Author Topic: Hand Tool Storage on the Workbench  (Read 3748 times)

Offline EPAIIITopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hand Tool Storage on the Workbench
« on: July 14, 2021, 05:27:02 am »
I am somewhat new here and this is one of my first questions. Since retiring I have set up two electronic workbenches. One is here in my office, next to my desk. It is simply a folding table, like the ones in school cafeterias. I have some shelf space behind it and on the right hand wall. The other is a smaller one in my garage shop which is constructed with kitchen style cabinets and a nice, oak top (plywood with solid lumber framing). It also has shelves on the wall behind it, but they are shared with my machine shop tooling and supplies. That garage table has drawers and two compartments below for storage and I have promptly used all the easy to reach space in the three top drawers and one of the lower ones. The table here in my office has no drawers, but I have sometimes considered adding one or even two drawer units under it.

I have one problem with both of them, how to store the most frequently used tools on the table tops. For some time now I have been solving this problem by drilling various sizes and shapes of holes in 2X4 lumber scraps or something similar by gluing up smaller scraps to about that size. But with space at a super premium on both of these benches (please do not ask for photos as the camera would probably break due to the mess) I really need a better way to store these tools on these bench tops. Here is a photo of one of those crude blocks. See first attachment.

And I am NOT talking about the larger and less used hand tools. Those are either already in the drawers of the garage bench or in other storage locations. I am strictly talking about the most used hand tools. So far I have two desirable features: first, if it is to be on the table, a small footprint, preferably 4" x 4" but 5" x 5" or even 6" x 6". And second, it should be modular so that I can revise sections of it when I get new tools or need to include another tool in that readily available, table top collection.

I have a 3D printer and hope to use it to construct this. It's work envelope is about a 7" cube.

I have been thinking along two different approaches but, of course, I could use both of them if need-be. One is a lazy Susan tower with a ball bearing mount at the bottom and a series of stack-able sections above it. The other is some kind of holder that hangs below the lowest shelf on the wall. Again, I would want to make this modular so I can make new sections as needed. Most of the shelves are rather full so it would be difficult to clear them to make space on them instead of below.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And I will, of course, post photos of whatever I decide on building.

So this is not a one way exchange, I am including a couple of photos of my hand tool storage in one of the drawers in the garage bench.

After searching for inexpensive aluminum stock for this, I discovered that the local HF store had a sale on four foot long aluminum rulers so I bought a dozen and cut them up. The rest is threaded rod and nuts (mostly used as spacers). It makes a great way to divide the drawer for hand tools that will stand on their edge.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:48:51 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Hand Tool Storage on the Workbench
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 06:17:16 am »
I am going to keep an eye on this thread.

My current solution is a few cups with small long tools just stuck in it and a drawer with a divider box. It's not all that good, so maybe il see some upgrade ideas here. Especially since i do have access to a 3D printer but i am usually too lazy to model my own stuff.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 06:26:11 am »
My setup is different.  I use a small fishing tackle box, sort of a small toolbox, and just throw all my small tools into it.  I have the wire strippers, cutters, long nose pliers, knife, screwdrivers, and so on all piled in.  While it's a mess, it does conserve space, and since I am familiar with all the handle colors it doesn't take but a moment to find what I want.  To get more space, I use both the main box and the lid.  The lid has the frequent tools and the less used ones in the main box.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:05:03 am »
There's no single answer to this.  I've ended with a plastic box full of the most used small hand tools, and a few more boxes around the lab, with large sets of screwdrivers, or taps, or who knows what.

Getting the proper tool, than putting the tools back to their place it's a very time consuming task, and if not dealt with good enough, than that can lead to anything, from cluttered workbench and low productivity up to work accidents.

Ideally I'll want to have a robotic arm handing me a tool only when needed, then taking it back, similar with how the instruments are handed by the assistants to a surgeon during an operation.   ::)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 07:13:26 am »
When you have a spare DAY have a trawl through the 3D Printer thread  :-DD Also the HUGE workbench thread has plenty of good ideas hidden in it too for a second day .......

Makeup for Engineers - evilbay cheapy, now slightly modded with 3D printed buckets for increased storage.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/msg3586002/#msg3586002

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg2721556/#msg2721556

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 08:12:45 am »
Funny coincidence!     I've recently been thinking similar thought, and started up on a small 'corner table' useful for single PC board assemblies (starting with Gigatron projects).
   Photo shows a paper layout, approximating  the table top. I have issues around getting conventional ergonomics, like table height standards (28 to 30 inches height) and inclusion of a drawer, above the leg space.
    In the photo, the leg space is roughed in orange.
Hope I can learn much from your efforts also.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 08:17:15 am »
In this photo, of my crude table top model, shows how I intend to also design for the corner table to be simply placed along one wall (no corner).

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 12:21:59 pm »
My setup is different.  I use a small fishing tackle box, sort of a small toolbox, and just throw all my small tools into it.  I have the wire strippers, cutters, long nose pliers, knife, screwdrivers, and so on all piled in.  While it's a mess, it does conserve space, and since I am familiar with all the handle colors it doesn't take but a moment to find what I want.  To get more space, I use both the main box and the lid.  The lid has the frequent tools and the less used ones in the main box.
That approach works for me too. Tools are in drawers without any dividers. I can get out any tool in a few seconds. Throw them back in when finished! Life is too short to be obsessed about having a neat and tidy bench all the time.
Glenn

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 05:26:59 pm »
Very good topic and I hope more people will contribute.

I have a folding table and it is not possible to have any sort of drawer. So, I end up leaving everything on the surface often getting annoyed with myself for not being able to find what I need in a hurry! 2/3 of the table is occupied with a small train layout and that makes it even worse. Luckily, I don't do much of repairs these days. My scope which gets minimal use is on a nearby shelf at 90 deg to the table. Very inconvenient. Hope some good ideas will come out of this thread.

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 05:38:17 pm »
This is the only way I have been able to keep up with.

1236246-0
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 07:37:12 pm »
For small tools, I found several decent cheap plastic thingies at MicroMark, a vendor specializing in model railroads.  https://www.micromark.com/
One was merely a upward point V channel, handy to hold pliers and cutters.  It has been replaced by their p/n 85149.
The other is a three-layered rack, holding flimsy plastic tubes, handy to hold small screwdrivers and tweezers, their p/n 60295.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 08:40:42 pm »
My main scope is on an old scope cart that is a bit too large for it.  On top of the scope is my LCR bridge.  Another scope cart holds a spectrum analyzer and a digital scope.  The bench itself is a beefed up one purchased as a kit from a now defunct hardware store.  I built an overhang that houses many items of test gear.  Outlet boxes all over the place.  A fluorescent lamp on a movable arm and another mounted under the overhang.  Less often used gear on the floor under the bench and on various other shelves, some on rollers.

Never enough room.  Some stuff remains lost for long periods.  Now and then while working I hear a crash and see some things on the floor so I stop and pick them up.  Not utter chaos but I am working on it.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 09:08:24 pm »
Look for paintbrush organizer in art supplies or hobby supplies.  Amazon lists a bunch of options, but a local hobby store may have some other items of interest.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 11:49:26 pm »
[...]
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
[...]

I'm quite happy with the "holes in a wooden block" solution:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/msg3585883/#msg3585883

Definitely check out that whole thread if you haven't already, you will get some good ideas. Sounds like you need to go with something on the wall or in drawers. If you haven't got shelves above your bench, that's the way to free up some space.

Do you know what your most frequently used tools are? To figure it out for myself, I put all of my hand tools in a bin and then every time I used a tool, I put it in a box on the side. After a week or so the box had all of my most frequently used tools in it, along with a few once-in-a-while tools. Sorting those out was easy.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 12:55:04 am »
There is a reasonable range of options from one manufacturer:
https://www.allit.de/en/products
For all the fancy choices, simple pots with dividers often work the best. Heights of 45mm/63mm/75mm are all high enough to hold most electronic hand tools standing vertical ready to grab. Higher 100mm/130mm are ok but you need to reach "into" them.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 01:55:43 am »
I highly dislike having any more clutter than necessary on my benchtop. If you have any free wall space within reach, take a look at peg boards. I bought a 24"x48"kit from Wallpeg years ago and have been very happy with it.

(click for bigger)

Offline twospoons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 03:10:47 am »
My tools are stored in a random pile wherever I happen to be working ....

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 04:52:55 am »
I hate magnetized tools.  They pick up all kinds of debris and won't let go when I want them to.  Further, the screws and stuff often retain magnetism in annoying ways.  One tool I keep at the ready is my demagnetizer.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 05:11:46 am »
Been thinking about getting something like this but I can’t tell if it will be helpful or a hassle. Guess there’s only one way to find out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#6562A28

Offline EPAIIITopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 09:20:40 pm »
That looks OK for screwdrivers and paint brushes. But my benches have a much greater assortment of tools with very different geometries. Just my best wire stripper, for one. Pliers, solder sucker, digital calipers, etc.

No, I don't think those are any improvement on my shop made 2X4 holder.

Look for paintbrush organizer in art supplies or hobby supplies.  Amazon lists a bunch of options, but a local hobby store may have some other items of interest.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 12:32:15 pm »
My tools are stored in a random pile wherever I happen to be working ....
After a long session at the bench I usually don’t feel like tidying up, especially if it’s WIP. The tools are not going anywhere. I find myself putting things away at the start of a session, leaving out what I will initially need, like in a surgical theatre. 😬

If you have limited space, consider using a few of those cutlery holders that go into kitchen drawers. Cut them up or stack them up.
Glenn

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 01:46:54 pm »
My problem with small tools on a crowded workbench is that the next tool (pliers, whatever) that I need to pick up is always at the bottom of the heap (under the cutters and stripper).

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2021, 03:14:41 pm »
I used to put hooks on a power supply that was always the center of the bench and hang wire cutters and needle nose pliers on it, but if it has side vent holes you need to be careful about not introducing remains of wires stuck on the side cutters (coaxial cable braid) into the power spply.. but I found that it was the best possible place for those tools because it would not get knocked over or interfere with anything.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:09 pm »
I have all my small pcb work tools in a Christmas pudding plastic basin, great thing is it gets a new one once a year  :) Even better we have to eat a large enough pudding  ;D

Online rogerggbr

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 04:06:36 pm »
I'm another fan of magnets, either a bar (sometimes sold for kitchen utensils) or individual ones onto metal shelving. I try to put tools back in approx the same place each time. Big plus compared to the bench top is they don't fall on the floor so much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf