Author Topic: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud  (Read 55816 times)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Elizabeth Holmes convicted of fraud
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2023, 12:34:09 pm »
If you were trying to make it look like you were going to come back, why not book a return leg anyway?  Why would a return leg not be needed for a wedding? 

Mexico does have an extradition policy with the US, but perhaps she was hoping she could get a gang to smuggle her out of the country.  I'm not sure she'd like that option.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2023, 12:52:38 pm »
She managed to bribe thru the system for not to sieze & confiscate her passport by court order (isn't this obvious ?  :palm: ), and I guess this particular step must cost her pretty penny, but alas, still not enough.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2023, 06:25:52 pm »
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/01/20/feds-say-elizabeth-holmes-attempted-to-flee-the-u-s-with-one-way-ticket-after-conviction/

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes tried to flee the U.S. after a jury convicted her of felony fraud in early 2022, federal prosecutors alleged in a new court filing.
Grease and slime her way out of it which buys her more time if they do happen to find her and successfully extradite her back.

“Holmes booked an international flight to Mexico departing on January 26, 2022, without a scheduled return trip,”
Joke: Maybe she wanted to disappear.

the document from prosecutors, filed Thursday, said. It was only after government prosecutors contacted Holmes’ legal team about the “unauthorized flight” that the trip was cancelled.
Pleased to see they are watching over this psychopath and the moves she might make.

Wade said Holmes’ flight reservation for Mexico was made before the jury’s verdict. “The hope was that the verdict would be different and Ms. Holmes would be able to make this trip to attend the wedding of close friends in Mexico,” the letter said. “Given the verdict, she does not plan to take the trip — and therefore did not provide notice, seek permission, or request access to her passport (which the government has) for the trip. But she also had not yet cancelled the trip, amidst everything that has been going on. We will have her do so promptly.
Joke: Is it because they noticed and she was hoping they didn't which is why she booked her flight without a return trip (to spend as long as she wanted) and didn't cancel it after the sentencing. Sounds to me like a great excuse and well planned if it wasn't coincidence.

How convenient. She could spend a very long time there and if that was the case I wonder how long it would take them to extradite her back for sentence if she didn't disappear after that.

Would they not have been better to just say nothing and then nick her at the airport? By telling her (via her lawyers) that TPTB are hip to the trip, if she were intending to skip she'd make sure the next attempt was much more below the radar.
That would have removed the benefit of the doubt over her forgetting to cancel the trip or not taking up the opportunity.

Maybe that's why they are not taking any chances and are being proactive as she seems to be so good at influencing others and greasing and sliming her way out of things.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 08:48:00 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2023, 07:22:01 pm »
Nice drama! I'm out of popcorn.

The following users thanked this post: Bud, Nominal Animal, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2023, 09:06:36 pm »
She managed to bribe thru the system for not to sieze & confiscate her passport by court order (isn't this obvious ?  :palm: ), and I guess this particular step must cost her pretty penny, but alas, still not enough.  :-//

Joke: Talking of drama, forget about her health program, I think they should record everything she does in prison without her knowing about it to see how she behaves and "the magic" or whatever it is she has over other people and then broadcast live it to give the public (and the blood testing victims) a better understanding and confirmation of what she really is and what she got up to at Theranos and this time all without the influence of Balwani.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 09:10:02 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »
If you were trying to make it look like you were going to come back, why not book a return leg anyway?  Why would a return leg not be needed for a wedding? 

Mexico does have an extradition policy with the US,

Mexico could have just been the first stop before going to a country like Cuba that does not have an extradition treaty with the US. With the amount of money that Elizabeth swindled out of investors I'm sure that she could live very well; even in Cuba.  There are already several high profile fugitives from the US living in Cuba. 

Even if the flight reservations were made BEFORE her conviction that doesn't mean that they weren't made as part of a possible evacuation plan. 

Let us hope that the FBI gets involved with this and does a thorough investigation and questions everyone involved and makes a determination as to weather there was in fact going to be a wedding in Mexico or if this was just part of a pre-planned escape route in the event that the jury did convict her.   

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2023, 10:15:02 pm »

LOL!  Me Too! But it doesn't look like E.H.'s soap opera isn't going to end any time soon.

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes playing dumb and stupid before sentencing
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2023, 07:17:47 am »
Clearly booking a flight out of the US isn’t a good move and makes her look like a flight risk. Of course delusional people trend to continue being delusional
What surprises me is just how many delusional people are running around these days. Its like everyone just went nuts in western culture.
I guess this particular step must cost her pretty penny, but alas, still not enough.  :-//
Or is it that she is playing dumb and stupid to justify her actions that might lead into fleeing.

I am hoping they'd do a prison drama of her.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:15:52 pm by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes possibly trying to escape sentence and disappear
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2023, 06:25:48 pm »
Talking flight risks:
https://www.thestreet.com/biotech/heres-how-much-elizabeth-holmes-is-spending-before-jail
* Holmes Could Be a Flight Risk, Prosecutors Warn
As it stands now, Holmes has been more or less holed up in a California villa with her partner and young child. Though her partner's salary is listed at $0, their monthly expenses indicate they're getting money from somewhere.
I thought they make money through their hotel business.
* More like an escape risk.

Holmes apparently also has enough money to jet set, having recently appealed her travel restriction, which currently mandates she stay within the Northern District of California. * She claims that,  since her partner is unemployed, she needs more freedom to roam. But prosecutors claim she might be trying to dodge prison instead.
*Making up every excuse imaginable. What a load of bullshit.
I thought they are loaded for life with the hotel business family that she married herself into.
Would it matter if her partner was unemployed before they got married and after they jet set.

More space to do what she likes.
Joke: My partner is not employed... I need freedom to roam and disappear somewhere.

Why is she having children if her partner is so unemployable that it affecting her where she has to travel around for work. Should she be looking after her children? If not the family... Let me guess they can afford to have other people do it for them.

Holmes' partner did take the flight, however, and did not return to the states for a month and a half.
Maybe it was planned for the partner to disappear with her if  they managed to slip through.

And now prosecutors are pushing for her sentence to start right away.
Good.

I find her very slippery character and great actor once she greases people up and slimes her way through them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:50:40 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2023, 07:48:53 pm »

Joke: Talking of drama, forget about her health program, I think they should record everything she does in prison without her knowing about it to see how she behaves and "the magic" or whatever it is she has over other people and then broadcast live it to give the public (and the blood testing victims) a better understanding and confirmation of what she really is and what she got up to at Theranos and this time all without the influence of Balwani.

"The magic" is that she's an attractive female, those have captivated people, especially men since the dawn of humanity. On top of that she obviously has some kind of psychopathy and thus lacks empathy and is willing and able to manipulate people to benefit herself. It's fairly easy to manipulate people and take advantage of societal norms if you really don't care and are incapable of feeling bad when your actions hurt others. Psychopaths and narcissists and such are known for being charismatic.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2023, 08:06:10 pm »
Yeah, there is no fricking magic here. Good lord. :-DD
And while some people are very good at manipulating others - that's extremely common, hardly the exception that some still want to believe, as it has existed almsot forever as james said - we as adults all are responsible of what we do and if we are being manipulated, that's because we let it happen. There is no magic there, and the mechanisms have been known for a very long time.

It's just a tiny bit harder when the manipulative person is a close relative - obvious and well known factor - and/or when there is some strong attraction involved, just as james said as well. Men doing really stupid stuff to get attention from females, that's also probably as old as humanity. We all have done something stupid for that reason at some point in our life, but as we age we're supposed to wise up. A little bit. Sometimes. ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2023, 09:23:39 pm »
Sorry I meant the "magic" as a joke on how well she influenced the many including that lawyer, Boies Schiller, who took stocks in her company as form of payment who went around threatening employees who left the company to work elsewhere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Boies
Boies agreed to be paid for his firm's work in Theranos stock, which he expected to grow dramatically in value.

"The magic" is that she's an attractive female, those have captivated people, especially men since the dawn of humanity. On top of that she obviously has some kind of psychopathy and thus lacks empathy and is willing and able to manipulate people to benefit herself. It's fairly easy to manipulate people and take advantage of societal norms if you really don't care and are incapable of feeling bad when your actions hurt others. Psychopaths and narcissists and such are known for being charismatic.
It seems when she gets hurt she is perfectly capable of feeling bad for herself only like that time when her new CFO cut her off financially from the company in 2017 and she had this fit.

Joke: Maybe if the inmates are smart enough and see through it they could spread a bit of their own "magic" into her to make her feel bad and manipulated whilst being charismatic towards her.

Well considering that is likely to be a "Cushy, Fenceless Prison" with possible not so rough inmates(if you call them that) that may never happen.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-04/elizabeth-holmes-will-likely-land-in-cushy-fenceless-prison

Elizabeth Holmes Found Guilty in Theranos Fraud Trial ByMalathi Nayak
January 4, 2022, 5:00 PM UTCUpdated onJanuary 4, 2022, 6:02 PM UTC

Elizabeth Holmes, *once hailed as the youngest female self-made billionaire and an emblem of Silicon Valley entrepreneurship, will probably spend the next few years in a cushy minimum-security prison camp with access to activities like crafting or tennis, and **no perimeter fence.
* Self made? Rubbish. Under the possible influence of Balwani from 2002, his and her investors money.
More like self stole.
Joke: ** Maybe her family could take her holidays from the prison camp where she might slip away and flee for a bit

prison consultants and legal experts say that Holmes may serve as little as three years at one of the federal penal system’s less restrictive facilities for * non-violent, white-collar criminals. She is likely to appeal to her conviction and could spend even less time incarcerated if she prevails.
Prevails? in remorse. She might "show" remorse but might not mean it.

* Because she is not violent...
https://www.businessinsider.com/elizabeth-holmes-theranos-trial-prison-estate-prosecutors-appeal-conviction-2023-1?r=US&IR=T
"There are not two systems of justice — one for the wealthy and one for the poor — there is one criminal justice system in this country," they wrote in the document.
* So it seems like there is now... because she is not violent..

https://www.thestreet.com/biotech/heres-how-much-elizabeth-holmes-is-spending-before-jail
And, in what is largely cast as a millennial trait, Holmes is really, unapologetically entrepreneurial. So entrepreneurial, in fact, that she had allegedly been thinking of new ways to re-enter the pharma industry and jet off to Mexico to maybe just avoid going to prison in the first place.
but with prosecutors saying that she has a motive and high incentive (desperation?) to escape and they still decide to put her in a prison with no fence.

Prosecutors claim, according to Bloomberg, that Holmes has "indicated a willingness to continue operating in similar fields in the future," and enjoys a lifestyle of immodest comfortability, where she "has both the means and the motive to flee," and "her incentive to flee has never been higher."

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/01/20/feds-say-elizabeth-holmes-attempted-to-flee-the-u-s-with-one-way-ticket-after-conviction/
Former Santa Clara County prosecutor Steven Clark, after reading the filing, said it appeared prosecution’s patience with Holmes was wearing thin. “They’re concerned that she’s spending time in a mansion and not in custody. They’re really questioning the fairness of all of this and I think their frustration was manifest,” Clark said.
She seems very good at getting stuff and concessions out of the system and taking liberties?

That ticket she booked:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elizabeth-holmes-bought-plane-ticket-to-mexico-after-conviction-prosecutors-theranos/
JANUARY 21, 2023 / 11:36 PM / AP

Elizabeth Holmes bought plane ticket to Mexico after conviction, prosecutors say

Holmes had a one-way plane ticket to Mexico booked for Jan. 26, 2022, three weeks after being convicted by a jury on four counts of fraud and conspiracy, federal prosecutors said in a motion filed Thursday in federal court in Northern California.
I was under the impression that she booked it before she was convicted.

Just saw a Youtube video on the subject and noticed the comments:
youtube.com/watch?v=HdcYmUtS1Z4
21 Jan 2023 CBS Evening News 7.1k views
In court documents, federal prosecutors allege that Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes purchased a plane ticket to Mexico after being convicted of fraud and conspiracy last year. She remains out of prison while appealing her conviction.
Youtube comments:
@justayoutuber1906 1 day ago
Is anybody shocked?   And what judge tells a convicted criminal to show up at prison when it is convenient for them??
Talk about billionaire-white-woman privilege.
Joke: An influenced judge.
So privileged they don't make any money in fact $0 as they have money given to them.

@b.visconti1765 1 day ago
Lordy..if I was sentenced like she was they would have made me go to jail that day!  What's So Special About Her???
She has money, lawyers and has married into a wealthy family and knows how to influence and manipulate people including that judge as it seems.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:59:13 am by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2023, 11:44:26 pm »
Well if this is true then I am quite disappointed in the press reporting:
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/elizabeth-holmes-did-not-try-to-flee-us-after-conviction-attorneys-say-rcna67172

Elizabeth Holmes says prosecutor's claim she tried to flee the U.S. after fraud conviction is 'baseless'
"These accusations have been widely reported in the press and already have produced negative effects for Ms. Holmes and her partner beyond this case," her attorneys said.
Jan. 24, 2023, 4:31 PM GMT By Rob Wile

They added that Holmes had already surrendered her passport, which "has been expired for years." Holmes has also been in frequent contact with multiple pretrial services officers, they wrote. "She has a flawless pretrial services record," they said.

As an explanation for the scheduled trip, the attorneys wrote that Holmes "hoped to be acquitted," at which point she would have been able to attend the wedding of close friends in Mexico in late January 2022. Her partner, Billy Evans, booked flights for himself and Holmes in December 2021, before the verdict.

"Once the verdict was issued, Ms. Holmes did not intend to make the trip," they wrote — and regardless, there was no way she could have gone, given the conditions of her release. In addition, they said, "when the government inquired, defense counsel quickly responded and explained the situation, and Mr. Evans canceled the ticket."

Holmes’ attorneys said lead prosecutor Jeffrey Schenk wrote to Holmes lawyer Lance Wade on Jan. 23, 2022: "I do not believe there is need for us to discuss this further, but I will certainly be in touch if that changes, and please feel free to reach out if you disagree.” Finally, Holmes' attorneys accused the prosecutors misrepresenting Evans' itinerary, saying he returned from Mexico through Tijuana four days after he left for Mexico; the government had originally accused him of leaving for Mexico and returning six weeks later from a different continent.

"Counsel for Ms. Holmes brought these inaccuracies to the government’s attention by email on January 20, 2023, and requested the government correct them," they wrote. "As of this filing, the government has neither responded nor corrected the inaccuracies." The lawyers added that the accusations “have been widely reported in the press and already have produced negative effects for Ms. Holmes and her partner beyond this case,[/b]” without elaborating.

Prosecutors did not respond to a request for comment. Holmes has been ordered to surrender to authorities in April to begin serving her sentence.

I thought they cancelled it after the prosecutors contacted Elizabeth Home's legal team.
the document from prosecutors, filed Thursday, said. It was only after government prosecutors contacted Holmes’ legal team about the “unauthorized flight” that the trip was cancelled.

I don't know what is true anymore with the press reporting certain facts and about what she intended to do for definite.
I believe it was possible for a planned slip away if the opportunity arose.

Unless she turned up at the airport and got caught out by the authorities waiting for her what a waste of reporting.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:51:17 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2023, 12:19:26 am »
I don't know what is true anymore with the press reporting certain facts and about what she intended to do for definite.
I believe it was possible for a planned slip away if the opportunity arose.
When have you ever known what is true by reading press reporting?

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard, MrMobodies

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2023, 02:34:23 am »
  Or by believing what a defense lawyer claimed!   Frankly, I'd trust the news report more but that's not saying much.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2023, 05:42:02 am »
They shouldn't have said that they had court documents to prove it if they hadn't.

Or by believing what a defense lawyer claimed!   Frankly, I'd trust the news report more but that's not saying much.

As it happens just like this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/average-car-contains-100-million-lines-of-code-the-state-of-autosoftware/msg4659721/#msg4659721
https://www.thegilbertlawgroup.com/blog/2015/january/man-sent-to-prison-over-toyota-sudden-accelerati/
Toyota Driver Freed From Prison, Prosecutor Drops Charges
Koua Fong Lee, who was in prison for vehicular homicide, is a free man.

By ANGELA M. HILL and SUSANNA SONG June 29, 2010, 11:28 PM

According to ABC affiliate KSTP, Ramsey County, Minnesota prosecutors said Lee could return home to his family if he accepted their offer to plead guilty to the same felony and be released immediately. The terms of the plea would mean Lee would still be a convicted felon with 15 years of probation and his driving privileges would be suspended for 10 years. Lee, 32, said no to the plea deal.

The family of the victims had also backed a new trial. Michael Padden, attorney for the victims' family, said his clients were "shocked" at the plea offer and "disappointed" with the prosecutors. "

Brent Schafer, also representing Lee, said new evidence showed that Lee deserved a new trial. "We'll call witnesses who have also experienced throttle control problems in their 1996 Camry."

Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner expressed her sympathy to all involved in the accident, while also stating her opposition to a new trial. "But the law is clear," she said. "Newly discovered evidence is required to overturn a conviction. Despite diligent efforts, we found no such evidence."

The Ramsey County prosecutor's office said there was no new evidence. In April, two experts hired by the prosecutor re-examined the car and reported "…there were no problems with the brakes or throttle system.  :bullshit: "They blamed the accident on driver error.

**Lee's attorneys hired their own expert to examine the car, however, and their expert reported there was evidence that the throttle was stuck open and that Lee was pressing the brakes at the time of the collision.

Talking of which I thought the prosecutor was supposed to be on the side of the victims and the judge impartial but they seem a bit influenced too.

One of them, either the people who they got to do the testing or the prosecutors are lying but they seem more interested in sticking the blame to the driver. The judge see's others coming forward and the victims supporting a retrial which the judge don't seem to want based on the prosecutors claim they were maintaining that it was driver error and it makes me wonder if they are not on the side of the the victims who side are they on?

Joke: Are they treating Toyota as the real victim?
(Toyota having some kind of influence over them.)

It seems to me that not all of them can be trusted.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:53:41 am by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
Re: Elizabeth Holmes Creature comforts in prison?
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2023, 06:52:18 am »

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/02/business/elizabeth-holmes-prison-delay/index.html
Elizabeth Holmes wants to delay her prison sentence after giving birth to her second child
Jordan Valinsky
By Jordan Valinsky, CNN Business
Updated 5:05 PM EST, Thu March 2, 2023

New York CNN

Elizabeth Holmes, the former CEO of Theranos convicted of defrauding investors, is seeking to delay the start of her 11-year prison sentence because she has “two very young children” to be with.

The court filing last week represents the first public acknowledgment that Holmes gave has given birth to her second child. Holmes was pregnant during her November 2022 sentencing.

Her lawyers laid out several reasons to delay the prison sentence pending an appeal of her conviction, arguing that she’s not a flight risk or a danger to the community. It also said she has “two young children,” but didn’t reveal when her second child was born or their gender.

In a January filing, prosecutors said Holmes attempted to flee to Mexico.

“The government became aware on January 23, 2022, that Defendant Holmes booked an international flight to Mexico departing on January 26, 2022, without a scheduled return trip,” the court filing states. “Only after the government raised this unauthorized flight with defense counsel was the trip canceled.”

Holmes’ criminal trial was initially delayed from March 2021 to August 2021 because she was pregnant with her first child. She’s been married to her husband Billy Evans since 2019.

Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes on November 18, 2022 in San Jose, California. Holmes appeared in federal court for sentencing after being convicted of four counts of fraud for allegedly engaging in a multimillion-dollar scheme to defraud investors in her company Theranos, which offered blood testing lab services.
Elizabeth Holmes made an 'attempt to flee the country' after her conviction, prosecutors say
Last year, Holmes was sentenced to more than 11 years in prison for defrauding investors while running the failed blood testing startup Theranos. The sentence also includes a fine of $400, or $100 for each count of fraud. Restitution will be set at a later date.

Holmes was ordered to turn herself into custody on April 27, 2023 and is appealing her conviction. A hearing has been scheduled for March 17.

Holmes started Theranos in 2003 at the age of 19 and soon thereafter dropped out of Stanford University to pursue the company full-time. After a decade under the radar, Holmes began courting the press with claims that Theranos had invented technology that could accurately and reliably test for a range of conditions using just a few drops of blood taken from a finger prick.

Theranos raised $945 million from an impressive list of investors, including media mogul Rupert Murdoch, Oracle founder Larry Ellison, Walmart’s Walton family and the billionaire family of former Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. At its peak, Theranos was valued at $9 billion, making Holmes a billionaire on paper. She was lauded on magazine covers, frequently wearing a signature black turtleneck that invited comparisons to late Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

The company began to unravel after a Wall Street Journal investigation in 2015 found Theranos had only ever performed roughly a dozen of the hundreds of tests it offered using its proprietary blood testing device, and with questionable accuracy. Instead, Theranos was relying on third-party manufactured devices from traditional blood testing companies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11799179/Elizabeth-Holmes-given-birth-second-child.html
Isn't her neck very long?

Elizabeth Holmes 'has given birth to her second child': New legal filing claims Theranos fraudster, 39, is mom of 'two young children' as she asks judge to delay looming 11-year jail sentence until her appeal is heard.
By MELISSA KOENIG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 18:36, 27 February 2023 | UPDATED: 19:02, 27 February 2023

She is set to begin her prison sentence on April 27, but she and her legal team are now trying to postpone that date until the appeals process is finished - noting in court documents that Holmes is a 'mother of two young children.'

1: Reappeal sentence.
2: Delay the court even more by asking the prosecutors for things that they have to wait for like documents.
3  Ask for sentence to be quashed.
4: Have another baby (2)
Goto 1:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2023, 07:15:55 am »

I think it's just the angles. She has her head pushed forward and chin up which makes the neck appear longer. If you look at the distance between the top of her sholders and the bottom of her skull it is not unusually long.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2023, 07:40:46 am »
[takes notes on how to make things appear longer. Angles.]

;D

I wonder if this was the reason for the turtle necks. Not the mainstream (lamestream?) media explanation.
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2023, 10:28:11 am »

Made of brass, too.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2023, 12:12:09 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/elizabeth-holmes-responds-to-feds-demand-she-pay-878-million-crimes-didn-t-kill-theranos/ar-AA18iwa3
Story by Ethan Baron, Bay Area News Group • 11h ago

Davila ruled in a January order that prosecutors had not established that Theranos collapsed because of Holmes’ criminal conduct.
I thought they did with the amount of witnesses... beggars belief.

Or is it that she got to the judge.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2023, 02:11:31 pm »

Elizabeth Holmes wants to delay her prison sentence after giving birth to her second child
Jordan Valinsky

New York CNN

Elizabeth Holmes, the former CEO of Theranos convicted of defrauding investors, is seeking to delay the start of her 11-year prison sentence because she has “two very young children” to be with.

Totally expected.  She will never serve a day in prison.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2023, 02:21:56 pm »

Jordan Valinsky

New York CNN

Totally expected.  She will never serve a day in prison.
IDK...  She probably won't serve her full sentence, but I don't think she's in that entitled class so much to eliminate it entirely, child or no child.  If Martha Stewart served time, so will she.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:56:11 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

• Super Contributor
TIM DRAPER justifies why Elizabeth Holmes should be freed
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2023, 09:54:01 pm »
I found this article and a little shocked with the biasdry. The author comparing Elizabeth Holmes to other entrepreneurs who probably done nothing wrong:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/10/opinion-why-holmes-should-be-released-on-bond-pending-her-appeal/
By TIM DRAPER |
PUBLISHED: March 10, 2023 at 5:15 a.m. | UPDATED: March 10, 2023 at 5:23 a.m.

Opinion: Why venture capitalist believes Elizabeth Holmes should be freed  :bullshit:
The media has turned her into a villainous caricature. This is just wrong. She is heroic  :bullshit: for her efforts
Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes arrives at federal court in San Jose on Oct. 17, 2022. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu, File)
By TIM DRAPER |
PUBLISHED: March 10, 2023 at 5:15 a.m. | UPDATED: March 10, 2023 at 5:23 a.m.

After 30-plus years in venture capital and seeding companies like Skype, Baidu, Robinhood, Tesla, SpaceX, Hotmail, and many others that were not so successful, I believe it is incumbent on me to do the diligence on any startup I back. If a company doesn’t work out, I take my lumps and move on. Startups by their nature are risky. *12 Investors know these risks when we write their checks.

Entrepreneurs, by their nature, are projecting a future that they want to accomplish and as my partner used to say: *7 The best entrepreneurs have a reality distortion field because they often believe that they have accomplished what they have set out to accomplish because they have done so in their minds. :bullshit:

*1 When I first met Elizabeth Holmes, she was 19 years old and told me she wanted to “change health care as we know it.” I could see how passionate she was. She is determined about what she feels is unconscionable: the system of health care in our country is expensive, unfair and *2 provides inadequate service, and it can be so much better with *4 new technologies she was attempting to build.

*11 We knew Theranos was a long shot when we backed it.[/b] *4 It was an ambitious project of incredibly advanced biochemistry and technological machinery :bullshit: that had never been conceived of, let alone buil*t, and it was trying to wedge into an entrenched, customer-controlling industry. But we took a purposeful, calculated risk with our investment and while Theranos failed, I do not regret my investment.

Although they have remained silent with respect to Elizabeth and Theranos, *3 venture capitalists have a very different attitude than what the media or the courts have to date espoused. We VCs know the risks. We know that entrepreneurs have a reality distortion field, and that is what makes them so critical to our world. It is hard to imagine a life without a smartphone :bullshit: , without a car, without indoor plumbing, without electricity. *9 It was entrepreneurs like Elizabeth who gave them to us. :bullshit:

*6 The public (and possibly the courts) has been heavily influenced by what they have read about Elizabeth in the media and the various books and movies about her.  They have turned her into a villainous caricature. This is just wrong. She is heroic for her efforts, for all the challenges she has faced and pitfalls she has overcome to bring this technology to us to change our world. It is not our proudest moment as a country when we take down one who has tried to do so much for us.

I stand by my decision to invest in Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes – however unpopular that may be. Her vision for revolutionizing health care was only partially portrayed in her efforts at Theranos, and her ideas could save millions of lives over the course of the next few decades.

On Nov. 18, Elizabeth was sentenced to 11 years and 3 months in prison. But she is continuing to fight her case. *5I believe she is not only innocent :bullsht: , but also was almost heroic. Keep this woman free. *8 She has only tried to make the world a better place. :bullshit

Tim Draper is a venture capitalist who has founded 30 Draper venture funds, Draper University, Bizworld, and two statewide initiatives to improve governance and education. He is the author of “How to be the Startup Hero – A Guide and Textbook for Entrepreneurs and Aspiring Entrepreneurs.”

So here is what I gather, correct me if you think I am wrong?

*1 So they were friends.
*2 So did her machines that she provided to Wallgreens.

*3 That's aright then, because the author of this article met her in person and he is her friend and he thinks it is okay for entrepreneurs to get away with his sort of stuff and the courts make an exception.

*4 As I recall from a documentary in 2020 and employee interviews; it was not incredibly "advanced", from what I see it just had a motherboard in it (from what I see), robotic arms to handle the glass tubes and stuff to spin the liquid and blood but they complained of it being unsafe where the glass use to break easily. Also I remember them saying that they were being built after they got a deal from Wallgreens.

Joke: Bullshit buzzword *This technology... robots, arms and needles never existed before and can only be developed by her or someone like here, like it is magical inside nevermind how it works and change things for the sake of it had they got their way and continued operating.

*5 So because the author thinks she is "heroic" that makes her innocent.

*6 Is he saying, the witnesses who came forward, Erika Cheung, who made a deal with prosecutors to testify because she was being harassed by Holmes Lawyer Bois after she left the company, is all wrong and are effectively lying and so is Tyler Shultz?

*7 What about career criminals who were only setting out what they do in their minds?

*8 So he means she made it *look* like a better place though that turtle neck and image and her cliams. No she didn't she was living off of Theranos that paid for her lifestyle, her health and legal fee's before Fortress Investments put a CFO there in 2017 who put a stop to it and cut her off then she had a fit. Not very heroic was it?

She is heroic for her efforts, for all the challenges she has faced and pitfalls she has overcome to bring * this technology to us to change our world. It is not our proudest moment as a country when we take down one who has tried to do so much for us :bullshit:

Heroic? her efforts? I thought she was only successful because her backers believed her claims and invested money into her company.

*9 He compares her as being successful and the blood testing work. As I can understand she didn't give the world anything but a lab mockup of her vision, a blood testing machines that didn't work (despite being told many years earlier why it was not practical to do it at the present time by her own college) and she went ahead and then later lied that it worked properly when it didn't.

*10 How can he compare to her other entrepreneurs?
Did they sell knowingly inaccurate blood testing services to the public.

*11 I see so he and his partner backed the project.

*12 They may do but from what i gather they did no checks and just happen to believe and invest in her.

She puts on an image of Steve Jobs with that black turtle neck, but did he deceive investors? I read something that after his comeback to Apple employers were afraid of using the lifts incase he met and sacked them if he found they had something to do with his redundancy. At least he came up with something valuable with his operating system before running out of money.

companies like Skype, Baidu, Robinhood, Tesla, SpaceX, Hotmail, and many others that were not so successful :bullshit: ,
Not successful? Well didn't Microsoft buy out Skype, and Hotmail renamed to Outlook to go with their Office 365 package. Doesn't mean they failed. So because Elizabeth Holmes put out a good image is he saying that automatically means she is successful and her blood testing machines worked?

I don't see anything wrong in someone spending a lifetime studying and pursuing something even if it may never work but for anyone to justify what she did was acceptable with what she put her staff through and the blood testing and I think this article came out of his backside.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:04:16 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: TIM DRAPER justifies why Elizabeth Holmes should be freed
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2023, 10:23:49 pm »
So because Elizabeth Holmes put out a good image is he saying that automatically means she is successful and her blood testing machines worked?
No, he is saying that in this day and age, content and actions do not matter, only appearances and emotions matter.  He is saying that because Elizabeth Holmes put out a good image and claimed to mean well, being a young attractive female, it does not matter whether her blood testing machines worked or not: she should be considered successful and good anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf