Author Topic: Filtering China from eBay buying searches  (Read 8031 times)

Offline mswhin63Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Filtering China from eBay buying searches
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »
Hi All,

Frustrating is trying to filter out Chinese products :-- from eBay searches. Mostly on AU site does anyone have an idea how to do this?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:25:07 pm by mswhin63 »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: Filtering China from eBay searches
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »
It is so easy: set up your own ebay that sells just non-Chinese products.

Problem solved.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Filtering China from eBay searches
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »
I mean' t to purchase non Chinese products. I want to search different test equipment but nearly 50% of the searches are wasted electronic components that have nothing to do with my search.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Filtering China from eBay buying searches
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »
On the US version of Ebay, there is a filter for "Item Location".  Is there not such a feature in your version of Ebay?

It is impossible for us to suggest how you might improve your searches since you provided no examples of search terms you are using.

Remember also that just because you are buying something from elsewhere doesn't mean it wasn't made in China.  Even if it doesn't say "made in China".

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:35:56 pm »
We have this filter, although I still prefer to receive emails for other countries. The filtering in Aussie site only offer "eBay Australia (default)", "Australia" only or "Worldwide". I think I can manually filter the few that maybe a bit misleading. Just trying to reduce the number of searches.

The worst part is those that put Agilent or another quality brand in their description. I spent a lot of hours reporting them but that is all just a waste of time.

I am general searching just in case something attract my attention. Looking for decent second hand equipment or even stuff that needs repairs.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »
yes, but many sellers partner with someone local to distribute, then the item is located in UK for example even though your buying from a chinese seller.

Ebay really should just have some mechanism for people to report  sellers touting properly worthless products because the ratings system just doesn't work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »
There is a way to report them, tried that, very time consuming. Generally anyone that is place a brand name in the description can be reported. I did a search on Agilent and came up with multimeter leads from China worth $2.00  ???. There are so many other categories for reporting I am sure there are some for these sites.

For the moment I just want to isolate some site from my search. I am here on my computer looking at various way. Nothing as yet.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »
I can see the reason for telling sellers they can't use brand names (or model numbers, etc.) in their titles unless that is actually what they are selling.

OTOH, if you are looking for something "like" a particular brand/model, I find it frequently helpful to see what alternates may be available. Of course, there are unscrupulous and/or simply ignorant sellers who throw completely ridiculous names/words/terms into their titles or descriptions, but Caveat Emptor. 

Shopping Ebay is not terribly unlike walking through the typical open marketplace in very many places in the 3rd world where you are bombarded with sales pitches everywhere you turn (quite literally).  As long as you keep your wits about you and don't gamble too much money, you can find good bargains.

Blanket exclusion of Chinese parts or products seems rather Xenophobic. And becoming rapidly impossible as they take over more and more markets by virtue of their lower manufacturing costs.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »
Hi All,

Frustrating is trying to filter out Chinese products :-- from eBay searches. Mostly on AU site does anyone have an idea how to do this?
Sort the price from low to high and skip the first few pages. Do check the pages from the Chinese sellers though. A lot of stuff is resold for 3 times as much by local sellers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »
Ebay really should just have some mechanism for people to report  sellers touting properly worthless products

Who determines which product is "worthless" and which isn't?

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »
I just happened to have sent the bay a email a few weeks back resembling about the Op's drama , I was really getting flooded by all sorts of weird stuff coming back in a search result , for example when searched PL259 RF connector and in the results had plastic toys with no PL or 259 in the words , its still going on but I must admit it has backed off a bit .

The response from the bay was something like , we apologize and we will look into it , what I asked was "who's been playing with the search algorithm" as it had started all of a sudden .
Soon

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »
Ebay really should just have some mechanism for people to report  sellers touting properly worthless products

Who determines which product is "worthless" and which isn't?

anyone that finds them

take those rattling AA batteries i bought the other week, if they had turned out to be say 1500mah when they were labelled 2300mah they would be poor quality but not worthless. As it turned out they were 200mah so are worthless. The seller either doesn't care to check or is knowingly selling crap and that is the sort of seller who really should not be on ebay.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »
if they had turned out to be say 1500mah when they were labelled 2300mah they would be poor quality but not worthless.

I would be willing to say that there are plenty of people who would disagree with that assessment.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:20:11 pm »
That example, hopefully, has highlighted to you the downside of using some "subjective" assessment in policing a public venue (aka a market).

What's worthless to you may be treasures to me; and what's worthy to you could be garbage for me.

That's the very essence of ebay - an online market place where you monetize your worthless stuff to people who treasure them (an online "yardsale").

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »
That is more a negative feedback issue. Then it is the responsibility of the next buyer  to assess the seller and product based on -ve feedback.

Getting a bit off topic though.

I have given up trying to isolate the China, this would need eBay to add a filtering method. I tried -China (Boolean) but is doesn't assess the country of sale.

My next attempt is to log onto each countries eBay and filter for that country only. Should a substantial less searches but will end up with multiple searches which can be set automatically.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 11:26:33 pm »
Yes agreed, that is an eBay sellers point of view, but as a customer, my opinion has already been formed and I wish to limit my searches. Other may want the same thing and other may not. It is only an option that should be implemented. Seller can restrict who they can deliver too, why not restrict where to buy from.

That example, hopefully, has highlighted to you the downside of using some "subjective" assessment in policing a public venue (aka a market).

What's worthless to you may be treasures to me; and what's worthy to you could be garbage for me.

That's the very essence of ebay - an online market place where you monetize your worthless stuff to people who treasure them (an online "yardsale").
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:32:38 pm by mswhin63 »

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:31:25 pm »
I use the USA only, North Anerica Only, or sometimes 1500 mile filter sometimes.

But I don't do it to avoid China make junk, I just do it to find someone selling the same made in China  junk but is closer so I don't have to wait on that proverbial slow boat to get it.   

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:52 am »
that is an eBay sellers point of view,

It is my point of view. and I sell exactly nothing on ebay (or anywhere for that matter), :)

why not restrict where to buy from.

You sure are entitled to the right to restrict your own ability to buy from a particular vendor / country / whatever you so desire. and if sufficient buyers have such a need, I am sure ebay would offer such a filter.

Until then, you are out of luck, I am afraid.

Offline sca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:21:27 am »
Ebay irritation of the week.

Search for Hewlett Packard, and ebay helpfully also searches HP, returning everything with a horsepower rating.

sca

ps. use of quotation marks sorts it, but still....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:33:28 am »
Ebay irritation of the week.

Search for Hewlett Packard, and ebay helpfully also searches HP, returning everything with a horsepower rating.

sca

ps. use of quotation marks sorts it, but still....

Exactly, although I was able to limit the search a bit more buy including title and description and using the search term (hewlett packard) instead of hp. dropped by few thousand but still left with a few thousand.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 12:55:55 am »
Remember that you can make EXCLUSIONS like

HP "Hewlett Packard" -horse -horsepower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 01:13:03 am »
No bad, placed in a search

hp -horse -compressor -plc -cutler -pump -motor -allen -phase -drive -elettronica -petrol -powerflex -generator -inverter -china -horse -compressor -motor -allen -phase -drive -elettronica -petrol -powerflex -generator -inverter

got it down to 233 listing worldwide. Not sure if I am missing out of something worthy.

I suppose there is a way, I actually sent an email to eBay so wait for a response and will post it.

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 05:35:53 am »
As it turned out they were 200mah so are worthless. The seller either doesn't care to check or is knowingly selling crap and that is the sort of seller who really should not be on ebay.
So have you demanded your money back from the seller?
If he said no, did you commence a paypal claim?
If they said no, have you done a chargeback through your credit card provider?

Seriously, I buy crap from China all the time. I know it's poor quality, but when I get obviously fraudulent products (like a "rechargable solar torch" with CR2016 cells and no wires to the solar panel), I complain and I get every cent back (almost always voluntarily from the vendor) - and without returning the item.

The only time I had to actually commence a paypal claim was when a LOCAL seller sold me a faulty HDD.
And I got my money back on that, without needing to return the item.

Ebay really does side with the buyer, whether this is a good thing or not depends on your perspective.
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 12:39:21 pm »
Filtering does not always work. In Australia, some vendors say they are selling from Australia (local), but it is fraudulent. They say due to Chinese New Year, shipment will take a few weeks longer. The point is, even "local" vendors can be very dodgy, like one here named Kogan. It is a strong case of buyer beware, no matter where you get goods from.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf