Author Topic: How is Chipageddon affecting you?  (Read 297200 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: How is Chipageddon affecting you?
« Reply #825 on: April 02, 2022, 05:56:33 pm »
Surely tube distortion is understood well enough that someone could implement it in a DSP block.  I get the 'cool factor' of having real tubes but that only goes so far.
A lot of guitar amp simulation in DSP is going exactly that.

Yep. And coming up with a good simulation is incredibly hard. It has been attempted for several decades with varying levels of success. Some approaches do sound better than others. Most of the "best" ones are patented anyway. It's a lot harder than it looks. There are also hundreds of papers about just this.

Anyway, the idea is relatively irrelevant to the current situation.
Many DSPs and CPUs in general are not any more currently available than tubes, so...

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #826 on: April 02, 2022, 06:54:56 pm »
Before the current panic, the usual problem that the hardware engineers at my employer had is that they would find an ideal product from Maxim, design it in, and then they would discontinue the device.
My useful reply was "But, I can still buy 6L6s!"

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #827 on: April 02, 2022, 09:51:48 pm »
My useful reply was "But, I can still buy 6L6s!"
In keeping with the title of this thread, updated for the Russia situation and that comment about the guy in France:

"But, I can still buy make 6L6s!"

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #828 on: April 02, 2022, 09:56:17 pm »
Maybe UX201As, but 6L6s are a bit harder.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #829 on: April 02, 2022, 10:26:35 pm »
I'd still argue that for garage-based fabrication I'd have a better chance with tubes than semiconductors.

Although that one guy has been fabbing chips in HIS garage, so there is hope.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #830 on: April 02, 2022, 10:51:54 pm »
Maxim has been the odd one out in this whole situation, almost no issues with their parts.  Meanwhile we're not designing any new products with TI parts as we receive zero assurances about their availability and frequently there are no stocking distributors for the majority of their parts.

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: April 02, 2022, 10:56:31 pm »
41.494 Expected 5/12/2023

LM35DT is almost unobtainium these days. Well, looks like I will have to redesign my project with some other solution.  :palm:

https://hr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/LM35DT-NOPB?qs=QbsRYf82W3GXt6%2FRzDIixw%3D%3D

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #832 on: April 03, 2022, 05:56:07 pm »
I’m trying to design an e-fuse system , but there’s not a high side automotive switch to be had , sheesh
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #833 on: April 03, 2022, 06:48:15 pm »
ASML the machine that makes chips cant get chips to make the machine that make chips says its CEO who also includes the geopolitics aspect

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:00:03 pm by MT »

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #834 on: April 03, 2022, 08:08:02 pm »
No more distorted Putin rock and roll!

Putin was one of the guys that made the blue jeans illegal, raising their prices through the roof..
He stayed in the KGB building to protect the files when the STASI guys were all deserting their posts, and "changing into civilian clothes" whatever that meant. Or so I heard. (He was in the former DDR) He was mad that the former USSR was imploding under its own weight.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:56:46 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #835 on: April 03, 2022, 09:23:41 pm »
i have a design using an AD5693R nanoDAC which is hardly available these days. Looks like I will be able to buy some in August this year, right now they're not in stock at any of the major distributors. This particular DAC is hard to replace, for me, mainly due to the 2ppm internal voltage reference. The price has gone up, too. In single quantities, it's listed at >8€ at Mouser. When I last bought it, the price was around 6.50€.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
« Reply #836 on: April 04, 2022, 11:26:19 am »
Maxim has been the odd one out in this whole situation, almost no issues with their parts

Maybe, at a price of 3x what it should be... OK if you aren't buying 10k of them.

And there are fake parts circulating so you have to be very careful
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/fake-max3089csd-date-code-1338/msg4092550/#msg4092550
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #837 on: April 04, 2022, 06:26:06 pm »
That's ironic, as Maxim parts' availability in general was recurently problematic before the shortage.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #838 on: April 04, 2022, 08:52:43 pm »
That's ironic, as Maxim parts' availability in general was recurently problematic before the shortage.

And this might be one reason they haven't suffered as much.  Anyone with two brain cells avoided designing in Maxim parts unless there was no other option due to their spontaneously disappearing nature, but ironically that means during a supply shock they actually manage to keep most lines going better than TI or ADI. 

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
« Reply #839 on: April 04, 2022, 09:49:21 pm »
I cut Maxim out of all new designs the moment they changed from "normal comms" (email, phone) to that stupid ticketing system.

My firm has a direct account with Maxim and it became a real battle even just to get a quote. So I moved to buying Maxim chips from their distis, paying some 20% more. I told their US chief exec that this is an incredibly stupid and arrogant policy; he sounded supportive but soon moved on.

Lately, they have managed to communicate ok by email about that fake MAX3089 but I think the damage has been done. And the reality is that an awful lot of Maxim chips can be replaced with TI or ST, and a lot of the ST ones are relatively unknown, so are available.

Lately I put a lot more effort into replacements and have managed to do most of them - except the MAX3089.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #840 on: April 04, 2022, 11:04:13 pm »
Analog Devices acquired Maxim for $21B, completed Aug. 21, 2021.
So while I would hope there will be changes with Maxim products, but I won't design them in, still feel a burn when I did that years ago.

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
« Reply #841 on: April 05, 2022, 10:10:50 am »
The general idea is avoiding unusual chips whenever possible.

So if you can use an LM358, do so. Of course often it isn't possible, and then one has to look around and make a judgement. Normally TI and ST parts have been good. Normally Maxim have been trouble. Japanese parts are normally ok and are still fairly well available today, probably because they have not been "mainstream" in the West. Who is designing-in Hitachi processors? 25 years ago they were all the rage.

It's gonna be a lot of fun if there are sanctions against China - all those who designed in the ESP32, which gives you loads of bang for the buck compared to ST :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:29:57 am by peter-h »

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #842 on: April 05, 2022, 09:58:37 pm »
It's gonna be a lot of fun if there are sanctions against China - all those who designed in the ESP32, which gives you loads of bang for the buck compared to ST :)
If there are sanctions against China ESP32 availability will be the least of the issues - whether we like it or not almost the entire electronics supply chain is built around China. If everybody suddenly tried to get non-semiconductor parts from the few manufacturers outside of China it would make current 60 week lead times seem like a walk in the park!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #843 on: April 05, 2022, 10:17:09 pm »
If there are sanctions against China ESP32 availability will be the least of the issues - whether we like it or not almost the entire electronics supply chain is built around China. If everybody suddenly tried to get non-semiconductor parts from the few manufacturers outside of China it would make current 60 week lead times seem like a walk in the park!

I think this is a good reason that short of Xi Jinping going mad like Putin (and there's so far no evidence that he will), sanctions against China are unlikely.

China, unlike Russia, is highly integrated with the West with its technology sectors and booming middle class.  While the war in Ukraine is senseless, Putin may have been able to justify his expansionist aims.  There is oil and gas in both Donbas and Crimea.  But China would be decimated by Western sanctions, with very little to gain.   They can shout about Taiwan all day, but it doesn't bring any benefit to them to take it. 

Europe and the USA would still be wise to build up strong semiconductor production and supply chain outside of China and Taiwan though, if only for economic reasons.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:19:26 pm by tom66 »

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #844 on: April 05, 2022, 10:31:29 pm »
Europe and the USA would still be wise to build up strong semiconductor production and supply chain outside of China and Taiwan though, if only for economic reasons.
They'd be well advised to build a defense around ASML's corporate headquarters too. That is the very definition of "single sourced", literally for the entire planet.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #845 on: April 06, 2022, 12:26:07 am »
They'd be well advised to build a defense around ASML's corporate headquarters too. That is the very definition of "single sourced", literally for the entire planet.
There is. There are nukes stationed just 20km away from ASML's HQ.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #846 on: April 06, 2022, 08:59:20 am »
Even SN74LS04N in DIP is unavailable from distributors.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #847 on: April 06, 2022, 03:30:37 pm »
Well there are some if you're really desperate :
https://www.rocelec.com/part/NSC74LS04PC?utm_source=findChips&utm_medium=buyNow

Also, who still uses DIL 74LS04's?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #848 on: April 06, 2022, 05:45:14 pm »
Well there are some if you're really desperate :
https://www.rocelec.com/part/NSC74LS04PC?utm_source=findChips&utm_medium=buyNow

Also, who still uses DIL 74LS04's?

LOL!

Well, it’s not for new stuff, it’s for repairing old stuff.

Back when I started, 74LS was too expensive for a kid on a paper round, we had to make do with vanilla 74 series, many desoldered from surplus boards.

74LS saw in the dawn of microcomputers that didn’t need massive heatsinks on expensive voltage regulators.

Old farts like me used a resistor, a zener and a discrete Darlington using a 2N3055, the posh kids used an LM309K or, posher still, LM323K, in a TO3.

Edit: Holy f…! $10.44 and it’s Nat Semi, not even TI ;-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:58:10 pm by Howardlong »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #849 on: April 06, 2022, 06:44:29 pm »
LM555 "Expected 2023-04-24" ouch the jellybeans look affected.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf