Author Topic: Fitness tech shoutout!  (Read 423 times)

Coordonnée_chromatique and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fitness tech shoutout!
« on: Yesterday at 07:18:44 pm »
Do you use any fitness technology when you exercise?
Share the product you use and how it worked for you.

It can be anything, hardware like smart watches, fitness trackers, bike computers, power meter pedals, Peloton bikes, electronic resistive weights, treadmills, rowers.

Or it can be software like caloric monitoring apps, sports timer . media player apps, even Strava or Zwift.

Let us know what has worked for you, the good and the flops.  What you would like to be better.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:24:29 pm by BrianHG »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Fitness tech shoutout!
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:31:26 pm »
I'm still looking for a swim distance meter which doesn't rely on turning around violently and assuming you swam an entire lap between turns.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:54:48 pm »
I'm still looking for a swim distance meter which doesn't rely on turning around violently and assuming you swam an entire lap between turns.
Thank you.  I didn't even know that such a thing existed.
I guess GPS signals cannot be received through a bit of water.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:58:33 pm »
Thank you.  I didn't even know that such a thing existed.
That is the point: it doesn't exist  ;D And GPS isn't really helping when swimming indoor.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:13:22 pm »
I use one or more of the following with various attachments: Case DX40 Compact tractor, Komatsu MRX30 mini-excavator, New Holland L170 skid steer, Echo 20" chain saw, Echo pruner, Echo bush/shrub trimmer, Echo line trimmer and flexible power rake, and my most used is a Grasshopper 25 HP 60" mower.  I don't have time for anything else.  My weight is the same as when I graduated college, but it's redistributed in places.

The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:29:44 pm »

No.

But the question indicates a mid-life crisis brewing...

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:22:47 pm »
I use the Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar and it has been excellent. Supports a wide variety of sports and recreation. Battery life is well over a week (depending on how long you spend outside).

Offline paul@yahrprobert.com

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:41:20 pm »
I use a Garmin Instinct (one of their cheaper ones) watch for when I'm running:
1) The thing picks up the heart rate from my wrist by shining some green led's into the skin
     a) After you start using it, it takes a couple minutes before the heart rate doesn't look like I'm dying from tachycardia.
     b) The heart rate doesn't work when swimming
2) You can supposedly pair the watch with an app on a smartphone, but I don't use apps, so I download the .fit files to my linux computer and load them into the connect.garmin.com website and that gives me a pretty good summary of my workout with a nice map of where I went if outside.

The user interface, where you have 5 buttons to control an extremely complicated piece of software, it difficult.  Probably using the app would help with this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:02:24 am »

No.

But the question indicates a mid-life crisis brewing...
No, I've developed my own fitness tech over the past decade.
I was just awarded 2 patents regarding syncing workout music with exercise hardware.
I'll be seeking VC funding this fall.
I'm curious what kind of experiences some of us techies have had with the toys in this sector.
(You could say my mid life crisis happened 10 years ago.  Now I'm trying to cash-out on my discovery.)
« Last Edit: Today at 12:07:09 am by BrianHG »

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:48:25 am »
My friend says that vodka helps him lose weight. And he really has become thin and wrinkled.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:32:39 am »
My friend says that vodka helps him lose weight. And he really has become thin and wrinkled.
Not really any technology involved here, right?
Maybe that's why he became all wrinkled...

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:38:27 am »
...Not really any technology involved here, right? ...
He says that he drinks vodka using a special technology, which includes a large amount of vodka and dilution with beer.

He recently successfully passed the liver and head vessel test with an excellent result. From the outside I see that he drinks a lot in 1 day (5 bottles of vodka of 0.5 liters), then he reduces the amount for 2 days, and from 2 weeks to 2 months he is completely sober. But I can clarify the technology with him, if it is interesting.

I would also like to clarify that he has a well-functioning gag reflex, which he does not suppress. Therefore, not all the vodka enters the body. That is, he does not interfere with the brain in regulating the amount. The use of an antiemetic drug would presumably be fatal.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:41:46 am by Postal2 »

Online deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:00:54 am »
Apple watch 7 for heart rate tracking while doing cardio, good for staying in zone 2. I used to use a Polar Verity Sense optical arm band, but the Apple watch is more accurate and since it's always on you and charged (since you have to every day lol).
For an optical sensor they get awfully close to an ECG strap, "the quantified scientist" does a lot of reviews on YouTube for fitness trackers. There's bugger all improvement year on year so you can often pick up a used watch 2 or 3 models older at an excellent price, even the higher end material options lose a lot in value on the used market.

I didn't think I'd like a smartwatch so much but it has become essential tech now, if it were to let out the magic smoke I'd immediately order a replacement.

I got a Precor treadmill for basically free but the controller was dead, so I shoved an Omron VFD in there and it works beautifully. I might have lost a phase in the motor but it still works, for now... :-DD

I have a Keiser M3 spin bike as well, but the computer is only good for a basic timer and showing the resistance and power level, it doesn't have that video game like feature where you can pretend to ride or time attack with your mates haha.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf