Author Topic: Help me please  (Read 8005 times)

Offline akarsh98Topic starter

Help me please
« on: January 15, 2016, 03:07:03 pm »
Hello people
I am Akarsh from India and I love electronics. I am in college 1st year doing electronics engineering. I want to buy an oscilloscope and a function generator but they are too costly. In India there are also not much people selling the old stuff :( help me what should I do? How to get one? Also any way of earning by doing electronics? I also have a youtube channel if that helps in any way which is not much popular. Please help people how to get an oscilloscope..

Offline vlad777

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help me please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:56:41 pm »
Tell me what is the name of your channel if it is about electronics or computer science.
Mind over matter. Pain over mind. Boss over pain.
-------------------------

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:31:50 pm »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:09:10 pm »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:15 am »
Good luck with that, the visa allocation for India has a big back log.  They all get snapped up almost immediately every year.

Offline TechItApart

• Contributor
  • EE Student - Sheffield UK
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:08 am »
I'd ask some of the professors/lecturers at your college if you could buy an old scope from one of the labs.
My University regularly sells off old equipment and some pieces can be a real steal (i.e. soldering iron marked as faulty but has just fused etc).

Offline hamzadis

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »
EEVblog #498 - How to get a $50 Oscilloscope on Ebay

He lives in India, not the US. He even said in his post that: "In India there are also not much people selling the old stuff."
Most of these "oh, you can get a used fluke for $50 on ebay," or "you can get a used scope for $50" statements are only ever true for the US, and maybe Australia and a handful of countries. That $50 scope probably costs up to $300 when you take into account the shipping, import and tax duties. I know it would for me, and Dave acknowledges that in the first few minutes of the video.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:17:42 pm by hamzadis »

Offline Connoiseur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »
In India there are also not much people selling the old stuff.

If you live in a metro, you can hunt down a decent oscilloscope using olx.in or quikr.com.
However you might have to keep a close watch as there are not many people who own one of these just as you said.

Importing new equipment is not very good idea as often you end up paying more than half the price of equipment in shipping. If at all you need a branded gear go to the manufacturing company's website and find their "where to buy" page. Many distributor's website is not linked to any search engine so googling won't help. You might then have to exchange several communication to have the product in hand. :phew:

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 02:17:23 pm »
I have the same exact issues here in Portugal. Is really hard to find used electronic stuff for sale. Even some simple IC's are hard to find and I have always to search on chinese markets.
This type of equipment is not so easy to order like the ICs and other small pieces of hardware. I will buy, in the next days, an osciloscope from Germany. Fortunatly I can order stuff from EU without paying customs, because if I order a scope from US the agents will be very happy to charge me more than 100€.

About the signal generator I will try to get an old one in my university (I don't need a display on a function gen if I have a scope that can measure the frequency). If I can't get one there I don't know where I could get one for a good price...

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 10:12:09 pm »
EEVblog #498 - How to get a $50 Oscilloscope on Ebay

He lives in India, not the US. He even said in his post that: "In India there are also not much people selling the old stuff."
Most of these "oh, you can get a used fluke for $50 on ebay," or "you can get a used scope for $50" statements are only ever true for the US, and maybe Australia and a handful of countries. That $50 scope probably costs up to $300 when you take into account the shipping, import and tax duties. I know it would for me, and Dave acknowledges that in the first few minutes of the video.

Yes, I know.  But he doesn't have a whole lot of options, does he?

Basically "help me buy something that nobody is selling, but for cheap" What else can you say?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:54:28 am »
When I was at the university the hurdles of obtaining test gear were also high, therefore I started to ask some of the lab managers to use their gear on spare time and soon I started volunteering in one of the research labs, which helped me gain access to some more advanced equipment. In a situation like yours that would help not only gain experience from some teachers but also earn their respect and, who knows? Perhaps be on their list if they are willing to get rid of any equipment.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:21 am »
Basically "help me buy something that nobody is selling, but for cheap" What else can you say?
The known triangle: money-specs/quality-time. Choose 2 out of the 3.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:38 am »
The known triangle: money-specs/quality-time. Choose 2 out of the 3.

:-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf