Author Topic: Hitachi Oscilloscope owners?  (Read 12212 times)

Offline steve30Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
Hitachi Oscilloscope owners?
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:36:30 pm »
Just wondering if we have anyone here who owns a Hitachi oscilloscope?

The first scopes I learned to use at college a few years back were the old V-212 and newer V-252.

I've wanted my own for some time so I recently bought a Hitachi V-222 off ebay. Its a really nice little unit :). I pondered buying a scope with luxuries like cursors but decided I didn't really need that.

At my current technical college, we have tons of Hameg model 203s. These are decent little scopes, with pretty much the same spec as these Hitachis, but I really don't like the controls on them. The knobs and switches just don't seem to be as logical/well designed as the Hitachi.

My only complaint about the old Hitachis is the Volts/div knobs. They are very stiff and not very clicky. Fortunately, the ones on mine seem clean, and hence work fine, but one of the ones I used at college was bad tot he point where it was virtually unusable, and just as stiff/unclicky as mine.

Here's a picture:

(hires: http://stevecoates.net/hitachiv222_full.jpg)

I'm also not too keen on the colour scheme. I much prefer Tektronix blue :)

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Hitachi Oscilloscope owners?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:09:41 pm »
A good member of this forum gifted me a Hitachi V-665 (60mhz), I only paid for shipping. 

It works great, very happy with it. 

Yes, it's a bit more difficult to used compared to how Rigol scopes seem to be in videos but I'm ok with it. Knobs feel fine on mine.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:17:38 pm »
I've got a V-515B 50MHz 2 channel scope and I quite like it. It's never gone wrong in the 12 years I owned it. Can't complain about the switches, they work fine. I do love the toggle switches Hitachi used, they're a joy to play around with - very nice clicky action ;).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:47 pm »
The toggle switches on this V-222 are lovely. Its sat next to me on the desk now and I can't help but fiddle with them.

I seem to recall that the Volts/div knobs on the more modern V-252 model were much better, but I haven't used one in ages, so my memory might be playing tricks.

Can't compare this to a digital scope as I have never used one, but I do like having lots of knobs and switches. I would probably prefer that to a menu based system.

Offline felixd

• Regular Contributor
    • FlameIT - Liquid Immersion Cooling
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:40:59 pm »
I've just bought HITACHI V 1085 (100MHz,4ch). Came today.
I've bought it for 100$.
Works like a charm.
Pawel 'felixd' Wojciechowski
FlameIT - Liquid Immersion Cooling https://flameit.io
OpenPGP: 0x9CC77B3A8866A558 https://openpgp.flameit.io/

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:28 pm »
I seem to recall that the Volts/div knobs on the more modern V-252 model were much better, but I haven't used one in ages, so my memory might be playing tricks.
Have you cleaned the switch contacts and lubricated them?

Could make quite a bit of difference.

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Hitachi Oscilloscope owners?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »

Have you cleaned the switch contacts and lubricated them?

Could make quite a bit of difference.
I have a Hitachi V-223 (identical apart from it has the option for a delay between sweeps) and cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner (from Amazon, nothing fancy) made a big difference. Before doing so switching between settings on practically any knob caused a large spike to appear momentarily on the screen but now it's much better.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:53:47 am »
I haven't cleaned the contacts yet, but I will give it a go sometime.

I doubt the actual contacts are dirty though as the switches which between each setting very cleanly with no noise. Its just very stiff ::).

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:02 am »
I've still got a few V552 that need fixing. They are good analog scopes, but as I can't find a service manual it does make repairing them a pain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf