Author Topic: EEVblog site issues?  (Read 4591 times)

Offline orbiterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
EEVblog site issues?
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »
Is there a problem with EEVblog website today? I couldn't get on at all around 12.15 - 12.30pm. The site is still very slow loading again at around 3.30. All other sites seem to be working fine for me, just the EEV blog that seems very slow indeed :(

orbiter
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:51:49 pm by orbiter »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: EEVblog site issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »
Same problems here ... the server looks to struggle to stay on-line . 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »
According to the server logs, the site has been throttled for a 183secons in the last 24hours. So that does not explain any outages.
No idea, sorry. Maybe just my poor overworked shared server again. Probably time I got myself a dedicated server.

Dave.

Offline Valhallasmith

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:46 am »
According to the server logs, the site has been throttled for a 183secons in the last 24hours. So that does not explain any outages.
No idea, sorry. Maybe just my poor overworked shared server again. Probably time I got myself a dedicated server.

Dave.

If you are looking for a step up but not quite dedicated then SiteCloud.com and Rackspace have cloud hosting options.  Actually, cloud hosting is probably the way to go.  Its cheaper in the long run, can handle bursts of popularity and has less low level messing around than dedicated.  Your site doesn't have anything that explicitly requires a dedicated server.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:25:33 am »
I suggest using Bittorrent for the bandwidth-intensive video files.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:19:06 am »
I suggest using Bittorrent for the bandwidth-intensive video files.

That doesn't work for the Podcasters/iTuners etc

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:42 am »

Dave.

If you are looking for a step up but not quite dedicated then SiteCloud.com and Rackspace have cloud hosting options.  Actually, cloud hosting is probably the way to go.  Its cheaper in the long run, can handle bursts of popularity and has less low level messing around than dedicated.  Your site doesn't have anything that explicitly requires a dedicated server.

Thanks, will look into them.
The major problem would be the podcast video files. I'm doing almost 1TB of transfer per month now.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:26:58 am »
Hmm, sitecloud.com looks really good...

Dave.

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:44 am »
For a while I was getting something about "Temporary Site" when going to eevblog.com
and eevblog.com/forum was saying not found.  The temporary site looked seriously messed
up, as if some style sheet was missing or something.  Stuff looks normal now.

This was from the US in California.

Scott

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:08:42 am »
For a while I was getting something about "Temporary Site" when going to eevblog.com
and eevblog.com/forum was saying not found.  The temporary site looked seriously messed
up, as if some style sheet was missing or something.  Stuff looks normal now.

This was from the US in California.

I had something similar this morning, the site was down at least 3 times. It's all my web sites too, not just eevblog.com
Hostmonster.com continued to work fine, so it certainly looks like my overworked shared server. i think almost 1TB of data per month and all those database accesses is too much for a standard shared server. The cloud solution looks good and is cheap. I've always feared being slashdotted and have my server go down for a few days!

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf