Author Topic: Help identifying connector  (Read 6673 times)

Offline grumpydocTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Help identifying connector
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »
Does anyone recognise what series this 2-pin connector is?

Basically it's a standard 0.1", 2 pin connector but with a polarising lug but I've stared at too many pics on the Farnell and Mouser web site without finding an exact match.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Help identifying connector
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »
I've seen them on 3 pin to 2 pin fan adapters.

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:52:13 pm by Monkeh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:59:11 pm »
JST XH series: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=277
Thanks

Actually 2.5mm pitch.
Ah, getting that wrong didn't help the search  :-\

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »
Actually 2.5mm pitch.
Ah, getting that wrong didn't help the search  :-\

Kinda hard to tell, especially as 2.54mm is within tolerance!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:31:46 pm »
It also didn't help looking at the wrong category on Farnell's web site - as it clearly comes as the crimp pins plus housings I looked in the "Plug & Socket Connector Housings" section whereas the 2-way housing is in "PC Board Connectors".

Bizarely the 5-way, 6-way and 7-way version is in "Plug & Socket Connector Housings"

Sometimes I think Farnell do it on purpose  |O

They're out of stock on the 2-way anyway so I ordered some from Hong-Kong off of ebay for 1/3 of the price.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:48:18 pm »

For a couple pins anyway.  But that kind of difference adds up over time, which is one of the biggest reasons why I wish the entire electronics industry would give up on imperial measurement.  Makes PCB footprints a pain in the butt constantly having to toggle between inches and mm.

And this coming from an imperial native.   :o

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:37:05 am »
Does anyone know which manufacturer has these or where to get something compatible at least ?
It is from friend's ASUS X54H laptop. The logo on the top seems to be a seahorse.
Thanks in advance.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:34:40 am »

For a couple pins anyway.  But that kind of difference adds up over time, which is one of the biggest reasons why I wish the entire electronics industry would give up on imperial measurement.  Makes PCB footprints a pain in the butt constantly having to toggle between inches and mm.

And this coming from an imperial native.   :o

Here in England our plumbing is now metric, but as I understand it, the French, who used to buy their plumbing from England are still using imperial and have the sense to keep it that way, rather than introduce a second system.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »
Here in England our plumbing is now metric, but as I understand it, the French, who used to buy their plumbing from England are still using imperial and have the sense to keep it that way, rather than introduce a second system.
Sort-of

In the UK we use a fairly restricted range of sizes - I suspect most domestic stuff was covered by 1/2", 3/4" and 1". These were internal measurements so when we moved to metric sizes the closest were 15, 22 and 28mm - these being outside diameters. You can throw in 8mm and 10mm (outside diameter) "microbore" pipe sizes for modern installations.

For threaded joints we use "British Standard Pipe" threads, commonly found on compression joints etc.

The French use a wider range of pipe sizes - basically anything from 8mm OD up in 2mm increments to 22mm then 28, 32 and 40mm. Their pipe tends to be 1mm wall thickness as well compared to 0.7mm typical in the UK. They quite like to hard solder (braze) their joints although there is regional variation and soft solder (lead free) is acceptable - especially for DIY.

For threaded connections they do, indeed, use BSP threads but they seem to use a much wider range of fittings than is typical in domestic UK installations.

So the actual pipework is all metric but the threads on some connections are imperial.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:40:34 pm by grumpydoc »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »
My favorite metric  size is the standard tripod-mounting screw:  M6.35 .  Otherwise known as 1/4-20 UNC.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »
My favorite metric  size is the standard tripod-mounting screw:  M6.35 .  Otherwise known as 1/4-20 UNC.

And I have taps and die nuts for that, though not the bottoming ones, just the taper and second one.  If I have to do a blind hole I will sacrifice one of the taper taps to do the conversion.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 01:10:17 pm »
Does anyone know which manufacturer has these or where to get something compatible at least ?
It is from friend's ASUS X54H laptop. The logo on the top seems to be a seahorse.
Thanks in advance.
Singatron.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:52 pm »
Thanks in advance.
Singatron.
Thank you. :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf