Author Topic: Agilent or TTi for bench power supply?  (Read 5876 times)

Offline John80Topic starter

• Contributor
Agilent or TTi for bench power supply?
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
Hello to everyone! We are in a decision process for a new bench power supply with two outputs and 15V/3A. We need something with high end standards and of course linear.  That’s why we want to select between the Agilent and TTi. Both of those are almost the same in specs and in the same price range (from £600 to £800).

May I have any info about witch brand is better for a power supply? Any other suggestions?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Agilent or TTi for bench power supply?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:17:18 pm »
If pricing & spec is the same definitely Agilent.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »
Well at exactly the same specs the Agilent ones are a little bit more expensive... but this is not the problem. I just want to know which brand is the best in the bench power supply area.

We are going to spend the money one time... so, it is not a big deal to spend £150 more and to get a better brand... 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:59:49 pm by John80 »

Offline comox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »
If it is any value, I am the owner of 3 TTi power supplies.  I have 2 TTi QL355tp power supplies and one EL302Tv (tripple output).
Both are satable PSUs.

EL302Tv
pros: quiet, no fan.  Nice for bench top.
cons: can bump analogue dials easily.

QL355tp
pros: precision, digital, no dials to bump.
cons: some fan noise.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:14:37 pm by comox »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »
Thanks comox! This help me a lot!

One problem with the TTi is that creates different models for 110V and 220V mains input. There in not a switch that you can use in order to change the input voltage. Agilent instead, gives in the user manual of the power supply the method to change the mains voltage (open the case and change the position of two switches).

Very disappointing for TTi...

Offline shadewind

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:37 pm »
I just got an Agilent U8001A as a replacement for a cheap Chinese PSU. From the little I've tested it, I think it's brilliant. This, though, is one of the cheaper Agilent PSUs but still...

Offline Richard W.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:33:42 pm »
I bought a HP/Agilent E3610A.
It works perfect, and its very cheap on the second hand market.

I just wonder why the U8001A is cheaper than the E3610A...  ???

Offline comox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »
One problem with the TTi is that creates different models for 110V and 220V mains input. There in not a switch that you can use in order to change the input voltage. Agilent instead, gives in the user manual of the power supply the method to change the mains voltage (open the case and change the position of two switches).
Very disappointing for TTi...
Not true.  You can take the unit apart and re-configure for the mains voltage.  It is documented in the instruction manuals for both of my power supplies.  Not as easy as flicking a switch, but at least it is possible!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »
That's wonderful news, but I can't find the instruction manual online. Is it possible to upload a picture of the manuals modification page or a scan version?

Update:
I found it!
http://tti1.co.uk/downloads/manuals/New%20PL%20&%20PL-P%20Series%20Instruction%20Manual%20-%20Iss%2010.pdf
Page 9 for the modification...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:39:36 pm by John80 »

Offline vl400

• Regular Contributor
    • Delcohacking.net
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:00 pm »
I have an Agilent E3631A, other than the cheap binding posts (have cracked after 6 years) its is a very good bench supply and cannot fault it. Fan noise can be a little annoying but its a minor thing for the performance - 1mV adjustments on the 0-6 output and 10mV on the +-25v, temp stability is amazing and very low noise outputs.

This model is probably not suitable for your requirements as the +-25v supplies are only 1A but would certainly recommend an Agilent supply.

Online mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:57:47 am »
Both Agilent and TTi are exellent brands. Agilent probably has more brand recognition, but it's surprising how many companies use TTi parts in their power suplies. I have a sorensen bench power supply (the XEL 30-3D), and it has a TTi branded transformer inside it, for example.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf