Author Topic: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software  (Read 179238 times)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software
« Reply #400 on: August 12, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »

Really Dave? Really?! This coming from:
A) An Aussie
B) Someone who makes a living out of calling things "shit".

Yes, because this is an open public forum for the community, it is not my personal channel where I can say anything I want.
And that's right, I call "things" shit, not people. I don't mind people using the word shit on this forum if it's warranted, I do it myself. For obvious reasons though I try and maintain this forum to as high a standard as reasonably possible when it comes to civil discourse, and try to set the rules as such.
This means that words like "shit" are not banned, but we don't want someone using it or worse words in thousands of posts and flooding the forum with such talk.

Actually, it's a forum attached to your personal blog, not alt.general.electronics. So you technically can say whatever you want. But, I obviously know what you mean. ;)

Though, as far as I can tell, calling someone a piece of shit in a single post is very different from flooding the forum.

Also, Ilyia was baiting people into personal attacks. You saw what he did with Vincent. It's not like everyone didn't start with civil discourse.

His modus operandi is sperging out.

He went full retard. You never go full retard. (Pretty sure Iron Man said that.)

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2015, 07:35:44 pm »

Deathwish,

The forum is full of self styled experts on this that and the other. People who without putting forward a tiniest bit of proof of the self ascribed expertise  are happy to piss on those who have put in the hard yards and presented a product with significant level of utility.

Keep well and keep a level head in these troubled chambers.

Yes, because that describes Vincent perfectly. Wait...

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:53 pm »
price dropped to $49 again.

Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #403 on: August 17, 2015, 01:33:44 am »

Could this be his way of apologizing?

I was watching this post trying to figure out what AutoTRAX could do when the blow up occurred.

Could I design a simple 2 layer board and create the files needed to send to have the board made?  I would like to make a LM317 board with a couple of components just for fun.  I cannot even figure out how to download Kicad let alone use it.  Would this program work for me?  Thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:38 am »

Could this be his way of apologizing?

I was watching this post trying to figure out what AutoTRAX could do when the blow up occurred.

Could I design a simple 2 layer board and create the files needed to send to have the board made?  I would like to make a LM317 board with a couple of components just for fun.  I cannot even figure out how to download Kicad let alone use it.  Would this program work for me?  Thanks

Yes, the software is good.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #405 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:06 am »

Yes. It should be trivial and straightforward for the use you need it.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #406 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:21 am »
Has anyone here tried using Autotrax on Wine?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:56 am »
I tried the free version. It doesn't work. It was falling the installation process. If I remember correctly, there is an optimizer that compiles a part of Autotrax when installing.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:39 pm »
Has anyone here tried using Autotrax on Wine?
yes, my traces were all squiqqly and I couldn't see properly, but I had fun doing it. I think.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:32 am »
http://kov.com/

Back to $99 again   :scared:

We need a yo-yo icon

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2015, 05:19:05 am »
EZ too bad you missed out on a bargain!

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2015, 05:59:11 am »
He should start up a mailing list so when he puts it on sale for $49.00 he can inform people. And perhaps have a draw for a free copy selected once a month or whatever to encourage the sign-up for the list.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #412 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:13 am »
I'd take it as $49 saved that can be invested in a tool which doesn't annoy you by completely messing up everything each time you move a component.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Kintekobo

• Regular Contributor
  • Avatar by the fabulous 'Space Coyote'
    • A Load of Old Bollox
« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2015, 01:09:14 pm »
For what it's worth I was trying out this software with a VERY simple Atmel minimum system just to see how easy it was to use, and although it had a few quirks it seemed ok. Until I went from the schematic to the board layout and had the auto-router route the rats-nest. I noticed something strange about the connector and when I went to 3D it was pretty obvious that it had routed one bus right over another. Unless I have done something stupid, which is possible but hard to see what on such a simple board, it would seem that a router that crashes buss lines would be a show-stopper for me.

I went to the website to raise a support issue but there doesn't seem to be a proper support point, more of a request form and no facility for uploading screen caps, so I am going to upload them here. If Iliya is checking this, perhaps he can investigate what went wrong.
You can call me anything you like. Just don't call me late for lunch.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #414 on: August 19, 2015, 01:19:18 pm »
To be entirely fair, I wouldn't judge an EDA package by something as useless as the autorouter, and writing a good autorouter isn't a task I'd expect an average programmer to be up to. I would recommend to Iliya making it capable of importing and exporting something like Specctra format which many external autorouters can use. Nobody's going to use your built-in autorouter because you clearly aren't the sort of computer science wizard that is needed to develop that sort of heavily algorithmic software. That's not an insult, neither am I.

(That said, the autorouter producing overlaps is a complete failure and should be fixed, it shouldn't be capable of that. If it can't route it should just fail the difficult routes and let a human do them.)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #415 on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »
I would suspect there are also some DRC issues on some pin of the ATmega chip..
And I agree with C4757p, the level of complexity of a not so bad* autorouter is really really high, calculation of the best route is something really difficult, especially on PCB design when you have so many limitation. They are mainly the DRC, but also that two different track can't cross, that you must not make a 90° turn on a track (or the electron may fall) etc...

* I didn't say a good one because everyone knows they don't exist ;)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Kintekobo

• Regular Contributor
    • A Load of Old Bollox
« Reply #416 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »
I understand and agree with what you are both saying, but I do think that a fundamental rule of a router would be 'do not crash nets'. I don't do a great deal of circuit construction and have mostly used (don't laugh) Eagle since it was just about the only product available to the hobbyist at the time and I got used to its quirks and the limitations weren't too restrictive for the small boards I made. So in my case it was quite straightforward and easy to spot the cock-up. If however I was producing a very large board with hundreds of connections then an auto-router that joined together two unconnected nets would render it completely un-usable as you would never be able to trust that it hadn't done so somewhere. Physically checking every single link would be more trouble than routing the whole thing by hand as far as I can see.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #417 on: August 19, 2015, 04:36:47 pm »
That's for sure, track that collide like that or *for me* from the pictures you put the tracks on right side of the atmel chip near the middle, there are a few track that seems really close to the pad just on top, not to speak (but that's not a real issue, just a visual one) the track on the right most area that goes to a cap end quite curiously
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Kintekobo

• Regular Contributor
    • A Load of Old Bollox
« Reply #418 on: August 19, 2015, 04:44:17 pm »
Godzil, if I understand you right you are referring to the strange way the tracks wander about? That was one of the most annoying things with the software when drawing the circuit. You go to join two points together both on exactly the same grid line and the track would insist on flipping up and down. Anywhere but on what should be the direct line between the two points. Very odd and quite annoying.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #419 on: August 19, 2015, 04:58:30 pm »
Kintekobo: Yes that about that, the track on your cap is comming from the bottom, but it really wanted to join from the right, that really intriguing :)
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:48 pm »
I've always found autotrackers to be kinda wanky. I have used the one in AutoTRAX but the boards I've been doing are very simple, even so I do pretty them up afterwards.

Offline Kintekobo

• Regular Contributor
    • A Load of Old Bollox
« Reply #421 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:28 pm »
I'm no expert by any means and I have fairly limited experience of the different auto-routers, but what I always tended to do was lay the power and ground lines by hand, followed by the most important net connections and then let the auto-router pick up the rest. This always seemed to work fairly well. However I don't think that I ever had one auto-routed that didn't need a fair bit of tweaking afterwards.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #422 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:54 pm »
I think that the more you use an autorouter on a given board the less you can claim that it is "your" artwork.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2015, 01:15:56 am »
I think that the more you use an autorouter on a given board the less you can claim that it is "your" artwork.

Fair enough, for me it is money related. An autorouter helps speed up the design process, simple.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #424 on: August 20, 2015, 03:40:28 am »
I have seen this thread stray a lot. I think Deathwish should have provided a link to the offending article  saying $49 so that it could be confirmed. No-one actually confirmed the price to $49 before going back to $99 if it did at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf