Author Topic: do you work out?  (Read 18782 times)

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: do you work out?
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2020, 07:14:09 pm »
Severely reducing your food options doesn't make life simpler, but less pleasurable. It mean something as simple as going out for a meal is a PITA. You might be able to kid yourself, that ordering a steak with a salad is nice, but you still don't receive the same level of enjoyment as you would, had you been able to select from the entire menu and eat everything on the plate.
Yup. I'm still eating chocolate but just less of it.
LOL, I started working out with a mandatory 1-2 chunks of a large Toblerone bar around 30 minutes prior to exercise.  Now understand that my workouts were a thorough 1.5 hours every second day with 2 all out sprints at the end.   This trick worked, and I did train physiological response in my body's metabolism to respond to the intake of chocolate.  On vacation, all I had to do was eat a 'high quality' chocolate desert, and I would literally burn & sweat off the calories from dinner as I was physiologically trained to respond that way to chocolate.  The problem is that I was now addicted to chocolate and if I would ever fail at exercising on my regular schedule for too long, I would be completely f----d up...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2020, 07:20:38 pm »
In my experience it is important to keep sugar levels up during excersize to keep the brains working. Especially when doing an outdoors activity like cycling it is important to stay aware of other traffic. My primary source for that is Coca Cola (the real stuff). I'm going through about 27 liters of it annualy but I only drink it combined with being active.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline greasemonkey

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2020, 04:22:27 pm »
@BrianHG Thank you for supporting the Swiss economy by eating Toblerone :-+. I eat chocolate too. Who would like to live without chocolate?

BTW after all your nudging about wholesome food I decided to order some carbs (steak and french fries) at the restaurant yesterday. Unfortunately it was the waiter's first day at work. Look what I got instead.

1005820-0
Man, I cannot get a break  :-DD.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:28:01 pm by greasemonkey »
My moderately uninteresting blog: https://btbm.ch

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »
I'd guess you got pork instead of steak. That looks nice enough though. Maybe it is better compared to what you ordered. Off-topic: the worst thing about restaurants is that other people order food which looks tastier compared to what I ordered.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2020, 06:33:11 pm »
Severely reducing your food options doesn't make life simpler, but less pleasurable. It mean something as simple as going out for a meal is a PITA. You might be able to kid yourself, that ordering a steak with a salad is nice, but you still don't receive the same level of enjoyment as you would, had you been able to select from the entire menu and eat everything on the plate.
Yup. I'm still eating chocolate but just less of it.
LOL, I started working out with a mandatory 1-2 chunks of a large Toblerone bar around 30 minutes prior to exercise.  Now understand that my workouts were a thorough 1.5 hours every second day with 2 all out sprints at the end.   This trick worked, and I did train physiological response in my body's metabolism to respond to the intake of chocolate.  On vacation, all I had to do was eat a 'high quality' chocolate desert, and I would literally burn & sweat off the calories from dinner as I was physiologically trained to respond that way to chocolate.  The problem is that I was now addicted to chocolate and if I would ever fail at exercising on my regular schedule for too long, I would be completely f----d up...
I'm not sure if your metabolism can be trained like that. I know your brain and nervous system can be trained to some degree, even parts you normally don't have direct control of such as your stomach. It's also true you can be addicted to something you like such as choclate.

I think it's more likely what was happening was when you did high intensity exercise, you improved your body's insulin response, so it was less likely to store fat, when you are a food high in fat and processed carbohydrates, such as choclate. The effects will last for a certain period of not exercising, but if you're prone to insulin resistance and weight gain, you'll likely put on weight, if you're inactive and eat processed high fat/carb food for too long. Obivouly you need a food which you treat as a suppliment and are confident you'll only eat, when you're active, to avoid addiction. Perhaps something which is tollerable, but not a favourite would be a better option?

In my experience it is important to keep sugar levels up during excersize to keep the brains working. Especially when doing an outdoors activity like cycling it is important to stay aware of other traffic. My primary source for that is Coca Cola (the real stuff). I'm going through about 27 liters of it annualy but I only drink it combined with being active.
I find not eating enough calories can often be problematic when doing lots of exercise. As mentioned above, when I'm really active I have issue with night eating, which worried me at the start, as I thought it would make me fat again, but then I realised, in my case, it was assiciated with an energy deficit and did not result in any weight gain.

Perhaps I should have done that when I was doing lots of cycling? If would've helped to avoid the night eating. Be careful about the caffine in Cola though and rinse with water, so it doesn't rot your teeth too much. Orange juice could be argued to be a more healthy option, but once you're drinking that much, the effect of the sugar on your body is the same and you don't need all that extra vitamin C anyway. Something containing protein is also a possibility, such as milk, but it's more slowly absorbed and is harder on the digestive system, so is probably not a good idea, before exercise. After a workout is better, as long as it doesn't blunt your appetite too much, you end up not eating as much later.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2020, 07:09:13 pm »
I'm not sure if your metabolism can be trained like that. I know your brain and nervous system can be trained to some degree, even parts you normally don't have direct control of such as your stomach. It's also true you can be addicted to something you like such as choclate.
Are you kidding me, just the though of a quality chocolate mouse for desert would get me all hot and sweating as I waited for it.  My heart beats get really deep and pounding.  Generating all that extra heat and a pounding heart for something like 45 minutes to over an hour straight is not a true sign of heightened calorie burn, IE metabolism increase.

Note that there was no chocolate or source of caffeine & concentrated sugar anywhere else in my life.  (No caffeine means no coke, no coffee, no tea.)  Those 2 Toblerone chunks were absolutely exclusively reserved for 1 time use before exercise.  The chocolate rich desert was reserved for when I was out of town and unable to exercise.  (In other words, without exercise, those 2 Toblerone chunks were also missing during these vacations.)  This trick would probably not be functional if I had other sources of caffeine or sugar elsewhere in my diet.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:33 pm »
Are you kidding me, just the though of a quality chocolate mouse for desert would get me all hot and sweating as I waited for it.  My heart beats get really deep and pounding.  Generating all that extra heat and a pounding heart for something like 45 minutes to over an hour straight is not a true sign of heightened calorie burn, IE metabolism increase.

Note that there was no chocolate or source of caffeine & concentrated sugar anywhere else in my life.  (No caffeine means no coke, no coffee, no tea.)  Those 2 Toblerone chunks were absolutely exclusively reserved for 1 time use before exercise.  The chocolate rich desert was reserved for when I was out of town and unable to exercise.  (In other words, without exercise, those 2 Toblerone chunks were also missing during these vacations.)  This trick would probably not be functional if I had other sources of caffeine or sugar elsewhere in my diet.

I don't doubt the sweating and fast heart rate, but they're controlled by your nervous system, which can be trained by classical conditioning. You can't prove it, without actaully measuring the calories burned and I seriously doubt it was that much above resting, without physically doing anything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf