Author Topic: Elon Musk spaceship ready for Mars in 2019  (Read 8404 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Elon Musk spaceship ready for Mars in 2019
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:34 am »
There are no baby steps in space. Living on the Moon is probably a lot harder than on Mars, despite the fact it's a lot closer. The environment is quite a lot different, I'm not sure that it will be a good analog for Mars. A self-supporting colony will need to be highly tuned to local materials. The main purpose of a base for several decades will be in situ research of how/where to live on that body. For that time the base will need to be supplied from Earth.

I have the feeling that the Moon has "been done", the public quickly bored of the Apollo program and it ended prematurely. Mars can get people interested again I think. But hey, if you are not spending my money, put bases wherever you like  ;)

It will be interesting to see what happens when it proves impossible to create a self sustaining colony, the bases run out of money/interest and they are closed down, and we realise we are stuck on this rock.
People consistently misunderstand how harsh the environment of the Moon is, though I suspect Dave is very much aware of it. It's easier to go to the Moon, but much harder to live there. No atmosphere and razor sharp dust is murder for all the equipment and humans to boot.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
Basically, those who settle there can’t come back.

I would love to chose the people!

I can't see a one-way trip as viable at this stage -- perhaps decades later when/if permanent settlements are operating, but for the near term no way.  If someone gets injured beyond a certain level or develops a disease that can't be dealt with on Mars they will need to be able to come home.  This isn't like explorers of old setting sail for the new world and being able to, relatively easily, set up farms and hunt food with air and water readily available.  Populating Mars will take a long time and it will happen, if it happens at all, in phases.  Short term exploration first, small permanent settlements later, then, decades later, larger settlements with families. 

But, orbiting Mars would be preferable to circling Uranus!

Brian

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:45 am »
There are no baby steps in space. Living on the Moon is probably a lot harder than on Mars, despite the fact it's a lot closer. The environment is quite a lot different, I'm not sure that it will be a good analog for Mars.

But the life support requirements are the same
- Run out of oxygen, you die
- Run out of food, you die
- Run out of water, you die
- Run out of power, you die
- Airlock or something else fails on the hab, you die.

Could a modern day space program 'survive' the loss of life if things went bad? Back in the 60's/70's the answer was yes. I highly doubt if that is the case now.

Therefore the level of risk that can be taken is much lower now. Based on the ^^^, and other risks, it is hard to see how Mars could be made super safe.

It is for this reason that I think we need to send a couple vanguard rockets with supplies first so that if something goes wrong there is redundancy.  OTH, if you asked people to volunteer for this mission and explained the risks I'm convinced there would be 100X as many people with the requisite skills than needed so finding people willing and capable is not likely to be a problem.

Is the chance that someone/everyone that goes dies higher than Apollo -- why yes it is!

Brian

Yep, finding people who would go is not the issue - the issue is: could the company who does it survive the fallout of a disaster early in the program, or would they be crucified for sending people to a slow and painful death?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:49 am »
I can't see a one-way trip as viable at this stage -- perhaps decades later when/if permanent settlements are operating, but for the near term no way.  If someone gets injured beyond a certain level or develops a disease that can't be dealt with on Mars they will need to be able to come home.  This isn't like explorers of old setting sail for the new world and being able to, relatively easily, set up farms and hunt food with air and water readily available.  Populating Mars will take a long time and it will happen, if it happens at all, in phases.  Short term exploration first, small permanent settlements later, then, decades later, larger settlements with families. 

Brian
I don't think the smaller settlements are very viable on Mars. Go big or (don't) go home seems the way to go.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:06 am »
People consistently misunderstand how harsh the environment of the Moon is, though I suspect Dave is very much aware of it. It's easier to go to the Moon, but much harder to live there. No atmosphere and razor sharp dust is murder for all the equipment and humans to boot.

And Mars isn't?
When you are arguing over bad conditions and badder conditions, it's kinda moot.
Try and survive in a 6 month mars dust storm and the moon might start to look like paradise.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 09:50:46 am »
One of the problems faced by a Moon base is very low night temperatures, which last for two weeks at a stretch.  Getting equipment to stay working through the lunar night has been a serious challenge for Apollo, Lunokhod, etc. At least, Mars has a more normal rate of rotation so doesn't suffer this problem.
Yes, but Mars has those complete sun-blocking dust-storms which can cover half the planet lasting months making solar power useless.  An it still wont bet that warm...

Do you have a pointer to data suggesting the dust storms last months? 

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms

Electrostatic cling would suck.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 09:59:31 am »
The moon is ~ 245,000 miles from earth and a ship traveling at 25-30,000 mph, which is doable with our current technology, could get there in less than a day if there is a ship ready to go on earth in the instance that a pickup is needed for medical emergencies. Having medical personelle on the moon would be wise as well, if we are to establish a base with people living there for extended times.

This is a killer benefit of the moon over mars.
Let's get real, no one but crazy people will want to go to mars, it'll ultimately be an impossible sell for tourism which is what will ultimately pay the bills.
The moon is completely doable for tourism.
You could go for a one or two week trip if you had the money, with very good odds of survival compared to an agonizingly boring mars trip and it's hazardous re-entry. The day or two's travel would fly by as you watched the Earth recede and the moon come up. The stay on the moon would be a dream come true for almost any human, looking up and seeing the earth and putting your thumb over it.
Those who went to the moon would rave about it, people would be spending their life's saving to go and lining up in droves.
But what average Joe is going to rave about a batshit boring 3 year round trip to Mars and staring at red dust for 6 months and your nothing but your crewmates for 18 months?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:02:58 am by EEVblog »

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 10:50:04 am »
Mars gravity is roughly 1/3rd compared to Earth, and the moon 1/6th. In a spacecraft you could have fake gravity through rotation (centrifugal force), not an easy problem to solve on the surface however.

If you believe in Darwin it would take at least 50k years for humanity to adapt physically to cope with changes to gravity, and that entails people actually dying for the sake of evolution (as opposed to artificial support scenario).

In the meantime you would have to train like astronauts do on the international space station to keep the back and bones in shape, which seems to be hard, and still only good for a year or so before permanent damage sets in.

I guess for short trips this wouldn't be an issue, as Dave suggested about tourist trips to the moon, but for long or permanent stay.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:53:21 am by modrobert »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:37 am »
I guess for short trips this wouldn't be an issue, as Dave suggested about tourist trips to the moon, but for long or permanent stay.

And BTW, don't get me wrong. I'm a huge advocate for becoming a multi-planet species.
I'm just commenting on the practical viability on getting people to leave the earth in the near future, and paying for it. The only place people are going to want to go in the numbers needed to make money and keep the whole dog and pony show going, is the moon.
Musk and Space-X can be filthy rich and get some people to mars, but sooner or later the company will go public and then the bean counters will take over.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 01:36:49 pm »
Cue: "The Adventures of Pluto Nash"

There's still 69 years for that to make it on time.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »
Since it seems we are going to Mars fairly soon, and it's good to consider impossible things, here's a speculative piece I originally wrote back in 2001. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Where the Martian Water Went    TerraHertz    Originally written 20011211

An article in the Sydney Morning Herald, 11/12/01, page 3, titled: 'Hope for the world-weary: Mars travel by 2016'. (sic)
One quote from the article:
"We know [Mars] had a body of water that basically covered the whole northern hemisphere of the planet." Mr Lavery said.
"We want to know where that water went, to understand if there are any parallels between that and the ancient history of Mars."

This prompted me to give the matter some thought, and resulted in this little essay. My appologies to geologists, and especially to those who study the geology of Mars. I expect this is a stupid idea, just the sort of dumb-arsed thing a retired electronics engineer (me) would be expected to say about rocks. Only an idle moment's speculation, not meant to be a serious suggestion.

I wondered:
Does Mars still have a liquid magma core, or has it cooled enough for all (or significant portions) of its interior to solidify?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Mars is thought to be a tectonicly dead planet, ie there is no longer any plate movement going on. Presumably, this means the crust is at least much thicker than Earths, or there is no active molten core left at all. Something about Mars lacking sufficient radioactives to maintain core heating?

This is significant to the 'whither the water' question, because if the planet has predominantly solidified, rather than remaining a thin solid crust on a liquid core like Earth, then it is obvious where the water has gone.

Consider what happens when glass is 'tempered', ie cooled rapidly from a near molten state. The outside goes solid, then the zone of solidification progresses inward. As each volume of glass solidifies, it contracts. The surfae has no problem contracting - it has space on one
side and can pull away from that. But the inside volumes are now surrounded by a rigid glass shell. They cannot contract - without creating cavities that is. And in glass tempering there are insufficient cavitation nucleation sites, and the process is too fast for cavities to form in the highly viscous glass.

So in hardened glass, the inside volume is in 'material tension' (of quite large magnitude) and the glass surface is under a resulting longitudinal compression, also of very great magnitude. Strong enough to resist considerable point impact loading. But if the surface compression does give way, and a crack is produced in the surface, the instant it propogates through to the interior zone of tension, the whole body of tempered glass is doomed. The crack branches and propogates through all of the glass, supplying the 'cavities' the glass needs to relieve its internal stress. The glass explodes into a shower of small pieces, each one with insufficient remaining internal stress to produce further internal fracturing. You see this as Safety Glass shatters into small pieces, and even more dramatically in a 'Prince Rupert's Drop.'

Now, a planet in its 'Earthlike' ie mostly molten state, is like a body of glass. If cooling and solidification progresses inwards from the surface, especially with smaller, low gravity planets, at some point the solid crustal layer may become sufficiently thick to resist all further 'wrinkling' effects that allow the crust to contract to match the shrinking volume of the internal mass as it cools.

Anyone who has poured molten metal into molds will be familiar with this effect. The metal shrinks as it cools, and so the still molten central volume of metal pulls an open cavity down at the center of the pouring inlet channel. You have to keep pouring in more molten metal to fill this, or you will have a casting with an internal void. The amount you have to add can be surprising.

With a cooling and solidifying planet there will be plenty of opportunities for internal cavities to open, to relieve the accumulating stresses. No shortage of either time, or sources of cavitation. There will be gasses, able to form 'bubbles' within the volume tension areas below the rigid crust. There will be local stress zones and fractures in the crust, able to propogate down into the more-tensioned deeper areas.

Keeping in mind, that at the depths below the surface that these effects will be occuring 'tension' is a relative term, and more likely to mean 'locally reduced pressure'. Areas into which mobile substances, such as gasses and liquids from nearby regions still under greater compressive forces, could migrate.

Now, supposing that a pathway developed between some body of surface water, and a deep zone of relative 'tension'. In this case, 'tension' would mean any pressure less than the natural pressure of water at that depth, given a head of water reaching to the surface. Inevitably, the surface water would infiltrate the deep zone, expanding it until the residual tension in surrounding rocks equalled the available head of water.

Also note that the temperature to which the deep zone of rock would have to 'cool' before water could infiltrate, would still be quite high, given that the boiling point of water rises with the pressure. And here we are talking about hundreds, even thousands of kilometers of depth, not just hundreds of meters.

How much volume would be required, to make up for the thermal shrinkage of the core of a planet the size of Mars, assuming some depth of hardened crust that might be structurally stable against further contraction under its own weight? (Remember gravity is only 1/3 of Earth's, but the rocks will be of similar strength to Earth rocks.)
We should allow for some 'mobile' fluid that could infiltrate at least some of the cavities forming below the rigid crust, at least in early stages of the 'separation' of the rigid crust from the still shrinking core. This fluid would provide some support for the overhead 'arch' of stony crust, and reduce the mechanical strength that would be required of the crust, to resist simple collapse into a rubble pile.

That thought suggests yet another possibility - that the solid crust has at least partially converted into a 'rubble pile', and in that form is able to shrink to match the contraction of the core. But this implies that there would still be vast volumes of space beneath the surface, just distributed as a massive network of small cavities and fractures between the 'rubble'.
Again, this might well have more than enough volume to have swallowed the Martian oceans.
Possibly a great deal of the atmosphere also, depending on the ability of the subsurface materials to sustain cavities filled only with gas, not liquid, against the weak compressive forces of Martian gravity.

In any case, the water had to get from the surface, down to the deep cavities. Perhaps it merely seeped down over millenia, vanishing with barely a whimper. Or perhaps, rather more dramaticly, there was at least some sizable body of surface water left, at a point when some channel
developed to an internal area of stress sufficiently extensive to drain the lot. That would lead to an event rather more spectacular than the shattering of hardened glass, the removal of a bath plug, or that amusing case in the USA where a drilling rig accidentally connected a lake with a very extensive saltmine beneath it. The entire lake (and the drill rig) vanished.
The Martian gurgler(s) would have been on a rather larger scale.

Possibly, such an event might have left some evidence on the surface of its occurence. Something like a rather deep, eroded looking hole or pit. Not necessarily round - it might have eroded along some preexisting faultline perhaps.
You don't suppose... that bloody great canyon, Valles Marineris?

Maybe, if there were other bodies of open water on the surface, separated from the 'sinkhole', then the planet's surface water might have taken some time to all drain away. Only that which fell in the catchment area of the sinkhole as rain would be permanently lost to the surface. If rain was infrequent, this could take quite a while. Also, with the loss of surface water, and maybe atmosphere, the temperature would fall and remaining surface water would freeze. From then on, water loss to the sinkhole (or holes) would occur only during rare thaws, or via sublimation and frosts.

There's another rather spectacular possibility too. During the process of Mars cooling, internal contraction and infiltration of the Martian oceans into subteranean voids, the planet's core heat and thermal outflow would have been enough to heat deep water volumes enough to overcome the pressure at great depth, and flash boil the water. The standard process by which geysers on Earth operate. Cyclic inflow of water into deep, hot chambers, water heating to the temperature at which it will flash boil and explode upward to the surface in a spectacular steam geyser.

Except on Mars, we're talking about whole oceans running down to vast spaces, potentially hundreds of miles below the surface. Geysers on a planetary scale. Possibly erupting with cycle times of hundreds or thousands of years. Entire oceans being boiled and blown out into the atmosphere, falling to form new oceans, then perhaps taking very long intervals to once again find a drainage path to deep cavities in the planet.

What would the surface signs of such events look like? Apart from 'river erosion channels' that seem to lead nowhere, and giant sink holes, what about the vast but very odd looking 'volcanoes' Olympus Mons and it's nearby sisters? The ones that look more like enormous symmetrical mud ejections, than lava flows. With the fringing cliffs that look like an ocean erosion coastline. (Because they probably are.)

One other interesting consequence of this scenario, is that there might remain cavities around the deep 'water table', where temperatures and pressures suitable to maintain liquid water, and a gaseous atmosphere supportive of life could exist. Though such a zone could have little in the way of thermodynamic gradients vital for the operation of higher chemical metabolisms. The only heat flow would be the slow leakage of remaining core heat upwards to the surface. There might be concentrations though, in forms similar to Earth's deep ocean 'smokers'.

Perhaps deep within the Red Planet, we may one day find the Martians: clams, worms, crustaceans, and Martian muscles?

I suspect when we get to Mars and start exploring, there will be a lot of real surprises. More than just 'some unusual rocks.'
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:55:31 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline JulietMikeBravo

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »
For example, how are you going to power the thing, realistically you have to launch a nuclear reactor. It’s not a new concept, but no one apart the soviets in the good old days ever tried it because of concerns in case of a failed launch (highly enriched uranium shower)

Apart from the proliferation risks of (intact) chunks of highly enriched U, an idle nuclear reactor falling back to earth isn't that big of a problem. Fresh fuel is mostly a long half life alpha emitter. A reactor that has been running for a while is a far greater radiological danger, due to the short half life fission products that have built up, making the fuel way more radioactive. The Soviets had a nuclear satellite that fell back to earth over Canada, prompting a major joint USA/Canada search and cleanup operation. BTW, both Russia and the USA have launched nuclear powered satellites in the past.

When it comes to long range missions, nuclear tech is unavoidable. Deep space probes require RTGs to keep them powered up in the absence of sufficient sunlight for solar panels.

Future Moon and Mars bases are way more easy to implement with a nuclear reactor as an energy source. No need to setup large solar arrays with fluctuating outputs and requiring battery backup at night.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »
And Mars isn't?
When you are arguing over bad conditions and badder conditions, it's kinda moot.
Try and survive in a 6 month mars dust storm and the moon might start to look like paradise.
I wasn't really aware of this difference until I spoke to someone designing the ExoMars rover. Mars is apparently much more benign. The main problem with Mars is that it's quite a long way away in human terms, but it's actually a lot more like Earth than the surface of the Moon is. Not having razor sharp dust agressively grinding all your equipment to shreds helps, as the Moon has no winds to round off the dust particles. Having some atmosphere helps too. It's no paradise like Earth is, but long term settlement should be a fair bit easier on Mars. Or less hard, if you like.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »

Brian
I don't think the smaller settlements are very viable on Mars. Go big or (don't) go home seems the way to go.

I don't see how anyone is going to come up with the hundreds of billions to commit to a massive settlement program requiring hundreds of rockets at hundreds of millions each not counting the gear they would need to take.  This has to be done in a phased approach so we can learn what works and what doesn't.  Spending billions on something that doesn't work and then going with it anyway because you spent billions on it is folly.  This is a crawl before you run kind of thing...

Brian

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 06:40:25 pm »
One of the problems faced by a Moon base is very low night temperatures, which last for two weeks at a stretch.  Getting equipment to stay working through the lunar night has been a serious challenge for Apollo, Lunokhod, etc. At least, Mars has a more normal rate of rotation so doesn't suffer this problem.
Yes, but Mars has those complete sun-blocking dust-storms which can cover half the planet lasting months making solar power useless.  An it still wont bet that warm...

Do you have a pointer to data suggesting the dust storms last months? 

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms

Electrostatic cling would suck.

OK the NASA article say weeks not months.  Also, the major impact to solar panels is NOT the dust blocking out the Sun in the sky but covering the panels -- I've already stated that this is an area that's pretty easy to deal with when you have people there to clean the panels.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be a challenge rather that it is manageable.  The tenuous clouds of dust don't significantly impact solar irradiance but cleaning the dust off the panels will be important.  Interestingly, the fact that the dust tends to develop a static charge could be exploited and automated cleaning system are possible though not necessary given the presence of people to clean them.

But, lets be clear here, a lot of the tech that needs to be developed will need to be tested -- on the Moon!  Working out as many of the bugs and issues on our nearby world will be cheaper and quicker than attempting to do so on Mars.  Working out the bugs on the Moon will make our first efforts at Mars more productive, less expensive, and safer!

Brian
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:42:30 pm by raptor1956 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 06:46:36 pm »
I don't see how anyone is going to come up with the hundreds of billions to commit to a massive settlement program requiring hundreds of rockets at hundreds of millions each not counting the gear they would need to take.  This has to be done in a phased approach so we can learn what works and what doesn't.  Spending billions on something that doesn't work and then going with it anyway because you spent billions on it is folly.  This is a crawl before you run kind of thing...

Brian
That maybe going too big too quickly. ;D Camping out on Mars isn't much easier than staying there for longer, so I suspect that any visit will be fairly permanent. You also have to have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't, or people are simply going to die. Robotic missions are likely to do a lot of the preparatory work. I suspect the first human visitors will land in a well prepared place, with a ready built base and other infrastructure that will ensure their longer term survical.

Then again, I  might be off.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 06:27:15 am »
this is another "i'm clever than them" thread. people dont go to somewhere just to die, no matter how close there are. people dont invest just because they can and have more money to burn. people can climb hundreds of meters top barge pole here on earth and take selfie, post in fartbook and a stunt publicity it will become (look how much more people following those idiots) its just a matter of putting it in mainstream channel hosted by some clever shake spears. if there is hope, they will struggle for it, no matter how far or close... its their money anyway, imho...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 08:03:15 am »
The entire basis of this Mars mission is to establish a backup for earth. The reason for all the fluff around this is purely for the sake of funding it. And this is because we’ll piss away trillions of dollars on short sighted ventures like resource wars but stick our fingers in our ears when it comes to a single event that could finish us all. Best to try and steal a bit of that and make a good effort than just join in everyone else. There are plenty of people with the same ideology willing to take the risk on.

One thing Musk realises is that we have very little data on Mars and unless you send adaptive intelligence there to do more than robotic recon then you can’t make any assumptions. Mission one would bring more data back than all other missions together and that’s worth a risk even if the data says forget it.

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 08:05:01 am »
this is another "i'm clever than them" thread. people dont go to somewhere just to die, no matter how close there are. people dont invest just because they can and have more money to burn. people can climb hundreds of meters top barge pole here on earth and take selfie, post in fartbook and a stunt publicity it will become (look how much more people following those idiots) its just a matter of putting it in mainstream channel hosted by some clever shake spears. if there is hope, they will struggle for it, no matter how far or close... its their money anyway, imho...

I think there are many valid arguments in this thread, perhaps a bit negative but closer to reality than the pseudoscience driving the "optimists with a vision" who thinks they can colonize Mars in 2019.

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:57 am »
For example, how are you going to power the thing, realistically you have to launch a nuclear reactor. It’s not a new concept, but no one apart the soviets in the good old days ever tried it because of concerns in case of a failed launch (highly enriched uranium shower)

Apart from the proliferation risks of (intact) chunks of highly enriched U, an idle nuclear reactor falling back to earth isn't that big of a problem. Fresh fuel is mostly a long half life alpha emitter. A reactor that has been running for a while is a far greater radiological danger, due to the short half life fission products that have built up, making the fuel way more radioactive. The Soviets had a nuclear satellite that fell back to earth over Canada, prompting a major joint USA/Canada search and cleanup operation. BTW, both Russia and the USA have launched nuclear powered satellites in the past.

When it comes to long range missions, nuclear tech is unavoidable. Deep space probes require RTGs to keep them powered up in the absence of sufficient sunlight for solar panels.

Future Moon and Mars bases are way more easy to implement with a nuclear reactor as an energy source. No need to setup large solar arrays with fluctuating outputs and requiring battery backup at night.

I think launching a nuclear reactor should be low risk, especially if you launch it on the BFR...

Considering the size of the max payload, I would imagine launching the reactor in parts and assemble in orbit / on Mars, unless of course, you can fit the whole reactor inside a serious bomb-proof container.

I believe it could be viable to put the reactor inside a 'strong enough container' so that it will survive any mission failure intact.

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:28 am »
Micrometeoroid; another one for the "you die" list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometeoroid#Effect_on_spacecraft_operations
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:37:31 am by modrobert »

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:32 pm »
The human spirit is strange: we could spend billions of dollars to go to the Moon or Mars but there is no money to feed or cure millions of people ...  :'(

The following users thanked this post: modrobert, MT

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 01:43:08 pm »
The human spirit is strange: we could spend billions of dollars to go to the Moon or Mars but there is no money to feed or cure millions of people ...  :'(

There is and it is being spent on that as well.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, tpowell1830

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »
Read my lips: narcissist and liar Musk will not deliver on his claim.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 02:44:03 pm »
I'd rather someone made a wild claim and headed in that direction than be tied to political whim or Roscosmos and burned up cash while they did it. At least in the UK we gave up :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf