Author Topic: High tech CD with HD video and amplifier built into packaging  (Read 2508 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
High tech CD with HD video and amplifier built into packaging
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:06:02 am »
This is pretty cool!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tool-fear-inoculum-packaging/
“Continuing their affinity for pushing the boundaries of physical packaging, the Grammy Award-winning outfit has created a deluxe, limited-edition CD version of Fear Inoculum," the band announced in a statement. "The collectible offering, which was conceived by and directed by Adam Jones, features a 4” HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, charging cable, 2-watt speaker, a 36-page booklet and a digital download card.”
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: High tech CD with HD video and amplifier built into packaging
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:10:17 am »
That's not particularly new. Sadly, we've come to the point where such devices are used as a throw away advertising gimmick.

See:
https://www.bigmessowires.com/2017/05/08/electronic-junk-mail-teardown/

Dave even had one IIRC.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: amyk, wraper

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 12:26:17 pm »
Yeah, those things are definitely last year.

And no worry, somebody will rip the video out of it and upload it to torrents :)

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:11:34 pm »
And only 24 years ago a flashing led on a cd was special

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:39:51 pm »
They've done e-Ink (Esquire), and I've heard of other covers with LCD displays (I think it was Maxim?) and even one embedded in the magazine itself which activates when the page is turned (there is a tab that gets pulled as you flip - from CBS TO The Max Pepsi). A waste for sure, disposable electronics, unlikely to be recycled or re-purposed by 99% of the audience.

There is also the use of USB keys for no apparent reason than to hijack your keyboard input and launch a browser to load up a website. It is NOT EVEN FLASH MEMORY!!!! So you can't erase and re-use the key. It is a complete waste.... I've done a video about it here:

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »
That's not particularly new. Sadly, we've come to the point where such devices are used as a throw away advertising gimmick.

See:
https://www.bigmessowires.com/2017/05/08/electronic-junk-mail-teardown/
That article links to the manufacturer, and reading their site makes me even more angry about this (the bulk of the anger being about the colossal waste of resources that this is): they refer to 1024x600 as "full HD", when in fact that's not even the old "HD ready" resolution (720p), never mind true "full HD" (1080i/p)!

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 09:46:09 pm »
That's nice but I like more what Shriekback did a couple of years ago.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 10:48:55 pm »
I have one of those that is an advertisement for feline heartworm medication, it was delivered unsolicited to the vet clinic my partner manages. Didn't take me long to hack it to play other videos. Seems like there's a password preventing fully reconfiguring the thing though, I didn't spend too much time trying to figure that out.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 12:20:57 am »
There is more technology in the package than in the CD itself, which then begs the question: what's the purpose of the CD? If they had made the package a miniature CD player, that would be a lot more interesting.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:08:29 pm »
And no worry, somebody will rip the video out of it and upload it to torrents :)

That doesn't matter -- the band's fans want the physical artifact.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »
There is more technology in the package than in the CD itself, which then begs the question: what's the purpose of the CD? If they had made the package a miniature CD player, that would be a lot more interesting.

Yes they could have just sold you a small MP3 style rechargeable player shaped like a mini-CD with songs preloaded and the ability to login to a site for downloading other formats. The CD seems obsolete already, at least a player has some utility and you can add extra media on the memory that when you plug into your computer you can view. An MP3 player with 4gb and rechargeable battery costs almost nothing these days, and put it in a cute form-factor that fits the album style or whatever branding they want.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 04:01:50 pm »
I only purchase music on CDs. In most cases I immediately rip the CD and pack it away but I want a hardcopy that is DRM free and I like having all the artwork and stuff. Lots of like minded people out there and "obsolete" formats like vinyl have made a big comeback for similar reasons.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 04:22:44 pm »
I only purchase music on CDs. In most cases I immediately rip the CD and pack it away but I want a hardcopy that is DRM free and I like having all the artwork and stuff. Lots of like minded people out there and "obsolete" formats like vinyl have made a big comeback for similar reasons.

I guess it depends on the artists you are listening to. A lot of the stuff I listen to are from smaller indie artists and smaller labels, although some larger bands I believe have done the same. But they are offering direct downloads from their websites in FLAC or some other non-lossy format, no DRM. For example, look here:

https://shponglemusic.bandcamp.com/

Includes unlimited streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more. Buy Digital Album  £7 GBP

Note they have a 2500 copy limited edition vinyl record for £119 GBP but I'd rather spend the roughly $9 US for the former option. Many groups now have this available, all DRM-free, if you are willing to go the legal route and support the artist. If not, then you can get almost anything anywhere at any quality you want, no DRM. I have tons of CD's also that I have ripped but these days just buy digital. It's faster, cheaper and if I have a file without DRM that I can play anywhere I ever want now and forever, it's as good as owning it.

By the way, at least for Bandcamp sites, if you look at the source of any page, you can fairly easily find the full MP3 links of all of the tracks that are listed and download them all for free anyways. If you buy the tracks you can also download WAV, AIFF, FLAC and other formats. But the idea is to make it easy to support the artists, cut out some middle-men and especially with these smaller labels/artists they tend to have more direct relationship with their fans.

That doesn't matter -- the band's fans want the physical artifact.

And yes, there is the physical component.... I agree. I have bought CD's from certain groups even when they offer the download just to have something physical. It depends on the group, the special nature of the item, if it is collectible, has some interesting features, etc... Other times you just want to listen to it in the car or phone and couldn't care less. I suspect in the case of this Tool album, they are looking for the physical artifact and probably will not chuck it in the garbage, so it really isn't a waste after all (unlike some of those other cheap throw-away electronic display stuff we've mentioned earlier):

Not to mention it appears to be about $200 ???? Is that true?  :palm:  I think originally it went for about $45 and now because demand-supply there are people reselling at much higher mark-ups.

By the way, I looked at a few unboxing videos and couldn't help but notice all the artwork and especially fractal imagery... there is a Koch snowflake, plus some others. This is all about having a limited edition collectible and nothing to do with the music. Probably 99% of people would not be able to justify the purchase, if it is indeed close to $200 for the album. A few people will covet this collectible which may be worth something in the future, otherwise the vast majority will either buy download/stream digital copies or perhaps a regular CD if they have one available.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:01:08 pm by edy »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 07:41:46 pm »
They've done e-Ink (Esquire), and I've heard of other covers with LCD displays (I think it was Maxim?) and even one embedded in the magazine itself which activates when the page is turned (there is a tab that gets pulled as you flip - from CBS TO The Max Pepsi). A waste for sure, disposable electronics, unlikely to be recycled or re-purposed by 99% of the audience.

There is also the use of USB keys for no apparent reason than to hijack your keyboard input and launch a browser to load up a website. It is NOT EVEN FLASH MEMORY!!!! So you can't erase and re-use the key. It is a complete waste.... I've done a video about it here:

Two things you find in a bathroom, toothpaste...and rubber duckies. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 10:54:49 pm »

I guess it depends on the artists you are listening to. A lot of the stuff I listen to are from smaller indie artists and smaller labels, although some larger bands I believe have done the same. But they are offering direct downloads from their websites in FLAC or some other non-lossy format, no DRM. For example, look here:

https://shponglemusic.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp is totally great -- if my local Record Shoppe doesn't stock something I'll get it from BC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf