Author Topic: Mouser - In the US is it cheaper to use your own account for UPS or not?  (Read 4719 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I've always used Mouser's UPS option, but I recently got a UPS account so I could save 10% on the very few packages I ship.  Any thoughts on using the "bill to my ups" account option with Mouser?  Is it cheaper or the same as them calculating the UPS?  They are usually pretty reasonable so maybe their rates are already comparable.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Mouser - In the US is it cheaper to use your own account for UPS or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:46 pm »
It will depend on your discount level with UPS.  Your discount level will depend largely on how much business you do with UPS, so as long as it's not more expensive to go through your account, doing so can only help your odds of getting to a better discount tier.  If you're shipping only a few packages a month, though, it probably won't help much.

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
I've always used Mouser's UPS option, but I recently got a UPS account so I could save 10% on the very few packages I ship.  Any thoughts on using the "bill to my ups" account option with Mouser?  Is it cheaper or the same as them calculating the UPS?  They are usually pretty reasonable so maybe their rates are already comparable.

One thing you have to remember if you use your own shipping account.... if the package gets lost, it's YOUR problem. Not Mouser's anymore.  It will be you trying to track that package and dealing with your shipper.  Mouser will not resend your order to you again, whether that's $50 worth of parts or $1000.

Yep... speaking from own experience. (In my story, the FEDEX driver retraced his steps and retrieve my package from the wrong house he dropped it off. But it was a few stressfull days... and since I really needed the parts, I had to re-order them again from Mouser.)

ADDEDDUM: Also want to add that Mouser's level of discount vs. your level of discount, Mouser's price isn't bad. You won't be saving a lot, plus the added risk of loss packages being your own responsibility, I just pay Mouser's fee.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:48:28 pm by fivefish »

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:47 pm »
They are very reasonable; I reckon I'll just stick with their way then.  Thanks guys!

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:27:54 pm »
If you're in the US, another lower cost option Mouser offers is shipping via UPS Mail Innovations for $4.99.  The postal service does the final delivery.

Arrival time is not guaranteed like UPS direct, but in my area it's the same as UPS ground  And because the last mile is the USPS, you get Saturday delivery for free.

I use it for non-critical items and small stock replenishment orders.  If you fill in a company name on the shipping address, you don't get the $4.99 option.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:28 pm »
For small size stuff, Mouser will also ship USPS Priority Mail, which is usually a bit cheaper (and faster) than FedEx or UPS ground.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
Welcome to the screwup that is the USPS-follow the progression from the bottom up:

January 11, 2016 , 2:00 pm Delivered, Parcel Locker PORTLAND, OR 97230 Your item was delivered to a parcel locker at 2:00 pm on January 11, 2016 in PORTLAND, OR 97230.

January 11, 2016 , 2:10 am--Arrived at Unit PORTLAND, OR 97230

January 10, 2016 , 1:37 am--Arrived at USPS Destination Facility PORTLAND, OR 97208

January 8, 2016 , 8:22 pm--Departed USPS Facility SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

January 8, 2016 , 8:04 pm--Arrived at USPS Facility SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

January 6, 2016 , 3:45 am--Arrived at USPS Origin Facility ORLANDO, FL 32824

January 5, 2016 , 10:24 am--Arrived at USPS Facility EDGEWATER, FL 32132 (when I intercepted it)

January 4, 2016 , 8:33 am--Arrived at USPS Origin Facility JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099

January 2, 2016 , 10:21 pm-Arrived at USPS Facility MEMPHIS, TN 38136

December 31, 2015 , 8:32 am--Departed USPS Destination Facility FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

December 31, 2015 , 2:11 am-Arrived at USPS Destination Facility FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

December 27, 2015 , 9:31 am--Arrived at USPS Origin Facility JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099

December 26, 2015 , 10:32 am--Arrived at USPS Facility EDGEWATER, FL 32132

December 24, 2015 , 8:43 am--Arrived at USPS Origin Facility JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099

December 23, 2015 , 9:17 am--Arrived at USPS Facility EDGEWATER, FL 32132

December 23, 2015 , 8:02 am--Out for Delivery PORTLAND, OR 97230

December 23, 2015 , 7:52 am--Sorting Complete PORTLAND, OR 97230

December 22, 2015 , 5:40 am--Arrived at USPS Origin Facility-JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099

December 21, 2015 , 5:47 pm--Departed Post Office--EDGEWATER, FL 32132

December 21, 2015 , 3:52 pm--Acceptance--EDGEWATER, FL 32132

This was a 2 meter transceiver that I sold to a ham in Portland, Oregon.  I shipped on 12/21 and the expected arrival date was 12/28.  I finally intercepted the package when it arrived back at my post office for the 3rd time on 1/5 and complained to the supervisor.  She shipped it 2 day guaranty to be delivered 1/8 and it arrived and is in a parcel locker for pickup by the person yesterday.  As soon as I hear from the ham that it is in his possession, I will be going back to the post office and demand my money back for their incompetence.

What galls me the most, earlier last year, I sold and shipped a large quantity of used ham gear that was donated to my club.  A lot was shipped by the post office and either arrived on time or early.  I understand that it was the holidays and late delivery was possible, but that package went through 5 different states and my post office 3 times alone.  I am going to have to find my UPS account number, suck it up and pay the extra so I know it will get there when it's supposed to.   
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:23 pm »
We've had the same problem with UPS, so they may be no better. A package went between two hubs 10+ times until we called and they stopped it.

Of course we have also had UPS tracking show a package having been picked up, sorted, and crossing from Canada into the US when it has never left our shop. Then when you call UPS to cancel the shipment because while you generated a waybill you never actually shipped the package they say we have to wait for the phantom package to be delivered. When that doesn't happen(because it doesn't exist) they will eventually put a trace on the package, declare it lost and then ask you to file an insurance claim.
VE7FM

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:33 pm »
Well, then, it sounds like with UPS Mail Innovations you get to experience both worlds.  What a bargain!

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 04:07:36 am »
Fedex, UPS, USPS... they all RE-USE tracking numbers. Ideally, after several months.

But sometimes the shipping software screws up and regenerates a duplicate number too soon.
Then you see the tracking # making its way across country for someone else, when the same number is slapped on your own package.

One time I had to uninstall and re-install my Fedex shipping software because of this problem. It  was generating tracking numbers that it already gave me from only last week. So I was sending out different packages with the same tracking #s. Fedex informed me and uninstalling and reinstalling their desktop software fixed the problem.

---

USPS --- one time, my supposedly Fedex package got dropped into a USPS mail bin by my daughter, and I didn't realize what happened until a few days later when the Fedex tracking # wasn't showing up on the Fedex website.  I thought it was a lost package.... but USPS delivered my Fedex package to the intended recipient! I contacted my customer and he confirmed he got the package.  Remember, there was no USPS postage so USPS didn't have to deliver it. So kudos to USPS for that act of kindness :)

----

I like that Fedex hub is in my home state. So no matter where the package came from, I get it within 2 days. I'll place a Mouser order Wednesday night, and come Friday 10am, its on my front door for the price of Ground shipping.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:44 am »
I have a fedex account where I ship 10-20 packages a month.

Usually using the mouser shipping prices are cheaper than using my shipping account.

Note: I am located in a medium-large sized city.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf