Author Topic: ebay and 'mint' items  (Read 3265 times)

Offline linux-worksTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
ebay and 'mint' items
« on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:59 pm »
was looking for a spare portable fluke meter and came across this post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Fluke-27-II-Industrial-Multimeter-/262067824351

listed as 'MINT'.  mint usually means that its perfect, no flaws, no scratches, literally it USED to mean it was never even touched (special coins that are 'mint' have not been opened or touched by human hands, at least that's how I learned what 'mint' meant).

and yet, you have morans like this guy (sorry, but it really pisses me off) lying thru his teeth saying that a clearly used item is 'mint'.

how do people get away with this?  how come ebay never calls anyone on these kinds of lies?

sure, the photo is there so you can see that he's lying about it being in perfect condition, but still, he gets hits from his 'mint' term in the descr.

there is not even a way to report this to ebay; I've looked and I can't find a menu item that indicates the listing is not as described.  not even sure ebay would even take any action; they make money from sales and if they reject postings they lose sales.

just had to rant about this.  I see so much on ebay that is flat-out lies and yet there is no real policing on ebay anymore, is there?

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
Re: ebay and 'mint' items
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:44:13 pm »
I wouldn't have said that was mint either, looks well used to me, I guess people selling stuff try and big it up to get the hits like you say. Nobody is going to put things like battered, well worn, and grubby in their advert headlines though. 

I remember being in the market for a Nissan Primera GT a few years ago, there aren't that many about now it's true, but I came across more than one advert trying to make out that their's was some kind of rare automobile. Nissan, a mass market manufacturer churned out thousands of them.

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »
did not know about that toolhaus site!  it caches and saves old feedback?  how handy!

ebay removes old entries, and I never understood why they would do that.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:14 pm »
If you are looking for a Fluke 27 II, this is new in the box, but seller has zero feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151834314483

You might want to put a make offer of $85 USD + $14.95 s/h and see if seller bites?

The obvious caveats apply with new sellers with 0 feedback.

I have no affiliation with seller or ebay.

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:59:04 am »
yes, I did see that one.

might consider it.

thx ;)

If you are looking for a Fluke 27 II, this is new in the box, but seller has zero feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151834314483

You might want to put a make offer of $85 USD + $14.95 s/h and see if seller bites?

The obvious caveats apply with new sellers with 0 feedback.

I have no affiliation with seller or ebay.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:05:15 am »
Hm. Text search on the displayed web page does not find the word "mint" nor "perfect". Maybe he changed it?

Fact is, ebay in recent years has come down very hard on sellers - they will almost always side with a buyer in case of a dispute, particularly "item not as described". In some much-complained-about cases this has meant that the buyer gets a refund (which the seller pays for) even if they don't send the item back. If it's been used you can't claim it's "new other" and "mint" is not one of their official designations. If it's anything but "New" or "For parts or not working" you must list all deviations from "as it would be if you'd bought A-stock in a store". The lowest grade is "For parts or not working" and even in that case I know of some successful "item not as described" claims (mostly missing pieces or damage that wasn't revealed in photos).
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 06:16:05 am »
Hm. Text search on the displayed web page does not find the word "mint" nor "perfect". Maybe he changed it?
Seller changed it for sure.  See revision history change.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=262067824351&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2569

I definitely saw the word "Mint".  Maybe seller is an eevblog member?

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:18 am »
Maybe seller is an eevblog member?

That's right, it was me! Ha ha ha.

Just kidding. xD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf