Author Topic: Good reading material?  (Read 7565 times)

Offline BlaffetuurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good reading material?
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »
I'm looking for some interesting books to read, what are some books worth reading? Post anything that you are reading or remember thats worth a read.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Good reading material?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:41:29 pm »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: StarMan5

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »
Anything?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space

One of the beste SciFi novels I've ever read  :popcorn:
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

The following users thanked this post: StarMan5

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
The Smartest Investment Book You Will Ever Read.  About $10 on amazon.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:34 pm »
THHGTTG

The entire Discworld series
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:01:36 pm »
*cough * Playboy
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »
*cough * Playboy

I've heard the stories are very... revealing.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:42 pm »
"The Chemical History of a Candle" by Michael Faraday.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 01:29:25 am »
herard on the news a couple days ago. Playboy has announced they will not be displaying nude women in their magazine anymore.  Now when you say you only buy it for the articles, it will be the truth.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:52 am »
herard on the news a couple days ago. Playboy has announced they will not be displaying nude women in their magazine anymore.  Now when you say you only buy it for the articles, it will be the truth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-13/playboy-to-stop-publishing-nude-photos/6851352  ;)

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:30 am »
Guess i best not think of going into any hooters either then, might find they all look like my granny !
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:00:37 am »
TOPIC is reading, not LOOKING... hemmm!  8)
/Erik

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:56 am »

Ha.  I read a book with a similar title to that about 2 years ago.  "The Shocking History of Phosphorus: A Biography of the Devil's Element"  It was pretty good.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 08:30:38 am »

Offline johnwa

• Frequent Contributor
    • loopgain.net - a few of my projects
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 08:37:15 am »

This. And, on a somewhat similar theme:

"On The Economy of Machinery and Manufacture" by Charles Babbage (also on PG)

"Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman" by Richard Feynman

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:44 am »
TOPIC is reading, not LOOKING... hemmm!  8)

Yes and I can read the dirty stories so Nee naaw

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 09:46:26 am »
The Maxwellians http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100647840 is a fascinating history of the men who brought Maxwell's new electromagnetic theory into the mainstream of physics and engineering.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 09:48:12 am »
being serious, i did read about how they electrified the london underground, that was quite interesting as well as looking at how many old stations got ripped down or just plain lost

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »
Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World

In the final decades of the nineteenth century, three brilliant and visionary titans of America’s Gilded Age—Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and George Westinghouse—battled bitterly as each vied to create a vast and powerful electrical empire. In Empires of Light, historian Jill Jonnes portrays this extraordinary trio and their riveting and ruthless world of cutting-edge science, invention, intrigue, money, death, and hard-eyed Wall Street millionaires. At the heart of the story are Thomas Alva Edison, the nation’s most famous and folksy inventor, creator of the incandescent light bulb and mastermind of the world’s first direct current electrical light networks; the Serbian wizard of invention Nikola Tesla, elegant, highly eccentric, a dreamer who revolutionized the generation and delivery of electricity; and the charismatic George Westinghouse, Pittsburgh inventor and tough corporate entrepreneur, an industrial idealist who in the era of gaslight imagined a world powered by cheap and plentiful electricity and worked heart and soul to create it.

Edison struggled to introduce his radical new direct current (DC) technology into the hurly-burly of New York City as Tesla and Westinghouse challenged his dominance with their alternating current (AC), thus setting the stage for one of the eeriest feuds in American corporate history, the War of the Electric Currents. The battlegrounds: Wall Street, the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, Niagara Falls, and, finally, the death chamber—Jonnes takes us on the tense walk down a prison hallway and into the sunlit room where William Kemmler, convicted ax murderer, became the first man to die in the electric chair.

Empires of Light is the gripping history of electricity, the “mysterious fluid,” and how the fateful collision of Edison, Tesla, and Westinghouse left the world utterly transformed.

http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Light-Edison-Westinghouse-Electrify/dp/0375758844/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1445009014&sr=8-3&keywords=books+electric+edison

/Erik

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 03:30:31 pm »
Eiffel's Tower: The Thrilling Story Behind Paris's Beloved Monument and the Extraordinary World's Fair That Introduced It

The story of the world-famous monument and the extraordinary world's fair that introduced it

In this first general history of the Eiffel Tower in English, Jill Jonnes-acclaimed author of Conquering Gotham-offers an eye- opening look not only at the construction of one of the modern world's most iconic structures, but also the epochal event that surrounded its arrival as a wonder of the world. In this marvelously entertaining portrait of Belle Époque France, fear and loathing over Eiffel's brash design share the spotlight with the celebrities that made the 1889 Exposition Universelle an event to remember-including Buffalo Bill and his sharpshooter Annie Oakley, Thomas Edison, and artists Whistler, Gauguin, and van Gogh. Eiffel's Tower is a richly textured portrait of an era at the dawn of modernity, reveling in the limitless promise of the future

http://www.amazon.com/Eiffels-Tower-Thrilling-Extraordinary-Introduced/dp/0143117297/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=01RJCCD2X88AK1SNM2JD&dpID=41bhdGRr-XL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_

THe pople of Paris did think that the Tower of metal would be magnetic, and that it would ripp out all the nails of all the houses so Paris would be destroid..    :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:02:27 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
The Wizard of Menlo Park: How Thomas Alva Edison Invented the Modern World

Thomas Edison’s greatest invention?
His own fame.

Starting with the first public demonstrations of the phonograph in 1878 and extending through the development of incandescent light and the first motion-picture cameras, Thomas Edison’s name became emblematic of all the wonder and promise of the emerging age of technological marvels. But this critical biography of the man who is arguably the most famous of all Americans provides a fuller view of Edison’s life and times–revealing not only how he worked, but how he managed his own fame, becoming the first great celebrity of the modern age.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Wizard-Menlo-Park-Invented/dp/1400047633/ref=pd_sim_14_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NFSH4CRV85NWJH6CSYS
/Erik

Offline BlaffetuurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 10:57:41 pm »
The Last Lone Inventor - A tale of genius, deceit & the birth of television. By Evan I Schwartz.
The life and work of Philo T Farnsworth.
Very interesting book. My only complaint would be that the author gives way too much slack to that lying, thieving bastard Sarnoff, perhaps due to their mutual ethnicity.
Sadly, it almost totally omits mention of Farnsworth's work on nuclear fusion in his last years.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 03:48:54 am »
A Short History of Progress - be Ronald Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf