Author Topic: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software  (Read 179249 times)

Offline BytesGuy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »
Oh interesting, I didn't know about the watermarks on the gerbers!

I think autotrax could be good, but when I used it there were some rough edges.

Out of all the cad packages out there I have used diptrace the most. What made me look at alternatives was hitting the pin limit, luckily you can get an extra 200 if it's non-profit use so I work around it by having multiple schematics and boards. Autotrax is the only package I have found that is reasonably priced for a hobbyist who needs big boards - although I have just found the free designspark, no idea how good it is.

I have mixed feelings on autotrax, so sometime I will give it a proper go with a small project and see how it compares to diptrace.

Offline IliyaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:49 pm »
Oh interesting, I didn't know about the watermarks on the gerbers!

I think autotrax could be good, but when I used it there were some rough edges.

Out of all the cad packages out there I have used diptrace the most. What made me look at alternatives was hitting the pin limit, luckily you can get an extra 200 if it's non-profit use so I work around it by having multiple schematics and boards. Autotrax is the only package I have found that is reasonably priced for a hobbyist who needs big boards - although I have just found the free designspark, no idea how good it is.

I have mixed feelings on autotrax, so sometime I will give it a proper go with a small project and see how it compares to diptrace.
There never was watermarks on Gerber files.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2015, 11:29:11 pm »
Hm???
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:00 am »
Another suggestion to Iliya

I just found this posting and started at the beginning.  After a few pages it gets confusing on what is going on since this started last Jan and at the same time looking at your web site.

Can you edit your messages when major changes are made like: price (started at $49 now $99, I think - I am confused), emails no emails, emails ???, passwords no passwords passwords, free or not free?

It would help me to try and figure out what is going on and maybe others.  If you do this also include the date that you make your "edit"

Thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2015, 09:42:01 am »
Hm???
That is not a watermark, it's a text usage notice. Watermarks are semitransparent graphics.
This text was on the PCB and ALL output, not just Gerber. So it was not a 'surprise' addition to Gerber output.

Anyway, DEX does not have the notice anymore.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:12 am »
Another suggestion to Iliya

I just found this posting and started at the beginning.  After a few pages it gets confusing on what is going on since this started last Jan and at the same time looking at your web site.

Can you edit your messages when major changes are made like: price (started at $49 now $99, I think - I am confused), emails no emails, emails ???, passwords no passwords passwords, free or not free?

It would help me to try and figure out what is going on and maybe others.  If you do this also include the date that you make your "edit"

Thanks

AutoTRAX DEX is no longer free.
See postings about removing the 'Not for Commercial Use' notice in Gerber files. (Hacking Gerber so as not to pay for the software).
I had hoped people could be trusted but sadly some are not.

Anyway you can get DEX for only $39 http://kov.com/purchase/eevblog  - near as damn it free; I do need to eat :)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:40 am »
Hm???
That is not a watermark, it's a text usage notice. Watermarks are semitransparent graphics.

Still playing the semantics game I see.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2015, 11:34:21 am »
Hm???

Still playing the semantics game I see.

It's not about playing games, it's about using the English language. Using the correct words avoid misunderstanding, I'm sure you would agree.

A watermark is an identifying image or pattern in paper that appears as various shades of lightness/darkness when viewed by transmitted light (or when viewed by reflected light, atop a dark background), caused by thickness or density variations in the paper. Watermarks have been used on postage stamps, currency, and other government documents to discourage counterfeiting. There are two main ways of producing watermarks in paper; the dandy roll process, and the more complex cylinder mould process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermark

Gerber CANNOT produce semi-transparent artwork.

Offline LordNobady

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
about 4 lines farther on the wiki page:
Encoding an identifying code into digitized music, video, picture, or other file is known as a digital watermark.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2015, 12:21:05 pm »
about 4 lines farther on the wiki page:
Encoding an identifying code into digitized music, video, picture, or other file is known as a digital watermark.

It is not an identifier and there is no hidden encoding going on.

However, the watermark point is moot as there is no 'Not for Commercial Use' marker/watermark/notice/warning sign etc. in DEX!

AutoTRAX DEX now no longer has a free non-commercial use or free anything.

Non-commercial software is not always free. See EdWinNET http://www.visionics.a.se/EDWinNET1.0-Non-Commercial.aspx where the non-commercial use starts at a mere $440 :( rising to $840. :o This is in sharp contrast to the $39 :) for AutoTRAX COMMERCIAL version. See http://kov.com
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:50:03 pm by Iliya »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:35 pm »
Interesting to see how you ignore your own misuse of terms like "free" and "unlimited" and try to invalidate arguments with hair-splitting mainly based on your own wrong definitions of widely used terms. Honestly, your whole attitude and behavior here and elsewhere would be sufficient to drive me away from Dex/AutoTrax or whatever the thing is called for the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:41:31 pm by 0xdeadbeef »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »

I had hoped people could be trusted but sadly some are not.

true

Anyway you can get DEX for only $39 http://kov.com/purchase/eevblog  - near as damn it free; I do need to eat :)

It is past  " Easter weekend, 5th. May, 2015"

Reading some other threads here, it seems you have a hard time with deadline dates.  I suggest try and stay away from deadlines if you cannot make the changes on your website when the deadline ends.  It looks bad to see that you do not keep your site updated.

Another suggestion that might go against the rules.  Since this is a long post and old and confusing, stop responding to this post.  Then in a month start a new subject post with what you want to say and promote your program.  By then maybe this post will die away.

Keep up the good work.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2015, 10:14:54 am »

It is past  " Easter weekend, 5th. May, 2015"

Reading some other threads here, it seems you have a hard time with deadline dates.  I suggest try and stay away from deadlines if you cannot make the changes on your website when the deadline ends.  It looks bad to see that you do not keep your site updated.

Another suggestion that might go against the rules.  Since this is a long post and old and confusing, stop responding to this post.  Then in a month start a new subject post with what you want to say and promote your program.  By then maybe this post will die away.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for pointing out the Easter deadline. I have now fixed it.
I was responding to the Watermark posting.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2015, 10:35:10 am »
Interesting to see how you ignore your own misuse of terms like "free" and "unlimited" and try to invalidate arguments with hair-splitting mainly based on your own wrong definitions of widely used terms. Honestly, your whole attitude and behavior here and elsewhere would be sufficient to drive me away from Dex/AutoTrax or whatever the thing is called for the next few weeks.

Please read the following very carefully.
AutoTRAX DEX (DEX or AutoTRAX for short) was free and unlimited for non-commercial use.
There is no hair-splitting there.
AutoTRAX DEX is now no longer free and unlimited for non-commercial use. Period. There is no free or non-commercial use version.
There is now only one version of AutoTRAX DEX.

Please read Free but not free or “I’m off to Cancun”

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2015, 12:52:38 pm »

AutoTRAX DEX is now no longer free and unlimited for non-commercial use. Period. There is no free or non-commercial use version.
There is now only one version of AutoTRAX DEX.

Well that's no use to me I'm just a hobbyist. I don't want to make commercial PCB's.

Hi Wilfred
You can use it for non-commercial use.  :-+ But it's not free.  :)
There are loads of 'free' software available. Try Circuit Maker, I'm sure that will help. Great thing it saves your work on Altium Servers. Now that can't be bad :-+
And what's even better, if you do decide to do commercial boards, them Altium will provide you with a quick and easy upgrade path. What's not to like.  :-//
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:54:45 pm by Iliya »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:48 pm »
It is very refreshing for a developer of a different "CAD" program to promote another and directing users to the industry standard package is very decent of you! :-+

I think I can go one further with your holiday plans, download KiCAD, or Circuit Maker, after all, CM has Cloud storage which is much better as you have pointed out, to store your files on, save 39 bucks, hit Cancun and use the mini bar whilst you are there, it's a win win situation, and you, sir, are the one we should thank for these wonderful suggestions!  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »
It is very refreshing for a developer of a different "CAD" program to promote another and directing users to the industry standard package is very decent of you! :-+

Glad to be of help. Didn’t know Circuit Maker is the industry standard package. Good to know. :-+

I think I can go one further with your holiday plans, download KiCAD, or Circuit Maker, after all, CM has Cloud storage which is much better as you have pointed out, to store your files on, save 39 bucks, hit Cancun and use the mini bar whilst you are there, it's a win win situation, and you, sir, are the one we should thank for these wonderful suggestions!  :-+

It appears that you did not understand the Cancun article :o I strongly suggest you read it again and maybe it will sink in. Think Trojans and Greeks bearing gifts.

I notice a lot of people on this forum do not agree with you about the Cloud storage in CM. :( However, I agree with you that it’s absolutely marvellous especially for Altium. :) Where better to store your work for safe keeping?

Some would say KiCAD is a good idea, at least it doesn’t come with a belly full of soldiers. :-+

P.S. Just thought; perhaps Altium could move to Cancun for it's next relocation. At least your work would be safer there than on a server in China. Actually, where is Altium this week?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:23:29 pm by Iliya »

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2015, 01:59:49 pm »
P.S. Just thought; perhaps Altium could move to Cancun for it's next relocation. At least your work would be safer there than on a server in China. Actually, where is Altium this week?

This part is definitely concerning. It is an obvious move to a country to spend less and maximise profits.
Though Australia is definitely a suck hole place for electronic companies unless you spend massive bucks and people are willing to spend massive bucks for a product.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »
No no no my dear friend, Altium Designer is the industry standard not Circuit Maker, silly!

KiCAD certainly appears to be the most actively developed out of the free and non free packages, and no, no soldiers hiding in it's belly as you say!  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2015, 05:05:05 pm »
No no no my dear friend, Altium Designer is the industry standard not Circuit Maker, silly!

I’m so glad you cleared that up. :) I’ll send an email to Mentor Graphics and Cadence notifying them of your findings so they can file for Chapter 11. :wtf:

Just sold the house and bought Altium shares. I’m going to be so rich. :scared: Now I’m definitely going to Cancun 'will ride on the back of my trusty Trojan steed - a.k.a. CM'. Heh, I’ll pop into their new offices when they move there. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:23:42 pm by Iliya »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2015, 05:28:19 pm »
Ah rest assured, just because you are not the industry standard, you do not need to file for bankruptcy, there are still fools that will buy the inferior, bug ridden with no support software, regret it later, but then it's too late, short and curly syndrome.

I am not a stockbroker, so I will have to take your word over the shares initiative.

I'm sure you can find somewhere more luxurious to go, perhaps go on a cruise, see the world!
Might want to give them a bit of breathing space to settle in, perhaps, now, this is not a guarantee, but they might even offer you a job if you talk to them nicely, and mention you just bought a few shares of theirs also, get Dave to put in a good word and you're gold!  :-+

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »
@Iliya
Honestly, instead of repeating the same babble about Cancun, Trojan Horses and how free/unlimited one (watermark crippled) version of your software was (for a few weeks) over and over again, you should really think about what kind of impression this makes on potential customers. Maybe you should think about hiring someone to do your public relations and focus on development instead.
Just try to convince people with a faster, more stable & professional and overall better software instead of arguing with people in forums. This thread will most probably end like your last attempts to persuade people that they are stupid not to use your tool: you'll get furious, delete your posts and/or your account and this whole thing starts again in a few weeks/months with a new version number or name.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »
@Iliya
Honestly, instead of repeating the same babble about Cancun, Trojan Horses and how free/unlimited one (watermark crippled) version of your software was (for a few weeks) over and over again, you should really think about what kind of impression this makes on potential customers. Maybe you should think about hiring someone to do your public relations and focus on development instead.
Just try to convince people with a faster, more stable & professional and overall better software instead of arguing with people in forums. This thread will most probably end like your last attempts to persuade people that they are stupid not to use your tool: you'll get furious, delete your posts and/or your account and this whole thing starts again in a few weeks/months with a new version number or name.

I'm only replying to comments posted in order to correct them. Look back at them. Is this a crime?
Some of them are in response to your erroneous postings.
You don't have to read them or perhaps you do...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:58:50 pm by Iliya »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »
I'm only replying to comments posted in order to correct them. Look back at them. Is this a crime?
It's not a crime to be stubborn and self-opinionated, but it certainly won't help you sell your tool. And you're surely aware that most of the things you "correct" are perfectly valid - it's just that you don't like the uttered opinions or facts.

I actually don't care so much about you or your tool. It's just a bit concerning to watch someone ruining his own efforts due to lack of self-perception and his insistence on being right.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2015, 06:21:58 pm »
I actually don't care so much about you or your tool. It's just a bit concerning to watch someone ruining his own efforts due to lack of self-perception and his insistence on being right.
I agree. It's poor salesmenship not to understand the (potential) customer is king and therefore always right.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf