Should he sell the scope?

Shit yes, take the money and run!
12 (16.4%)
Yes, then buy a cheaper one and pocket some money
34 (46.6%)
No, keep it for bragging rights
27 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: I do believe I got a good deal.  (Read 27980 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: I do believe I got a good deal.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 01:05:02 am »
Those ebay scopes you listed do look nice... this is a tough decision.

Are you certain this scope would even go for above $5k? It's never been sold on ebay before. And with taxes and ebay/paypal fees it'd lose more than 30% I think...

I've sold an Agilent 54621A 60MHz mixed signal scope for $2500 under 2 years ago. Had to list 3 or 4 times, but eventually someone bought it at the price I was asking. I thought that price was a tad overpriced for a 10 year old long discontinued 60MHz mono CRT scope. Albeit it was pretty nice.
A matching buyer will almost always come along eventually, you just have to hold out.

I'd be willing to bet it would go for well over $5K, you just have to be patient and possibly list a few times. Remember, you have a near current model scope here powered up very few times, there is a big niche market for this stuff.
They key is to prove it's the real deal. Take *lots* if high res photos (hosted on your own server, no the shit ebay hosting). Show it fully working on all 4 channels, say it's "almost as new" show the number of times it's been powered up, offer inspection, link to the Tek site and ho much it costs new etc etc.

Personally I would not list it for under $6K. Probably $7K with "Make an Offer" option.

What taxes? Surely you woulsn't tell the tax department about this?, this is a private sale of a second hand item.

Dave.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 01:10:38 am »
Did the thing come with a cal certificate? If it did, add at least $500 to the price tag.

Damn, and I thought my DSO3102A for $450 was a good deal.
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

Offline allanwTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:14 am »
Hmm, insertion fees are extremely low.

I can put it up initially at a high price and see what happens, since I'm still reluctant about letting it go.

One issue is that I have no feedback on ebay as a seller, but I have 45 feedback as a buyer (which really doesn't mean anything since sellers now cannot rate you). However I will make my listing very complete and put plenty of nice pictures in.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 01:23:30 am »
I was going to post the best/most interesting deal i made in here but didn't want to hyjack allanw's thread

So I just made a new thread were we can all post the best deals we've made.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1711.0
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:47:42 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:30 am »
I can put it up initially at a high price and see what happens, since I'm still reluctant about letting it go.

One issue is that I have no feedback on ebay as a seller, but I have 45 feedback as a buyer (which really doesn't mean anything since sellers now cannot rate you). However I will make my listing very complete and put plenty of nice pictures in.

Ah, yes, zero feedback on such an item rings all the alarm bells. You have a much harder sell, especially to anyone that can't come and inspect.
I'd start selling tons of little stuff first to get your feedback up into double digits., Might take a month, but that could adds thousands to the value.
Or if you know a friend with good feedback, give them a cut to sell it on their account.

Dave.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 03:35:07 am »
stolen
i second

God, you are so lucky! I hate you.
i second! i second.

keep it. this is a gem.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:56 am »
Some food for thought:

This is a beautiful scope, worth far more and almost new.

If the item is stolen, just if, the buyer faces civil charges from the owner and separate criminal charges.

Unlike Craiglists which can be anonymous, eBay leaves an audit trail to control sale of stolen items, they are very good at it now.  

Given the scope is worth over $10K, if you get over $5K for it by US law it is no longer considered small claims, were few law enforcers care [ like trying to recover a lost laptop or cell phone.]  If its sold on eBay, and the original owner wants it back, the secondary seller is now liable to both the original owner and the person he sold it too.

The degree of the crime depends on what the original owner will value it as.  Sale of stolen goods across state lines often elevates a misdemeanor into a felony.

Any burden of proof that the buyer was not an accomplice to a crime rests with the buyer, and whether the law officers will bother to press charges for possession:

http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/white_collar_crimes/crime_property.htm

http://definitions.uslegal.com/n/national-stolen-property-act-nspa/

Most electronics are not investments, they are expenses.

Investments appreciate over time, make you money.

Expenses depreciate, lose money over time.

If you sell a piece of high end gear that is no longer new, what you are getting is its residual value, its often less than the item bought new, for example if you bought a second hand HP 3458a, new about $10k sold by Agilent, it eBays for about $5k.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:22:05 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »
Hmm, insertion fees are extremely low.
insertion fees are low. the reserve fee is where they get ya!

this item would be worth having a professional broker handle the auction. they will have the feedback credibility to land confident buyers and the expertise not get burned. 
-sj

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 01:39:03 pm »
if this would be a car (like Ferrari) you would even not think about to sell it and to buy a cheaper BMW or Toyota,
on the other side, if you have no driver license why to keep Ferrari?

I would keep it, but it is up to you.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 05:31:06 pm »
If you are going to sell it put it away and DON'T TOUCH IT.If you don't you'll fall in love with it and not be able to part with it or regret it every time you turn on your new scope.I would sell, but then have no use for a high end scope.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »
I'd risk selling it - if you think the seller is genuine, and know where he lives, do it, there isn't much risk to you.

I've used one of this range of scopes at work, and it is excellent when you need 4 channels of huge memory depth with advanced triggers. There were a few times when it was invaluable, but also a lot of times I was just viewing periodic waveforms on two channels, with a simple edge trigger.

I can't think of a time in hobby work when I really would need it. In fact, I quite like the challenge of working with equipment that's cheaper!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 08:29:59 pm »

Investments appreciate over time, make you money.

Expenses depreciate, lose money over time.
However high-end test gear depreciates probably less than any other sort of electronics, as the specs don't change very quickly.

And sometimes there is just the pleasure in having nice things and using good tools, as well as that in scoring a bargain. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
And sometimes there is just the pleasure in having nice things and using good tools, as well as that in scoring a bargain. 
[/quote]

I agree.
However, I think you'd get just as much pleasure out of one of those 500MHz Agilent Infinifum's, and at least $3-4K extra in your pocket to boot. I think it's a no-brainer.

Dave.

Offline gib0r

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 09:49:51 am »
Edit: Posted under wrong thread. Moved to https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1711.15
Sorry for the hijack.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:57:50 pm by gib0r »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 10:56:46 am »
WOW!  now that's a deal.

Businesses and labs depreciate gear as a tax write off, so selling it is one way to avoid dumping it, and incurring the hazmat fees now for electronics.  Anyone who carts it off is doing them a service, I get tons of gear available from the biomed and bioelectronics fields but I can't use most of it, unless you like doing biology as a hobby.

Back in July my place of work surplussed a bunch of stuff from our old building, which included a then larger metrology lab...

Day of sale, $40 bought me the following:

Tektronix 2445A
BK precision 1760 PSU
HP 8020 rackmount psu
2x Keithly 2750 rackmount dataloggers/Multimeters with complete software package and Kelven probes.
Fluke 8804A Multimeter
Fluke 8020B Multimeter
HP 3466A Multimeter
Keithly 480 Picoameter
Hart Scientific 1502 Thermometer with probe
Huntron HSR410 switcher
Mitutoyo sheet metal micrometer.
other odd misc items such as hygrometer probes,calibration tools, and some clean room items.

Even with the obscene price, the best part of all of it was being able to overhaul my fathers workbench with extras and what some of the above replaced on mine.  My father has been using the same test equipment since I was a child, and boy was he excited!

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »
If it were me I think I'd definately keep it. Whether or not you use that sort of perfomance.. at least you know it's there. It's a bit like fast bike, you don't ride it flat out all the time, but all that power is there when it's required :)

Great find and great buy.. Enjoy.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »
So, to get I2C or SPI decoding, you have to buy a $1350 dongle. Looks like there's a way to make your own module, as it's just an I2C EEPROM:

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113

I'll give it a shot and report back.

I might open it up and take some pictures. Supposedly it's all custom silicon in there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:23:21 pm by allanw »

Offline cksa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 11:05:31 pm »
Don't turn it on. Take it apart!!!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 12:03:43 am »
Don't turn it on. Take it apart!!!

yeah, it's probably full of bags of heroin
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline VITO

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »
Does any one had experience with this scope?
I am looking for new scope for work and got offered 1GHz version with logic analyzer for $13k instead of $22k
for the same money i can get Agilent 7000 350Mhz version

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
That sounds like a pretty good deal.

I've used it for a few weeks and I really like it. You can configure the memory depth from 1k to 10M in 10x steps. At lower memory depths the scope is more responsive and the digital phosphor updates really fast but obviously captures less info.

The pan and zoom features are pretty useful but the knob is a little hard to use.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »
How many FPS does it render at? The GPU appears to be quite old but I'm not sure exactly how much processing is needed to render a waveform. As for difficulty in using the pan and zoom, a multitouch interface would solve that. Along with the more traditional knobs for those not used to touch screens.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CryptLordGR

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:09 pm »
The sure about everyone is that they would be flying from happiness with such a deal. Keep it or sell it, you win.

Offline Joy at MCS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:21 am »
I can definitely say it was a great deal.
 If you were to buy a new one it would be around $10,200.00 in the states.

Congrats  on your find! 

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 04:11:14 pm »
I'd do what Dave said.  Sell it and get one of those 500 MHz Infiniums and use the extra to get some other nice pieces of equipment or just pocket the difference.
-Time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf