Author Topic: How to tag someone in a post?  (Read 132194 times)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: How to tag someone in a post?
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2024, 11:13:03 pm »
I don't see why anyone would complain if they can switch notifications about being tagged off.

Ah, glasshopper, you must be new here :)
If you're even tiny bit referring to anyone like me, you're wrong.  I explicitly mentioned that my worries would fully covered if members could switch mention notifications off (so no unchecked notification count next to the Profile button; the list under Profile>Mentions should stay, as some do find it useful, and it is unobtrusive enough there).

(Well, I did also suggest moderators would make a post about it then, telling how it works, and how members could disable the notifications if it annoys them, and perhaps tell new users that trying to rope in members to answer their homework questions is Not Okay.  But that's about proactive community management, not about the feature itself.)

But, if you were referring to the fact that in any forum, there is always at least one person complaining about any single thing you might choose, even if it was free pizza (pineapple? Eww!), then I say Ha, true.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 11:14:40 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2024, 12:23:04 am »
But, if you were referring to the fact that in any forum, there is always at least one person complaining about any single thing

Yes, more that than the other.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2024, 03:31:34 am »
Right, like I said, it's like a PM.  So we're in agreement about that?
It should be like a PM, so each member can control whether they want to deal with it or not, yes.

Specifically, Profile>Account settings>Modify Profile:Personal Messaging, Receive personal messages from: allows one to select Administrators only, in which case other members won't bother you with PMs.  In the same view, one can even enable or disable the popup notification.

If you allow personal messages from all members but disable the popup, then unchecked Mentions count and unread PM counts appear in the same way on every page; the former next to Profile button, the latter next to My Messages button.
The difference is that one cannot disable the Mentions at all, like one can limit PMs from admins only.

Yet, Mentions are unlike a PM, because there is no context.  It is a hand-wave from one member to another.  The Profile>Mentions page contains a list, where the post where the mention appeared to, and the user making the mention are listed.  You cannot clear this list, nor edit it in any way, so in that sense they behave like Thanks (ProfileProfile Info > Show Posts > Thanked posts).

Considering the prominent position (an entire button on every page) it seems that Mentions are as important as Private Messages, except that like Thanks, they're completely out of control of the mentioned member.  In other words, as it stands, members are pushed to act on Mentions by the forum tools, as if they were as important as private messages, but completely out of user control like thanks.

You've pulled this one out of context -- it's in the same paragraph as social function; I'm talking about social function.
Apologies for that; mea culpa.

You left out the unread message count, which is also shown on every page (or maybe that's assumed or implicit).  So it's working as intended?  It draws attention.
But each member can disable private messages, so that only site admins can send them.

How else would you suggest to design a feature, where the purpose is to attract ones' attention in response to a prompt?
Do you want to be prompted and enticed/"forced" to react to the equivalent of a hand-wave across a crowd?

I would let the members choose whether they want to see the enticement/prompt or not.  Just like I normally react to such come-hither hand-waving by simply waving back and doing something else.  If they want me, they can get me and tell me what it is about (i.e. send a PM).

It would be even better if that choice was a drop-down selection with a checkbox like PMs have: for those who feel mentions are important, they could get the same popup as for PMs if the checkbox is filled; and the drop-down selection having 'Mentions button', 'No mentions button', 'Mentioned list only under Profile > Show pages ..'.

Having a selection of options, so that the end user can tune it to their preference (or disable it entirely if they wish to permanently ignore it*), makes perfect sense.
Exactly.

I think that in the mean time, the feature should be disabled so it won't become a problem.  But that is debatable, and others have said to leave it as it is.
The danger with leaving it as it is is that it can suddenly become a problem, annoying members and taxing moderators, and that the user tuning options will never be implemented.

But I don't see how we've gotten into 6+ pages drenched with psychology only to say "the plugin is undercooked and needs [these usability features]".
Easy to say in hindsight, but yes, that is the entire issue here.

A rough equivalent would be for other members to be able to push their posts to specific members, so that in their board views, they'd have a list of messages "recommended" by others for that member specifically to read.

That's a good idea.  A sort of "pinned for you" section, but don't call it that because that implies something very different, but anyway, either they decay (drop off) over time, or disappear as you click them (which, I guess is the current behavior too, just from a different page? It's been so long since I've been tagged I don't even know how it decrements).
You evil, evil person! >:D It is a horrible idea. :rant:

Pushing stuff onto others is not a good way to discuss.  I for one would leave; that kind of pushy attention-seeking I cannot stomach.

waved/shouted someone else in without including direct verbal context because they're involved in the same project too, and I know this, and that's why I'm inviting their opinion on it
Right-o.  Have you noticed it is easier to do in front of a display or paper diagrams/schematics?  Or by lifting your coffee/tea/soda?  Context matters.

There is no such context on a widely-ranging discussion board like this.  You don't know what the target person is doing here.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to describe a Mention notification as leaving a post-it-note on a colleagues/friends/cow-orkers door/desk/display telling them to go and read the comic pinned to the break room wall.

(Almost three decades ago, I was an IT support person for a while.  The "best" bug report I ever got was a post-it note on my door stating "One of the classroom computers is broken. Please fix."  I never found which computer it referred to, as they all worked just fine when I checked them.  Every single one.  It was pretty frustrating.)

It could also be Finnish customs are more formal or polite.
Not formal – we call everybody by their first name everywhere except in the military where we use last names only (or rank and last name, if formal); and nobody uses titles or honorifics at all – but very careful to not intrude on others.  See this Youtube video for an example of a Black Friday sales rush when the shops open.  But it is quite possible, yes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:36:07 am by Nominal Animal »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2024, 03:59:34 am »
Anyway, back to mentions -- in this case, it's a link to a post;

Er no. A mention is a link to a person, not to a post.

Explicit links to posts (and parts of posts) is normal and good.

Are we seeing the same thing?  ...Do you have a different template/style set or something and it doesn't adapt properly?  Something like that?  Surely I can't be the only one with a working(?) list.

The link goes to the post containing the mention,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/emc-test-with-480mhz-peak/msg4981984/#msg4981984
The username is also a link, going to the profile.

If it's really not working right then that's quite worrying... besides the lack of user preferences.

You are someone who writes more interesting, sensible, and helpful posts than many on this forum. Hence you would be more likely to be the "target" of mentions than many people.

I would expect that "Hey, guru. Gimme an answer" and "Hey friend. I saw this and thought of you" and "Please think about this" would become tedious after a (short?) while.

I don't mind answering questions, indeed I go out of my way to answer things at times.  That said, it seems people are more considerate than you expect; or I'm less well known than you think.  I probably get a message every couple of weeks, and maybe... half?! the time it's new users versus someone from a thread I posted in.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2024, 09:58:26 am »
Anyway, back to mentions -- in this case, it's a link to a post;

Er no. A mention is a link to a person, not to a post.

Explicit links to posts (and parts of posts) is normal and good.

Are we seeing the same thing?  ...Do you have a different template/style set or something and it doesn't adapt properly?  Something like that?  Surely I can't be the only one with a working(?) list.

(Attachment Link)

The link goes to the post containing the mention,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/emc-test-with-480mhz-peak/msg4981984/#msg4981984
The username is also a link, going to the profile.

The mention is of the form "@T3sl4co1l" followed by nothing. Focus is on a person.

A link to a post is of the form "Quote from: T3sl4co1l on Today at 11:05:41 am" followed by the post. Focus on the information.

If it's really not working right then that's quite worrying... besides the lack of user preferences.

It works as designed, which IMHO is not right :)

You are someone who writes more interesting, sensible, and helpful posts than many on this forum. Hence you would be more likely to be the "target" of mentions than many people.

I would expect that "Hey, guru. Gimme an answer" and "Hey friend. I saw this and thought of you" and "Please think about this" would become tedious after a (short?) while.

I don't mind answering questions, indeed I go out of my way to answer things at times.  That said, it seems people are more considerate than you expect; or I'm less well known than you think.  I probably get a message every couple of weeks, and maybe... half?! the time it's new users versus someone from a thread I posted in.

My posting behaviour is similar to yours. I enjoy helping "random" people to do things they didn't believe they could do, and nudging people away from silly things.

The problem with mentions is that it makes it too easy for unthinking/selfish/etc people to force concentration on people rather than what they are saying. See also Nominal Animal's points. People coming from FarceBook and Twatter will tend to import comms behaviour they use over there. Shudder.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 10:00:21 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2024, 10:43:47 am »
Could some kind soul mention me so I can have a first-hand idea of how annoying the notification may be, please.

(That seems to me to be the simplest way, the alternative being to turn into a guru and await new users seeking enlightenment - if it hasn't already happened in 10 years I fear this thread may have crumbled before there is success  :-\ )

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2024, 10:48:19 am »
@PlainName so you don't feel left out.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2024, 10:52:21 am »
I don't see why anyone would complain if they can switch notifications about being tagged off.

Because it allows/encourages a lower standard of discpurse, as I have noted (in no order)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5363234/#msg5363234
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5353361/#msg5353361
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5363843/#msg5363843
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5359802/#msg5359802
and others have noted from their viewpoint.
I doesn't appear to be a very rational argument to me.

Anyone could easily write @tggzz in their post, the only difference would be the forum software having the ability to automatically create a profile link and notifying you, unless you have it switched off.  It seems irrational to think everyone is going to suddenly start playing up, if such a feature were introduced. In reality, it will make little difference to those who have notifications disabled.

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2024, 10:58:33 am »
Could some kind soul mention me so I can have a first-hand idea of how annoying the notification may be, please.

(That seems to me to be the simplest way, the alternative being to turn into a guru and await new users seeking enlightenment - if it hasn't already happened in 10 years I fear this thread may have crumbled before there is success  :-\ )

@PlainName test

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2024, 11:29:54 am »

Thank you  :-+

Well, that's  interesting. I get a [1] for my profile, which might be irritating if I preferred to have a clean plate. Not hard to deal with unless there is a mention every time I logged on, though (and that's rather unlikely for everyone except the mods and Dave, I reckon).

There is also a tickbox to enable email notification of mentions, so I presume I could get an email just like I do for PMs and additions to threads I am in.

Edit: the tagger's username seems to be somewhat confused! No, I failed to read to the end. It's correct,  but has missed a mention. That might explain why some users think it is not working.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:33:12 am by PlainName »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2024, 11:39:16 am »

Well, that's  interesting.
It is.
Go back and look at my post where I Copy/Paste your handle and unlike the mention from metebalci, mine was not hyperlinked.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2024, 11:41:43 am »

It is.
Go back and look at my post where I Copy/Paste your handle and unlike the mention from metebalci, mine was not hyperlinked.  :-//

For some (many?) people, at symbol does not create a proper mention (with link etc.) at the moment. It works for me, I dont know why. I saw @tautech 's mention of @PlainName was not working so I posted another one.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2024, 12:10:33 pm »

Because it allows/encourages a lower standard of discpurse, as I have noted (in no order)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5363234/#msg5363234
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5353361/#msg5353361
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5363843/#msg5363843
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-tag-someone-in-a-post/msg5359802/#msg5359802
and others have noted from their viewpoint.
I doesn't appear to be a very rational argument to me.

Anyone could easily write @tggzz in their post, the only difference would be the forum software having the ability to automatically create a profile link and notifying you, unless you have it switched off.  It seems irrational to think everyone is going to suddenly start playing up, if such a feature were introduced. In reality, it will make little difference to those who have notifications disabled.

You seem not to have read all the points.

I agree that not many people will suddenly misbehave, and that the notifications are (currently?) relatively unobtrusive.

Even if that doesn't happen, the quality of discourse will be lowered by
  • choosing to reference people, which I find lacking in taste
  • avoiding referencing exactly what they said, thus being unclear and ambiguous. That is already happening, as I have noted.

Fundamentally I dislike the way FarceBook and Twatter actively encourage superficial "engagement", and actively discourage considered exchange of subtle arguments. They do that using mentions and preventing quoting.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2024, 12:47:11 pm »
@tggzzz

That's a bit presumptuous of you. On the contrary. I have read all of the points. I just disagree with them.

1) That's just your opinion that referring to people is lacking in taste.
2) It makes sense, rather than quoting, if someone's made a short post and it should be obvious, when I refer to them, I'm referring to their most recent reply.
3) Implementing tagging will not turn this site into a social media platform. The quoting facility will still remain and we have a completely different user base.

I also find unnecessary quoting takes up more space. It can make make the thread harder and more time consuming to read a thread. This thread is a classic example of this.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2024, 12:52:30 pm »

It is.

For some (many?) people, at symbol does not create a proper mention (with link etc.) at the moment. It works for me, I dont know why. I saw @tautech 's mention of @PlainName was not working so I posted another one.

Both of yours worked. I wonder if it's an ad-blocker thing, or the editor used - I think there are two ways to get into the editor when quoting.

@PlainName - see if I can annoy myself :) [edit: not a chance]

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2024, 12:54:07 pm »
Can I mention myself?

@xrunner

No? ... damn!

I wanted to use it to help me remember certain posts of mine because I have a bad memory. I was going to buy that memory supplement Previgen. The problem is I can't remember to buy it!  :o
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2024, 12:57:02 pm »
Both of yours worked. I wonder if it's an ad-blocker thing, or the editor used - I think there are two ways to get into the editor when quoting.

I dont see tautech's original mention as a link. Do not look at my quote of tautech's post, if I quote a non-working mention (no link) it becomes a working one (link). Your mention of yourself is also not working. Mine will probably work, @metebalci .

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2024, 01:02:21 pm »

I dont see tautech's original mention as a link. Do not look at my quote of tautech's post, if I quote a non-working mention (no link) it becomes a working one (link). Your mention of yourself is also not working. Mine will probably work, @metebalci .

Might have to do with the Quick Reply?
If you have that enabled it has a few features otherwise not present. I recall there was something enabling you to only quote marked text passages for example.
Interestingly whatever script does it's magic also looks like it looks into the quotes. In PlainNames original post, the @ was not reformatted into a mention, but in Metembalci's answer it was.

@Ranayna Test via Quick Reply

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2024, 01:02:57 pm »
@Ranayna And another Test with the normal Reply Editor on a separate Page

Ok, does it in both for me. No notification appearing anyway, but the @ was automatically converted to a link to the profile.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2024, 01:08:57 pm »
I also find unnecessary quoting takes up more space. It can make make the thread harder and more time consuming to read a thread. This thread is a classic example of this.

This. Just quote the relevant bit, and even that isn't necessary if there is no intervening diversion. We're not all so stupid that we can't work out what it's about, or are unable to scroll up if we need more context.

In fact, some of the wall-of-text posts in this thread are perfect examples of the art. Take, for instance, Nominal's multi-point comment (which I choose merely because it's the last example at this point). The entire (I think - too much to check, sorry) post that is a comment to is quoted, which conforms to the full-quote agenda, but each of the subquotes and corresponding response could be hived off to a separate post and not lose any meaning or context. The response is for that specific text being quoted and should be read as such.

In contrast, the alternative wall of text I find just wasting space. Where is the specific thing being responded to? Which of the many parts is relevant? Dunno, so I just read the response (once I've found it) and make up what the context might be.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2024, 01:12:07 pm »

Ok, does it in both for me. No notification appearing anyway, but the @ was automatically converted to a link to the profile.

It's subtly different. See the attachement, which shows the first one as a link if I hover over it, but the second has a hyperlink underline, so the browser knows they are different things. In what way I haven't a clue, though.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2024, 01:13:23 pm »
The mention is of the form "@T3sl4co1l" followed by nothing. Focus is on a person.

A link to a post is of the form "Quote from: T3sl4co1l on Today at 11:05:41 am" followed by the post. Focus on the information.

Um?  It's immediately followed by text?  There is a tag, and a message; context.

@T3sl4co1l :
The USB diff pair lengths are 122mm (both within 0.5mm of each other)

If that's "focus on the person" then I sure as hell don't know what else we're doing right this instant?  I put your name in the top of this post, clearly I'm talking to you, focus is on a person.

Is your material complaint literally just that the mere aesthetics of the link aren't "right"?  That it's simply not the text used in the quotation box?  I still cannot figure out what you're actually complaining of...

Again, if someone chooses to post an extremely-low-information post... that's not my fault? That's theirs for being shite at communication -- or, more likely, intentionally not trying; but even more likely still, trying out a feature they just don't understand yet, and have the opportunity to learn about.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2024, 01:15:33 pm »
Might have to do with the Quick Reply?
If you have that enabled it has a few features otherwise not present. I recall there was something enabling you to only quote marked text passages for example.

I think we need information from forum admins to figure this out. I was not aware of the problem, @ebastler has raised it to my attention. I tried different things and it was always working for me and not for ebastler. I did not try disabling quick reply, I am not aware of all options but there is I think nothing directly related to mentions. If it is due to quick reply, it is still a problem.

Interestingly whatever script does it's magic also looks like it looks into the quotes. In PlainNames original post, the @ was not reformatted into a mention, but in Metembalci's answer it was.

Thanks for making an example of a point I raised earlier, it is not difficult to make a mistake when writing a username if there is no mention with auto-complete.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2024, 01:31:52 pm »

It's subtly different. See the attachement, which shows the first one as a link if I hover over it, but the second has a hyperlink underline, so the browser knows they are different things. In what way I haven't a clue, though.

That underline might be on me. I fiddled around with the WYSIWYG Editor which i normally have disabled here. It might have converted the link once i edited the Post.
Hence another test with the separate Editor, non-WYSIWYG, which i will not edit afterwards. @Ranayna Testtest

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2024, 04:12:46 pm »
Yep, that isn't underlined.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf