Author Topic: Farnell/Element14 losing even more plot  (Read 39533 times)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: Farnell/Element14 losing even more plot
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:49 pm »
When I was a kid, it was quite easy to deal with bullies: you take them to the back alley and beat the shit out of them and they would never bother you anymore. Because of that, I don't ever recall we had a bully or a bully problem, at least not as pervasive as it is today.

In my case I punched the fella right in the mouth...

Unfortunately, in a hypersensitive society that we are in today, that kind of solutions are no long available to the kids today - you are more likely to be charged with an assault.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:48 pm »
when a piece of your soul is taken away by bullying.

If one's soul is taken away by a bully, there are far bigger problems for that person and the society to worry about.

We are producing softer and softer kids today (girly men?).

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 01:32:19 pm »
when a piece of your soul is taken away by bullying.

If one's soul is taken away by a bully, there are far bigger problems for that person and the society to worry about.

We are producing softer and softer kids today (girly men?).

you have no idea what you're talking about if you think we're producing softer kids today.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01:06 pm »
Tbh i don't quite understand why people are carrying on like element14 has the worst site out there. The website itself (the store part, not the 'community' rubbish) is excellent imo. Where it falls down is that some of the data entry is sloppy and parameters often lack standardised formatting so you end up with lists of parameters that don't order properly and components that fall under several categories so you have to search all of them. If people keep telling them "the website is bad" they will probably redesign their site and make things worse. The website is fine, the data is bad.

Digikey's site is worse but the data entry of the products is generally tidier.

As for all the e14 social media stuff, "pissing money up the wall like a dysfunctional government agency" probably sums up how i see their attempts to be more than just an online shopfront. I often get the impression that they spend the money on something like in the OP, everyone pats each other on the back to justify their existence and no one really cares if it was effective or not.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:07:11 pm by TMM »

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »
GAH :box:
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »
Tbh i don't quite understand why people are carrying on like element14 has the worst site out there. The website itself (the store part, not the 'community' rubbish) is excellent imo. Where it falls down is that some of the data entry is sloppy and parameters often lack standardised formatting so you end up with lists of parameters that don't order properly and components that fall under several categories so you have to search all of them. If people keep telling them "the website is bad" they will probably redesign their site and make things worse. The website is fine, the data is bad.
The problem is they don't listen.
Yes, the data is bad, and the website, while generally OK could be make a lot better without a lot of effort, but instead of that they're pissing all their effort into useless social media and pointeless surveys.

Digikey's site is worse but the data entry of the products is generally tidier.
Give be better data over a prettier website every time.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »
I use digikey a lot and find their website generally useful / helpful.

As for all the e14 social media stuff,

I don't know what the pay-off is for e14 in something like that; and I don't understand why a 3rd party forum-goer here would be so worked up about their investment in something like that.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
The problem is they don't listen.
And probably never will. The people who can fix it probably don't get paid enough to care.

I don't know what the pay-off is for e14 in something like that; and I don't understand why a 3rd party forum-goer here would be so worked up about their investment in something like that.
Hah, frankly i couldn't care less what they do with their money. Their loss not mine :)

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »
Every electronics site should mandatory have the original manufacturers partnr in their original form in their search criteria. That would help a lot.

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »
4) bullying stops the instant you make it stop.  In my case I punched the fella right in the mouth, while pretending to be scared.  me being scared fanned his fire, and i took the opportunity to lay his ass to the ground with a surprise left-hook.  one person after that guy picked on me, 2 years later, and I did the same thing.  after that no one ever picked on me again.  I was in Jr. High in the first case, freshman in HS the second.

No one can make you feel bad about yourself without your consent.  So, while you're away from those turds, work on your self-confidence.  That you're on this forum is a very good indicator of intelligence, and despite a few people on here having foul moods from time to time, myself included, we're all relatively intelligent.  So you're already way ahead of the average, right there.

Be careful with this. I would even strongly suggest ignoring this advice. If you end up against a group and throw a punch they are going to beat the living shit out of you. Sometimes flying under the radar is the better option.

Bullies Abusers rely on the victim remaining silent.  Do NOT remain silent, and DO stand up to them.  It is unlikely that anyone else will stand up for you, so you MUST do it yourself.

It is far easier to heal from a physical beating than it is to recover when a piece of your soul is taken away by bullying.

And, yes.  The chronic bullies do come from abusive homes, and, yes, abuse is FAR more prevalent than you think.

I did one time on the second last day of school. :P

Probably to late though. :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:54:42 pm by TVman »
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Every electronics site should mandatory have the original manufacturers partnr in their original form in their search criteria. That would help a lot.

I think Digikey does.  I know they capture that data.  The answer here is to simply not use distributors who don't behave in a way you find acceptable.  If they ever ask you why, tell them why.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 03:22:21 pm »
...Yet people still buy from them and they make a return for shareholders.

If you want sucky search - try RS.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »
and I don't understand why a 3rd party forum-goer here would be so worked up about their investment in something like that.
Because if they spent the money on improving their website, it would mean I'd spend less of my time specifying and ordering parts, simple as that.

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
So, you have a great opportunity to advance yourself mentally while you're hanging out at home learning stuff no one else knows.  I actually envy your situation a bit.  If you return to public school at the same place or with the same kids, just know going in that you're going to throw a punch on the first day.  Accept it, and do your best to knock the kid who decides you're a target onto his back with a single punch.  No one will mess with you, and maybe even a few girls will pay more attention to you.

Again, I suggest against such actions. It will bring a series of negative repercussions that you don't want or need.

</De-railment>

I learn the same thing maybe more when I Home school.

And there is A big community of home-schoolers in my area. ;D
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:04 am »
Now RS are at it as well  :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2014, 09:54:52 am »
Wow  :palm:

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:26 am »
I don't much buy from Farnell and it's little to do with cost..............it's the UI.
Even RS Components site is better.

Ian.
Huh? RS has always been terrible, at least for parametric search, certainly worse than Farnell. Maybe there are areas where they are better but can't say I've ever noticed it.

I like the initial category criteria/spec building interface down the left hand side of RS's website. It has that explorer feel to it that I like. But I suppose I then prefer Farnell's horizontal filter select once you get that far. Be nice to have both I suppose.

Digikey is great, just wish it also had the left side interface also.

Maybe I'm wierd...... ;)

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »
Now RS are at it as well  :palm:

And the youtube hurray comments show the sad state of mankind  :(
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2014, 04:28:29 pm »
I'm guessing they've concluded it's a way to reach new audience. Maybe they're right? For me what would be more useful is reasonable international shipping.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2014, 05:29:51 pm »
WTF? please guys, stop pissing money on this garbage and online survey companies and just improve your website.

OMG that is the most cringeworthy thing I have ever seen on the internet. I honestly felt queasy trying to work out how pathetic it was and actually doubting my sanity thinking there was something I am missing, but nope. This shit needs to go viral. Anyone involved has to lose their shitty non-jobs. Sigh!  :palm:

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »
OMG that is the most cringeworthy thing I have ever seen on the internet. I honestly felt queasy trying to work out how pathetic it was and actually doubting my sanity thinking there was something I am missing, but nope. This shit needs to go viral. Anyone involved has to lose their shitty non-jobs. Sigh!

TBH I'm speechless, not to mention more than a little pissed-off.

If this is how RS views the "typical electronics hobbyist" then I despair.

I've just sent this via their website feedback form (for what it's worth, probably not much).

I have just watched your "time to tinker" video on YouTube. I can honestly say that I'm stunned - mostly stunned with rage that is. Is this how you view your hobbyist customers?

I can honestly say this video has eliminated ANY desire I might have had to do business with you. It won't be much of a loss to me - I usually buy stuff from Farnell anyway but I doubt I'll even follow the search links wich lead to the RS website any longer.

100% fail.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »
So this is what RS thinks engineers and hobbyists look like?

I get the feeling that they if they were making a video selling kitchen appliances then it would have "the little lady" in an evening gown working hard at making a dinner party. Or perhaps if it were a comedy, there would be "a jolly black chappie from the West Indies" possibly sweeping the streets. Welcome to 1960s stereotypes guys.

I criticise AdaFruit for being hipsters, but having a high profile young female with bright pink hair is probably more representative of electronics now than a bloke with a 1970s moustache and greasy hair wearing a grey cardigan in his shed.

RS - you are really doing yourselves and our profession no good at all.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2014, 09:50:58 pm »
a bloke with a 1970s moustache and greasy hair wearing a grey cardigan in his shed.

Maybe they are targeting hams?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »
 :wtf: please sent those marketeers to Siberia in their underwear

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »
I'm betting it was done by a third party studio. Anyone want to guess how much it cost RS? My guess would be at least $25K minimum.
Imagine what practical or other useful marketing stuff they could have done with the same money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf