Author Topic: for all Dev board addicts -TI Sub-1 GHz RF Spectrum Analyzer Tool for $25  (Read 28584 times)

Offline shamanjoe

• Contributor
As of today, 8/29/13 9:09PST the code no longer works. I tried to order it, and it says that you may no longer use this coupon. :(

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Received!
It looks like it has been sent from Texas to Netherlands and then repacked in Netherlands and sent to my home.
So no custom feeds nor taxes :)

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Mine turned up this morning. Very impressive shipping.

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
Just arrived this morning: very slow compared to a SA, but nonetheless very useful to check key fobs and other devices...

It was shipped*, as for all items from TI shop, from Utrecht (Netherlands), so we have no hassles about customs duties!

*) I live in Italy.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
If you want something standalone:
http://ossmann.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/16-pocket-spectrum-analyzer.html

As for the $12 RTLSDR I got, it didn't take very long to get the rtlizer software to compile on my PC (just edit one line of the build script) and it works quite well. Now I just need to get an adapter to hook it up to a modified X10 video receiver (removed the RF modulator and added a tap from the few hundred MHz IF signal) in order to look at the 2.4GHz spectrum...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Just bought a couple of IM-ME units to play with. I am no hacker so will need to read how to flash the firmware. Looks like a fun little project. My units are new and cost me GBP14 each, but I suspect prices may rise as the repurposing of the unit as a simple SA becomes better known
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:34:08 am by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: for all Dev board addicts -TI Sub-1 GHz RF Spectrum Analyzer Tool for $25
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:08 am »
My SA430 arrived this morning from the Netherlands via DHL. Great service to the UK and no taxes to pay :-+

The SA430 is a very neat little 'plug & play' ISM band spectrum monitor and it was a great offer from Ti. Interestingly my SA430 was made in Germany.

Very pleased with this new 'toy'   :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 09:35:47 am »
Interestingly my SA430 was made in Germany.
Do you mean printed on the board ?  :o

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
Interestingly my SA430 was made in Germany.
Do you mean printed on the board ?  :o
Never mind, just freshly arrived, its printed on the box.

I thought its like other TI's products such as those cheap evaluation boards that I have that are mostly made in China.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 10:59:01 am »
I also own a couple of RF Explorers that can be connected to a PC. It will be interesting to compare them to the Ti unit. I still think the RF Explorer is a very nice design and good value for money. Hard to beat.

from a performance point of view both are easy to beat. From price point of view, TI is really good value for money (only at the reduced price of course. That org. price is a bad joke). Sure, one can take what so ever RF CC chip from TI, their free available UI and firmware sources, change a bit to match the CC chip and compile them - ready - for less than 10USD. But then you need enclosure, antenna, have to calculate the time necessary to click twice on "build" button, so yeah, ready solution for 25USD is ok.

RF Explorer is complettly different thing, sure it does works, but it is overpriced is same manner as e.g. Saleae LA. You can develop (much more) better hardware for less money. There is huge room for improvement. I think the developer know this (shit, and if not, well, then he should design bongos and not RF gears), but on the other side he need to collect money/get more popular/grow, so let say for now it's ok.

If you want something standalone:
http://ossmann.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/16-pocket-spectrum-analyzer.html

that part is useless, "technology" with performance not worth 5USD.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
Just opened it, well, not very sure when if its priced at $250, but at $25 with free shipping, let alone about the functionalities, the 1st thing that impressed me when I opened it up is the SMA connector, it looks sturdy & good quality one to me.

I don't have any experience on this matter, does this SMA connector is good one or just mediocre quality ?

Few shots freshly made attached below.  ;)

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:33 am »
I just got mine literally like 15 minutes ago. Regarding Duane import taxes: I don't think they will charge it, the post courier didn't ask (only "please sign here"). Hopefully I don't get any additional e-mail. However, I only payed 25$ for a product, which is I believe less than the limit is set here in The Netherlands.
I think I may also spotted shipment from NL though. So maybe they have shipped one big packet of stuff over to NL, and distributed it from here. I think this is the way my Stellaris Launchpads also got shipped.

Plugged it in, downloaded software, was plug&play. And it works!

Apparently 433MHz band is really busy around here.
Moreover, when searching for weak signals I could find some. I know some radio base stations in my region that are ~5km away (1W output) and I could only just find them (couple of dBm higher than noise floor, at -110dBm): 444.4MHz. In this case, the SA is situated underneath an open window.

However, last saturday I had a little play with a Rigol spectrum analyser. Things I notice: the accuracy of frequencies on this device is better (Rigol could be off by say ~200kHz at 868MHz, could be uncalibrated unit or something, where as this says 868.000MHz)
The sweep isn't that fast, and when you accidently scan 1kHz increments across 10MHz you have to wait for it to finish before it listens to any new command.
The noise floor seems reasonably good. I had trouble picking up this 444.4MHz station at work, which is located <1km away. Only at very slow sleep rates & BW's (like 1kHz) the noise floor drops below -85dBm and makes it visible.

Never the less, seems to work quite well for just 25$ shipped (or 20 euro's).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:16:24 pm by hans »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 12:55:04 pm »
Tinhead,

Whilst I respect your opinion I find it more than a little 'narrow minded'.

I am a practicing RF Tech so RF is 'my thing'. I fully appreciate that all such low priced devices are a compromise solution but then not everybody needs a top of the line, or even bottom of the line Commercial spectrum analyser. It is that part of the market that these devices serve.

I use Advantest Spectrum Analysers for serious work but it is VERY useful to have a simple handheld spectrum monitor to see when a transmitter is radiating or whether there are close interfering signals present in the spectrum. I wouldn't want to lug my R3261 or R3132A's around.

Horses for courses is the line that should be taken here.

As to the RF Explorer being over priced....I find that a truly irritating comment. Have you read the background to the units development ?   The designer wanted to see if there were interfering signals around the 433MHz ISM band and so did as you say, he built a simple spectrum monitor using easily available commercial parts. Great interest was shown in the design and Ariel decided he would develop the design to meet other peoples needs. He did not need to bother doing that and this device is unlikely to make him a fortune any time soon. The design has been developed through several iterations and the end product is still simple and affordable for most hobbyists dealing with RF transmitters and receivers. Having dealt directly with Ariel and witnessed his generosity I am naturally protective of him and his product.

Where can an equivalent item be purchased in the same price bracket ?
Who will build such a unit for me from scratch for the retail price of the Explorer?
Who will offer free assistance and development on going at no extra cost ?
Are you willing to build a better product and sell it at no, or little profit to strangers ?
Are you an RF tech who has actually ever built such a unit ? If so please detail and show.

This message may look like a bit of a Rant, but Tinhead, your message appears both dismissive and very unkind towards another persons hard work and IMHO excellent product for the money.

Take a look at the marketplace....you will see plenty of portable spectrum monitors/analysers, but I very much doubt they sell in the range $99 to $269, with the option for gradual expansion at reasonable cost.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=RF+explorer&x=13&y=11

I have had to pay more for just a software package that drives an analyser !

It drives me slightly crazy when people state that a units BoM is only X Dollars yet the retail price is Y Dollars and complain about it. Sorry people, welcome to the real world. If you can make it yourself and invest the time in development whilst still coming out ahead on total cost....do it and stop complaining. There are many very simple items in life that cost a lot of money as you are paying for someone's idea, time and the market value to the public. That does not necessarily make it any form of rip-off. Some would say that is an opportunity to undercut the seller and make some easy money.

Tinhead you have shown yourself to be a VERY clever chap with modifications to firmware, please consider how your comments could be read though. On this occasion you came across as pretty arrogant and unkind. I know you are normally better than that.

I very much look forward to seeing the highly advanced and capable spectrum analysers coming to market that Tinhead infers can be made for next to nothing !  I will be one of the first to buy one....until then ,I will stick with my two $54,000 Advantest SA's (do you honestly think they cost that to build ?) and my lowly, dishevelled and apparently overpriced RF Explorer :-DD 

As for the IM-Me....you have to have a sense of humour....it's a PINK girls toy that has been hacked into a BOYS toy   :).....come on you have to admit that the work the guys did to simply change it to the most simple of SA's has some merit. As for building such a unit from scratch for $5....you obviously live in a very different financial world to me.....you get nothing for $5 in the UK.

I am no equipment snob....I use the right tool for the situation at hand.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:06:18 pm by Aurora »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »
BravoV,

That SMA connector is excellent quality when compared to the far cheaper and common types that are soldered to the PCB using small square pins. The screw clamp mount provides excellent physical resilience as required for test connectors that may have leverage applied to it during their life. Production cost using that connector is higher than a simple solder mount type. But then Ti are asking rather a lot for the unit normally so I would expect top quality components and manufacture. If it actually is made in Germany and not China, it may go some way to explaining the high RRP. Sometimes 'made' really means 'PCB assembled into a case'.

So yes, decent microwave connector, well mounted.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:04:40 pm by Aurora »

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »
Where can an equivalent item be purchased in the same price bracket ?

there are some dev boards available which can be used for an DIY SA, all you need is the knowledge how to use them (how to plug some cables and click on the button "run" of the provided monitor app). E.g. SI4362 based, check that board, mouser 634-4362-PRXB434-EK . Add BPF to that, second sourced when you don't want to think too much. There are as well lot of good (and available for few bucks) Mixer/PLLs. You can get complette boards for 100USD, when that too much then download e.g. LTC5510 dev board design files and modify for your needs. Today you can easily cover 0.01-4GHz range for 200-250USD (and that can be sale price for 100units or one-off price when you buy only boards and use manufacturer tools).

As much i support people with their own startups/nice project ideas, as much i hate when ppl trying to make their products "magic".  Note: I don't know Ariel and don't want to make him bad or so, this is just general statement.

Who will build such a unit for me from scratch for the retail price of the Explorer?

everybody can, but not everybody need it or will spend time on that. The others will get shocked every day by "this is magic" statements.
There is no serious market for such items, because if there would be one then you can be sure internet would be full of them.
There is huge market, but these few "manufacturers" are trying to hold price as high as possible and as long as possible.
Choose one or more from above.

Who will offer free assistance and development on going at no extra cost ?

internet and manufacturers app notes.

Are you willing to build a better product and sell it at no, or little profit to strangers ?

so that's it, no big profit no business? No, it is not like that (at least for me). Not for technical products that don't need any innovation. Honestly 2yrs ago i was thinking about toy SA, but never got green light from share holders. Guess why.

Are you an RF tech who has actually ever built such a unit ? If so please detail and show.

what do you want to check? my penis size?  I was doing ham radio for 6yrs, then i moved to other country and focused on other important things (lot of kids, womans and work). Did i ever build anything RF related? Oh yes, i did^^. When you wish copy of my personal Genesys license, sure, you can get it. That didn't makes me "all wise RF gure", far from that, but don't forget one thing, we not talking about serious equipment but more or less toys based on ICs desigend for other thigns (than an SA). For sure they will do the work, within specs of course (as long the design stick to app notes). Some will be even better than all these crap chinese Hameg clones. And exactly here is the point - most ppl didn't even know how easy is (today) to build such "equipment" and how hard is to build a real piece of hardware.

I will stick with my two $54,000 Advantest SA's (do you honestly think they cost that to build ?) and my lowly, dishevelled
and apparently overpriced RF Explorer
so what are you trying to tell me here? That a cheap ass RF Explorer is as good as $27,000 Advantest SA ?
For sure is R3261A not the best unit ever, today worth maybe 1500USD, maybe bit more with options. But it is still good piece of SA.

Or do you trying now to be fanboy? Really, when you claims to

>> I am a practicing RF Tech so RF is 'my thing'

then you should know the difference between toy SA and professional equipment.
So what's your point? Or you simply trying to support Ariel too much, being too much "naturally protective of him and his product".
I'm not sure if he would like that, one could think you assiociated with RF Explorer and trying to do "self advertisement".

On the other side that reminds me on how i was "fighting" to protect Tekway DSOs, not being assiociated or fanboy/buyer "affected". I did it simply because i liked them. So for sure i can understand your rant :)

Having dealt directly with Ariel and witnessed his generosity I am naturally protective of him and his product.
your message appears both dismissive and very unkind towards another persons hard work and IMHO excellent product for the money.
you misunderstood something, his hard work, i support that. All i said is "it can be done better". But i'm sure he is aware of that.
As long my company had provided enough revenue i did supported some interessting projects/startups, however not RF Explorer as i discovered it too late.

Take a look at the marketplace....
i know, every shit that claims to be SA costs lot of money. We don't have to look too long, check that topic thing from TI, how the hell can they try to charge 250USD for that thing? Their own dev board cost 50USD, and they even published sources for very similar UI and firmware. So why the hell someone have to pay extra 200USD to get nice antenna, lol, and the "compile button click" work done. Hard to understand, really. But it is SA, "magic", huu huu. Check that marketing video, crazy.

It drives me slightly crazy when people state that a units BoM is only X Dollars yet the retail price is Y Dollars and complain about it. Sorry people, welcome to the real world.
oh well, after years of acceptable/good business my company fucked up within 6 months and i'm the "luck guy" who can pay the price. So yes, i know how to make calculations (haha, my wife will probably say "no, you don't". She is MBA, i'm not).

On this occasion you came across as pretty arrogant and unkind. I know you are normally better than that.
of course i'm arrogant, i simply hate when a 1:1 copy of dev board from X or Y will be sold as "magic" to ppl with no clue. And i hate even more when fanboys claims over the inet how great something is. Sure, because it has been designed by someone who know what to do (the X/Y board manufacturer), but that didn't means that the product based on that board are still good  :rant:

As for the IM-Me....you have to have a sense of humour....it's a PINK girls toy that has been hacked into a BOYS toy   

i like pink, the color as well :)

'narrow minded'

rude, arrogant, narrow minded - yeah, that's me. I wasn't always like that, but everyday business(shit) can move mountains, and for sure burn out/change people.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2013, 05:23:14 pm »
Tinhead,

Thanks for the reply  :)

Some fair generic comments with which I agree.

With regard to the RF Explorer, I am no 'fanboy', just pleased that a normal everyday guy managed to produce a useful product for the simple needs of users such as Radio Control modellers and ISM band experimenters. From what I can tell, Ariel was asked to develop the unit by those who wanted to buy it. I bought two as they cost peanuts and delivered the convenience of quick visualisation of the frequencies of interest. Its a quick and dirty tool but has its uses. I can build hardware but I am no coder, so the complete cased and supported product was a positive. I am aware of the difference between the likes of the RF Explorer and a 'real' spectrum analyser  :)

I totally respect you abilities and your capability to build such a unit quickly and cheaply, I and many others do not have the software skills. Making such a unit is very do-able as you say, but would the time invested in such be worth it ? In my case, likely no, as I tend to do a Rolls Royce job on my builds so $300 of time would soon be consumed  :scared:

Regarding your Genitalia, no interest there. I mentioned being an RF Tech as I meet many IT people who are great at coding and think RF circuits are pretty dumb and simple to execute. Those who understand RF know different, as I am sure you understand. My comment was not intended to be nasty....just probing ;)

Back on the topic of this thread, the Ti product is a cheap 'plug and play' 'toy' that will be useful to some ISM experimenters who can't afford a real SA. The ISM modules are so cheap these days that it can be a pain to need a multi $K SA for a $2 RF part  :o  Manufacturers can recoup the outlay through profits, hobbyists not so easily.

US$25 inc p&p for the simplicity of procurement, and ease of set up doesn't sound that bad to me. $250 for it .....nah, I wouldn't be able to recommend it. From a purely commercial standpoint.....in time terms the Ti $25 unit cost me 6.5 consultancy fee minutes ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:41:36 pm by Aurora »

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »
Regarding your Genitalia, no interest there.

:)

There is a project for an SDR running at the moment where the developer ...

let me guess, removed?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:54:42 pm by tinhead »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »
Yes, but I just removed the comment as it seemed mean  :-[

The chap is working hard on his pet project and I don't want to appear harsh.

Good 'talking' with you.

Kind Regards

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:46:57 pm by Aurora »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »
Regarding Tinheads question about my interests and incolvement in RF Explorer product...

I have purchased two RF Explorers, two expansion boards and two RF limiters from Seeedstudio.

I wrote to Ariel to ask for non public RF Explorer schematics and information on the RF Limiter. As a result a formal NDA exists between myself and Ariel, but I have no other involvement with Ariel, the RF Explorer, any associated activities or interests. I receive nothing for any comments that I make on the RF Explorer. I recently showed an interest in modifying the RF Limiter and Ariel kindly sent me a complete RF Limiter kit free of charge for my experimentation. Hence my comment on Ariel's generosity. Such kits are not currently available to the public.

Hope that makes my situation and my impartiality clear  :)

I think I stated all this previously but no harm in repeating it. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:54:24 pm by Aurora »

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
As for the IM-Me....you have to have a sense of humour....it's a PINK girls toy that has been hacked into a BOYS toy   :).....come on you have to admit that the work the guys did to simply change it to the most simple of SA's has some merit. As for building such a unit from scratch for $5....you obviously live in a very different financial world to me.....you get nothing for $5 in the UK.
To be fair, my friend Alayna Phillips regularly uses spectrum analyzers, though she'll want a whole lot more than just a few ISM bands even for a portable unit.

And don't discredit the color pink. There was a story of some company painting all their tools pink and the tool loss rate dropped sharply. The cost is looking a little less professional, but the clients generally don't care. And in HVAC, an excuse for using pink paint/tape/whatever is "that's the stuff we use for R410a".
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »
OT

I have no problems with the colour pink..... I once read an excellent article on one US State chain gang policy....they all had to wear Pink .....great giants of prisoners dressed in girly pink  :-DD

The Americans had two great ideas there.....fixing the roads using prisoners and making them feel awkward by being all in pink....it is supposed to be a punishment after all ! Any escapees would certainly get noticed !

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:28:22 pm by Aurora »

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47:37 pm »
I got mine today also.

Nice , and easy to use

Just made a scan of my 433Mhz & 866 bands

The 866 is quiet around me.

/Bingo

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »
Whilst we're on the subject of pink, has anyone else had the joy of working on a military product where every one of the thousand interconnect wires is pink?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:30 am »
Yes  ;)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:47 am »
BravoV,

That SMA connector is excellent quality when compared to the far cheaper and common types that are soldered to the PCB using small square pins. The screw clamp mount provides excellent physical resilience as required for test connectors that may have leverage applied to it during their life. Production cost using that connector is higher than a simple solder mount type. But then Ti are asking rather a lot for the unit normally so I would expect top quality components and manufacture. If it actually is made in Germany and not China, it may go some way to explaining the high RRP. Sometimes 'made' really means 'PCB assembled into a case'.

So yes, decent microwave connector, well mounted.

Thanks, cause after seeing that, my gut feeling says it must be better than those installed at cheap wifi boards.

Btw, about the antenna, although it looks & feels like those detachable wifi antenna, is it the same thing ? I mean can I replace it with bigger one from the wifi router/access point ? Have few gathering dust somewhere under the pile of junk stuffs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:05:53 am by BravoV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf