Author Topic: Does a hobbyist need a Oscilloscope?  (Read 36600 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Regular Contributor
Re: Does a hobbyist need a Oscilloscope?
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2020, 08:28:43 pm »
For the beginning hobbyist, a scope is more a teaching tool than a diagnostic tool - and then gradually becomes a diagnostic tool.  But in the beginning, the scope is "the hobby" like a "hobby horse" is a hobby more than a horse. 

Well, it made sense when I wrote it.

It's interesting to observe the various perspective of those responding to "Does a hobbyist need a[n] Oscilloscope?

The categories are:

Hell, no.  He has no need for it and wouldn't know what to do with it if he had one. [The elitists]

Well, maybe, but he needs to spend at least $XXXXXXX to get one that is super accurate (but I don't know what he will be doing with it so I'm not sure how much accuracy he really needs.)  [The Speculator]

He should start off with a toy/nano/<$150 scope.  It's a good starting point he will learn from. [The pragmatist]

He should get whatever makes him happy; if he has the money he should get whatever will further his interest.  [The dreamer]

Levels of "Need"...

1. Essential (high accuracy scope)
2. Essential (moderate accuray scope)
3. Saves time on some things
4. Learning/teaching aid
5. Good to have "just in case"
6. Toy to play with 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:53:06 pm by gfmucci »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:39 pm »
For the beginning hobbyist, a scope is more a teaching tool than a diagnostic tool - and then gradually becomes a diagnostic tool.  But in the beginning, the scope is "the hobby" like a "hobby horse" is a hobby more than a horse. 

Well, it made sense when I wrote it.

It's interesting to observe the various perspective of those responding to "Does a hobbyist need a[n] Oscilloscope?

The categories are:

Hell, no.  He has no need for it and wouldn't know what to do with it if he had one. [The elitists]

Well, maybe, but he needs to spend at least $XXXXXXX to get one that is super accurate (but I don't know what he will be doing with it so I'm not sure how much accuracy he really needs.)  [The Speculator]

He should start of with a toy/nano/<$100 scope.  It's a good starting point he will learn from. [The pragmatist]

He should get whatever makes him happy; if he has the money he should get whatever will further his interest.  [The dreamer]

Haha, that's good!

I would recommend an Analog Discovery 2 as the first piece of equipment for any new hobbyist, of any age, before buying any other instrument other than a multimeter or two.  An AD2 covers all the bases and will take years for a hobbyist to fully understand... and when he/she does understand the AD2, what it does, and its limitations, he/she will be ready for more sophisticated instruments.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:43:10 pm by SilverSolder »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2020, 04:14:55 am »
Personally, I don't think it's essential to own a scope. I went two years of hardcore learning and playing around with just a RadioShack firestick and RadioShack DMM.

I bought my first logic analyzer to help me solve a specific problem. I bought my first scope to help me solve a specific problem. I bought my second scope to help me solve a specific problem. When I don't have a scope problem (and for me it's fairly rare) I could care less about a scope. Both these scope were worth the money, because the problem was worth the price.

It's better to have a purpose, in some ways. That justifies the purchase. Plus when you're having some difficult problem, it's nice to buy a new piece of equipment to set up and learn, just to shake things up. And to temporarily put the actual problem aside for a bit. To forget how out-of-your-league you actually are, for a bit, and to feel like you're automatically one step closer to the solution simply by having this new equipment on your bench. Then you get to turn work into playing with something new.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:27:33 am by KL27x »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2020, 07:55:37 am »
Personally, I don't think it's essential to own a scope. I went two years of hardcore learning and playing around with just a RadioShack firestick and RadioShack DMM.

I bought my first logic analyzer to help me solve a specific problem. I bought my first scope to help me solve a specific problem. I bought my second scope to help me solve a specific problem. When I don't have a scope problem (and for me it's fairly rare) I could care less about a scope. Both these scope were worth the money, because the problem was worth the price.

It's better to have a purpose, in some ways. That justifies the purchase. Plus when you're having some difficult problem, it's nice to buy a new piece of equipment to set up and learn, just to shake things up. And to temporarily put the actual problem aside for a bit. To forget how out-of-your-league you actually are, for a bit, and to feel like you're automatically one step closer to the solution simply by having this new equipment on your bench. Then you get to turn work into playing with something new.

That is all pragmatic and sensible (i.e. it conforms to my opinions:) )

One point that is often missed is that scopes and LAs and all other tools are complex, have a learning curve, and will lie to you in one way or another. The learning curve is an important consideration for a beginner, and is often forgotten by those with long experience.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: gfmucci

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2020, 08:04:10 am »
I did not read the 4 pages.

YES!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2020, 08:11:28 am »
I did not read the 4 pages.
I did.  :palm:  |O  :horse:

YES!
Of course.  :-+
First when needing to set thyristor based phase control timing I needed a scope and then when building logic timing circuits I needed one again.
There are some things you just can't do without one.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo, Zucca, gfmucci

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf