Author Topic: help me recover my smartphone files, dead LCD  (Read 562 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
help me recover my smartphone files, dead LCD
« on: August 25, 2024, 04:12:04 pm »
... a few days ago I had a very bad accident with my racing bike.

The front wheel slipped on an oil slick that I didn't see, it was late, very dark, I was tired after more than 8 hours of pedaling (120+110km) and I didn't have the reflexes to avoid it, the steering was understeering, I wasn't ready to properly oversteer, the bike went into a dive, and I literally flew into the flowerbed.

I had my smartphone in my backpack open pocket, it flew out and crashed first into a concrete pole, then onto the asphalt

I didn't hurt myself almost anything, scratches on my arms and legs, right knee bleeding enough but not so much that more than 6 stitches could fix, bruises here and there, plastic glasses destroyed, but the list of damages is huge, the wheels need to be changed as well as pedals, right crank and saddle, and the smartphone is to be thrown away.

The impact bent the steel fork and the smarphone chassis, umm, you have an idea about what 45Km/h can do on an impact.
The display was crumpled, the sim was ejected and can no longer be inserted.

Something in the smartphone, however, still seems to work: the white flashing LED continues to flash and at least the Bluetooth works because I see "Motorola G60" when I scan for nearby Bluetooth devices on my laptop.

hope+=2  :-+

The problem is that I had installed Android v11 without ever having enabled either Bluetooth file sharing or file sharing via USB-C cable.

-

I would like to recover some of the documents (pdf and doc) and photos.

Any ideas on how to do it?  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Re: help me recover my smartphone files, dead LCD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 04:53:08 pm »
GWS, I guess you are already looking at new bike parts to build the next one.

With the phone I can't help but I would ask the local lads at the market, iirc crap phone whorehouse has a specific team that can do data recovery. But you might find your house, or other insurance might cover data recovery.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 05:17:34 pm »
Ouch!

Did you enable developer options by any chance? You may be able to use ADB if so:

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/adb-push-pull-commands/
https://technastic.com/unlock-android-phone-pin-pattern-adb/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 05:31:02 pm »
Did you enable developer options by any chance?

unfortunately no  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 06:01:45 pm »
Login to your google account, I think there is a way to get a backup via that.

or use a USB OTG cable to connect the USB-C to a HDMI screen and log in that way and enable data sharing,

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 08:37:11 pm »
use a USB OTG cable to connect the USB-C to a HDMI screen and log in that way and enable data sharing,

brilliant  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline ustaad

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:56:48 am »
Login to your google account, I think there is a way to get a backup via that.

or use a USB OTG cable to connect the USB-C to a HDMI screen and log in that way and enable data sharing,

Motorola G60 does not have USB-C to HDMI functionality

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g60-10861.php

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:16:54 am »
Unless your phone supports MHL or HDMI over USB-C, you are fresh out of luck getting video output from your device.

And unless you enabled developer options to allow USB debugging and access to the memory without unlocking the device, your only really solution is probably going to be replacing the LCD.

The LCD completely dead? (i.e.: You can't see anything at all even under bright lighting?) If not, you can connect a keyboard/mouse via a USB hub to control the device enough to copy data elsewhere.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:43:34 am »
I always expect a dead LCD. This is why I have a VNC server (VNC = Virtual Network Computing) installed and ready for a remote session. This won't help you this time. But always expect a next time round.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

Offline ustaad

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:12:35 am »
... a few days ago I had a very bad accident with my racing bike.

The front wheel slipped on an oil slick that I didn't see, it was late, very dark, I was tired after more than 8 hours of pedaling (120+110km) and I didn't have the reflexes to avoid it, the steering was understeering, I wasn't ready to properly oversteer, the bike went into a dive, and I literally flew into the flowerbed.

I had my smartphone in my backpack open pocket, it flew out and crashed first into a concrete pole, then onto the asphalt

I didn't hurt myself almost anything, scratches on my arms and legs, right knee bleeding enough but not so much that more than 6 stitches could fix, bruises here and there, plastic glasses destroyed, but the list of damages is huge, the wheels need to be changed as well as pedals, right crank and saddle, and the smartphone is to be thrown away.

The impact bent the steel fork and the smarphone chassis, umm, you have an idea about what 45Km/h can do on an impact.
The display was crumpled, the sim was ejected and can no longer be inserted.

Something in the smartphone, however, still seems to work: the white flashing LED continues to flash and at least the Bluetooth works because I see "Motorola G60" when I scan for nearby Bluetooth devices on my laptop.

hope+=2  :-+

The problem is that I had installed Android v11 without ever having enabled either Bluetooth file sharing or file sharing via USB-C cable.

-

I would like to recover some of the documents (pdf and doc) and photos.

Any ideas on how to do it?  :-//

Have you tried logging into your Google account you used on the mobile from your PC? Hopefully if Google Drive and/or Google Photos were enabled to upload data on server you might have some or most of your data already there

Online abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:49:42 pm »
I always expect a dead LCD. This is why I have a VNC server (VNC = Virtual Network Computing) installed and ready for a remote session. This won't help you this time. But always expect a next time round.

I'd be hesitant to leave that on all the time... at a minimum make sure you have a very strong password. I think it leaves the port open on any wifi you connect to, and didn't have any brute force protection last I looked at it...so any scanner on any network you use that recognizes a vnc server can sit there and hammer on passwords continuously.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:28:32 pm »
Have you tried logging into your Google account you used on the mobile from your PC? Hopefully if Google Drive and/or Google Photos were enabled to upload data on server you might have some or most of your data already there

unfortunately Google Drive was disabled.
Everything is local, on the internal flash storage.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 10:01:00 pm »
The LCD completely dead?
You can't see anything at all even under bright lighting?

It crashed into a concrete pole at 45 km/h with a dull thud that sounded like Thor's hammer thrown at speed.

I didn't see it crash, I was busy crashing to the ground in a livid cloud of dust and blood and shivers down my spine,
but I clearly heard the noise it made as it scraped across the asphalt.
It was something that sounded bending like a banana, with most of the pixels
- including those that blink the moto-rolllla logo even when the phone screen is off -
turned into a cloud of splinters.

The only thing that emitted light was a the front LED.
Blinking like a wounded animal, dying, waiting for the plug to be pulled.

Days later, what's left is a black thing that bleeds out something from the battery
and smells like the low quality ink used for the worst newspapers
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:08:25 pm by DiTBho »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:55:18 pm »
Search used displays in ebay. SOmetiems people sell partially damaged screens for data recovery purposes.
Two years ago, I recovered a friend's data from his S22 with a $30 screen instead of $300 this way.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:35:39 pm »
The data cable from the motherboard to the LCD was torn during the impact: is it replaceable?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:49:56 pm »
Buy the whole display assembly, it'll come with the ribbon cable. As long as the connector in board is ok.

This will refurb it almost as new: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166930111655

Also: As long as you don't remove any sticker or label, you can usually return it.
So, before anything else, plug the display to the board and see if it turns on.
Unplug the battery first!

« Last Edit: Today at 12:01:00 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf