up to their forums but have yet to receive my activation email... 1.5 hours after signing up :-S

You're 110% correct with the generic CD - that is what I am after, PDFs and all. Thank you! :D

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 06:16:35 pm »
You're 110% correct with the generic CD - that is what I am after, PDFs and all. Thank you! :D

I don't know how much clearer I can be.

You.

Don't.

Need.

The.

Whole.

CD!

Here is the link for the K8048

Velleman include files for several of their kits on the same CD because it saves them money not having to make seperate discs for each product. If you only need the files for one of their products then it stands to reason that you don't need the whole CD as it will contain install files for products you do not have and that are irrelevant.

The files on that page are all you need to get your device running.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »
como'n let it go.

It simply bottle downs to communication as always.

All you need for the board to function is indeed the download.

But it's clear (now) he wanted to find the cdrom contents with all the schematics and pdf's of the other kits .

Which is his good right, just as some people like Arduinoooooo and some don't  ;D

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

I don't know how much clearer I can be.

You.

Don't.

Need.

The.

Whole.

CD!

Here is the link for the K8048

Velleman include files for several of their kits on the same CD because it saves them money not having to make seperate discs for each product. If you only need the files for one of their products then it stands to reason that you don't need the whole CD as it will contain install files for products you do not have and that are irrelevant.

The files on that page are all you need to get your device running.

You're arrogant enough to think you can tell me what I need and don't need? How could you possibly know what I need, want or what I wish to do?

Please, just drop it, and go away.

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »
You're arrogant enough to think you can tell me what I need and don't need? How could you possibly know what I need, want or what I wish to do?

Please, just drop it, and go away.

No.

Here: It's a link to the PDF file that contains the schematics for the board.

Here's the user manual PDF

Those two files, plus the setup.exe from the driver zip file will be the equivalent to the files on the original CD that were needed to get the K8048 up and running. Any other files are not required as they relate to other Velleman products. You know how I know the setup.exe contains the right files? Because I actually bothered to run the bloody installer and see for myself.

Does your install folder by any chance happen to resemble the following image:

If that does indeed resemble the install folder you have on your system and you have no need for the installers for any other Velleman products, then these are the only files you need.

I know what I'm talking about, I've used Velleman products before and I know what they have on their CDs. 90% of what they have on them is for products other than the device you bought.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:22:00 pm by flapjackboy »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »
Dude, just do me a favour AND GO AWAY. You're not being helpful, you're just trying to PROVE you're right. I'm not interested in your help, no matter whether or not you have what I need.

Please, DROP IT, or be reported.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:40 pm »
yikes
-Time

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Velleman K8048/VM111 PIC Programmer - here is the CD ISO! :-)
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:20 pm »
Okay, so I had a lot of hassle yesterday, after having sold a DVD burner... and leaving in it, my Velleman PIC programmer (K8048) CD! This programmer kit is sold at Maplin in the UK, and is also available under a pre-built part No, VM111.

I thought I'd save anyone else this experience, and provide the CD ISO file (just use Nero/Toast etc and burn CD image file to disc, to make an exact 1:1 replica of the supplied Velleman K8048/VM111 kit CD-ROM). I am not sure whether rapidshare have a limited number of downloads allowed for one-off files, but if you lose your CD-ROM, here it is; feel free to mirror it :-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/443649032/Velleman.iso

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Velleman K8048/VM111 PIC Programmer - here is the CD ISO! :-)
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:12:24 am »
i award this thread as 10+ on the troll scale! err, the other thread, not this one... sorry. i wish i could post this there, but i couldnt, its locked already i think. Cheers

ps: then whats with the pickit3 on a saturday morning?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf