Author Topic: Elon Musk is a nice chap  (Read 169574 times)

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Elon Musk is a nice chap
« Reply #1450 on: December 24, 2022, 04:07:14 am »
I don't know squat about being a CEO, I guess I'm qualified, maybe I should apply.
Chill out. They are not hiring for this role.

https://careers.twitter.com/en/roles.html

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: December 24, 2022, 08:34:22 am »
I don't know squat about being a CEO, I guess I'm qualified, maybe I should apply.
If it offers a 9 figure basic salary like other similar positions, then go for it.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1452 on: December 24, 2022, 01:09:02 pm »
I have read enough CRT articles to know it's an extremist ideology and actually discriminates against black people, just as much as white. I don't need Fox or GB News to find that out.
The fact that you call it an “ideology” at all means you don’t really know what it means, because it’s a framework and methodology. Teaching CRT (even if it were done) isn’t teaching a viewpoint or conclusion, it’s teaching how to consider and observe how race could play into other things.

Read this cached-to-avoid-paywall article:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BDBD9iRxvssJ:https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/critical-race-theory-law-systemic-racism/2021/07/02/6abe7590-d9f5-11eb-8fb8-aea56b785b00_story.html&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ch&client=safari

It might not be taught in schools, under the name CRT, but there definitely appears to be many teachers taken in by the ideology and have introduced CRT-related concepts in the classroom. If it really isn't a problem, then the left wouldn't be complain when the right push for bills prohibiting the teaching of concepts such as white privilege, as a matter of fact, in classroom.
Because it’s not wise to pass laws based on nonexistent problems. It’ll end up banning things that shouldn’t have been.
Most such bills don’t actually name CRT, they just talk about anything to do with race. And frankly, I don’t think that race should be excluded from the classroom. Doing so makes it impossible to even remotely accurately teach history.

But the right doesn’t debate in good faith, they literally call the left “evil” and then invent things to support their position. I won’t abide that behavior.
And the left are no better.
That is plain and simply not true.

The right employs falsehoods far more: https://news.osu.edu/conservatives-more-susceptible-to-believing-falsehoods/

The fundamentalist religious aspect of modern American conservatism have turned their ideology into one of “good vs evil”, and they literally believe (and routinely express) that they consider liberals “evil” in the biblical sense. This means they approach things with a very different mindset than the left does. Facts and details don’t matter to the right because they’re in a fight for the moral salvation of the nation. And while certainly not all republicans actually hold these fundie beliefs, they are content to go along with them.

The left may consider the right to be misguided and often bigoted and/or stupid — but not literally evil!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 01:11:37 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: tom66, ajb

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: December 24, 2022, 02:29:36 pm »
I have read enough CRT articles to know it's an extremist ideology and actually discriminates against black people, just as much as white. I don't need Fox or GB News to find that out.
The fact that you call it an “ideology” at all means you don’t really know what it means, because it’s a framework and methodology. Teaching CRT (even if it were done) isn’t teaching a viewpoint or conclusion, it’s teaching how to consider and observe how race could play into other things.

Read this cached-to-avoid-paywall article:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BDBD9iRxvssJ:https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/critical-race-theory-law-systemic-racism/2021/07/02/6abe7590-d9f5-11eb-8fb8-aea56b785b00_story.html&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ch&client=safari
The Washington Post are a left-wing outlet. They are no more trustworthy than Fox news. I arrived at my conclusions from reading Kimberly Crenshaw and pages on the Black Lives Matter website, which have since been taken down. Much of it reads very similar to Nazi propaganda, when rewritten with the word white replaced with Jew.

It might not be taught in schools, under the name CRT, but there definitely appears to be many teachers taken in by the ideology and have introduced CRT-related concepts in the classroom. If it really isn't a problem, then the left wouldn't be complain when the right push for bills prohibiting the teaching of concepts such as white privilege, as a matter of fact, in classroom.
Because it’s not wise to pass laws based on nonexistent problems. It’ll end up banning things that shouldn’t have been.
Most such bills don’t actually name CRT, they just talk about anything to do with race. And frankly, I don’t think that race should be excluded from the classroom. Doing so makes it impossible to even remotely accurately teach history.
I'm also wary of banning anything, but the laws I've seen don't explicitly deal with banning all discussion of race in the classroom. They just prohibit the teaching of the idea that one race is privileged or better than another.

But the right doesn’t debate in good faith, they literally call the left “evil” and then invent things to support their position. I won’t abide that behavior.

The right employs falsehoods far more: https://news.osu.edu/conservatives-more-susceptible-to-believing-falsehoods/

The fundamentalist religious aspect of modern American conservatism have turned their ideology into one of “good vs evil”, and they literally believe (and routinely express) that they consider liberals “evil” in the biblical sense. This means they approach things with a very different mindset than the left does. Facts and details don’t matter to the right because they’re in a fight for the moral salvation of the nation. And while certainly not all republicans actually hold these fundie beliefs, they are content to go along with them.
Again more left-wing propaganda sites.

If true, it's hardly surprising some Conservatives are more likely to believe in falsehoods. This is because there's more censorship in organisations such as the mainstream media, social media and education establishments against Conservative views. A classic example was suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop scandal, which was initially deemed to be misinformation and censored, but later found out to be true. It's impossible to know what's true any more. Censorship breeds mistrust in the authorities and conspiracy theories.

The left may consider the right to be misguided and often bigoted and/or stupid — but not literally evil!!
The left often fling insults such as white supremacist at those on the right who disagree with them. If the most famous white supremacist who typically springs to mind, Adolf Hitler, isn't evil, then I don't know what is. There are plenty of bigots  on the left, just as much as the right, just look at the racism Larry Elder has received from the left, for having the "wrong" views. He gets called a black face on white supremacy.

In reality, there are evil lefties and righties. It's very difficult to say who's worse.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:23:26 pm by Zero999 »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline dave j

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1454 on: December 24, 2022, 04:23:30 pm »
However, I agree that often members of both sides are misquoted or quoted out of context for the headlines, and if you read their actual words it's not so bad (and sometimes completely different). Even Boris suffered that with the £350m for the NHS which he didn't actually say but is now de facto truth.

Boris doesn't get a pass for that. The slogan on the side of the bus, "We send the EU £350 million a week – let's fund our NHS instead", was certainly intended to give people the impression that voting for brexit would result in the NHS getting an extra £350m a week and the fact that so many people have said they voted for brexit for that reason indicates that many people did understand it that way.

No amount of language lawyering about them not actually putting "we will give that money to the NHS instead" so it doesn't count gets away from the fact that it was intended to be, and was, understood as the money would go the the NHS.
I'm not David L Jones. Apparently I actually do have to point this out.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1455 on: December 24, 2022, 07:57:25 pm »
Well, let's not make this a mega-thread about Boris. He did indeed give the impression you state, but that's normal politics to imply without meaning it. I think people must be hung up on this particular thing because they are ashamed of being taken in by it - I saw it and what I got from it was just that we would not pay so much (350 in government speak is easily rounded down to a tenner or something - just look at how something can be presented as new and then a couple of months later again presented as new), and that the NHS might get some extra dosh as one of the things it could be spent on. Why don't they, instead, bang on about the 40 new hospitals that turned out to be coats of paint or similar on existing ones? Presumably because that straight-up lie was obvious and no-one was taken in.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1456 on: December 25, 2022, 12:40:11 am »

OSU is a “propaganda site”? NY Times and WaPo are “propaganda sites”? You don’t know what propaganda is, then. Are those papers more left-leaning? Yes. But they’re not propaganda.

In reality, there are evil lefties and righties.
Absolutely.

It's very difficult to say who's worse.
Not even slightly difficult. The right has set out to vilify tots opponents at all cost while putting on a pedestal individual selfishness and lack of empathy, and wants to enshrine their personal religious beliefs into law. The left, while sometimes overzealous, fundamentally wants tolerance and consideration for fellow humans. Speaking just of the political parties, they’re both severely corrupted by lobbying money. But in terms of who is worse, it’s not even a contest.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1457 on: December 25, 2022, 09:06:03 am »

OSU is a “propaganda site”? NY Times and WaPo are “propaganda sites”? You don’t know what propaganda is, then. Are those papers more left-leaning? Yes. But they’re not propaganda.
Fair point. Bias was the correct term. There are left wing outlets such as The Washington Post and right wing such as Fox News.

In reality, there are evil lefties and righties.
Absolutely.

Not even slightly difficult. The right has set out to vilify tots opponents at all cost while putting on a pedestal individual selfishness and lack of empathy, and wants to enshrine their personal religious beliefs into law. The left, while sometimes overzealous, fundamentally wants tolerance and consideration for fellow humans. Speaking just of the political parties, they’re both severely corrupted by lobbying money. But in terms of who is worse, it’s not even a contest.
I've encountered just as much intolerance from the left. They love to vilify those who disagree with their ideas. If you express concerns regarding single sex spaces and irreversible treatments on children, then your labelled a transphobe, who wants to erase trans people. If you disagree with their policies based on CRT such as affirmative action, you're called a white supremacist. They fail to see that those concerns are often not based on prejudice but unintended consequences of their policies, however well-intentioned they may be. Those with such Conservative views get deplatformed, by educational institutions. Of course this isn't the case off all leftists, just some, same as those on the right.

It's not true that all of those on the right want to enshrine their personal religious beliefs into law. I strongly disagree with those who do, just as much as I disagree with those on the left, who want laws based on their ideology of intersectionality such as: affirmative action and quotas for gender and race.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:48:05 am by Zero999 »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: December 25, 2022, 01:23:10 pm »
Fair point. Bias was the correct term. There are left wing outlets such as The Washington Post and right wing such as Fox News.
Exactly, though I don’t think WaPo and NYT lean as far left as Fox News does right. (I mean, it’s a bit hard to compare since Fox is TV and the other two are newspapers, but not even the most opinionated columnists in those papers come close to the frothing-at-the-mouth rage and disdain exhibited by the Fox News shows.)

I've encountered just as much intolerance from the left. They love to vilify those who disagree with their ideas. If you express concerns regarding single sex spaces and irreversible treatments on children, then your labelled a transphobe, who wants to erase trans people. If you disagree with their policies based on CRT such as affirmative action, you're called a white supremacist. They fail to see that those concerns are often not based on prejudice but unintended consequences of their policies, however well-intentioned they may be. Those with such Conservative views get deplatformed, by educational institutions. Of course this isn't the case off all leftists, just some, same as those on the right.
While one can disagree on whether such people are actually transphobic or not, here’s the difference in the “vilification” as I see it: Someone on the left calling someone a transphobe as a reaction to an anti-trans statement or action is basically a statement of perceived fact. It’s not a condemnation of the person as such. (And in fact, a huge part of the left’s approach is education, meaning that they don’t think that the others are irredeemable.) In stark contrast, the right routinely calls the left “evil” (using that word). As I said, it’s a biblical interpretation, and it’s one that leads them to believe and act as though the left is an evil to be slain, not an ally who’s gone astray.

I don’t know how much hands-on experience you have with USA. (I’m American and have lived about half my life there, back and forth, with friends and family both in the liberal north and the conservative rural Deep South, so I’ve seen it all from up close.) I just hope you aren’t basing your opinions on how the left and right in USA behave on what you see on the news and social media. Because it’s not an accurate portrayal, since those tend to focus on the extreme fringes of both. What’s far less obvious is that the far-right fringe isn’t nearly as far from the average Republican voter as the far-left fringe is from the average democrat voter. The far-left fringe gets almost as many eye rolls from the average democrat as it does from the right. In contrast, mainstream Republican politics of today are essentially what was far-right fringe just a decade or two ago.

I wish I’d saved some interesting analyses of this disparity that I’ve come across over the years, because it really cannot be understated how large the disparity is between the two sides and their fringes.

The other aspect that bothers me about the issue is the wide belief by conservatives that a) they represent the majority of Americans, and b) that they are the “real” America and the rest of us are illegitimate. On point a, this is created by the maps during elections showing huuuuge swaths of the USA in red. What gets forgotten is that this doesn’t show to what degree a jurisdiction was more red or blue, and that a giant red state in the Midwest represents far fewer voters than a small blue state on the east coast. Maps that instead show blue and red dots whose size indicates voter numbers show that conservatives aren’t dominant, and that far, far more of the country appears as purple than as clearly blue or red. As for point b) I find it arrogant of the right to dismiss the coasts (typically as “coastal elites”, despite the fact that those same coastal cities are also home to lots of poor people who are anything but elite) as if we somehow just don’t count, simply because they declare it so.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1459 on: December 25, 2022, 02:36:28 pm »
Exactly, though I don’t think WaPo and NYT lean as far left as Fox News does right. (I mean, it’s a bit hard to compare since Fox is TV and the other two are newspapers, but not even the most opinionated columnists in those papers come close to the frothing-at-the-mouth rage and disdain exhibited by the Fox News shows.)
One has to take their own biases into account. Those on the right say the same thing about left leaning outlets, as leftists say about right-wing media. I'm fairly centrist in many ways, yet you being more on the left, probably view me as right wing, which isn't true.  I disagree with the right on many things from having a free for all on guns, to teaching creationism as fact in school.

While one can disagree on whether such people are actually transphobic or not, here’s the difference in the “vilification” as I see it: Someone on the left calling someone a transphobe as a reaction to an anti-trans statement or action is basically a statement of perceived fact. It’s not a condemnation of the person as such. (And in fact, a huge part of the left’s approach is education, meaning that they don’t think that the others are irredeemable.) In stark contrast, the right routinely calls the left “evil” (using that word). As I said, it’s a biblical interpretation, and it’s one that leads them to believe and act as though the left is an evil to be slain, not an ally who’s gone astray.
Well they often advocate people with such views being fired from they jobs, with some success, so they clearly are vilifying people.

The way Larry Elder has been accused of white supremacy is terrible. Or perhaps you don't think white supremacy is evil, so it's okay to say that? I also find the racism spouted in this case pretty disgusting. Fine, disagree with his views and criticise his debating tactics, but don't being the colour of his skin into it. The person who wrote the article is clearly looking at it through the lens of critical race theory.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-08-20/recall-candidate-larry-elder-is-a-threat-to-black-californians

Here's a link to a post here, accusing some Republicans of being evil.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/msg4366939/#msg4366939

I can understand how some more extremist leftist opinions can be seen as evil, even if they're well-intentioned. For example the extreme pro-choice side who want to permit abortion, for any reason, including eugenics, right up to the point of birth. I'm also fully aware of the evil inflicted by the pro-life movement who have made it impossible for women to get some medicines which can damage a pregnancy, even though they're being used to treat other conditions, not to induce a termination.

I don’t know how much hands-on experience you have with USA. (I’m American and have lived about half my life there, back and forth, with friends and family both in the liberal north and the conservative rural Deep South, so I’ve seen it all from up close.) I just hope you aren’t basing your opinions on how the left and right in USA behave on what you see on the news and social media. Because it’s not an accurate portrayal, since those tend to focus on the extreme fringes of both. What’s far less obvious is that the far-right fringe isn’t nearly as far from the average Republican voter as the far-left fringe is from the average democrat voter. The far-left fringe gets almost as many eye rolls from the average democrat as it does from the right. In contrast, mainstream Republican politics of today are essentially what was far-right fringe just a decade or two ago.

I wish I’d saved some interesting analyses of this disparity that I’ve come across over the years, because it really cannot be understated how large the disparity is between the two sides and their fringes.

The other aspect that bothers me about the issue is the wide belief by conservatives that a) they represent the majority of Americans, and b) that they are the “real” America and the rest of us are illegitimate. On point a, this is created by the maps during elections showing huuuuge swaths of the USA in red. What gets forgotten is that this doesn’t show to what degree a jurisdiction was more red or blue, and that a giant red state in the Midwest represents far fewer voters than a small blue state on the east coast. Maps that instead show blue and red dots whose size indicates voter numbers show that conservatives aren’t dominant, and that far, far more of the country appears as purple than as clearly blue or red. As for point b) I find it arrogant of the right to dismiss the coasts (typically as “coastal elites”, despite the fact that those same coastal cities are also home to lots of poor people who are anything but elite) as if we somehow just don’t count, simply because they declare it so.
It's true, I am basing my opinion on social media and my interaction with Americans online. There isn't much else I have to go on. What strikes me is the more extremist leftists views such as the one on abortion I mentioned earlier, seem to be more widespread and tolerated, than the more extreme right-wing views such as the pushing of creationism in school.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 03:31:28 pm by Zero999 »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1460 on: December 26, 2022, 10:28:00 am »

One has to take their own biases into account. Those on the right say the same thing about left leaning outlets, as leftists say about right-wing media. I'm fairly centrist in many ways, yet you being more on the left, probably view me as right wing, which isn't true.  I disagree with the right on many things from having a free for all on guns, to teaching creationism as fact in school.

Well they often advocate people with such views being fired from they jobs, with some success, so they clearly are vilifying people.

The way Larry Elder has been accused of white supremacy is terrible. Or perhaps you don't think white supremacy is evil, so it's okay to say that? I also find the racism spouted in this case pretty disgusting. Fine, disagree with his views and criticise his debating tactics, but don't being the colour of his skin into it. The person who wrote the article is clearly looking at it through the lens of critical race theory.

[url]https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-08-20/recall-candidate-larry-elder-is-a-threat-to-black-californians[/url]

Here's a link to a post here, accusing some Republicans of being evil.
[url]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/msg4366939/#msg4366939[/url]

I can understand how some more extremist leftist opinions can be seen as evil, even if they're well-intentioned. For example the extreme pro-choice side who want to permit abortion, for any reason, including eugenics, right up to the point of birth. I'm also fully aware of the evil inflicted by the pro-life movement who have made it impossible for women to get some medicines which can damage a pregnancy, even though they're being used to treat other conditions, not to induce a termination.

It's true, I am basing my opinion on social media and my interaction with Americans online. There isn't much else I have to go on. What strikes me is the more extremist leftists views such as the one on abortion I mentioned earlier, seem to be more widespread and tolerated, than the more extreme right-wing views such as the pushing of creationism in school.
(Replying as a block since the bbcode is so nightmarishly difficult to properly edit on mobile.)Yes, I perceive you as quite right-leaning because the arguments you claim about the left aren’t the things the left says and does, but rather the things the right falsely claims  the left says and does.

For example abortion: neither left politics nor advocacy groups are actually pushing for zero-restrictions abortions for any reason. This is a false claim made by the right (together with completely fictitious accounts of late-term abortions being commonplace). The right is constantly arguing that the left pushes abortion as a form of birth control, that is, as a lighthearted everyday way to deal with pregnancy. In actuality, the pro-choice movement is the one pushing for strong sex-ed to prevent pregnancies to begin with, and unambiguously believes that abortion is the last resort. Pro-lifers believe that late-term abortions (which are statistically extremely rare, not the commonplace occurrence the right lies about it being) need to remain available for when the health of the mother is in jeopardy, or the fetus isn’t viable anymore. They do not believe that it’s something to be used at-will at any time  (not that any woman is going to go through 8 months of pregnancy and at the last minute decide “yknow what, nah”; it’s something decided on early on).

In contrast, when the left accuses the right of pushing creationism or other biblical BS in school, that’s because that’s what the right is actually doing, as evidenced by many, many, many attempts (many successful) to enshrine that into state or local law!! That and the fact that they (both constituents and politicians) expressly state that they want to do just that. They don’t even hide it any more. So when the left says it’s what the right is doing, it’s not an exaggeration!

These two examples perfectly exemplify why I firmly believe that the right doesn’t play fair, and that the left does for the most part. The dishonesty/arguing-in-bad-faith of the left simply is not anywhere near as extreme as that on the right.

“I don’t have much else to go on” -  then listen to (and believe) what people like me, who actually do have more to go on, tell you.

My own political views are center left (drifting more left as I get older), with huge amounts of disdain for both parties. But my disdain for the GOP has grown dramatically the past few years as they’ve completely divorced themselves from logic, facts, justice, and even the most basic principles of the constitution. (That thing they claim to revere, but then stomp on at every turn.) In my entire adult life, there’s only been one presidential candidate I voted for that I actually somewhat liked — all the rest (including the current one) were simply voting for the candidate I disliked less.

Evil: that post doesn’t even name anyone. My point is that republicans routinely call liberals “evil” and the “enemy” who “hate America”. Their words, not mine. But the point is not that it’s impossible to find counterexamples. But the frequency and vociferousness with which the right uses those descriptions for the left are vastly higher than the reverse. For the sake of argument, let’s assume that, as a left-leaning American, my media consumption skews left. Then it would stand to reason that I would encounter far more instances of the left using such terms to describe the right. But I don’t. In contrast, even just dipping a toe into right-leaning media finds many such examples.

Firing vs vilifying: do not agree with your equating those things. Firing someone for employing biblical values in a secular job (especially government) is not vilifying them, it’s firing them for not doing their job as required by law. And even where the law is vague, saying “that person is not fit to do that job” is NOT the same as saying “that person is evil” or “that person is an enemy of America”, which are real things republicans say.

The following users thanked this post: ajb, Ranayna

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1461 on: December 26, 2022, 05:24:54 pm »
How EV companies Are Built On Blood (Blood Batteries)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1462 on: December 26, 2022, 07:29:39 pm »
(Replying as a block since the bbcode is so nightmarishly difficult to properly edit on mobile.)Yes, I perceive you as quite right-leaning because the arguments you claim about the left aren’t the things the left says and does, but rather the things the right falsely claims  the left says and does.

For example abortion: neither left politics nor advocacy groups are actually pushing for zero-restrictions abortions for any reason. This is a false claim made by the right (together with completely fictitious accounts of late-term abortions being commonplace). The right is constantly arguing that the left pushes abortion as a form of birth control, that is, as a lighthearted everyday way to deal with pregnancy. In actuality, the pro-choice movement is the one pushing for strong sex-ed to prevent pregnancies to begin with, and unambiguously believes that abortion is the last resort. Pro-lifers believe that late-term abortions (which are statistically extremely rare, not the commonplace occurrence the right lies about it being) need to remain available for when the health of the mother is in jeopardy, or the fetus isn’t viable anymore. They do not believe that it’s something to be used at-will at any time  (not that any woman is going to go through 8 months of pregnancy and at the last minute decide “yknow what, nah”; it’s something decided on early on).
I was talking about the extremists of course. I certainly don't believe most people on the left support such an extreme view on abortion. I know such people exist because I've seen plenty of videos of them making such statements at protests and on TikTok. There are extremists on both ends of the spectrum.

In contrast, when the left accuses the right of pushing creationism or other biblical BS in school, that’s because that’s what the right is actually doing, as evidenced by many, many, many attempts (many successful) to enshrine that into state or local law!! That and the fact that they (both constituents and politicians) expressly state that they want to do just that. They don’t even hide it any more. So when the left says it’s what the right is doing, it’s not an exaggeration!
Not all of those on the right do that. You're going on what the left-wing media tells you. Not all Republicans are even that religious. Heck you do know that some of them are homosexual or even transgender: Caitlyn Jenner springs to mind. There are also left-wing teachers  who are guilty of pushing their political views on children. It comes from both sides.

These two examples perfectly exemplify why I firmly believe that the right doesn’t play fair, and that the left does for the most part. The dishonesty/arguing-in-bad-faith of the left simply is not anywhere near as extreme as that on the right.
They seem like two wings of the same dirty vulture to me.

“I don’t have much else to go on” -  then listen to (and believe) what people like me, who actually do have more to go on, tell you.
Have you actually been to a strongly left-wing state such as California?

My own political views are center left (drifting more left as I get older), with huge amounts of disdain for both parties. But my disdain for the GOP has grown dramatically the past few years as they’ve completely divorced themselves from logic, facts, justice, and even the most basic principles of the constitution. (That thing they claim to revere, but then stomp on at every turn.) In my entire adult life, there’s only been one presidential candidate I voted for that I actually somewhat liked — all the rest (including the current one) were simply voting for the candidate I disliked less.
I was left of centre when I was a teenager and have gone further right with age. I've travelled and learned about the consequences of radical left-wing policies. It's true western left-wing parties have abandoned traditionally Marxist policies of nationalisation and collectivism, but they've replaced them with ones based on intersectionality and various forms of affirmative action, with the intention of achieve equality of outcome, via different means. Similar policies have been implemented in the USSR and Zimbabwe and they didn't go very well. Of course I'm not saying any western government is that extreme, but it doesn't mean the lighter versions will work.

Evil: that post doesn’t even name anyone. My point is that republicans routinely call liberals “evil” and the “enemy” who “hate America”. Their words, not mine.
Some clearly appear to hate America. They bitch about the US being a racist, white supremacist country, founded on slavery. Again I've seen videos of students saying that. Now I'm fully aware most Democrats probably don't think that, but you shouldn't be surprised when right-wing outlets use them to get attention. Left-wing media do exactly the same thing with Christian evangelists pushing creationism in school.

But the point is not that it’s impossible to find counterexamples. But the frequency and vociferousness with which the right uses those descriptions for the left are vastly higher than the reverse. For the sake of argument, let’s assume that, as a left-leaning American, my media consumption skews left. Then it would stand to reason that I would encounter far more instances of the left using such terms to describe the right. But I don’t. In contrast, even just dipping a toe into right-leaning media finds many such examples.

Firing vs vilifying: do not agree with your equating those things. Firing someone for employing biblical values in a secular job (especially government) is not vilifying them, it’s firing them for not doing their job as required by law. And even where the law is vague, saying “that person is not fit to do that job” is NOT the same as saying “that person is evil” or “that person is an enemy of America”, which are real things republicans say.
There are plenty of examples of lefties hating on the right. It's just you're less likely to notices because of your cognative bias. It's much easier to not notice someone being mean to someone you already disagree with.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 07:33:26 pm by Zero999 »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1463 on: December 26, 2022, 07:40:13 pm »
How EV companies Are Built On Blood (Blood Batteries)

That goes for all batteries in mobile phones and tantalum used in capacitors.

Many rightly look at what's going on in the third world and are rightly appalled, but what can we do? Many western countries engaged in similar barbaric practises 150 years ago. Great British cities such as London and Liverpool were built on the back of virtual slave labour, both from Brits working in poor conditions, as well as other parts of the British Empire. It's also true that if we stopped trading with countries that, they'd be even poorer. History has shown that when Europeans leave African countries on their own, they go backwards. This happened in Zimbabwe and South Africa is taking a similar path. China is investing heavily in Africa. It will be interesting to see what effect they have over there in the future.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 07:46:42 pm by Zero999 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #1464 on: December 26, 2022, 08:13:46 pm »
Clickbait caption. FWIW most likely you have that in your mobile phone and Tesla uses cobalt-free LFP batteries a lot for their lower range models. https://electrek.co/2022/04/22/tesla-using-cobalt-free-lfp-batteries-in-half-new-cars-produced/ Also they are trying to get rid of cobalt in their Li-ion batteries too. Western companies usually use cobalt from certified sources which "guarantee" human exploitation was not involved. Of course there are schemes in existence to sneak in cobalt from other sources and to dilute trouble free cobalt and pass as certified.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 08:16:56 pm by wraper »

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1465 on: December 26, 2022, 08:35:03 pm »
iratus parum formica

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1466 on: December 26, 2022, 08:57:52 pm »
Not all of those on the right do that. You're going on what the left-wing media tells you. Not all Republicans are even that religious. Heck you do know that some of them are homosexual or even transgender: Caitlyn Jenner springs to mind. There are also left-wing teachers  who are guilty of pushing their political views on children. It comes from both sides.
I’m not just going by what “media tells” me. Far from it. I have friends and family in the Deep South, and used to live there, and thus have plenty of hands-on experience with conservatives.

Yes, I’ve been there multiple times and have many friends there. But my own home state is significantly more democrat (by voters’ party affiliation) than California! Admittedly, California has more of the loony left fringe — my state is one I consider to be quite sane. (Heck, this solidly democratic state had a Republican governor for two terms until just recently, because people actually voted on issues and performance instead of blind partisanship. And that governor in turn won people over by actually doing things the people wanted.)

Upshot is, I’ve got plenty of firsthand experience with average people on both sides of the spectrum. (Much less so with the extremes of either.)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1467 on: December 26, 2022, 09:44:45 pm »
I’m not just going by what “media tells” me. Far from it. I have friends and family in the Deep South, and used to live there, and thus have plenty of hands-on experience with conservatives.

Yes, I’ve been there multiple times and have many friends there. But my own home state is significantly more democrat (by voters’ party affiliation) than California! Admittedly, California has more of the loony left fringe — my state is one I consider to be quite sane. (Heck, this solidly democratic state had a Republican governor for two terms until just recently, because people actually voted on issues and performance instead of blind partisanship. And that governor in turn won people over by actually doing things the people wanted.)

Upshot is, I’ve got plenty of firsthand experience with average people on both sides of the spectrum. (Much less so with the extremes of either.)
Just one more thing to add: have you considered why those who you disagree with, think they way they do? There will be a variety of reasons for holding certain viewpoints. Tempting as it is to post specific examples which you probably disagree with me on, I'll avoid doing so, as this thread is cluttered enough as it is.

Clickbait caption. FWIW most likely you have that in your mobile phone and Tesla uses cobalt-free LFP batteries a lot for their lower range models. https://electrek.co/2022/04/22/tesla-using-cobalt-free-lfp-batteries-in-half-new-cars-produced/ Also they are trying to get rid of cobalt in their Li-ion batteries too. Western companies usually use cobalt from certified sources which "guarantee" human exploitation was not involved. Of course there are schemes in existence to sneak in cobalt from other sources and to dilute trouble free cobalt and pass as certified.
That's the problem with certification to prove something is ethical or environmentally friendly. It's all too often faked. The nature of corruption, both in companies and governments alike makes this inevitable.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1468 on: December 26, 2022, 09:57:42 pm »

Uh yeah, the reality is that in most cases child labour is involved. Often through a chain of companies so that the "western" companies appear to be clean.
Some companies may be an exception, especially when they design specialty batteries, but otherwise most Li-ion batteries in circulation come from China. The level of transparency is, uh, questionable.
But it's a problem with our exploitation of resources in general. It's often not too pretty when you dig a little bit.

And anyway, at the moment EVs are definitely not environmentally-friendly when you look at the big picture. It may happen over time, but rushing it doesn't make any sense.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1469 on: December 28, 2022, 12:42:46 am »
History has shown that when Europeans leave African countries on their own, they go backwards. This happened in Zimbabwe and South Africa is taking a similar path. China is investing heavily in Africa. It will be interesting to see what effect they have over there in the future.
Also known as "looting" a country of its resources under the cover of "niceness" , yet if scrutinized it's all the same thing all over again. Chinese actually highly
unpopular among the plebs in Africa and in the Amazon/South america , plenty of documentaries and documentation about it but you have to do the research your self.
You simply dont invest 60billion USD in Africa unless there is at least a double payback to gain.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: December 28, 2022, 02:09:25 am »
   Had a pretty good start, taking Black History, in tenth grade...then by coincidence, following year, some friends and I were able to switch High Schools, transferring to the new, highly integrated (50/50) Richmond school (John F. Kennedy High).
Learned a lot about racial backgrounds and histories.

Current 'woke' discussion, here, does not offer ANY of the life's lessons, on race relations, that were avail, 50 years ago.  Nor, technical, nor social media commentary to learn from.

I 'skim', here, yawn, sigh, a couple times.  BUT, I would say, the commentary about Musk, on mainstream TV news shows is revolting.  They saying, that racism on Twitter has exploded, now, which made me want to ask, here...
But, sorry, time-out, on the frivolous politics, I've got enormous pile of ELECTRONICS systems crap to solve.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MK14

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1471 on: December 28, 2022, 10:06:16 am »
   Had a pretty good start, taking Black History, in tenth grade...then by coincidence, following year, some friends and I were able to switch High Schools, transferring to the new, highly integrated (50/50) Richmond school (John F. Kennedy High).
Learned a lot about racial backgrounds and histories.
Segregating history appears to be racist to me. I've never understood why the history of a certain demographic is taught separately. A lot of it is inaccurate and is moulded to fit a certain narrative, with certain inconvenient truths omitted.
Current 'woke' discussion, here, does not offer ANY of the life's lessons, on race relations, that were avail, 50 years ago.  Nor, technical, nor social media commentary to learn from.
Yes, much of it is taking us backwards.
I 'skim', here, yawn, sigh, a couple times.  BUT, I would say, the commentary about Musk, on mainstream TV news shows is revolting.  They saying, that racism on Twitter has exploded, now, which made me want to ask, here...
Is it though? It's difficult to get objective data on the matter. The number of bad words might have increased, but that would be the case if more people are using it and minorities are more likely to use those words.
But, sorry, time-out, on the frivolous politics, I've got enormous pile of ELECTRONICS systems crap to solve.
I'm on Christmas bread and board, I mean break and bored. I must've been hungry when I made that error.  :palm: I've left a lot of my kit at work. :palm:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:29:52 pm by Zero999 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #1472 on: January 06, 2023, 03:25:53 pm »
A good example why what you identify with stuff is total nonsense.
Man Legally Changed Gender to Gain Custody of His Kids. Trans Groups Are Concerned.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gdny/man-legally-changed-gender-to-gain-custody-of-his-kids-trans-groups-are-concerned

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1473 on: January 06, 2023, 04:15:26 pm »
René Salinas Ramos says the legal change is an attempt to gain full custody of his daughters, because Ecuadoran law favors mothers in custody battles.
Did this legal move make him a mother?

PS. Ecuadorian laws remind me of Soviet laws. Divorce in the USSR meant two inevitable things to a former husband: loss of custody of his children and homelessness. The latter meant moving back to the parent’s apparent or to a hostel, because homelessness was also prohibited. The law called “MOTHERHOOD AND CHILDHOOD PROTECTION ACT” mandated that upon a divorce the custody of children should remain with the mother in 100% of the cases, and that the mother and children cannot be evicted from the residence they occupied prior to the divorce. Property ownership was prohibited under Soviet laws, and all residential properties were tenanted either from the state or cooperatives. The state would evict the former husband.

PPS. I did not know Elon was heading to Ecuador.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1474 on: January 06, 2023, 05:53:05 pm »
PS. Ecuadorian laws remind me of Soviet laws. Divorce in the USSR meant two inevitable things to a former husband: loss of custody of his children and homelessness. The latter meant moving back to the parent’s apparent or to a hostel, because homelessness was also prohibited. The law called “MOTHERHOOD AND CHILDHOOD PROTECTION ACT” mandated that upon a divorce the custody of children should remain with the mother in 100% of the cases, and that the mother and children cannot be evicted from the residence they occupied prior to the divorce. Property ownership was prohibited under Soviet laws, and all residential properties were tenanted either from the state or cooperatives. The state would evict the former husband.

Why on earth would anyone get married or have kids under those constraints? Was remaining a bachelor prohibited too?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf