Author Topic: Forum getting too popular?  (Read 101447 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Forum getting too popular?
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2017, 03:53:59 am »
I know it's a good thing...
But is it just me, or has the volume of posts increased a lot recently?
I now commonly see 3-4 pages of posts when I hit the Unread Posts link, and that's only after like an 8 hour sleep or something.
I couldn't keep up before reading all the posts, and now it's shifted from simply too hard, to impossible!  :o

Dave.

Don't panic, Dave, keep up your opinionated rants on non-EE/political  subjects that annoy people and no one asked you for (your views are not THAT important, sorry), and your view counts (and forum members) will soon take a nose dive. Don't be a victim of your own success~

:palm:

See what I mean?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:19 am »
Spill, don't be smug.

Anfang, I've read enough of your posts to come to the conclusion that you're here just to cause trouble and carry on like a joker. Your posts seem to contain little to no substance at all, I'll use your last post on another thread as a good example:

LOLStralia, dimboid central.

Quite frankly, you come across as childish.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2017, 06:22:25 am »
IMHO Simon and Dave do a pretty good job but it must be remembered that it is not entirely without member input and in some way this makes the forum all of ours and hence it constantly evolves.

Moderation is almost 100% member report based.

My new packing and shipping person will also hopefully be doing moderation.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:14 am »
Anfang, I've read enough of your posts to come to the conclusion that you're here just to cause trouble and carry on like a joker. Your posts seem to contain little to no substance at all

Anfang is another sock-puppet account of SwitchedmodePSU, GlossyWhite, RolandPenPlotter etc etc
A completely sad wanker who has been and continues to create a new account every time he's banned. Been doing it since 2011  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: casinada

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2017, 06:31:58 am »
IMHO Simon and Dave do a pretty good job but it must be remembered that it is not entirely without member input and in some way this makes the forum all of ours and hence it constantly evolves.

Moderation is almost 100% member report based.

My new packing and shipping person will also hopefully be doing moderation.
I see you've given gnif Administrator status, permanent ?
Wasn't he a Mod too a short while ago ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2017, 06:38:02 am »
Anfang, I've read enough of your posts to come to the conclusion that you're here just to cause trouble and carry on like a joker. Your posts seem to contain little to no substance at all

Anfang is another sock-puppet account of SwitchedmodePSU, GlossyWhite, RolandPenPlotter etc etc
A completely sad wanker who has been and continues to create a new account every time he's banned. Been doing it since 2011  :palm:

My guess is that he is a bored teenager at home with nothing better to do? Oh well, I'm sure he's hit the 'ignore' list of many people on here including myself. It's great that you can filter out posts of people in your ignore list. Helps with the SNR.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:51 am »

Just temp to fix some issues.
He usually has mod status but does not moderate.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:51 am »

Just temp to fix some issues.
He usually has mod status but does not moderate.
Understood.
His forum profile name was blue like Simons a short while ago, will that return ?
IMO it's good to see some Moderator presence.....often.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2017, 06:52:00 am »
To keep OT I've noticed lately "Most online today" is consistently over 2k whereas late last year 1600-1800 was the norm.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2017, 07:42:27 am »
Sorry if I'm overwhelming the place .. I just joined a couple of days ago. :p

I've watched (some of) Dave's videos for years, but I found the forum only because I searched for places that people were discussing the HiFive1 RISC-V Arduino clone I just got.

I don't know much about electronics, I'm just that dangerous programmer with a soldering iron. As a teenager in the late 70s I used a 555 and a relay on some veroboard to add a variable delay to the windscreen wiper on dad's Kingswood wagon. More recently I've built a few Arduino shields using Jonathan Oxer's excellent protoshields (wish I could get them here in Moscow!). Nothing fancy. One example is a smart thermostat using a thermistor to measure temperature and bit-banging a $2 433 MHz chinese module to control a 2400W oil heater on the other side of the room. Used that for three winters in Wellington before I moved countries. Minimal electronics, but a fair bit of programming a couple of nested PID controllers to model/control the heater and room time constants.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 08:15:00 am »
For me the forums have the most value, when i am able to ask a question on some obscure topic and others might be able to provide some insight to it.   

The trick of course is that you have to contribute back as much ( or preferably more )..

And the other trick is being able to decipher what is useful and what shoudl be on kickstarter.

It may be worth splitting some of the more popular categories

That brings up the question of how people actually use the forum.
Personally, I don't browse categories, I just hit the "Show unread posts" link and pick a subject that interests me based on the title.

Dave.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2017, 01:37:11 am »

Well as they say: "See ya! Wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Thanks to Dave and Geoff for banning him by IP. I dare say we haven't seen the last of him as he's the kind of sad individual who would probably go to the trouble of getting his IP changed by his ISP (I get the feeling he has been banned from many forums, not just this one).

But anyway, chip away at his ego, these types of people carry on as if they don't care, but deep down you crush their spirit just that little bit more each time. :-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:43:39 am by Halcyon »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2017, 04:19:51 am »

Well as they say: "See ya! Wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Thanks to Dave and Geoff for banning him by IP. I dare say we haven't seen the last of him as he's the kind of sad individual who would probably go to the trouble of getting his IP changed by his ISP (I get the feeling he has been banned from many forums, not just this one).

But anyway, chip away at his ego, these types of people carry on as if they don't care, but deep down you crush their spirit just that little bit more each time. :-)

Why not come right out and openly attack him personally? As long as Dave starts first you should be alright. He's been banned what more could you want?

Dave's response is sufficient.  And then some. Persons less charitable than myself might consider "completely sad wanker" a personal attack. I just think it is an unnecessary Parthian shot

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:08 am »
Why not come right out and openly attack him personally? As long as Dave starts first you should be alright. He's been banned what more could you want?

Dave's response is sufficient.  And then some. Persons less charitable than myself might consider "completely sad wanker" a personal attack. I just think it is an unnecessary Parthian shot

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say? If you're being sarcastic, it's not translating well on this end.

But just to clarify: You obviously didn't read some of his replies to me (and others) in various threads have you? The one in this thread was removed. I think I was fairly diplomatic. I could have gone on a swearing rampage or kept replying to his crap, but I chose not to. I'm not that kind of person.

If Dave wants to refer to him as that, then more power to him. I actually agree but I wouldn't type something that I wouldn't say to someones face. My personal view is that Anfang was nothing but a pest and a deliberate disruption to this forum. You're welcome to form your own opinion of course.

If I upset you in some way, well... not much I can do there. I'd say sorry but I'm not sure what I'd be apologising for? Perhaps we just agree to disagree on this one.

Edit: Actually, didn't you have a go at me over something I posted somewhere else? I don't recall. It could have been someone else. *shrug*

Another Edit: Found it and it was you. I won't repeat it because I really don't care that much and it's not something that needs to be repeated. For some reason you've formed a negative opinion about me and that's fine. Perhaps just keep it to yourself?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:37:25 am by Halcyon »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2017, 04:39:59 am »

Why do you feel the persistent need to respond to every single thread and post that involves me or my personal opinion or something I've said?
You do it every single time without fail, why? I've asked you to stop before, it gets very tiresome and annoying.
It parallels what the persistent stalkers like Anfang et.al do by creating new accounts and coming back and back and back again after being banned.

Anfang is't a one-off, he's been continuing to create accounts to troll on this forum for the last 5 years, sometimes having multiple accounts at once, a serial trolling pest. What I called him is being rather polite.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2017, 04:41:42 am »
Wilfred, with all due respect, I think we're from two different worlds/generations/whatever. We probably won't see eye-to-eye on here and I'm fine with that. I am who I am, you are who you are. All I can say is that I don't pretend to be someone I'm not when I'm behind a keyboard. I'm merely here to learn and contribute what I know with the occasional humour or banter. I'm sure the same can be said about you.

I just ask in future, if you don't like what I say, just consider "do I really need to post this?" before hitting that button. If you want me to hear your opinion, that's what PMs are for. I won't block you or ignore you (and you'll probably even get a response). If it's one-on-one, not everyone needs to read it. You don't need to prove a point to the rest of the members.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:44:59 am by Halcyon »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2017, 05:16:00 am »

Why do you feel the persistent need to respond to every single thread and post that involves me or my personal opinion or something I've said?
You do it every single time without fail, why? I've asked you to stop before, it gets very tiresome and annoying.
It parallels what the persistent stalkers like Anfang et.al do by creating new accounts and coming back and back and back again after being banned.

Anfang is't a one-off, he's been continuing to create accounts to troll on this forum for the last 5 years, sometimes having multiple accounts at once, a serial trolling pest. What I called him is being rather polite.

Responding here is going to seem ironic.  However, here goes, since you raise the matter with me.

If you set a rule on the forum "No personal attacks" then I am just calling you out even though I didn't when you first said it. And I wasn't even really doing it here. Now if you call someone who is already banned and gone a "completely sad wanker" that is a personal attack. He's gone why bother?

I was taking another forum member to task about it. Hopefully politely. Because the objection I have is that you are highly influential and there are people who seeing what you do will take that as some form of approval that sort of behaviour is acceptable.

If you set a rule then you are bound to obey it more rigorously than all other forum members so that you lead by example.

Just where exactly do you want to draw the line? What is an acceptable personal attack. Is "completely sad wanker" an example?

A recent response of your to a post of mine in another thread shifted you below the level of esteem that I consider it worthwhile holding up a mirror and forcing you to look at the reflection. Which is why I didn't take you to task about it at the time. If you're now telling me the behaviour you exhibit when I call you out is what you're content with then you will enjoy being surrounded by fanboys who are willing to enable you to carry on.

Personally I can't stand enablers. The emperor has no clothes.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2017, 05:45:37 am »
Wilfred, if I may interject. Must you take the "no personal attacks" so literally? Just like real life, most things are grey.

If I was to continually taunt or bully you just because I didn't like you, with little to no justification, I'd probably be called to task, banned, whatever the case may be. Cool, no dramas.

However, just like real life, not everyone is equal. Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone is entitled to free speech etc... but not everyone is equal. You may disagree with me but let's go right out of the ballpark for a moment: Do you consider yourself equal to a rapist? A murderer? Someone who is completely out of their mind? A child sex offender?
I don't think any normal person would. To me, that sort of logic works on a smaller scale too, we don't have to be as extreme as the examples I just mentioned.

Now take someone like Anfang who has carried on like a dipshit for many years and I make no apologies for referring to him as such. Like everyone else, he has been warned, banned etc... but he still carries on like an annoying mosquito flying around your head when you're trying to sleep.

Sometimes, people deserve to be called wankers... sometimes much worse.

You're obviously educated and you know the difference between right and wrong. Must you be so rigid in your thinking?

If I can use another analogy: If road rules were enforced just as rigidly, we'd all be done for speeding 3KM/hr over the legal limit, or not indicating long enough, or not having a clean engine bay. Yes, the law is the law, but it's the spirit of the law that matters most. This is why Police officers have discretion, because things aren't always black and white.

Even if you disagree with everything I've just said, at the end of the day, this is an internet forum and Dave runs it the way he sees fit. If he wants to contradict his own rules, then so be it. If he wants to pick and choose who gets banned and who doesn't, so be it. It's his to do what he wants to. He is only representing himself and his business. I don't always agree with some of his decisions or opinions, but I take it as it is. Ultimately, I'm here because I want to be, not because anyone's forcing me to.

Maybe this is life experience talking mixed with a bit of opinion; I'm a very patient person and I believe in giving most people the benefit of the doubt in many situations. But sometimes... people are just dickheads.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
A recent response of your to a post of mine in another thread shifted you below the level of esteem that I consider it worthwhile holding up a mirror and forcing you to look at the reflection. Which is why I didn't take you to task about it at the time. If you're now telling me the behaviour you exhibit when I call you out is what you're content with then you will enjoy being surrounded by fanboys who are willing to enable you to carry on.
Personally I can't stand enablers. The emperor has no clothes.

This will be the last time I ever engage with you on this.
I'm all for people calling me out or taking me to task on what I say, that is fine.
But you keep doing it relentlessly, time and time again, dozens and dozens of times, you seem obsessed with doing it, almost to the point of stalking.
When people continually do this crap on the Youtube comments or twitter it gets tiring and I eventually just block them (one of the few reasons I block people for)
I have asked you stop this before and IIRC you appologised and recognised the frequency with which you do this and said you wouldn't do it again. But you still keep doing it. I'm sick of it, and as far as I'm concerned you have lost your right to "call me out" or take me to task in the future. I will not be subjected to relentless harassment from the same person.
I'm done. Don't do it again.

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »
Waaaaaaay back on the first page of this thread, someone made a passing comment about there being too many newbies asking dumb questions [causing a bit of a surge].  Sure, there's a linear increase in "newbie-dumb-questions" but what I find to be creating a greater surge would be the "experts" then going at it tooth & nail over their answers to the said "newbie".    Newbie asks one question about 5.6R  vs 5R6 nomenclature, experts weigh in with 100 replies which descends in to a race to the first to call the other a nazi.
Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
if people want to waste their time answering very simple questions repeatedly who cares ?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2017, 01:09:07 pm »
Newbie asks one question about 5.6R  vs 5R6 nomenclature, experts weigh in with 100 replies which descends in to a race to the first to call the other a nazi.

That's how nerds forums work!
Everything but the Nazi calling part is encouraged here.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »
Newbie asks one question about 5.6R  vs 5R6 nomenclature, experts weigh in with 100 replies which descends in to a race to the first to call the other a nazi.

That's how nerds forums work!
Everything but the Nazi calling part is encouraged here.

Agreed.  Was dispelling the notion that newbies were at "fault" for the impressive post gains  :-+

Congratulations though none-the-less on the accelerated popularity of the forum, not that it wasn't before.

If considering adding more subsections, I did ponder about the "Repair" area, unsure if it was meant to be exclusively for equipment/vintage repairs (based on observation),  or inclusive of things like modern laptop/PC repairs too; that said, have posted in there to no ill-effect, so I'll consider it safe.
Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

Offline DTJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »

It may be worth splitting some of the more popular categories - on which subject maybe a test & measurement section might be worth adding, as there isn't currently really a section for test topics other than reviews.
Perhaps also FPGA/CPLDs, maybe more to stimulate discussion than move the minimal existing traffic on the subject.

Getting OT....

I think adding a mechanical / machining / CNC category would be very popular too.

The following users thanked this post: kony

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2017, 03:52:14 pm »
Well I have always advocated splitting the MCU section into different sections so that it's easier to browse topics that relate to the MCU you are using. For example, AVR freaks is one nasty place to post (Ive never had a question answered, instead they just try to fid put more about my project and pic holes in that), but comming on here you don't know if there are many AVR users.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf