Author Topic: A $55 blow  (Read 11103 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: A $55 blow
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 11:37:13 pm »
They're very quiet at their "idle" speed of around 1200RPM. Actually quieter than a cheap fan at the same speed since they're sine wave drive.
They're not quiet at idle speeds, very unlikely someone would run them at 1200 RPM. Of course they are not like jet engine at low speeds, but still much louder than any normal person would find comfortable. I have a few server PSUs with similar fans. As well we moved to different room 2 of Eaton UPSes at my workplace twice (had similar fans from Sanyo) because people found them unbearable, and they were not running nearly at their full speeds.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 11:40:13 pm »
We have used some 1u computers that sound like a 747 taking

After all, guys like racks ;).

8-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 04:42:35 am »
They're very quiet at their "idle" speed of around 1200RPM. Actually quieter than a cheap fan at the same speed since they're sine wave drive.
They're not quiet at idle speeds, very unlikely someone would run them at 1200 RPM. Of course they are not like jet engine at low speeds, but still much louder than any normal person would find comfortable. I have a few server PSUs with similar fans. As well we moved to different room 2 of Eaton UPSes at my workplace twice (had similar fans from Sanyo) because people found them unbearable, and they were not running nearly at their full speeds.
It depends on the design of the fan. Some have director vanes to increase static pressure that can act like a whistle. The ones without director vanes are indeed pretty quiet at idle.
So why I use a 1U system? Well, no reason. I just thought a rack form factor is good. After all, guys like racks ;).
So do the ladies (and even some cats). Micah Elizabeth Scott has a full 19" rack right in the middle of her lab/recording studio. Granted, there aren't any off the shelf servers in the rack, just a UPS and a few custom built rack PCs. (The newer 2U and larger servers, if not loaded too heavily, could indeed be quiet enough, but it's a lot cheaper to build your own if you don't actually need many of the features like hot swap and tech support.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Elf

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 05:13:32 am »
So why I use a 1U system? Well, no reason. I just thought a rack form factor is good. After all, guys like racks ;).
I built my workstation into a 4U rack case so it could sit in the 52U four post rack with the rest of my equipment (networking lab, old HP PA-RISC, DEC Alpha, SGI machines for fun). But that lives downstairs in the utility room.

The monitors are brought up on displayport, USB repeaters bring up keyboard/mouse, and audio comes up on optical S/PDIF, all through a 2" conduit to the 2nd floor office. So the workstation can be as loud as it wants but it is completely quiet up here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf