Author Topic: Forum getting too popular?  (Read 101408 times)

Offline gnif

• Administrator
Re: Forum getting too popular?
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2017, 04:18:35 am »
I love how you think our fish and chips are the best... Ill say I like chips, one of my favorite foods, but after I started making them myself from scratch (none of this frozen McCains rubbish), I have never once bought hot chips from anywhere since, I can't stand them. What we get from takeaways is absolute junk, prerolled in flour partially cooked and then frozen to have a final cook by the shop.

My EEVBlog DMM gets a good run each time I cook some chips as I use the thermal probe to monitor the temperature. The goal with chips is to drive the water out of the potato, water will not exceed 100C at room temp, and the oil wont get much hotter either until the water has been driven mostly off. Once it hits 120-130C they are pretty much done, take them and drain them, apply some salt to taste and you have your perfect chip. If you are like me or my wife and you like them real crunchy, wait a little longer till the temperature hits ~140C.

@djos - I am sorry but its simply true, and when I traveled to Europe a few years back I had store bought chips on a few occasions and found they are identical to what we have here, pre-cut pre-cooked chips rolled in flour then deep fried. The only difference was in what they considered tomato sauce.

Define what you mean by "Europe" - it's a collective, not one country. Current members:

I am fully aware what Europe is, I traveled around and visited many countries, to name a few England, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France. And yes, I do know that England is no longer part of the collective.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2017, 04:28:28 am »
I love how you think our fish and chips are the best... Ill say I like chips, one of my favorite foods, but after I started making them myself from scratch (none of this frozen McCains rubbish), I have never once bought hot chips from anywhere since, I can't stand them. What we get from takeaways is absolute junk, prerolled in flour partially cooked and then frozen to have a final cook by the shop.

My EEVBlog DMM gets a good run each time I cook some chips as I use the thermal probe to monitor the temperature. The goal with chips is to drive the water out of the potato, water will not exceed 100C at room temp, and the oil wont get much hotter either until the water has been driven mostly off. Once it hits 120-130C they are pretty much done, take them and drain them, apply some salt to taste and you have your perfect chip. If you are like me or my wife and you like them real crunchy, wait a little longer till the temperature hits ~140C.

@djos - I am sorry but its simply true, and when I traveled to Europe a few years back I had store bought chips on a few occasions and found they are identical to what we have here, pre-cut pre-cooked chips rolled in flour then deep fried. The only difference was in what they considered tomato sauce.

Define what you mean by "Europe" - it's a collective, not one country. Current members:

I am fully aware what Europe is, I traveled around and visited many countries, to name a few England, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France. And yes, I do know that England is no longer part of the collective.

So where in Europe were these chips bought? You can't just say "Europe" - that's not a place.  :palm:

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2017, 05:53:50 am »

Like most things there's some variance but I've always been fortunate that there's always been at least 1 Fish & Chip shop near my residence that makes decent chips - the oil used makes a pretty big difference imo. It also makes a big difference if the shop keeps chips and fish etc to separate fryers.

As for chips rolled in Flour, I've never come across these, what state do you live in?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2017, 07:46:17 am »
Am I the only one that finds this whole fish and chips thing absolutely hilarious?

Nope, but Aussie fish and chips are still better. :D

I can beleive it, I have not had a take away here that does not turn my stomach. Like I said if someone makes it for you to order it can be very nice but local chippies will use the cheapest fish they can get and don;t give a care how well it's made because here takeway food is sold on the basis of how much you get for how little and most people love a pint of oil in their meal.

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:55 am »
And yes, I do know that England is no longer part of the collective.

To my knowledge England hasn't sailed away to another continent so it is still belongs in Europe. 

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2017, 09:56:44 am »
We still have not left either we are still talking about it.

Sent from my phone so mind the autocorrect.

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2017, 10:00:02 am »
We still have not left either we are still talking about it.

Sent from my phone so mind the autocorrect.

No, you are talking about leaving EU, that's not the same thing as leaving Europe, which you can't.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:45 pm »
true, geograhically we are going nowhere,

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »
I do know that England is no longer part of the collective.
???
Firstly I think you will find England is part of the United Kingdom so best grouped with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  You will also find that geographically we remain in Europe, in fact we are on the same tectonic plate as the mainland of Europe, the English Channel being a mere puddle between us (although very historically useful for keeping people out).
Secondly, we are yet to extricate ourselves from the clutches of the "European Union", we haven't even started the Article 50 legal proceedings yet... but that time will hopefully come soon.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2017, 01:24:17 pm »
true, geograhically we are going nowhere,

Despite the best efforts of Graeme Garden.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2017, 04:22:23 pm »
Thread title change request: "Fish and chips getting too popular in Oz"

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »
I know it's a good thing...
But is it just me, or has the volume of posts increased a lot recently?
I now commonly see 3-4 pages of posts when I hit the Unread Posts link, and that's only after like an 8 hour sleep or something.
I couldn't keep up before reading all the posts, and now it's shifted from simply too hard, to impossible!  :o

Dave.

Crank up that ad revenue money! I'm helping by increasing the number of worthless posts.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

The following users thanked this post: avrishuvorlaz

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2017, 08:16:37 pm »
not quite how it works.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »
not quite how it works.

I think he knew that ;)

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2017, 07:33:34 am »

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2017, 08:32:50 am »
So where in Europe were these chips bought? You can't just say "Europe" - that's not a place.  :palm:

So what is your problem with using it as a geographical generalization to direct people to the rough area of the world? Its the same as saying that Australia has the best chips, but it is a huge area, what state? what city? what suburb?, it is a generalization. One shop to the next can be wildly different in what is produced, doesn't matter how far or close they are to one another.

And to answer your question, if you had read my post, I stated on various occasions I bought them, and mentioned some of countries as a general idea of where I visited.... put two and two together and you would realize that I listed the countries where I bought chips.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2017, 04:03:07 am »

So what is your problem with using it as a geographical generalization to direct people to the rough area of the world? Its the same as saying that Australia has the best chips, but it is a huge area, what state? what city? what suburb?, it is a generalization. One shop to the next can be wildly different in what is produced, doesn't matter how far or close they are to one another.

And to answer your question, if you had read my post, I stated on various occasions I bought them, and mentioned some of countries as a general idea of where I visited.... put two and two together and you would realize that I listed the countries where I bought chips.

I think, if you agree, this whole childish nonsense about fish, chips and Europe can be safely discarded and forgotten, whaddaYaSay 'ole bean? It's all meaningless poppycock. Agreed? :) I can see that you are quite pedantic, as am I, on occasion, often to my detriment. Let's forget it all, it's a load of piffle.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:05:09 am by avrishuvorlaz »

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2017, 07:49:59 am »
you forgot to throw an "old bean" in there, too much monty python watching going on here or there :)

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:35 am »
you forgot to throw an "old bean" in there, too much monty python watching going on here or there :)

Some people use normal words like these - they're nothing unusual. We don't all adopt a gruff, blunt, lifeless manner with no articulation or animation of speech, it's a perfectly normal manner of speaking; how sheltered a life you must have lead if you assume that the only people who say "old bean" and "piffle" are parodies on old BBC comedy shows - many of my relatives speak in this way - no ALL the time, but it's certainly not said as self-parody, it's having breadth of vocabulary and not caring a hoot what "Da rest of da wurld" thinks about things you've always done.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:08 am »
...too much monty python watching going on here or there :)

Wash your mouth out! There's no such thing as too much Monty Python.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2017, 03:01:15 am »
...too much monty python watching going on here or there :)

Wash your mouth out! There's no such thing as too much Monty Python.
\

There's a few hilarious skits, but I'd say there most certainly IS such a thing - it can get ultra tedious VERY fast indeed. Fawlty towers on the other hand... not QUITE so bad, but I find the "far too intellectual and pleased with oneself" in-jokes and super-super obscure, abstract nonsense to drain SO much of my mental energy when all I want is a SIMPLE LAUGH, I end up getting irritated and turning them off.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:30 am »
I must admit I don't mind them but yes they do get a bit tedious. Fawlty Towers was quite good.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2017, 05:48:04 am »
Another quarterly update, especially with the recent big events such as :

- Forum server upgrade with bigger RAM and miscellaneous forum fixes by gnif
- Coincidentally there is a thread Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players that posted at Hackaday which generated thousand of guest views recently.

Brief summary (last data yesterday at 4th April 2017) :
  • Looks like starting at Feb this year, there is a significant increase in new forum members, not sure if its spammer account like in the past.  :-//
  • Online members also starting to grow from Feb, and there is a spike recently, although not as big as in the past events.
  • Page view is hitting a new record.  :clap:

Other interpretations is yours.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, fpliuzzi, Kean, cgroen, djos

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:21 am »
  • Looks like starting at Feb this year, there is a significant increase in new forum members, not sure if its spammer account like in the past.  :-//

I'll have to investigate that, smells fishy.
Hackaday has bugger all effect these days.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2017, 03:53:07 pm »

I'll have to investigate that, smells fishy.
Hackaday has bugger all effect these days.

Maybe a simple result of scopemonth promotion and chatter starting its wind up in February. give-aways always attracts the lumpen masses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf